• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 16,071 Views, 1,166 Comments

The Stranger and Her Friend - TheUrbanMoose



Before she was the Princess of the Sun, she was merely a stranger.

  • ...
15
 1,166
 16,071

XIX: Farewells

They stood in a mostly open field outside the walls of Canterlot, broken up only by a small cottage and the plants that grew behind it. It was evening, and the landscape basked in the golden light of a sun heading towards the horizon.

“It’ll be just fine.”

“Are you sure it isn’t too much trouble, Mrs. Tart?”

“Please, dear, I’m not that old. Call me Cherry Tart. And it ain’t no trouble at all.”

Lucky Break let a small smile onto his face. For some reason, that ever-so-slight drawl in her tone was pleasing to his ear. “I just feel bad for leaving it so long in your care. I call it mine, but really, you tend to it more than I do.”

Cherry Tart gave a tired grin back. “Don’t you worry, dear. Such a lovely garden deserves to be taken care of. And besides, it’s so small, it’s hardly a burden at all. Honestly, it’s more like a nice stroll outside the city than it is a chore.”

Lucky turned to her. “Thank you, Mrs. Tart.”

She scowled. “Now what did I just say about callin’ me ‘missus’?”

He chuckled. It really was not something he actively thought about. She did look old, after all, old enough to prompt the title of “missus”, something he said only in respect. Cherry Tart was still very able, but her age was beginning to show, with wrinkles around her eyes and skin not as taut as perhaps it could have been. Her coat was a light cherry color, almost pink, and her mane was the same, albeit on a darker scale, like red wine. They both seemed to be in good health, but age sapped at their vibrancy, giving them a seasoned, but not unpleasant, appearance. The plumage of her wings was as thick and healthy as ever. Lucky supposed she was somewhat old, somewhere in her late forties, if he was forced to guess.

Of course, he never would guess, especially not around…

“Oi! Did I ‘ear somepony callin’ my wife old?”

Both of them turned around and saw Apple Crumble coming towards them, quickly descending from the sky. He gave his wings a series of rapid beats before touching down. A small dust cloud flew up around him as his hooves made contact with the dirt path, but he had enough decency to land a small ways off before approaching them.

Lucky turned towards him. “Actually, we were talking about you.”

Crumble rolled his eyes, but did not respond.

“Ah, s’no trouble, honey. I was just givin’ the colt a hard time.” She gave a sideways glance at Lucky, and winked.

“Heh, ‘course yeh are,” Crumble said, finally reaching them. He drew close to his wife, and they held each other in a quick but loving hug. “How are yeh, darlin’?”

“Oh, just fine,” Cherry Tart said, drawing away from the embrace and giving him a light peck on the lips. “Lucky here was just askin’ if I would keep watchin’ over his garden while he was away.”

“Ah, ‘course he is. Colt’s too lazy to do it ‘imself.”

“Oh, Crumble,” she protested, pushing on his shoulder. “You of all people should know.”

“The only thing I know,” Crumble responded, directing his gaze towards Lucky, “is that he’s crazy fer not just givin’ the place to somepony else, or jus’ lettin’ it die out. Silly garden seems more trouble than it’s worth.”

Lucky was about to respond, but was cut off by another voice.

“Who has a garden?”

He wheeled around to see Celestia, descending towards them with wings outstretched. She came from the direction of the sun, and it framed her body with a brilliant halo, giving her form a shining golden outline. Every curve of her body, every notch in her feathered wings, had a heavenly edge, and cast a beautiful shadow. The light made her mane seem more vibrant than it was. She appeared to be utterly angelic, an effect that was entirely lost as she touched down much too fast, nearly tripping as she stumbled across the ground, wildly flailing her wings while trying to negate her forward momentum.

“I’m okay,” Celestia said, shaking her head back and forth as she came to balance.

Lucky seemed surprised to see her. “You look…” He paused, eyes flicking to the corners of their sockets. “…well.” He turned back to Crumble. “Is her training already over?”

“Yes, sir, it is,” Celestia said, answering for him. She assumed a more rigid posture.

Lucky blinked. He still was not used to hearing that.

Of course, it was to be expected. Over the past few weeks, Celestia had trained nearly nonstop with the Maiden’s Battalion. Though there had been no “incidents” akin to her first session in the dueling ring, she had performed admirably, and exceeded his, along with everypony else’s expectations. Her magic left much to be desired, but she at least had the basics of levitation down, along with some other, minor things. Her flight was not quite up to par with Battalion standards, but she was at least as agile as a “normal” pegasus recruit might be in a “normal” division.

