• Published 22nd Jul 2014
  • 436 Views, 0 Comments

Waxing Lyrical - Imperator Chiashi Zane



A series of short stories (under 2000 words) based around songs

  • ...
 0
 436

Lips of an Angel (FlutterDash, light FlutterMac/ SoarinDash)

Rainbow Dash rolled over at the sound of her phone buzzing on the floor. With a groan, she reached for it and glanced at the face. Fluttershy. She darted across the room, yanking the phone off the floor as she slipped out into the hallway and shut the door in a silent movement. She pressed the button and raised it to her ear, half-checking the time on the wall-clock. Two A.M.
“Flutters?”
The butter colored Pegasus on the other end made a half-choked sound, and Dash flinched, “Are you okay?” She whispered, making an effort to not wake Soarin from his snoring on the bed.
Another sound, a barely audible one that Dash recognized from her closest friend. She glanced over her shoulder at the closed door, ignoring the sleep-muttering of ‘pie’. “Geez, ‘Shy, I can barely hear you. Speak up.” Her brain started puzzling through the words Fluttershy managed to get out at a high enough volume for the phone to pick up.
Another glance at the door behind her, and Dash ran a hoof through her mane, teeth pressing on her lip. The words she was hearing from her friend. Yes, Dash was happy that the two nearly mute ponies, Fluttershy and Macintosh Apple, had finally gotten together. She had almost cried when they announced their first date. Almost. She was a Wonderbolt, and stars didn’t cry.
A blue hoof scribbled out a rough note on one of the scraps of paper lying around. A poster maybe, she couldn’t really tell in the dim lighting provided by the phone. But for the scratching of the pen on paper, and the background snoring from both Soarin, and Macintosh, over the phone, there was silence.
She stuck the note to the fridge with a lump of cloud, and grabbed her saddlebags and the scarf Fluttershy had knitted for her back when they were fillies. It was ratty and tattered, and still far too big, but it was a symbol now. With one last glance at the door, she pulled the scarf up over her muzzle and slipped out onto the porch. “’Shy, I’m on my way. Hang on.”
She hung up her phone, and slipped it into her saddlebag before flipping off the side of the porch and diving at the ground. She reached the middle of Ponyville proper and banked into a level coast, speeding through the town silently. Without flapping, she curled around the hill and rolled up over the gate of Fluttershy’s small cottage. She twisted her wings and hard-braked. Without a sound, her hooves touched down on the grass, denting the delicate blades, not that she cared at that point. She reached the door, and was about to knock when it crept open. Yellow slid out the door, trailed by pink as Fluttershy squeezed past the solid sheet of wood.
No sounds passed between the two, just unspoken messages. Rainbow calmly wrapped her hooves around Fluttershy and lifted her into the air, carrying her up into the sky, “C’mere, Flutters. I’ve gotcha.”
A nearby cloud made a seat for the two Pegasi to settle onto, and Rainbow loosened her grip on the smaller Pegasus, “I’m here for you. Always.” Yellow lips met blue as Fluttershy melted into Rainbow’s arms. The blue Pegasus simply sat there, arms wrapped around her friend, wings encasing them both as the yellow alternated between kisses, sobs, and various other sounds Rainbow knew intimately, but could not describe. The emotion she always attempted to keep tucked away bled out as she held her friend.
Sitting still was not one of Dash’s particularly strong abilities, except when she was sleeping, but she couldn’t fall asleep now, not with Fluttershy in her arms, weeping. Slowly, she came closer to her friend, responding to the touch, pressing back as Fluttershy kissed her. The smaller Pegasus was starting to tire, she could tell, and Dash let her wings go limp, revealing the pair to the moon overhead.
“I’m sorry Dashie. I couldn’t…” Dash flinched at Fluttershy’s words.
Her own voice came back alien, disturbingly soft for the boisterous mare, “’s okay, ‘Shy. I know how it is. I know how hard it is to leap off that cliff for the first time. I was there once too. ‘Sides, you’ve always got me. Always.”
Fluttershy looked into Dash’s eyes, tears leaking from the edges, “I…Thank you.”
Dash smiled and pulled her friend close again, letting the yellow Pegasus fall asleep on her shoulder. Whatever stresses Fluttershy had running through her mind had vanished the moment her chin had hit Dash’s back. Every time. Fluttershy would do something outside her comfort zone. She would have a breakdown. She would find Dash. They would make out, sometimes more. Fluttershy would fall asleep on Dash’s shoulder.
The blue Pegasus peeked over the side of the cloud, checking that it wasn’t drifting away from the cottage before settling her head to Fluttershy’s back and returning to her sleep.
__
Luna looked down from the sky at the two Pegasi, observing them silently. Those two Pegasi, Loyalty and Kindness, both acted together as one, and shared everything. She remembered that from before her ‘Evil’ period. Though Luna and Celestia had never gone quite as far as those two, more than once Luna had found Celestia in her arms, seeking comfort the world was unable to provide the Solar diarch. Of course, it happened the other way too. Luna remembered waking up in Celestia’s arms after bad daymares. Not unlike the rare occasion she had to see Rainbow seeking comfort from Fluttershy.
She dipped down and gently moved the cloud closer to the ground, where it would be safe from the brilliant rays of the rising sun, but still high enough to hide both Pegasi in its embrace, “Sleep away your pains, my little ponies.” The Diarch of the moon floated away, gliding on the lunar wind, up into the sky to watch over the rest of her sister’s subjects until the sun awoke.

Author's Note: