• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 2,370 Views, 17 Comments

She Totally Likes Her... - Starlitomega



Rainbow likes Pinkie Pie, but Pinkie totally likes Fluttershy. Or so Rainbow thinks...

  • ...
4
 17
 2,370

Doesn't She?

"Ahhhh. Just another day of awesome weather, thanks to yours truly."

Rainbow Dash sat on the solitary cloud left in the sky, her perch from which she could survey the entirety of Ponyville for deep, statistical weather analysis.

Or maybe just a place to take a nap.

It's kinda boring today.

Rainbow started mentally listing what she could do to pass the time when a familiar pink pony entered her line of sight. Rainbow wasted no time in slinking into the cloud to keep herself hidden. Down below she saw Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy walking through Ponyville with a box from Sugarcube Corner, no doubt filled with something very sweet and tasty.

Unfortunately, even the enticement of treats came second to Rainbow. The only thing she really wanted was Pinkie. She had even been rather forward with her at the last party they attended, staying long after everypony else left to help clean.

Rainbow spent her cleanup time sitting close to the pink mare, and hinting her feelings, even going so far as to suggest they spend more time with each other in the future.

In the end though, it was all for nothing. For the last couple weeks, Pinkie had been acting strangely nervous around her. Anytime she tried to get more than a sentence out of the normally exuberant mare, Pinkie found a way to escape.

And now, seeing Pinkie spending so much time with Fluttershy, it became perfectly clear why the party pony was skittish around her.

Pinkie and Fluttershy totally like each other.

She didn't want to admit it, but Rainbow was jealous, and that was something friends weren't supposed to do—certainly not somepony awesome enough to be the Element of Loyalty. The problem was that Fluttershy would never be brave enough to admit her feelings for Pinkie Pie.

Aha! That's it! I'll help Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie get together! If can't have Pinkie, at least a cool pal like Fluttershy can! Hmmm, I'll need some help though.

Perfect! Rarity will help for sure!

Rainbow hopped off of her cloud, zoomed down to the boutique, and knocked on the door. She heard an angry harrumph from the other side.

Oops. I hope I haven't caught her at a bad time.

The door swung open revealing a miffed unicorn on the other side.

"I hope you realize you just cost me five minutes of— oh! Rainbow Dash!" Rarity's eyes brightened, and then suddenly shimmered as if she had just opened a treasure chest full of the rarest gems in Equestria.

Uh oh. I don't think I like where this is going.

"Uhh, hey, Rarity. I, uhhh, think I knocked in the wrong door by acci—Ack!"

Rarity snatched her without warning and dragged her inside. "I'm never too busy for a loyal and kindhearted friend like you! Come in!"


As she had feared, Rainbow Dash found herself gussied up in an extravagant outfit and placed on a pedestal.

"Now what were you saying, dear?" Rarity asked as she placed several needles in the dress to start her alterations.

"I said, have you noticed how often Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy hang out?"

Rarity tapped a free hoof to her chin. "Now that you mention it, they have been spending an awful lot of time together."

"Exactly! Remember the last Pinkie party we went to?"

"Mmmhmmm."

"Well, I stayed after the party, and I... might have hinted that I liked her. Since then, Pinkie's kinda been avoiding me. Don't you see what that means?"

Rarity lifted her glasses. "I never knew you felt that way about her. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you seem to be implying."

"Ugh! It's so obvious! Pinkie doesn't like me! She likes Fluttershy! That's why she's acting all nervous and stuff around me!"

Rarity gasped and dropped the needle she was holding in her mouth. It fell and stuck itself into the pegasus' flank.

"Rainbow Dash! You're absolutely right! There's no way Fluttershy will ever have the courage to ask Pinkie out!"

Rainbow plucked the needle out and rubbed the spot where she got pricked.

"Okay, first off, ouch. Secondly, I know, right? We have to do something!"

"Well, what can we do?"

"Hmmmm.... I've got it! We have a slumber party!"

"I thought parties were Pinkie's answer to everything," Rarity said, rolling her eyes.

Rainbow placed a hoof on Rarity's shoulder. "We have a slumber party, and then we play truth or dare. You ask Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie if they like somepony, and they'll have to answer, right?"

"Hmmm. I suppose that could work. With both of us working together, we're bound to get one of them to say the truth."

"Awesome! I'll go convince Twilight to have the party at her place. Thanks Rarity!" Rainbow leapt off the platform and bolted for the door only to get yanked back.