Her swordplay, however… it really was something to see. Celestia was a definite force to be reckoned with, a whirlwind of pink and white and shining steel in the dueling ring. The ungodly reflexes she had displayed when first crossing swords with the soldiers of the 21st had not diminished in the slightest. She fought with the skill and tenacity of any veteran; nopony could best her. It surprised many, frightened some, but more than anything else, it impressed everypony.

Outside of the physical training, she learned how to don armor, maintain equipment, how to keep oneself healthy, how to march, how to take orders, what certain orders meant, and a thousand other things that a soldier needed to know in order to become combat effective. Lance Corporal Allez had reported excellent results from jousting training, which was, strictly speaking, the earth ponies’ most vital part of any battle. Once Celestia had discovered how to direct and charge with the armor-mounted lance, she had been a terror indeed. Her aim was not legendary by any means, but when she managed to connect with her target when charging, it usually resulted in the target sailing through the air. Or, when jousting, resulting in her opponent being flattened to the ground.

Celestia seemed to possess a natural strength that nopony had ever suspected, especially considering the size of her body. She was not too small, but she certainly did not look strong. Over the weeks, she had begun to hone her skills and build her muscle, but even from the outset, she had always been very capable. She certainly was not the strongest in the battalion, not by a longshot, but again – it was surprising.

Inexplicable strength; that was an earth pony trait. Regardless of size, earth ponies had an advantage when it came to raw force. Even if they did not look it, Gaia’s blessing flowed through their veins, and often times, a thinner-looking earth pony could best a thicker-looking pegasus or unicorn in contests of strength. The most apparent example that came to Lucky’s mind was Crumble and himself; the pegasus was undoubtedly larger, but Lucky was undoubtedly stronger.

Many strategists and specialists, including himself, were all thinking of ways for a pony with the attributes of all three races to be most effective in battle. Celestia had yet to implement her unique traits in any meaningful way, but considering her performance with roles that earth ponies traditionally took on, he sometimes wondered if she even needed to. That was certainly where she had gained the most respect. The entire battalion loved Celestia as a comrade, and almost as a mascot, but she had gained a special place in the minds of those of the earth tribe.

Of course, aside from all this, being a part of the military meant knowing who one’s superior was, and addressing them as such. This meant Celestia saluted him, came to attention in his presence, and called him “sir”. It was... strange.

“Aye,” Crumble said, bringing Lucky out of his train of thought. “Today’s the last training day, tomorrow’s a day off, the next day we’re preparing to leave, and then on Thursday, we’re off. Thought I’d let ‘em go early today. Spend some time with their family n’ friends, n’ all that.”

“Oh, yeah.” Lucky nodded. “Sure.”

“So I don’t know ‘bout you, Lucky,” Crumble said mischievously, turning towards Cherry Tart, “but I plan to spend the rest o’ the day in beautiful company.”

“You rascal,” Cherry muttered at him. They made loving eyes at each other, and rubbed noses playfully.

“And Celestia?” Lucky asked, turning towards her. “Why are you here?”

“Oh, I jus’ brought her ‘ere to meet the wife,” Crumble said, answering for her.

“And actually, Commander,” Celestia interjected, “I was wondering if you’ve seen Cotton. She was at the courtyard, trying to, er, train with Crumble…”

Lucky shot Crumble a questioning look, but he just shrugged.

“…But then she left, and now I can’t find her. I’m worried. She’s been sort of distant, lately…” She trailed off before snapping back to attention, and formality. “…Sir.”

Lucky blinked, again. It was still strange. Usually, his relationship with his soldiers went from formal to less formal as he got to know them, not the other way around.

He shook his head. “No, I’m sorry. I haven’t seen her.”

“Hmmm.” Celestia lowered her head in thought, and said no more.

Crumble spoke up. “On that note, Lucky, yeh may wanna take yer time sayin’ goodbye to whomever. Yeh know it’ll likely be yer last chance before tomorrow.”

Lucky shrugged. “Yeah.”

Cherry Tart gave him a concerned look. “Yeah?”

He just shrugged again. “There’s nopony, really.” His tone was nonchalant.

“Oh, surely there must be somepony, dear!”

“No…” He paused. “Actually, yes, there is. Thank you for reminding me.” He promptly turned, and began walking back towards the city. After a few steps, he turned back, and added, “And thanks for taking care of the garden!”

Cherry Tart smiled. “Anytime, dear!”

With that, he walked off, becoming smaller in the distance.

