• Published 22nd Jul 2014
  • 6,136 Views, 273 Comments

Blankness - Zaid ValRoa



When a mysterious plague strikes Ponyville, everyone is faced with a challenge that defies one of the very principles on which their society is built. To which degree are ponies defined by their cutie marks?

  • ...
18
 273
 6,136

7

“C’mere everypony!” Applejack hollered, making sure that the ponies of the market heard her clearly, “get your apples, fresh from the farm!”

Apple Bloom watched as her sister kept tending their stand, her gaze wandered over the market, not focusing on anything in particular.

“It sure is a slow day, ain’t it, ‘Bloom?” her sister asked, through a forced smile, doing her best to sound cheerful on behalf of her sister, but only succeeding in making a frown appear on Apple Bloom’s face.

“Oh, c’mon Apple Bloom, there’s no sense in bein' gloom,” her sister said. She then blinked and gave a light chuckle, “Heh, I just spoke like Zecora, ain’t that somethin'?”

“I don’t think that’s funny, Applejack,” Apple Bloom said, dryly.

Applejack was taken aback by her sister’s reaction. She remained silent while she scratched her head in thought, wondering what she should say to her little sister. After a few seconds of silence, Applejack removed her apron and threw it over the stand and knelt down, until she was lying on the grass right next to her sister.

“It’s okay to be angry, Apple Bloom,” she said.

“No, it ain’t okay,” the earth filly said abruptly, “I shouldn’t be angry because none o' this should. Be. Happenin'!”

Apple Bloom’s outburst caught her sister by surprise. The filly’s lip quivered, but she scrunched her muzzle and laid her head down between her forelegs, facing away from her older sister.

“Listen to me Apple Bloom,” Applejack said after a couple of seconds of silence.

The filly didn’t raise her head, but she perked up her ears, showing that she was listening. “I don’t blame you for feelin' that way, ‘Bloom,” Applejack said as she rested her hoof on her sister’s shoulder, which Apple Bloom promptly shook off. Shocked, but undeterred, Applejack kept talking, “with all that has happened, I’m amazed you’re takin' it this well.”

Apple Bloom buried her head in her forelegs even more, as if she was trying to disappear between them.

“Celestia knows I probably couldn’t have taken it when I was your age,” Applejack added in a whisper.

The filly squirmed in place, and Applejack took this as a sign to keep going, “I meant what I said, Apple Bloom. You are the strongest filly I’ve known and don’t you forget it.” After saying this, Applejack crossed her hooves and looked up, “I have to keep tendin' the stand, we have to get rid of all the apples we have left, hopefully somepony will—” she was interrupted by a yellow blur that had tackled her side.

“I’m sorry,” Apple Bloom said, her voice muffled by her sister’s coat, "I shouldn't have said all those thin's."

A smile tugged at Applejack’s lips as she hugged back the little filly, “It’s alright, ‘Bloom,” she said, gently stroking her sister’s mane.

“Hello?” came a sing-song voice from the front of the stand.

“Sweetie Belle?” Apple Bloom asked, pulling herself away from her sister and rubbing her eyes.

“Hi, Apple Bloom!” Sweetie Belle said, “Hello, Applejack.”

“Hi, Bloom. Hi Applejack” Scootaloo said, jumping from her scooter.

“Hi, girls,” Apple Bloom said with a decidedly happier tone, “what are you doin' here?”

“We wanted to come see you,” Sweetie Belle said.

“We thought we could hang around,” Scootaloo said, “since y’know, there’s no school today.”

The words of the pegasus caused Apple Bloom’s shoulders to sag, but she was back to normal before the other two fillies could notice.

“Sure thin',” she said before scrunching up her muzzle and turning around to face her sister, “I can go, right, AJ?” she pleaded.

Applejack chuckled and rustled the filly’s mane, “'course you can, sugar cube. It’s not like ponies are doin' a lot of buyin' today.”

“Yeah, they all seem to have come just to talk to each other,” Scootaloo said as she jumped back on her scooter, “G’bye Applejack!”

“Good bye, Applejack,” Sweetie Belle said as she started to walk.

“Bye, AJ. I’ll be back in a while,” Apple Bloom said as she followed her friends, none of them noticing the grimace forming on the face of the farmer.

