• Published 23rd Jul 2014
  • 1,501 Views, 51 Comments

Double Dare - Wordplay42



When Twilight Sparkle accidentally traps Rainbow Dash in one of her "Daring Do" books, she becomes the assitant to Equestria's most famous pony archeologist. Meanwhile, her friends are in a race against time to bring their friend home

  • ...
1
 51
 1,501

Chapter 16

Chapter 16-

Rainbow Dash instinctively raised a hoof to protect her eyes from the light emanating from the massive stone which sat in the center of this newly uncovered chamber. Daring Do removed the amulet from its place in the lock, though she never removed her eyes from the artifact that lay before them. Oracle took the key from her, and returned it to his bag. She did not protest.

Slowly, reverently, the three ponies moved forward, through the open stone door. Rainbow could feel the sheer power radiating all around her, like electricity in the air before a storm. It was almost overwhelming.

Gradually, her eyes grew used to the light, adjusting from the dim green glow in the other chamber to the harsh white radiance of the stone’s resting place. It took a while before she was able to gaze fully at it.

It was, undoubtedly, probably the most beautiful stone that Rainbow Dash had ever seen. She supposed she had expected it to be in the shape of a diamond, or just the generic shape of an uncut crystal. But the Alicorn’s Stone was a perfect sphere. It wasn’t a color - it was all colors at the same time, the rainbow swirling around inside and across it, like ripples on water. It shone with an inner light that bathed the rest of the cavern in its glow.

It even rivaled the sun shining in from outside.

At the realization that there was another light source filtering into the Stone’s lair, Rainbow Dash turned her gaze upward, to see that a large portion of the cavern wall was missing, obviously where the Stone had shot out to blast sections of the forest. But it seemed so innocent and peaceful now, sitting there on its stone pedestal. Rainbow Dash found it hard to imagine it destroying the jungle outside. Or doing much of anything, for that matter, besides just sitting there and looking absolutely amazing.

Daring Do moved towards it, her magenta eyes wide, the Stone reflected in them. She was absolutely amazed, Rainbow could tell. She had never seen anything like it before.

“I can’t believe it,” the pegasus whispered, coming up to stand directly beside the Stone, to look at its shining, rippling surface. “The Alicorn’s Stone. It’s real. We found it.”

Behind her, Rainbow Dash barely noticed Oracle shifting, moving towards her. The blue mare’s eyes were glued on the artifact.

“Oh my gosh,” Rainbow Dash whispered, though her voice slowly grew louder as the excitement grew inside her. “Daring, we did it! We found the Alicorn’s Stone!”

“I can’t believe this,” Daring said, still staring at the relic. “This is the archeological find of the century! This will…this will completely change history books! And it…”

“And it will be mine.”

Oracle’s voice was such a surprise, that both pegasi turned to see what he was on about. But before Rainbow Dash even moved her head, the stallion, who had positioned himself directly behind the blue mare, leaped forward, wrapping his hooves around her body and pinning her wings to her sides so she couldn’t move.

“Hey!” she yelled, struggling against his grip. “Let me go! What do you think you’re doing?”

She fought him, but the stallion was strong, and she felt cold metal suddenly press against her skin. She glanced down to see that he was holding a knife against her throat.

“Now,” he whispered in her ear, his typical smooth, calm voice suddenly gaining a harsh edge to it that sent shivers down Rainbow’s spine. “Do not struggle anymore.”

To enforce his point, he pressed the blade harder against her neck. Rainbow Dash decided that, for the moment, it was better not to struggle.

“Oracle!” Daring’s voice was like a gunshot in the eerie silence of the cave. Her magenta eyes were hard as she stared at the stallion. “Let. Her. Go.”

“Ah, Miss Do,” Oracle replied, deadly laughter in his voice. “I do not want to harm her. Just give me the Stone. Then I will let her go.”

“Daring, don’t do it!” Rainbow Dash gasped.

“I should have guessed this,” Daring spat, slowly circling Oracle. He turned as she did so, keeping a firm grip on Rainbow. “You’ve been luring us here, haven’t you? That was so very convenient that you just happened to have the key for that lock. That’s not a family heirloom after all, is it?”

“You are so smart,” he replied, sounding mock-impressed. “He was so very right about you. You are very clever.”

“’He’?” Rainbow Dash demanded. “Who’s ‘he’?”