“There he goes…” Crumble said nonchalantly. “Oh! But where’re my manners? Celestia, I’d like you to meet the most lovely mare in all of Canterlot…”

For the next few minutes, Cherry Tart and Celestia introduced themselves, and pleasantly chatted about various things, like Celestia’s exploits as a new soldier, and Cherry Tart’s profession as the palace’s baker. After a while, the conversation came to a still, and Crumble excused them.

“Well, we’d best be off. Get some rest, Celestia.” Crumble gave her a pat on the shoulder. “You’ve done well.”

“Thanks, Crumble.” Celestia smiled. Even though Crumble was her superior, he had made it clear that she could address him informally… in the right situations, of course.

Cherry Tart took a place at her husband’s side. “It was nice talking, dear. I really do hope to see you again sometime.” She leaned in, and whispered conspiratorially to her. “Keep my husband away from those Manehattan fillies, if you pass there. Gods know he can’t control himself.”

Celestia laughed. During their conversation, she learned Crumble had met Cherry Tart in Manehattan.

“I will.”

Crumble rolled his eyes. “Well, we’ll be off. I’ll see yeh later, Celestia. ‘Member, yeh only have a day an’ a half to say yer farewells, an’ after that, we’re preparin’ to be gone.”

Celestia nodded, and they began walking towards the city, side by side. Crumble slowly extended one wing over his wife, and pulled her closer very suddenly. Cherry Tart laughed at her husband’s boldness, and Celestia giggled at the subsequent play fight which involved nothing but the two of them bumping into each other’s side as they walked.

Eventually, Celestia flexed her wings in preparation to fly back to the city, but a thought struck her, and she folded them back in again.

“Hey, wait!” she called after them. They both turned around, distant but still within talking distance. “This cottage…” Celestia said, pointing towards the very modest home to their side. “Whose is it?”

Cherry Tart answered. “Oh, it’s Lucky’s, dear.”

Celestia tilted her head, and raised an eyebrow. “Doesn’t he live inside the palace? In the officer’s quarters?”

“Oh, sure,” Cherry Tart said, nodding her head, “but he likes to keep a place out here, too. Built it himself. He keeps a lovely garden, as well, tends to it as a hobby. ‘Cept, seein’ as he’s gone most of the time, he asks me to keep it alive while he’s away. It’s out back, if you wanna see it.”

“Sure.” Celestia looked at the house for another moment, before turning to them and waving. “Goodbye, and have a good evening!”

She winked. “I will. You do the same, dear.” They turned, and continued walking.

Celestia eyed the cottage again. It was likely only one or two rooms maximum, but she knew it probably was not her place to go inside. She was interested in seeing Lucky’s supposed garden, though.

Walking around a thin dirt path that wrapped round the wooden home, she made her way to the back. Sure enough there was a garden. She stopped in place when she realized what exactly it was. There were four separated quadrants of the garden, with plants held in place by small, elevated garden boxes that were each only a few square yards in size. The plants themselves grew taller than her; she would have to fly is she wanted to properly see their tops. She did so, and was impressed by what she saw.

It was full of tall, lovely flowers, with strong green stalks and healthy springtime foliage. Whenever a wind blew in, they would gently cascade in one direction, seeming to whisper as their leaves rustled beneath them. It was obvious that some of them had been recently picked. Their type was instantly recognizable; she had certainly seen them before. Those golden-yellow petals were unmistakable.

**********

He gave an amused smile, and chuckled.

“Whenever I’m up here, the sun is always near one of the horizons.”

Lucky gazed at the western horizon, actually admiring the scene before him. The Canterlot cemetery was higher than many of the clouds in the valley below, and he was able to see the soft golden-yellow sunlight reflecting off of their tops. It was a beautiful reminder.

“The sunflowers are in full bloom, now.” He reached into a saddlebag, and produced a bundle of flowers, carefully untying them and laying them in front of a headstone. “Pretty, aren’t they?”

The only reply was the whispering of the wind. The smile on his face faded into something more melancholy. For a long time, he just stared at the headstone, reading and rereading the inscription, inspecting the artwork below the name.

Daylight

The Maid of Canterlot

27au --- 50au

Victoria intra bellum, Armonia postea.

And then, the depiction of a half-sun cutie mark.

“Hey, I…”

He paused, not really knowing what he was going to say. A million thoughts raced through his head, each more important than the last, each demanding attention, some asking for confession. He did not know where to start, or what to say, or how to say it.

After a long while of standing in silence, he decided to simply speak, even if it meant rambling. Daylight was never one for gilded tongues anyways. Not when being spoken to, at least.

“I’m leaving. Taking your battalion away. I know you don’t mind, that’s what you said you wanted. But I, uh, I’ve never really done anything like this. Not without you, I mean.” He rubbed the back of his head, running his hoof through his mane.