“Come back to the farm before sunset, you hear me?” Applejack said, rising her voice. She grabbed the apron from the cart and struggled to put it back on, hoping to focus on selling the remaining apples she had, however, she couldn't help throwing sideway glances at the ponies who were on the stands next to her.

Scootaloo was right; they weren’t here to buy, if the small groups of murmuring ponies were any indication.

“C’mere everypony!” Applejack yelled again, doing her best to avoid eavesdropping on the other ponies, “get your apples, fresh from the farm!”

And yet, she failed.


“It’s insidious, that’s what it is,” the yellow stallion said, jabbing a hoof on his friend’s chest.

“Calm down, Caramel. You’re starting to freak me out,” the other stallion said as he ogled the jars of honey in front of him.

“That too, why are you so calm?” Caramel said.

“Because I’m choosing to trust the measures taken by the Princess, that’s why."

“Speaking of whom, why didn’t she come to the lockdown?” Caramel asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Well, if this thing's really serious, maybe she didn't want to risk spreading the disease, I don’t know, why are you asking me?” the brown earth pony replied.

“Hey, Turner,” the honey vendor said, catching the attention of both stallions, “you’re a learned pony, aren’t you?”

“Well, I…” Time Turner fumbled with his words, “I guess?”

“I know you are,” she said before leaning towards the two stallions and whispering conspiratorially, “do you have any idea of what’s going on?”

“Yeah, Turner, you’re a history buff. Do you know if anything like this has ever happened before?” Caramel asked back.

“What? No, of course I don’t,” Time Turner said, taking a step back. “If Princess Celestia’s personal student doesn’t know what’s happening, what makes you think I do?”

“I don't know, man. This whole situation is messed up, I don’t know what to think.” Caramel threw his hooves in the air, looking befuddled.

“I think it’s a curse,” the honey vendor said, crossing her hooves over her chest.

“A curse? Seriously?” Time Turner asked.

“Well, how else would you explain what’s happening?” the honey vendor asked back.

"A curse makes no sense. Who would even be casting it?"

"Hey, weirder stuff has happened."

"Okay, yes. Even still, why target random ponies?"

Caramel shrugged. The honey vendor leaned over her counter, resting her head on her crossed hooves.

"I still think it's a curse."

"Of course..."

"Maybe the curse wasn't aimed at some ponies, but to the entire town. Maybe all of us have been cursed, but it’s just waiting to happen,” the honey vendor said.

“That’s grim... What do you think, Turner?” Caramel asked.

“I…” Time Turner paused, opening and closing his mouth a couple of times before sighing, “I don’t know… I just don’t know.”


“I tell you, it’s all a bunch of nonsense,” the old donkey said.

“Doodle! What an awful thing to say,” Matilda shot back.

“It’s the truth, Matilda. Some ponies got a dye job on their flanks and now everyone is panicking,” Cranky said.

Matilda looked around with a grimace, "Still, Doodle, cutie marks mean a lot to ponies, you can't blame them for being afraid."

"I can and I will," Cranky said, shifting under his saddlebags. "These ponies are losing their minds over nothing."

"I don't like your tone, Doodle," Matilda said with a huff, "just imagine how Pinkie Pie would react if she lost her cutie mark. The poor dear would be devastated."

The donkey stopped on his tracks and his shoulders slumped as he sighed. He looked towards the building shaped like a pastry and let out a long, disgruntled sigh.

"I suppose you're right, Matilda," Cranky said. "Ponies really do care about their cutie marks. I guess this whole thing can be pretty upsetting for them."

The couple shared a smile before Matilda spoke again, "I'm sure it is, Cranky. Come on, let's go home."

"It's still not fair that we're stuck in here," Cranky mumbled.

"Doodle, this is only going to last until they solve this little problem," Matilda said back.

"Alright, alright," Cranky said as he started to walk.

And after a quick nuzzle, both donkeys made their way out of the market.


“They seem to think it’s a disease, don’t they?”

“That’s what I heard,” the mare next to her said, “though I don’t know what kind of disease could do something like this.”

“Didn’t a filly get sick and started getting random cutie marks a few months ago?” the first mare said, “maybe this something like that.”

“And to think you girls doubted me when I got those hazmat suits,” a third mare added.

“This is not the time to be smug, Daisy, this is a serious problem,” Rose replied, her voice torn between scolding and pleading.

“How long do you think the town is going to be in quarantine?” Lily asked her friends.