"Oh no you don't. I'm not finished yet. Sit still for just awhile longer."

“Fiiiine.” Rainbow crossed her hooves and planted her rump firmly on the pedestal.


“Can you take care of the birds while I handle this?”

Pinkie grabbed the extra large bag of birdseed she and Fluttershy purchased while put in town. “Sure thing, Flutter-Butter!”

Fluttershy watched as the pink pony dashed about the house, pouring copious amounts of birdseed into the bowls that had been set up for the birds. Fluttershy herself was busy mixing up a special mix of nuts for the squirrels.

Having Pinkie Pie help out with feeding time had been a huge boon to Fluttershy. She had even had a chance to practice some sewing lately with all of her free time. There was one thing that had been bothering her.

“Have you talked with Rainbow Dash yet?”

Instantly, Pinkie locked up. She turned to Fluttershy with a nervous grin. “I, uhhh… I haven’t.”

Just as she suspected. Fluttershy knew Pinkie had been antsy about the pegasus. She didn’t really want to push the issue, but this had been going on for a couple weeks now.

“Are you still worried about what she might say?”

Pinkie’s smile faded to a low frown as she nodded sadly.

“It seems strange that you would be afraid. I always assumed something like this would be easy for somepony like you,” Fluttershy said.

“This is super duper important!” Pinkie exclaimed as she ran over to where Fluttershy was working. “If I’m wrong about this, who knows what will happen! Rainbow might start getting weird around me, or she might ditch me as a friend altogether!” the pink mare exclaimed, pushing her face close to Fluttershy’s.

“Pinkamena Diane Pie,” Fluttershy said in a firm, yet caring tone. “Rainbow would never turn her back on any of us, and you know it.”

Pinkie sighed. “Yeah… you’re right. I just don’t know how to say it.”

“I guess she would just want you to ask her out. I—I don’t know. I’m not very experienced in these things.”

Pinkie’s head hit the counter with such force that Fluttershy couldn’t help but cringe. “I would just like to know if she really was saying what I thought she was saying at the party! If I had some way for sure to know that she really did like me, I’d love to go out with her!”

“I guess I could maybe ask her for you,” Fluttershy suggested.

Pinkie grabbed her face, holding it like one would a precious treasure on display. “Ohmigosh! Would you, please?”

Fluttershy’s eyes grew wide and her legs locked up. "On second thought... I don't think I can."

Pinkie groaned. "Awww. Oh well."

Fluttershy's ears perked up in realization. "Oh, wait! I have the perfect idea!"

Pinkie looked up at her hopefully.

"There's one way to get a pony to admit something," said Fluttershy.

"And that is?"

"Truth or dare. Next time we have a party, we can play truth or dare! When my turn comes up, I'll ask Rainbow if there's anypony in the room she likes. She'll have to tell the truth!"

Pinkie's smile would have broken her mouth had it gotten any larger. "That's perfect! Why didn't I think of that? So, we just need to start a party. How's tomorrow sound for you?"

Fluttershy ran through her schedule mentally. "I should be free. We just need to see if our friends are."

Pinkie scooped the pegasus up in a huge hug. "I get a party along with Rainbow Dash? This might be the best night ever!"


"Uggghhh."

An insistent knocking at the front door disturbed Twilight's fitful rest. Rest she definitely needed having stayed up until almost sunup. In fact, looking out the window, she couldn't have been asleep for more than a couple hours.

I'm going to vaporise whoever is foolish enough to be knocking on my door!

The alicorn untangled herself from her blanket and marched downstairs with a purpose—the complete obliteration of whoever was pounding on her front door. She opened the door, shielding herself from the bright morning sun.

"Morning, Twilight!" Pinkie greeted cheerfully. Next to her stood Fluttershy, who, despite being up at an ungodly hour, also bore a smile.

If I obliterate them, I'll just feel guilty later.

"Speak fast," Twilight instructed.

Pinkie responded by thrusting a piece of paper in her face. Twilight rolled her eyes and took the sheet. Unfortunately, her vision was still blurred. She rubbed the crust out of her eyes and looked at the paper.

You're invited to a super-duper special slumber party!

Where: The Library

When: Tonight

What: I dunno

Bring: Nothing but pj's! Pinkie Pie will bring refreshments.

Twilight looked up at the two ponies smiling back at her.

"Girls, I have to question the logic of inviting me to a slumber party that supposedly will take place at my own home."