“I probably shouldn’t worry. I’ve commanded the battalion before. I just… never did that without you making sure I didn’t screw it up.” A small chuckle mingled with his last words.

“Lightning Sky is the new pegasus lieutenant. I don’t know if I said that before. Think I made the right choice? He was always a good sky captain. Sound mind, capable flier, sticks to the rules, but can be creative. Politician for a wife, and they have one little filly. Crumble thought he was fit for the job. We’ll see. The other two lieutenants seem to like him. Speaking of which, Spell Trick and Climber are the same as ever. That is to say, the unicorn gets into trouble that I have to bail him out of, and Climber is constantly late to everything. How did you deal with them? I can’t get them to shape up. They respect me, but not like they respected you.” He shrugged.

“I guess I’ll figure it out. Also, I know I’ve said this before, but we have a new recruit, and she…”

He stopped. There went his words again. He had so much to say, and now it was gone.

“You can hear me, right?” He leaned in closer to the headstone, as if beseeching it to respond. “Right? Father Bright says you’re still with us, in a way. I actually don’t know if I believe that. Even if I did believe it, I don’t understand it.”

He scowled and looked away, sighing and shaking his head. “I’m confused. I just…” He looked back to the headstone. “Where even are you? Heaven? Somewhere else? Here? Because sometimes I feel like you’re… here.” He vaguely motioned to the air around him.

Lamely, he put his hooves down, and fell into silence.

“I guess I do believe you’re around. Somehow, sometimes. I’ve seen too many miracles to think otherwise. I know they say miracles don’t build faith, but they were some damn strong miracles.” He chuckled, and weakly smiled. “Maybe I should go talk to Father Bright?”

A small gust of wind blew one of the sunflowers out of place. Carefully, Lucky nudged it back into its arrangement.

“Well, I won’t bore you with details. If you’re in Heaven, I shouldn’t disturb your peace, and if you’re… around, somewhere… well, you already know.”

Solemnly, he touched his lips to his hoof, and then touched the top of the headstone.

“Goodbye.”

He turned, and began walking away. He had only made it a few steps when suddenly, he stopped, and perked his head up as a thought struck him. He turned back towards the headstone.

“I forgot something. That new recruit?” He paused. “Well, nevermind that. But about your last request. I just wanted you to know that I did hear you. As much as I wish I didn’t, I did hear you. And I’d like to say… well, it’s hard. Harder than you made it sound. But actually, I think I can do it.”

He nodded to himself. “Yeah, I think I can do it.”

There was a pause, and he chuckled to himself. “I’m bad at saying goodbye, huh? Can’t just turn around and walk away without finding something else to talk about. That’s okay, though.” He turned back to the exit, talking as he walked towards it.

“I just won’t say it.”

**********

Only a day and a half to say your farewells.

While she had certainly become accepted during her stay in Canterlot, most of the actual friends Celestia had made were in the Maiden’s Battalion itself, since the training courtyard is where she spent most of her time. There was only one pony who she felt it was worth it to bid farewell, and that pony was nowhere to be found.

Celestia and Crumble had already visited Cotton’s home before finding Cherry Tart. The only signs of recent activity had been in Cotton’s workshop, although it looked as though its most recent use had been that morning. At this hour of the evening, she should have been home, but for all Celestia knew, she could have been with some other friends at some other event. She was friends with the entire city of Canterlot, after all.

Still, she must have known Celestia was leaving soon…

Celestia beat her wings a few times and touched down upon the stone streets of Canterlot, this time landing with much more stability. Her wings folded to her side, and she looked around.

The greater market square seemed to be closing up as a whole, with a few exceptions. Many of the merchants could be seen packing up their wares or closing their shops, and most had already done so. It was the only other place Celestia could think to look for her. Normally, she would have already been gone, but where else was there?

A quick sweep of the square revealed no bubbly cyan ponies. She did note, however, the remains of a smashed up wooden stand, along with remnants of all sorts of candy strewn about the square. Crumble had already told her what happened, but actually seeing the result was somewhat amusing. Celestia only wished she could have been there to participate.

“Hmm,” she pondered aloud. She put a hoof to her chin and furrowed her brows, gazing at the scene with the scrutiny of a detective. There was not much to go on, and Apple Crumble had told her that all of this happened before Cotton had left the courtyard. Maybe she could ask around? Or better yet, perhaps Clover would let her use the Farsight Telescope.

“Shulestiah!”

Celestia’s ears perked at the sound of her name. Her gaze had wandered to the ground, something she had not even realized. Raising her head, she looked for the source of the childish voice.