“Until they find a solution to this problem and they can cure the sick ponies, isn’t that the purpose of a quarantine?” Roseluck said.

"I suppose," Lily said, crestfallen.

"I think it's some sort of punishment," Daisy said after a few moments, catching her friends off-guard.

"What?" Rose asked, dumbfounded.

"Daisy! How can you say such a thing?" Lily said, staring at her friend with a frown.

"Well, think about it," Daisy said, arching an eyebrow, "you get your cutie mark once you realise what your talent is, right?"

The other two mares nodded, though not without a certain discomfort.

"Then what would it take to make it disappear?" Daisy asked.

"What... What do you mean, Daisy?" Rose asked her.

"Well," Daisy said in a low tone, leaning towards her friends, "You know how Davenport started selling pencils on his store instead of just quills?"

"You don't really think that's what caused him to—" Lily stopped and gulped before continuing "—you know..."

"I'm just saying it's quite a coincidence..." Daisy said as she turned around, "and I also know that Green Jewel started using low quality gems, and you saw what happened yesterday at Town Hall."

"That's kind of harsh, Daisy," Roseluck said, grimacing.

"Maybe, but I think it makes sense," the mare said back, and with that, she pulled some of the biggest and most colourful flowers from the stand and began tying them together.

Roseluck and Lily stared at their friend, then at each other, not knowing what to say. Finally, they looked back at their flowers and, shaking their heads, went back to tending the stand.


"Well, that sucked," Scootaloo said as she and the other Crusaders left the market behind.

"Everypony is really sad, they must be worried about what's happening," Sweetie Belle said.

"Well duh, of course they are worried, Sweetie Belle," Scootaloo said, "this whole situation is crazy, and it's making everyone nervous."

"But it is gonna be solved, right?," Sweetie Belle said.

"I guess, that's why the Prin—Oof!" Scootaloo yelped as she bumped on Apple Bloom, who had stopped walking and was looking down at the ground and was breathing heavily. Scootaloo rubbed her shoulder and looked at the yellow filly with a puzzled look

"Apple Bloom, are you alright?" Sweetie Belle asked, as she walked towards her friends. She was about to lay a hoof on Apple Bloom's shoulder when the earth filly turned around quickly.

"Right? You wanna know if I'm right?" Apple Bloom yelled, causing her friends to flinch.

"Hey, 'Bloom—" Scootaloo started, but the earth filly began yelling again.

"I ain't right, girls, I'm everythin' but right!" Apple Bloom had her eyes closed and was shaking her head violently

"Apple Bloom, calm down," Scootaloo said with a worried expression on her face.

"No, Scoots, I don't wanna calm down. I wanna yell, and I wanna go home, and I want to go into my room and cry until this whole thing ends and I don't even know what else 'cause right now I don't know how to feel, and I think I could just—" Apple Bloom's rant was abruptly interrupted by a loud yell in the distance.

"Wow, how did you do that, Apple Bloom?" Sweetie Belle said.

"That... that wasn't me," the earth filly said, dumbfounded. Her anger now forgotten, she looked in the direction the scream had come, "That sounded like..."

Scootaloo let out a loud gasp as realisation dawned on them, "That was Rainbow Dash!"

"Let's go, girls!" yelled Apple Bloom, turning around and running in the opposite direction, closely followed by the rest of the Crusaders.


"Nothing out of the ordinary, sir," a guard said.

"The barrier went up without a trouble," her partner added.

"Very well," Sergeant Bold Spear said back, "If any problem arises, just follow the protocol and inform me or Lieutenant Shield immediately."

"Yes, sir!" both guards said at unison as they saluted.

Twilight stared at the guards as they discussed the routine they would follow. She wasn't really paying attention to what they said, which didn't go unnoticed by Spike.

"Hey, Twi..." Spike said, bringing the unicorn back to reality.

Twilight blinked a couple of times before addressing the dragon, "Yeah, Spike?"

"Why are we going with the Sergeant to check the outposts?" He asked her. Once Twilight didn't respond, he talked again, "It's not as if we are really helping in anything."

"I guess I just didn't want to be cooped up in the Library all day," Twilight said. It would just remind me of how ineffective I've been, she didn't say.

"Alright... What are we going to do once the Sergeant finishes his check up, then?" Spike asked again.

"I've been thinking about that, actually, I want to talk to the Mayor and have a meeting to decide what course of action we should take," Twilight said.