“Quiet, my dear,” Oracle hissed, reminding the pegasus of the knife he held against her throat. “To answer your question, your friend is right. That amulet wasn’t an heirloom. An old friend of yours lent it to me, Miss Do.”

“Who?” Daring demanded. “Ahuizotl?”

Rainbow Dash fought the urge to gasp. Ahuizotl was Daring’s arch-nemesis, a creature who had fought her tooth and claw for every artifact the pegasus had ever gone after. Was he controlling Oracle?

“He is very persuasive,” Oracle replied. “And he offered quite a sum for your demise. That key was only a little souvenir from him. A sign of his good will.”

Daring Do shook her head, but her eyes were still hard.

“You don’t strike me as the kind to sell your allegiance,” she snapped. Oracle chuckled softly.

“And you would be right,” he told her. “I’m not working for that fool. He has no concept of the power that this Stone contains. He has no vision.”

“So you’re not working for Ahuizotl,” Daring said. Rainbow Dash had the feeling that she was stalling, possibly trying to lure Oracle into a false sense of security. Rainbow Dash knew that as soon as Oracle started to relax into his monologue, she had to strike.

“Then why did you need me to come with you to find the Stone?” Daring continued. “Just wanted to make his pay to you worthwhile?”

“Of course not,” Oracle replied. “I took his money anyways. No, I knew I could find the Stone, I knew it was here. I have been connecting with it for the past year or so, tracing its magical signature. I also knew that you would come here sooner or later, looking for it. I know Ahuizotl was working up some plan to search for it, and you would be inevitably behind him. I just did not realize you would be here so soon. No, I knew I could find it – I just needed your expertise to get me past the traps. No pony knows how to get into a sacred hiding place better than Daring Do.”

“’Connecting with it’?” Rainbow Dash echoed, her mind beginning to piece things together as she waited for his grip on her to loosen. “That’s what you were doing in the jungle that night, wasn’t it? Calling to it?”

“The Stone wasn’t crying out to be found,” Daring said angrily. “You woke it up!”

“The lightning was an unfortunate side-effect,” Oracle replied with a shrug.

“’Unfortunate’?” Daring repeated, dumbfounded. “Ponies could have been hurt! Or worse!”

“All in the name of discovering the most powerful relic that has ever appeared in the world,” Oracle said, his voice gaining a strange edge to it. “Ahuizotl does not understand it. The Princesses do not understand it. Even the sorcerer did not truly understand it. But I….I will be the one who will control it! I will hold the greatest wonder that Equestria has ever known!”

Okay, that’s enough of that, thanks, Rainbow Dash thought sarcastically. She felt his grip on her loosen just a fraction, and she decided to strike, ignoring the knife still near her throat. She threw a kick backwards, launching her rear hooves into his stomach and breaking his grip on her and her wings. She twisted and just missed the knife at her throat.

Oracle fell to the ground, gasping for breath. Daring nodded to Rainbow Dash, and rushed towards the Stone.

“No!” Oracle screamed, and gathered himself enough to leap forward. He literally threw himself at Daring dragging her to the ground.

“Rainbow!” Daring cried, and the blue pegasus swooped towards the Stone. She almost had it, too, the edges of her hooves inches away from its shining, rippling surface, when Oracle’s voice told her to freeze.

“I’ll kill her,” the stallion snapped. He’d pulled the knife out again, and was holding it against Daring’s throat now. He had her pinned to her ground on her back. The tan mare was desperately trying to kick him away, but he refused to let up, that glimmering knife’s blade only inches from her throat.

“All I want,” he said. “Is that Stone. Let me have it, and I will let her go.”

“Rainbow, don’t do it!” Daring told her, still attempting to struggle. Oracle bared down even harder on the magenta-eyed adventurer.

“Your choice,” he spat.

Rainbow Dash landed on the cave floor beside the Stone, looking from it to Oracle and back again. If she took it, if she carried it away from his power-hungry hooves, he’d kill Daring, or at least seriously injure her. And could Rainbow face the knowledge that she had hurt her idol? But she couldn’t just let him take the Stone! Who knew what he was going to do with it?

“I do not have all day,” he said, his voice becoming a low, hissing sound, so different from the unflappable voice of the shaman they had come to know over the past couple of days. “Give me the Stone, or she dies.”