“Ovar here!”

Her head swiveled again, and she saw a young, cream-coated, blue-maned pegasus filly, galloping directly towards her. Her mouth was full of some sort of treat that muffled her words. Crumbs fell from her lips as she spoke.

“Hi Shulestiah!”

Celestia took a step back as the eager filly stopped a few feet away, and reared up on her hind legs, giving a happy wave.

Celestia looked questioningly left and right, before looking down to address her.

“Uh, hello,” she said, lightly waving.

The filly dropped to all fours, her expression losing much of its excitement.

“Don’t you remember me?” She quickly chewed the food in her mouth and swallowed it, a portion that was probably much too big for a filly of her size. “It’s me! We met in the palace!”

Celestia squinted her eyes, examining the filly closely. “…Cream Sky?”

The enthusiasm returned to her face. “Yeah!” she exclaimed, her voice breaking with excitement.

Celestia gave her an odd smile. She remembered her now, the little filly with small wings and a big heart. They had met on Celestia’s first night in Canterlot, right before the… incident at the party in the palace garden. Cream had been the first non-official, non-military pony to meet Celestia, and the first to unintentionally inform her of her own unfortunate stigma.

But then where was…?

“Cream? Cream! There you are!”

Her mother, Amber Sky, the first pony to unintentionally confirm it.

The aptly amber-coated pegasus glided over to her daughter, landing to trot the last few steps.

“What did I tell you about leaving?” she scolded. Celestia backed a few wary steps away.

“To not to,” Cream sullenly replied. She continued before her mother could speak further. “But I was bored!” she exclaimed, stomping her hoof on the ground to accentuate her point. “Besides, look! I found a friend!”

Celestia froze. She had managed to inch a small ways, and had been ready to casually turn and walk, wanting to avoid any sort of confrontation. It was too late now. She turned to face them.

“And who would that be?” Amber Sky looked up. “Oh.”

Celestia looked back and forth. She would rather not have dealt with it, but any socially acceptable escape was out of the question at this point. She cleared her throat.

“Hello.”

There was no response.

She chuckled nervously. “I don’t believe we’ve been properly introduced.” She offered her hoof forward. “I am Celestia.” She paused. Formal greetings usually sounded better with some sort of title tacked on.

“Er, soldier of the 21st division.” It was the best she could think of. That title carried some weight with it, right?

Apparently, the answer was yes, it did. She almost did not believe it as she felt her offering returned, consummated in the form of a firm hoofshake.

“I am Amber Sky, representative of the Royal Council, minister on affairs of weather. It’s a pleasure to meet you!”

Celestia seemed to fumble. Was this the pony she thought it was? ‘It’s a pleasure to meet you.’ Her first impulse was to ask ‘it is?’ She suppressed the urge, and thought to return the sentiment of greeting. What she did manage to say was not much better.

“Yes.” They released hooves. After hearing her own voice, Celestia quickly shook her head and blinked. “I mean, it is a pleasure to meet you as well.”

She cursed herself, half expecting to have offended the pegasus, but she seemed to be unaffected by the bewilderment, or maybe even to understand it.

“I was hoping to see you again,” Amber Sky said. She looked as though she were going to continue, but was cut off by her daughter.

“Mommy!” Cream exclaimed, tugging lightly on her mane.

She scowled, but kept her tone of voice patient. “Honey, don’t be rude. We’re having a grown-up conversation here.”

“But Mommy!” she complained, half-collapsing to the ground. “I want to show Miss Celestia how good I can fly!”

Amber Sky looked from her daughter, to Celestia, and back. “Okay, but be careful. No jumping off anything. Do it in the center of the square, and wait for ponies to move.”

“Okay!” Her answer was so quick, both her mother and Celestia wondered if she had even heard. “Miss Celestia, watch!” She charged into the center of the square, flapping her wings as she went. “Move, ponies!

“No, honey-!” Amber Sky reached a hoof towards her daughter, but did not go after her. They watched as she barreled towards pair of drawn wagons, simultaneously jumping and flapping her wings. She thrust off the ground and into the air, just barely getting enough height to clear them. She landed on the other side, ungracefully tumbling as she hit the ground. It was only a moment before she got back on her hooves, looking towards the grown-ups to see if they had witnessed her flight.

Amber waved back and smiled, and Celestia clopped her hooves together in light applause. Cream appeared absolutely pleased with herself, and continued jumping around the square, fluttering about in small arcs of flight.

Celestia remembered that, too. It was back when she herself could not fly, either. The little filly had admitted to her that she was only a ‘flutterer’. She wondered if it would offend Cream that Celestia had learned the skill, and she still had not.