"Oh... ok" Spike said, not knowing what else to do to try to cheer up his friend.

"You were right about something, though," Twilight said, still looking forward.

"I was?" Spike asked in incredulity.

"Yeah..." Twilight trailed off, looking at the Sergeant speak with the guards, "I can't keep blaming myself for this."

Spike couldn't help but crack a smile, in spite of the situation, "That's good to hear, Twi."

Twilight kept staring forward, breathing slowly. She knew that she couldn't let this get to her, at least not more than it already had.

"That will be all, then. Go back to your positions," the Sergeant said, catching Spike and Twilight's attention.

"Yes sir!" both guards replied in unison.

"I assume there are no problems with this one either, Sergeant," Twilight said.

"Indeed," Sergeant Bold Spear said turning around to face the unicorn, "There is only one more outpost to check and that will be it for the day."

"Alright, then. Let's—" Twilight said, but was interrupted by an intense yelling coming from somewhere not too far from them.

They all turned around , trying to find the source of the loud discussion.

"What..." Spike said, looking at the direction the scream had come from.

"That... that was Rainbow Dash," Twilight said. Immediately, she bolted forward, running towards the source of the yelling, "come quickly, Sergeant!"

"Lead the way, Miss Twilight," Sergeant Bold Spear said as he galloped behind the unicorn.


"Miss, I'm going to need you to remain calm," the guard said, trying to remain calm himself.

"Don't you Miss me, what the hay is going on here?" Rainbow Dash said, pushing away the guard, "What is this thing?" The pegasus kicked off the ground and hovered above the guard, far from his reach.

"Miss, if you could calm down, then—" the light gray stallion tried to talk to the frazzled pegasus but was ignored.

"I told you to tell me what's this!" Rainbow Dash yelled.

"Like I was trying to say," the guard said, nervously, "Ponyville is in state of quarantine, Miss, and I can't let you—"

"Quarantine? What are you talking about?" Rainbow Dash said, arching an eyebrow, "I'm just trying to get back home."

"Miss, I'm going to have to ask you to come with me," the guard said, mustering all the courage he could.

"Save it, pal. The only place I'm going is home, so get this thing open now," the pegasus demanded, causing the guard to flinch.

"Rainbow Dash!" came a yell from inside of the barrier.

The pegasus perked up her ears and hovered towards the purple~ish screen that separated her from the town, "Squirt? Is that you?" Rainbow Dash said, closing the distance to the barrier as a trio of fillies came into her view.

"Rainbow... Dash..." the orange filly panted as she stopped running. Once she reached the barrier, she lifted a hoof and placed it on the barrier's surface, "what are you doing outside?"

"I had to go to Cloudsdale for a couple of days, and I come back to find that the whole town is inside of a bubble!" the pegasus said motioning towards the town with a hoof, "and numb-flanks over there isn't being any help," she added with a flick of her mane.

"H-hey!" the guard said, but was ignored.

"Is Trixie back in town? Is that what's happening?" She asked, arching an eyebrow as her ayes trailed along the curving shape of the dome.

The crusaders shared a look of confusion between them before looking back at the blue pegasus.

"Y-you mean you haven't heard?" Scootaloo asked, hesitantly.

"Heard what?" Rainbow Dash asked, "Ugh... I swear, everypony is being so cryptic it's not even fun."

"There, uh... There has been some stuff going on in town..." Scootaloo said, kicking the ground. She looked at her friends, hoping to find support from then, but they were equally nervous.

"Scoots, what did I just say about being cryptic?" The pegasus said, crossing her forelegs.

"It's a disease," Twilight's voice came from behind the pegasus, causing the five ponies to turn and face it, "The town is infected and that is why a state of quarantine was established."

Twilight came trotting down the edge of the quarantine barrier, closely followed by Sergeant Bold Spear on the outside.

"Twilight!" Rainbow Dash said, brightening up, "Thank Celestia you came."

"Sergeant!" the first guard saluted, "I was trying to get the lady to cooperate and come with me."

"At ease, Radiant," the Sergeant said.

Twilight stared at her friend in disbelief, "Rainbow... How?" she said in a low voice.

"What is this disease you're talking about, Twi?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"A... a disease has been detected in Ponyville, and Princess Celestia declared a state of quarantine to prevent it from spreading to the rest of Equestria," Twilight said.