Pinkie gasped. "That's right! We forgot to ask you! Is it okay if we have a slumber party tonight at your library?"

Twilight sighed. "I've had like, less than three hours of sleep. This is like asking your marefriend who is still throwing up in the bathroom if they want to chug a barrel of cider the morning after a crazy party."

"Pleeeaaassseee?" both ponies asked in unison, their smiles stretching even wider.

Twilight grabbed Pinkie's bottom jaw, pulling it down. She crammed the paper into her mouth and let it snap shut.

"Fine. Slumber party here, tonight. I'm going back to bed. Interrupt me again, and I'll turn you both into frogs," Twilight said as she slammed the door shut.

Fluttershy excitedly flapped her wings, lifting herself slightly off the ground. "Pinkie, she said yes! Maybe this will work after all," Fluttershy said with a smile. She jumped in surprise as Pinkie spat the piece of paper on the ground.

"Yeech! Hey, Flutter-Butter, do you think that counts as an RSVP?"


"Ahhh, nothing like a snowball on a hot summer day, right, Applejack?" Rainbow Dash asked, in between licking her frozen treat.

"Darn tootin. It's been hotter than a tin roof on during the Summer Sun Celebration lately."

Both ponies rested beneath the shade of Applejack's favorite tree. It sat in a hill overlooking the farm. Down below they could see the Cutie Mark Crusaders splashing and swimming in the lake.

"Hiya!"

"Gyaaah!"

Rainbow screamed and tossed her snowball in the air as pink suddenly filled her sight. Two deft and swift hooves grabbed the snowball before it was too late.

Pinkie tsked. "You should be more careful. You nearly lost your dessert."

Gathering her wits, Rainbow looked up and saw Pinkie hanging from a tree branch by her hind legs, dangling upside-down precariously with the snowcone. Normally, Rainbow would probably be upset and maybe even fuss at the pink pony. All that she could manage was a blush.

"H-hey, Pinkie... thanks for saving my snowball."

"It probably wouldn't have needed saving if she hadn't appeared like a bat," Applejack pointed out.

"Don't mind Applejack. She's just in a grumpy mood. Can I get my snowball back... unless you want it, of course..."

Pinkie gasped. "No way! I couldn't take your snowball! Thanks for the offer though," the pink mare said as her face flushed red. "I actually came to bring you this," Pinkie said, pulling out a sheet of paper. Rainbow scanned through it quickly.

"A slumber party? Tonight?"

"Yeah-huh!" Pinkie exclaimed clapping excitedly. "We're gonna have so much fun tonight! Anyway, I gotta go get everything ready for the party. See ya later!" Pinkie said as she passed the snow cone back and disappeared in a pink cloud of dust.

Rainbow smiled.

This is it! I can finally hook up Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie.

That smile dimmed quickly though.

"Somepony has sure got it bad," Applejack cackled.

"Yeah... she sure does," Rainbow said as she started back into her snow cone.


"A slumber party? Tonight? Why, that's absolutely perfect!" Rarity shouted, causing Fluttershy to step back slightly in shock.

"Gee, Rarity. I didn't expect you to be quite so excited about a slumber party."

Oh no. She's onto me!

"Well, uhhhh, it's been quite awhile since I've been to one. I suppose I'm just excited."

Fluttershy smiled. "Oh. In that case, I'm sure it's going to be so fun. I should probably go. I promised Pinkie I'd help out with decorations."

Rarity walked with the pegasus and opened the door for her. "Ta-ta for now, dear. I shall see you tonight."

The unicorn sighed as the door closed behind her friend. She turned to go back to her sewing machine, lining up the fabric and placing her hoof on the pedal.

"Rarity!"

The unicorn jerked the fabric in surprise, startled by Rainbow's sudden entrance punctuated by her door being slammed open.

"I take it you're here because of the slumber party," Rarity said, inspecting her misstitched fabric.

"Of course I am. We have to get a game plan going pronto," Rainbow said, smacking her hooves into each other.

Rarity re-aligned the fabric and put it back under the sewing machine. "Very well. I suppose I can talk and work. I'm just not sure how much planning we need to put into this. All we need to do is ask Pinkie if there is somepony in the room she likes. She has to say yes."

Rainbow smacked her hoof down. "No way. We need a backup plan. That sounds like something a smart pony like Twilight would do.

Rarity sighed. "You're probably over thinking this."