“As I was saying,” Amber Sky continued, “I was hoping to see you again.” She paused, acknowledging her daughter with a smile and wave after she had performed some particularly adventurous feat. “Though, maybe not more than my daughter was.”

Celestia did not know what to say. “She’s a good little filly.”

“Yes, she is.” Amber turned towards her. “I know it isn’t much, and I know it’s been a few weeks, but I wanted to apologize for the way I acted. It was uncalled for, and I am ashamed of it.”

Amber seemed to be expecting some sort of reaction, but Celestia merely shrugged. “Don’t be worried, it wasn’t uncalled for. Half the city did the same thing. I forgive you.”

Amber’s apology was actually what Celestia had been hoping for, because though it may have been an uncomfortable situation, she had gotten quite used to this particular conversation. If half the city had treated her poorly, then that same half had later come to apologize, and the answer was always the same. ‘I forgive you’, because what good would come of anything else? She would be the center of attention no matter what she did, so as long as it was within her influence, she was determined to keep that attention positive, and to deserve it besides.

Amber Sky let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you. It wasn’t on purpose, you know. I just reacted. Imagine my surprise when a mythological beast appeared in the center of the palace, with my daughter, no less!” She put a hoof over her mouth. “Oh dear. I didn’t mean beast… I’m sorry, you don’t look beastly at all.”

Celestia chuckled. “It’s alright.”

Amber gave an apologetic smile. “I hope you don’t hold it against my husband.” She lowered her voice to a murmur. “If you ever need any favors from the weather department, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Of course,” Celestia said, gracefully accepting the offering. She paused. “But why would I hold it against your husband?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I thought maybe Cream had told you. My husband is Lightning Sky, a sky captain of the Maiden’s Battalion. Or, he was a sky captain. He recently got promoted to be the pegasus lieutenant of the whole division.”

A spark of recognition lit in Celestia’s eyes. “Oh!” She clapped her hooves together. “Yes, I know him! He’s the one that trains me in flight!”

She recalled several fond memories of what Lightning had called ‘flight school 101’. He was tough but encouraging, not unlike many of her other trainers. Her original flight instructor was to be Apple Crumble, but he got an injured wing, and later revealed to her that it was not his job anyways. He had more important things to attend to as Lieutenant-Commander.

“Yes. He speaks very highly of you. In fact…” she murmured, craning her head to look across the square, “there he is now.”

Lieutenant Lightning Sky had indeed just landed in the middle of the square, playfully tackling her daughter mid-flutter. His coat was a very light grey, and his mane a two-toned mix of light and dark blue. Both he and his daughter laughed as she struggled to get out of his grasp, only succeeding when it was obvious that he had let her.

“If you’ll excuse us, Celestia,” Amber said, distractedly looking towards the square. “I’d like to spend as much time as I can with my family before the battalion leaves.” She turned towards Celestia, and gave her a light bow. “Again, it was an honor.”

Celestia bowed back. “Likewise.”

Amber Sky took off and glided towards her family, ushering them in off in some direction, presumably towards their home. Cream threw a small fit and jumped away, fluttering towards Celestia.

“Did you see me, Celestia?” she asked eagerly.

Celestia laughed. “You were great.”

Cream Sky beamed with pride. “Someday, I’ll be as good as daddy!”

On cue, Lightning touched down right behind his daughter, snatching her up in the same motion. “Gotcha!”

Celestia gave a surprised jolt, and stood there awkwardly, unsure if she should be at attention. After a moment of playful wrestling, Cream shrieking delightedly in his grasp, he ushered her off to her mother, still standing in the middle of the square. Finally, he acknowledged her.

“Celestia,” he said, his tone formal. At this, she straightened up, and acknowledged him in return.

“Sir.”

He examined her for a moment, but it was not long before his gaze lightened.

“See you in a few days.” He gave her a quick, encouraging pat on the arm before heading towards his family again. Cream Sky had only made it halfway, and called out to her before her father picked her up once again.

“Take care of daddy!” she shouted, before being scooped up by her father.

Celestia grinned and nodded. “You have my oath.”

She thought she could see Cream’s expression turn into a surprised, happy gasp, before they flew out of sight.

Celestia felt the grin fade from her features, but not the surprised happiness. That had been interesting, and unexpected. No doubt it had left her in a good mood. For a while, she simply stood there, thinking about it.

Seeing Crumble with his wife, and Lightning with his, had stirred something in her heart, given her a strange longing. She wanted… that, whatever that was. There was a kinship there that she craved, something beyond just having friends.