"What disease? Did everyone get the feather-flu, or something?" Rainbow Dash said, staring at the group in confusion.

Everyone looked at each other, not sure about how should they break the news to the pegasus. The crusaders had fell silent, as did Twilight and Spike; meanwhile, Sergeant Bold Spear turned around and mumbled some orders to Private Radiant.

"There's an unknown plague in Ponyville," Twilight said after a moment of silence, "it's causing some ponies to... to lose their cutiemarks."

Rainbow Dash stared dumbfounded at her friend, almost as if she hadn't heard her correctly, "Losing their cutiemarks? Are... are you for real Twi?" She said with a nervous edge on her voice.

"Miss Sparkle speaks the truth," Sergeant Bold Spear said, walking towards the pegasus, "which is why we would like to know what are you doing outside of the quarantine."

Rainbow Dash looked at the slightly rose-tinted dome that covered the whole town, "How can something like that happen, Twi?" she asked.

"It's what we're trying to solve, the Princess sent a medical team from Canterlot and they're doing their best to solve this," Twilight said.

"Yeah, and Twilight is doing her best too, Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo said, giving a step forward.

An uncomfortable grimace appeared on Twilight's face, but it disappeared before the rest could notice it. It was nice to know that everypony trusted so much in her and held her efforts in such high regards, but thinking about the events of the last couple of days, and how she had handled this issue, she didn't think she deserved it.

Her lack of reaction when she had found out, keeping the information from the Princess and the rest of Ponyville. Twilight couldn't help but chastise herself for not acting differently, and as much as she wanted to blame the shock of finding out about what was going on, she knew she still could have done much more.

"Miss Dash, I am Sergeant Bold Spear and I have been entrusted by the Princesses with the safety of this town and to make sure the integrity of the barrier is not compromised," the Sergeant said, and when he spoke again, even the otherwise brash and confident Rainbow Dash was put off by his stern tone, "and by the authority that was bestowed upon me, I will ask again, what are you doing outside of the barrier."

"I... I had to go to Cloudsdale to clear the paperwork of Tuesday's storm," the pegasus said.

The storm, the storm that had hit Ponyville just as the plague began to manifest, the damned storm that had prevented them from realising what was happening before it was too late.

"That storm took place two days ago, Miss Dash, why are you returning now?" the Sergeant said.

"Well, I don't really go to Cloudsdale that often, so I went to visit my dad and stayed overnight, and now I come back to see that reality has flipped itself upside down!" Rainbow Dash said, and as she did this, a small group of guards led by Private Radiant arrived and positioned themselves behind the Sergeant.

Sergeant Bold Spear closed his eyes and took a deep breath, "Then we know what we must do," he said before turning around and facing the guards, "Private Radiant!" he called.

"Yes, sir!" the gray unicorn said, giving a step forward.

"We must inform Cloudsdale immediately, clear things with Lieutenant Shield and have her send a message to the Mayor immediately," the Sergeant said.

"I'll inform the Princess, Sergeant," Twilight said.

"I will be counting on it," the Sergeant said, not looking at the unicorn.

"Ok, then. Now how about letting me in so you can go do your guard stuff?" Rainbow Dash butted in, a nervous smile on her face.

"I am sorry, Miss Dash, but I cannot do that yet," Sergeant Bold Spear said.

"What?" Rainbow Dash, and the Crusaders yelled at unison.

"What do you mean you can't let her in?" Apple Bloom said.

"You can't just leave her outside," Spike chimed in, leaning from Twilight's back.

"We will not leave her outside, she must be processed first," the Sergeant said back to the filly.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a minute, Mister Sergeant. What do you mean processed?" Rainbow Dash said, waving her front hooves as she flew towards Sergeant Bold Spear.

"Don't worry, Rainbow Dash, it's standard procedure," Twilight said, "the medical team just has to see if you are infected or not."

The guards trotted towards Rainbow Dash, circling her.

"H-hey, back off," she said, nervously, as she slowly rose up.

"Miss Dash, do you want to be let in?" Sergeant Bold Spear said, rising his voice, and causing Rainbow Dash to look straight at the white earth pony in front of her, "then you should let us and the medical team do our job, let us process you and then you can go back home."

Rainbow Dash stared into the Sergeant's eyes, almost as if trying to discern whether or not she should trust him.