Rainbow licked her lips, her eyes narrowing. She’d made her decision.

“You can have it,” she replied, allowing a tinge of defeat edge its way into her voice. Oracle’s eyes flashed with triumph. But she met his gaze, and her own eyes hardened.

“….If you can catch it!”

She turned, planting her two front legs firmly on the ground, and bucking forward. She raised her back hooves and launched a kick at the Stone, sending it rocketing across the chamber. Then, she took to wing and dove after it, following its trajectory and making every move to grab it from midair.

She never got there.

The sphere was in her sights, but a sudden impact knocked her off course, caused her to lose her balance in the air and crash into the cave wall. Oracle’s saddlebag fell to the ground. He’d pulled it off while he was keeping Daring hostage. The bag fell uselessly to the floor beside Rainbow, and the amulet key which they had used to open the chamber door bounced out. Rainbow snagged it, then looked up, ready to grab the Stone.

But Rainbow’s momentary displacement was all he needed. He turned, kicked Daring with his back legs, then leaped towards the sphere just as it began its downward descent.

Rainbow watched, stunned, the scene seeming to slow down before her eyes. The sphere arched gracefully through the air, and Oracle leaped up to meet it. It landed softly in his light brown hooves, and the stallion landed on his hind legs, Alicorn’s Stone held out in front of him. His face glowed with triumph.

“Finally,” he said, his voice a harsh, exalted whisper. “I have achieved what I –“

His words were suddenly cut off as the sphere, resting in his hooves, exploded to life, sending out a wave of magical force so strong, that it flung Rainbow Dash once more against the wall of the cave. The pegasus slid to the ground, shielding her face with her hooves to protect her eyes from the white-hot light.

A whine echoed through the chamber and slowly rose in volume until Rainbow realized it was Oracle’s voice – he was crying out as though in pain. Tentatively, she lowered her hoof to see.

He stood wrapped in white light. He was staring into the Stone, but his eyes were filled with the glow so that he had neither pupils nor irises. Tears streaked down the side of his face, but he seemed either unwilling or unable to pull away from the Stone’s power. It was consuming him.

“Kid!” Daring yelled at her, gesturing upward. Rainbow Dash looked up to see that the stone ceiling was beginning to crack like a broken mirror. “This whole place is coming down!”

“What do we do?” Rainbow Dash yelled back. They wouldn’t be able to get out easily. Oracle was standing in front of the hole in the cavern that the Stone had blasted for itself. And there was no way they were going back the way they had come.

Daring considered for a moment, then her eyes brightened. She struggled to her hooves, then gestured to the center of the chamber, where the Alicorn Stone’s pedestal was carved.

“Come on!” she yelled, and Rainbow Dash knew she didn’t have a choice. Leaping up, she cleared the space between herself and the pedestal in two bounds. Daring was already on top and Rainbow Dash leaped up beside her. Daring looked down at the place where the Stone had sat, and Rainbow Dash followed her gaze. In the rock was carved the diamond-and-star symbol like the one on the chamber door.

“We need the key!” Daring yelled. “It’s our only way out!”

Rainbow Dash had no idea what the adventurer was talking about, but she raised the amulet which she had snagged from Oracle’s bag after he had thrown it at her. Daring’s face lit up, and she grabbed the necklace from Rainbow, jamming the pendant into the stone carving and twisting it.

The lock glowed in a similar light to the one at the chamber door, but this time, the light shone above and around them in a rippling circle. Rainbow Dash understood from her time with Twilight that it had created a force field. Jagged flashes of lightning began to streak outward from the Stone which Oracle still held, and the rock pedestal on which the two pegasi stood shook and began rapidly rising towards the ceiling. It gained momentum as it moved into the air, rising to the rocks above which were beginning to shake loose. Rainbow Dash instinctively crouched and tensed, waiting for the inevitable collision.

The force field surrounding the pegasi broke through the cavern ceiling with an almighty crash, sending rock falling into the chamber below. Above the mayhem that Oracle was wreaking, Daring grabbed the amulet from its place in the lock. The force field rippled, blinked, then disappeared.

“We’re outta here!” Rainbow Dash said triumphantly, taking off into the air. Daring Do was right after her. Below them, the mountains shook, and Oracle’s lighting blasted into the sky.