After some thought, she decided it was the fact that they were family.

That was it. She wanted to belong to family of her own. She did not crave love, necessarily, and certainly not romance. Just a place where she would belong, no matter what race she happened to be, or what things she might have done. She was certainly accepted by ponies now, but that primal fear of rejection had never really gone away, and amongst it all, she still felt a certain lack of security.

Yes, a family would have been nice. She knew it would never happen, though. Not to her. Too many jobs to do, too much fighting to be done. A war raged, and it was something they expected her to quell. Even if that did not kill her, or break her spirit, or occupy her time until she died of old age, who would ever want…

Not a monster, no. She had gotten over that way of thinking. But she was still quite different from other ponies. Nopony would ever care for a relationship with her. There were too many complexities, too many unknowns; even she did not know everything about herself. In peacetime, what job would she have? She had no clue. Was she mentally and emotionally stable? She felt quite the opposite, sometimes. Could alicorns even breed with normal ponies? She... preferred not to think about that one.

Inwardly, she sighed. At least she had good friends. One of which she still needed to say goodbye to. She took off in the direction of Clover’s observatory behind the palace walls.

Family. Her mind stopped thinking about it, but her heart did not stop idly wishing for it.

**********

The intensive care center in the hospital had been emptied of most of its residents since the incident at the courthouse. There were a few left, mostly elderly ponies that needed long-term care or Royal Guards who had been crippled, and still needed help with their new disabilities. One had to learn how to walk with a missing forelimb, another had been made blind by an injury that swept across both eyes. Skulking in the corner of the room, a diamond dog lay on an undersized hospital bed, eyes focused on some metal charm he was idly rubbing between his forepaws. In the fight against Discord, his spine had been severed, and his legs made useless; he was unable to make the journey home with his fellow comrades. Pony doctors worked on a solution for him, but even he knew the odds of success were minimal.

Clover the Clever pitied them all. Not only had they been disabled, but their very profession had been stolen from them. They had all belonged to dedicated fighting units, bodyguards to their civil counterparts – the Royal Guard, or in the diamond dog’s case, the Heavypaws. Fighting was what they knew. Now, for them, it was impossible.

Of course, every career soldier knew the dangers, and every good career soldier knew that no matter how good they might be, death could come at any time. They hoped for the best, and prepared for the worst. But being disabled as they were… it was a fate some thought to be dishonorable. It was not, in Clover’s opinion, but that did not change the way some felt about it. Even failing that, the feeling of not being able to help one’s comrades was terribly congruent with the feeling of abandoning them. She knew that one through personal experience.

There were absolutely none of them, however, that she pitied more than the rainbow-maned unicorn lying before her, completely and utterly unconscious.

Reverie’s form had diminished over the weeks. The deep coma she had lapsed into had seen her body become more and more empty, until now she appeared to be a mere husk of her original self. She wore an expression of peace, as though she were having pleasant dreams, or perhaps no dreams at all. Clover hoped for the former, but expected the latter. If she was dreaming, Reverie was still in there, somewhere. If not…

Regardless, any peace she seemed to display was marred by the gaunt lines on her face that had begun to appear. Her face itself was sunken and pitiful. She required constant supervision, as she could not feed or care for herself.

Normally, patients in such conditions were ‘let go’. The Canterlot hospital, and most hospitals in Equestria for that matter, simply did not have the resources to keep patients in such a deep coma healthy, especially when they could be directing their efforts towards those whom they had a higher chance of saving. Clover reluctantly agreed with the practice. However, she had ordered Reverie to be kept alive as a high priority patient. If she did wake up, perhaps she could reveal to them something, anything about Discord. Intelligence on the enemy was scarce, and they fought for anything they could get.

Besides, Reverie was Clover’s last living Adept. She represented a huge investment of time and possessed a wealth of knowledge not found in any other magi in Equestria, save for the Arch-Mage and herself. Preserving her student’s life meant preserving a valuable resource.

And Clover did not want to lose any more students.

She did not show emotional pain very often, not anymore. Not that she did not feel it; she had simply been alive too long to allow things to affect her on the scale they once had. She was not cold-hearted, just seasoned and mellow. But losing her thirteen Adepts... thirteen of her best friends... had been traumatizing on a level she could not contain. In the solitary confines of her tower, tears had been spilt. What a horrible waste of life, she had lamented. What a horrible waste.

Then, who else would they discover but Reverie, her youngest pupil. Then, what else would happen but the near ruination of her mind. Clover would never be so dramatic as to say she could not go on after another death, but losing a student twice would be quite difficult. She wondered if Discord had planned this kind of misery. Objectively, she had to admit that it was a very effective torment. Subjectively, she hated him for it.