"Please, do not make this any harder," the Sergeant added in a softer tone.

Everyone remained silent, and no other sound could be heard save for the beating of the pegasus' wings. The guards stood surrounding Rainbow Dash, waiting for her to come down; Sergeant Bold Spear was behind them, seeing how the situation developed. Inside of the barrier, Twilight, Spike, and the Crusaders stood motionless, waiting for Rainbow Dash to either comply or rebel.

Finally, after what felt like minutes of waiting, Rainbow Dash landed on the ground and gave a sigh, "It's... it's only a medical check up, right?"

The Sergeant gave her a silent nod.

Rainbow Dash looked at the guards and then back at the sergeant. After a few more seconds of silence, she spoke, "Okay, fine. Let's do this."

"What are you going to do to her?" Scootaloo said, nervous as well.

"The medical team will take a look at her and then we will wait for their diagnosis, that is all," the Sergeant said, back to his stern tone.

The pegasus kept staring at the guards around her before turning her back on them, and pressing her hoof against the rose-tinted barrier, "You're trying to solve this too, aren't you, Twi?" Rainbow Dash said.

Twilight was surprised by the pegasus reaction, but she still managed to give her some encouraging words, "I promise you, I'm going to get to the bottom of things."

"Miss Rainbow Dash," the Sergeant said, "please."

"Trust them, Rainbow, it'll all be over soon enough," Twilight said, trying to reassure her friend.

Rainbow Dash frowned, but gave no other sign of discomfort as she landed and trotted towards the guards. They positioned themselves around the pegasus, and motioned her to start walking.

Twilight's gaze followed Rainbow Dash as the guards took her away, and during all this time she didn't remove her hoof from the clear, rose-tinted barrier, "Everything’s going to be just fine, Rainbow, trust me!" the unicorn yelled, hoping her friend would hear her, "E-everything's gonna be ju—" the words died on her throat, and the unicorn let out a soft whimper, just as her friend disappeared into a tent.

"Twilight..." Spike said, trailing off. He didn't know what to say to cheer up his best friend, nor did he have to, for a stern voice caught their attention immediately.

"Is there anything else you forgot to mention, Miss Sparkle?" Sergeant Bold Spear said as he grimaced.

"I... What?" Twilight asked, dumbfounded, as she slowly turned around to face the Sergeant.

"The letter of the Princess was very clear. You were to inform the citizens about the quarantine and more importantly," he stomped his hoof on the ground for emphasis, "do not let anyone leave the town."

Twilight opened and closed her mouth a couple of times, unable to form words. She looked in the direction the guards had gone and took a deep breath, "Sergeant Spear, I'm sorry, but I couldn't—"

"Forget it," the Sergeant said dryly, "the barrier has been up for less than six hours and we already have a containment breach!"

Twilight was taken aback by the Sergeant's outburst, she quickly regained her composure, however, and replied to him with almost equal strength in her words, "Sergeant Bold Spear, this isn't my fault, I didn't know Rainbow Dash wasn't here, I couldn't have known!"

"That's right. She's been dealing with a lot of trouble in town, she can't be aware of what everypony is doing!" Spike yelled at the Sergeant.

"Spike, don't," Twilight whispered at the dragon.

"Don't what? Defend you from this guy?" Spike said with a mild anger tone in his voice.

"Spike's right, you didn't do anything wrong, Twilight!" Scootaloo said, eliciting comments of agreement from the other Crusaders.

"Girls, that's enough. Spike, you can't talk like that to Sergeant Bold Spear," Spike was about to interject, but Twilight cut him off, "Regardless of how inaccurate his accusations may be."

Sergeant Bold Spear's lips tightened, he closed his eyes and flared his nostrils, visibly trying to calm himself down, "I am going to need you to take a census of everyone in Ponyville, Miss Sparkle," he said, opening his eyes and walking towards the barrier, "because if there is someone else missing from this town, then we all have bigger problems than we originally thought."

Twilight bit her tongue and took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down. She knew that the Sergeant was right, but that didn't mean that she had to like his tone. She looked straight at him and talked back, "I'll let the Mayor know right away."

"Once you are done, inform one of the guards and they will contact me," the Sergeant said, coldly. He then turned his back on Twilight and started to walk in the opposite direction, he had only taken a couple if steps before stopping and looking at Twilight over his shoulder; he lingered there for a second, staring at the unicorn with an indiscernible stare, before shaking his head and silently walking towards the nearest tent.