~**~

Twilight stood a long time alone, amongst the fallen boulders, searching her heart and mind for what to do. What if their quest to save Rainbow Dash had caused her other friends to…

No, she couldn’t think of that. She had to keep looking. Either for them, or for Rainbow Dash. If she couldn’t find the others, then she would have to find Rainbow alone, save her from the fate of the assistant originally in the book. She couldn’t forget what was still at stake here.

The unicorn stumbled over the rocks, her heart heavy. Where were her friends? How could this have happened?

She had walked a few paces on, continuing down the now-destroyed path, when she heard the faintest of noises.

“Twilight?”

Twilight froze, her ears flickering around her. Had she heard her name called? She didn’t want to get her hopes up….

“Twilight?”

This time it was a little louder, still sounding like a soft whisper. But it was closer. And coming behind her.

Twilight turned quickly around, her heart pounding in her chest.

Her entire body flooded with relief so great it almost made her cry. There, amongst the dust and the fallen boulders, stood Fluttershy. The timid yellow pegasus looked dusty and startled, but unharmed.

“Oh, FLuttershy!” Twilight breathed, remembering to keep her voice down, and ran towards her friend, embracing her. “I thought I’d lost you all! Where are the others?”

“We thought we’d lost you, too!” Fluttershy said, hugging her friend back, clearly relieved. “We hid in a cave a little ways down. We didn’t know what had happened to you!”

“Twilight, thank goodness,” Applejack’s voice was also at a whisper, but the earth mare was clearly just as relieved. Twilight looked up to see the other ponies approaching. They all looked dusty and a little worse for ware – even Rarity hadn’t managed to get away clean. But they were all together. The five ponies embraced each other, happy they were all safe and back together.

“Well, now,” Rarity said after they were finished hugging each other. “As much fun as that was, Twilight, darling, how close are we to finding Rainbow Dash? She could be anywhere in these mountains.”

Twilight had to admit that Rarity had a point. She had just supposed they’d keep going until they discovered something that would help them find the pegasus. But with these avalanches, she wanted to be out of here as fast as possible just like the others.

The unicorn was just opening her mouth where the ground began to shake. Applejack frowned.

“Another rockslide?” the earth pony asked, a hint of exasperation in her voice.

“Oooh, a lightshow!” Pinkie Pie cheered, looking somewhere over Twilight’s shoulder. The others followed the pink pony’s gaze.
Twilight’s eyes immediately widened. One peak, unobtrusive and physically unremarkable amongst the other peaks around it on a normal day, was now shining, ringed with a halo of white light, obviously magical. It glowed brightly enough to be clearly visible even in the daylight. And it was shooting lightning.

In fact, as they stared, a bolt streaked across the range and struck the mountain the ponies stood on, lower than where they were.

“Ah’m no expert,” Applejack said. “But that seems ta be where we want to go, don’t ya reckon, Twi?”

“That’s it!” Twilight said, a mixture of amazement, excitement, ad panic flooding through her all at once. “That’s where the Alicorn’s Stone is hidden! We have to hurry, or we’ll be too late to help Rainbow Dash!”

“How will we get there?” Rarity asked. “There’s no way we can run there fast enough!”

Twilight considered for a moment, then straightened, her face growing taught with determination.

“I’ll have to teleport us,” the unicorn said firmly. Fluttershy’s eyes widened,

“Oh, Twilight,” the yellow Pegasus said, uncertain. “Are you sure you can do that? It’s so far!”

“And there’re five of us,” Rarity pointed out. “That’s going to be a hard spell.”

But Twilight shook her head, waving off their uncertainties.

“I was able to transport Rainbow Dash into an alternate fictional world,” she said. “I know I can teleport five of us from one mountain to another. I have to.”

“Alright, Twilight,” Applejack said, sounding just as uncertain as the others. “Only if yer sure…”

“Everypony just stand still for a second,” Twilight said, closing her eyes and forcing herself to concentrate. She had transported herself and sometimes one other friend once or twice, but never this many. This would take everything she had. But it would be worth it. For Rainbow Dash.

Twilight took a deep breath and focused all her energy on her magic. Her horn lit, the familiar purple aura surrounding it as the magic flowed through her. She concentrated here mind hard on those around her, whom she wanted to teleport, then the place where she wanted to go.

This is it, she thought. You can do it, Twilight. For Rainbow Dash!