Twilight rested her head against the magic barrier and let out a deep sigh, the feeling of uneasiness and dread that had been eating her away for the last three days were nothing compared to the anger welling up inside of her right now, "Now what, Twilight..." she mumbled to herself. She gave the barrier a hard kick, and she closed her eyes with all the force she could muster, trying to ignore the increasing tightness she felt on her throat.

"Miss... Miss Twilight?" a voice called her from behind, making her jump and turn around.

"Oh, A-apple Bloom? You girls are still here?" Twilight asked as she rubbed her eyes; for a moment, she had forgotten about the Crusaders. Once she opened her eyes she saw the trio of fillies staring at her, each one sporting a frown on their faces.

"Are you ok?" Sweetie Belle asked her, "you seemed pretty upset."

"I'm alright, girls, I was just resting for a moment," Twilight said, trying to keep her composure.

"You sure?" Scootaloo asked her.

Twilight nodded and gave the girls what she hoped was a reassuring smile, "I'm sure, girls. I just have to go talk to the Mayor," she said, standing up.

"Well... Ok," Apple Bloom said, the frown still present on her face.

"Yeah, and you should probably head home, it's getting late," Twilight said as she stood up.

"What about you?" Sweetie Belle asked her.

Twilight didn't answer immediately. Instead she looked at the town, slightly squinting her eyes in a determined stare, "I'm going to Town Hall. There are matters I must discuss with the Mayor. Let's go, Spike."

"Bye, girls," Spike said, turning around and waving at the Crusaders before jumping on Twilight's back.

"Be sure to get home safely," Twilight said , already leaving the Crusaders behind and walking straight to Ponyville.

The Crusaders waved at them before Twilight turned at a corner and they disappeared behind a building.

"Twilight, what are you going to do?" Spike asked her once Town Hall was in their sight.

"Sergeant Bold Spear ordered a census, and I'll be making sure that it's carried through; but I'm not going to let Ponyville stand idle while everyone else makes decisions for us," Twilight said.

"What do you mean, Twi?" Spike asked.

Twilight went up the stairs of the veranda of Town Hall. She stopped in front of the doors and took a deep breath, "It's about time we took matters into our own hooves."

After saying that, Twilight threw the doors open with her magic, and strode into the building.


"Well, that sucked," Scootaloo said in a low, sad voice, trying to break the silence that had fallen over the Cutie Mark Crusaders Clubhouse.

"'Course it did," Apple Bloom said dryly, "everythin's just wrong."

"What do you think will happen now?" Sweetie Belle asked, timidly, catching the attention of both of her friends.

"I don't know," Apple Bloom replied, the same tired monotone from earlier seeping into her words.

"The barrier is going to stay up, that's for sure," Scootaloo said, tracing the grain on a plank of wood with her hoof.

"But for how long?" Apple Bloom said, standing around with a jump. "You've seen how everypony is actin', and that bubble thin' is been up for just a day! What do you think will happen after a week? Or in a month? How do you think they're gonna react then?"

Her breathing had gotten ragged, as if she'd ran all the way to the clubhouse. For their part, Sweetie Belle only looked down and buried her face between her hooves. Scootaloo, simply stared back at her, mouth opening and closing.

"Apple Bloom... You... you need to calm down," Scootaloo said, extending a hoof as she walked towards her friend.

"No, Scoots! I don't wanna calm down!" Apple Bloom yelled, tears now threatening to come out of her eyes, "I wanna know why does this have to happen and I want it to stop!"

"But they're working on it," Scootaloo protested, "aren't they? Twilight and those doctors?"

"They don't know what's going on, who knows how long is going to take them to solve this," Apple Bloom shot back, her voice threatening to crack with every word that came out of her mouth. "My family's been acting all weird. They try 'n hide it, b-but I can see it. Granny Smith, Big Mac, even Applejack... I don't understand what's happening, and nopony seems to know! Not Miss Cheerilee, not Twilight, not even the guards, or the Princesses!"

Scootaloo closed the gap between them and grabbed the shaking filly by the shoulders, holding her in place. "Apple Bloom, listen to yourself!" she yelled, "this isn't like you, this is not Apple Bloom! What's gotten into you?"

The earth filly didn't answer, she just looked down and bit her lip.

"'Bloom, I get it, I really do. This whole thing is awful, but you gotta trust Twilight. She has always pulled through before, hasn't she?" Scootaloo said, causing Apple Bloom to raise her head and look at her friend, "And hey, if it does come to the worst, you know you'll always have us."

Her breathing slowed down, almost returning to normal. She didn't feel any better, but at least she didn't feel she was about to lose her mind. She forced herself to keep a neutral expression, and surprised herself with how little resistance her body offered.

Perhaps she was also tired of feeling so hopeless.

Apple Bloom looked into Scootaloo's eyes, bright and full of nervousness that mirrored her own. Yet her friend still tried to cheer her up. Tried to keep her mind from wandering into terrible places. With a bit more effort, the earth filly managed to crack a smile. A small smile, one that would certainly make Pinkie Pie raise objections, but a smile nonetheless.

"Crusaders 'til the end, right?" she ventured, her voice sounding just a tiny bit stronger than it had moments ago.

Scootaloo smiled as well, "Crusaders 'till the end. What do you say, Sweetie Be—?" The pegasus' words died on her throat, and so did her smile once she saw her friend lying on the ground, heaving. Her quiet sobs could barely be heard, but it broke her friend's hearts all the same.

"Sweetie Belle..." Scootaloo said, approaching her friend with tentative steps.

"Sweetie Belle, sorry for that. I ain't feelin' well, I shouldn't have reacted like that," Apple Bloom said as she rubber her eyes.

"It's... It's not that," Sweetie Belle said back, in between sobs.

"Sweetie Belle, you can tell us what the problem is. We're your friends," Scootaloo said.

"It's just that..." Sweetie Belle said, catching her breath, "Miss Cheerilee lost her cutie mark, and Diamond Tiara too, and so did Miss Harvest, and a lot of other ponies as well."

"I know, and I feel bad for them too, Sweetie Belle," Scootaloo said as she walked towards the unicorn, "but we have to believe that they can find a solution to this, we can't just—"

"But what if..." Sweetie Belle said, cutting off her friend, "what if we never get our cutie marks?"

The other two crusaders fell silent as the realisation hit them.

"Ah... I..." Scootaloo mumbled, not being able to form a coherent sentence due to the shock.

She hadn't thought of that. As worried as she'd been over how everypony was reacting to the disease, she hadn't stopped to consider how it affected her. She didn't have a cutie mark yet, so she assumed she would be unaffected. However... Sweetie Belle brought up a good point. If this illness took cutie marks away from ponies, could it stop her from getting one in the first place?

A sidelong glance told her Scootaloo was just as lost as her. What could even be said to soothe that fear? The seconds passed, and Sweetie Belle's sobs turned to muffled whimpers.

While she may be young and not know much, but she knew her friends. And Scootaloo was right. Whatever happened, they had her back, and she would have theirs. Apple Bloom stared at the white filly, who was clearly on the verge of crying again. She walked towards her and lifter her face with her hoof.

"Sweetie Belle, listen to me."

The little unicorn sniffled, but managed to look up at her friend. Apple Bloom did her best to draw strength she didn't have, to express the waning faith she had left. With a low, but steady voice, she spoke, hoping for Sweetie Belle and for herself that she could sound reassuring. "Truth is... I don't know what's gonna happen. Can't say how long it'll be before things get better."

Sweetie Belle seemed to be holding back tears, but she kept listening.

A deep breath, and Apple Bloom kept talking. "But we've gone through lots together. I know they didn't work out in the end, but I appreciate every time we went crusadin'. I still had fun. I still am glad we tried all that, because we did that together. So, even... even if..." her voice caught in her throat. "Even if it comes to that, we'll face it together. I'll have your back, 'cus I know you'll have mine. No matter what may happen, we'll face it together as friends."

Part of her wondered if she should do something more to reassure her friend. Big Mac sometimes patted her head to cheer her up. Before she could consider that any further, Sweetie Belle threw herself over her friend and started crying again. Apple Bloom hugged her as the tears started to flow from her own eyes as well.

Scootaloo didn't say anything. She didn't call out her friends for being mushy, she didn't blew a raspberry at them or tried to ignore them as she often did when her friends got too sentimental. She simply trotted towards them, and hugged her friends.

That evening, the Crusaders didn't say anything. They simply lay in each other's embrace, offering whatever comfort they could, wondering what tomorrow might bring.