The magic surged out of her, and immediately she felt herself and those around her disappear, winking momentarily out of the universe. Then, her magic struggling under her control, they reappeared, clear across the mountain range and at the base of the one that Pinkie had spotted – the Alicorn’s Stone’s resting place.

Twilight stumbled unsteadily on her hooves, but Applejack caught her and held her up. The magic expenditure for that spell had taken a lot out of her. But she had done it! She’d teleported five ponies! By herself!

“I did it!” she laughed, in awe at herself.

“That’s great, Twilight,” Applejack said, staring over the unicorn’s head into the distance. “And Ah’d congratulate you and all, but right now, we have bigger problems.”

Twilight turned her head and looked up, and gaped.

Above them, the top of the mountain exploded as white light shot forth from within.

“Where are Rainbow Dash and Daring Do?” Fluttershy asked, her voice barely audible above the commotion of the magical explosions happening above them.

“I don’t know!” Twilight replied, pulling herself back to her hooves. “But come on, girls! We have to find them!”

Without another thought, the group of ponies leaped into a gallop and raced up the side of the mountain, towards their friend who was somewhere in the midst of the chaos.

~**~

Rock exploded upwards, causing Rainbow Dash and Daring Do to have to dodge the debris.

“DARING DO!” a voice thundered from below, and with a flash of magical light, Oracle himself ascended from within the chamber of the Stone to hover in mid-air before them. He was still holding the sphere, and his eyes were glowing white. Rainbow Dash was shocked to see that ghostly wings seemed to have sprung from his shoulders; the shadow of a horn spiraled from his forehead.

“That Stone’s too powerful for you!” Daring yelled at the shaman. “You don’t know what you’re doing!”

“I know I will destroy you!” he boomed, his voice magnified a hundred times. It shook the mountains around them. Rainbow Dash was glad she wasn’t on the ground.

Or not.

White lightning shot from the aura of light that surrounded Oracle, arcing towards Daring and Rainbow. The two pegasi barely managed to miss it, and Oracle let out a laugh of earthquake-proportions.

“This Stone will be my victory!” he yelled as lightning continued to explode outwards, searching the sky for the two ponies. “I will be Equestria’s new ruler! The Princesses will bow before me! All will see that I AM THE TRUE LEADER!”

“Yeah, keep dreaming,” Rainbow spat sarcastically at him.

Daring narrowly missed another strike.

“We have to get that Stone away from him!” she yelled to Rainbow. The blue pegasus nodded, giving the adventurer a mock-salute. She turned to line up her shot, but a call from Daring held her back.

“Distract him!” the tan mare commanded. “I’ll go for the Stone! Go!”

Rainbow couldn’t say she was entirely happy about being shunted to “distraction duty”, but she did as Daring told her, zipping around to the side of Oracle to direct his attention away from Daring. The shaman turned blank, shining white eyes in her direction. His stare was creepy.

“Hey, Oracle!” she yelled at him. “If you’re so big and tough, why haven’t you hit me yet?”

Oracle growled.

“Do not taunt me, puny pegasus!” he yelled. “I am so much stronger than you!”

“Then prove it!” Rainbow shouted, flicked her tail at him, and took off. He yelled angrily after her, and she felt a bolt of lightning zip past her body and smash against a farther mountain. She changed direction, dodging deftly as Oracle attempted to roast her alive. After dodging one particularly close bolt, Rainbow looked over her shoulder to see Daring taking the advantage of Oracle’s distraction to fly straight towards the sphere which the stallion clutched so tightly. Rainbow Dash’s heart leaped in her chest, as she watched the tan Pegasus make her move.

Rainbow’s own momentary distractedness allowed Oracle to hurl another bolt of lightning towards her, and Rainbow Dash had to tear her eyes away from Daring in order to dodge it. When she looked back, though, she couldn’t believe what she saw.

Daring was inches away from the Stone, her hoof stretched out to touch it, to knock it from Oracle’s grasp. But despite Rainbow’s attempts as distracting Oracle, the earth stallion, hyped up on the Stone’s magic, was not to be easily outwitted. He apparently felt her near, and turned shining white eyes towards her. Immediately, Daring’s body froze in midair, and she hovered there, completely immobilized, as if held by some invisible force.

Oracle leered at her.

“Good show,” he told her, a smile creasing the corners of his mouth, but his voice as cold as a winter’s wind. “But you are no match for me, Miss Do.”

“Let her go!” Rainbow Dash yelled, streaking towards Oracle. However, the same force that was obviously holding up Daring wrapped itself around her, too, freezing her in midair so she couldn’t move. She felt trapped, worse so than those tight tunnels in the caverns. More like a rat in a trap. She didn’t like it.

Somewhere far off, she heard her name called. She looked to Daring Do, but the tan pegasus was focused on Oracle. Her magenta eyes were filled with fire.

“You’ll never get away with this, Oracle!” she yelled at him. He stared at her for a moment as though trying to understand if she was serious or not. Finally, he scoffed.

“I do not need to ‘get away’ with anything,” he replied. “I have enough power to conquer the whole of Equestria and beyond! Why should I be worried about ‘getting away’?”

Daring’s face creased in concentration, and Rainbow knew she was struggling to break her bonds. But the magical grip around both pegasi wasn’t going anywhere. She glared bitterly at him.

“It has been fun, though, has it not?” he asked them, his white eyes flicking between Daring and Rainbow. “But now, the party is over, I fear. Too bad this is how the legendary Daring Do goes out. If it makes you feel any better, it is an honor for me to be your end.”

It was like being flung from a slingshot, Rainbow Dash considered. Without so much as another word or thought, Oracle released his grip on both pegasi, sending them flying through the air in opposite directions. Rainbow Dash twisted in the sky, her wings struggling to catch her weight, the stone side of a mountain coming up very fast, ready to meet her face.

Fortunately, she pulled up just in time, barely missing a head-on collision with the rock wall. She performed a perfect back-flip, turning herself back around towards Oracle, whose attention was completely on Daring. He’d sent her flying in the opposite direction of Rainbow, and the blue pegasus turned in enough time to see Daring fail to recover as Rainbow had done. The tan pegasus hit the side of the mountain with a dull “thump” sound that made Rainbow Dash shudder. The adventurer fell to the ground, unconscious.

“Farewell, Daring Do,” Oracle hissed. A bolt of white lightning arced from the glowing aura surrounding his body, and streaked towards the rock wall which towered above the fallen pegasus. Once the electricity hit the boulders, it exploded into a rain of rocks which began to fall, as gravity demands, right towards the unconscious Daring.

One particularly large boulder began teetering precariously backwards and forward, inching its way to the edge. If it fell….

Rainbow Dash didn’t even give herself time to think. There was no way she was going to let Oracle do this to Daring. There was no way that Rainbow Dash was going to let her idol get crushed by falling boulders. They’d come this far! Daring wasn’t going to die for this!

The pegasus dived. Wind buffeted her body as she streaked downward. The rocks were falling as though in slow motion, making their descent towards Daring’s still form. None of the big ones had hit her yet. But it wouldn’t be long.

The largest boulder tipped, pulling away from the mountain. It began to fall.

Sweat prickled on Rainbow Dash’s forehead. She forced her wings to work harder, forced her body to become more streamlined. She wasn’t going to let Daring get hit. It wasn’t going to end like this.

Oracle’s laughter was piercing and haunting. It rang it Rainbow Dash’s ears.

Somewhere far off, she heard her name called again.

She hadn’t flown like this since the Best Young Flyer’s competition in Cloudsdale. But she knew a Sonic Rainboom wouldn’t help her now. All she needed was to get Daring out of the way.

For a moment, she realized that if she managed to get Daring out from under the rock slide, she wouldn’t be fast enough to save herself. But it seemed like such a minor detail that she hardly gave it any heed. All that mattered was flying, and reaching Daring, and making sure she was okay.

Someone had to stop Oracle. Daring had to stop Oracle.

She was moments away, the boulder was feet away. For a long, agonizing eternity that was probably only a few milliseconds, Rainbow Dash was terrified that she wouldn’t get there in time.

But then her hooves were stretching towards Daring. Rainbow Dash crash landed into the ground, thrust Daring out from the way of the rock slide, sending the pegasus sliding further down the mountain. The adventure’s eyes flickered open.

Rainbow Dash knew she didn’t have time to escape the falling rocks. She’d replaced Daring with herself. She didn’t have time to same both of them.

She barely had time to close her eyes and wait for the boulder to hit her. But she did anyway.

She heard her name called again. It seemed to be closer this time. Maybe it was Celestia’s way of calling her to the next life.

She waited for the pain.