As the days rolled on, Reverie’s health seemed to stabilize, but she never showed signs of waking up.

It had been the magic, Clover knew. That blue magic, which she herself had been just barely conscious enough to see and feel. And to think, after the summoning of Celestia, and the death of her Adepts, she had all but given up on it. By the time Celestia had begun her training, she had nearly forgotten about it.

That was foolish. Seeing the aftereffects was a testament to its power. There were spells to banish the influence of Discord, and even Discord himself, but they took time to charge, were unpredictable in practice, and left the unicorn exhausted afterwards, often for days. Even upon successful use, certain scars of chaos could never be fully healed. That blue, on the other hoof, was the exact opposite – it was invigorating, effortless, and completely effective. All traces of Discord were gone.

She sighed. That was exactly the problem. If only Reverie’s mind had not been so entwined with his. Discord’s influence would have left her ailing no matter the outcome, but experiencing such a sudden banishment, losing such a large portion of spirit at once – it had sent Reverie’s body into shock, and had damaged her mind. Maybe permanently.

It was a mixed blessing. Reverie’s fate was unfortunate, but if that magic had decided to manifest itself, then perhaps there was more hope than she thought. It certainly surprised her. She only had a vague idea of how it worked, and its use in the courtroom proved even her most basic ideas about it wrong. Now that she knew it could happen, however, she was determined to make sure it did. Already, she had created and acted upon the beginnings of a plan that had yet to be fully realized. That courier would be arriving any minute now…

“Clover!”

Her ears perked up at the mention of her name. She turned away from the hospital bed to see Celestia walking towards her.

“They said you might be here,” she said, reaching her and giving a slight bow of respect. “Good greetings, Master.”

“And likewise to you,” Clover said, responding with a nod of acknowledgement. “Who said I would be here?”

“The guards. At your tower, I mean.” Celestia looked out a nearby window, towards a view of the palace. The sun had nearly gone down. She rubbed at her arm, slight aggravation creeping into her tone. “They wouldn’t let me into the observatory without your permission.”

She turned back to Clover, and looked as though she were about to continue, but stopped. Clover’s attention, she saw, was only half focused on her. Her body was turned towards the hospital bed, and her eyes kept shifting in the direction of the mare that lay there.

“She’s… still sleeping, huh?” Celestia delicately asked, taking a few steps towards the bed and getting a better view.

Clover let her gaze fall back upon Reverie. She nodded. “Indeed.”

Celestia looked on the mare with grim curiosity. She could easily imagine Reverie as she might have been: lithely built, strong-willed, intelligent, and even pretty. Multi-colored manes, Cotton had told her, were considered attractive by many, and she doubted Reverie’s rainbow-red hair would have been an exception to that. In this state, however, she looked to be only a few blocks away from death’s door.

Celestia tried to pick her words carefully, though she knew Clover was far too meditative and rational to allow herself to be offended.

“Will she be okay?”

Clover took a breath, and exhaled. “I hope so. It seems Discord did as much damage as he could before being forcibly removed.”

For a moment, they stood in relative silence. The sound around them was minimal. A doctor shuffled papers around at a desk near the corner of the room, nurses’ hooves clopped on the stone hallways outside, one of the other patients sipped noisily from a glass of water. And of course, in front of them was the ever present wheeze of Reverie’s shallow breathing.

“What was it?”

Clover looked up. “What was what?”

“The…” Celestia gestured vaguely in the air, searching for the words. “That blue… light. We’ve talked about it before, but I still don’t understand.”

Clover shook her head, and shrugged. “Magic.”

“That’s all?”

“Your guess is as good as mine, Celestia. I could go into theory, but you wouldn’t understand, and it’s all guesswork anyways. I’m sorry that’s the only answer I can provide.”

Celestia frowned. “What kind of magic?”

“Restoration, conjuration, alteration, illusion… it could have been anything. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“And I’m the one that cast it?”

At this, Clover was surprised. She looked away from Reverie, and gave Celestia a curious look.

“What do you think?”

Celestia bit down on her lip, craning her head and averting her gaze as if she had asked the wrong question, but Clover just waited.

“Well… that’s what ponies say.”

“What do you say?”

“I…” She looked around, and making sure nopony was nearby. Her voice lowered to a murmur. “I don’t know. It didn’t feel like I was doing anything. More like, it just happened while I was watching.”

Clover slowly nodded at her, not breaking eye contact. Celestia waited for her to say something, but she never did.

“It wasn’t you, was it?” Celestia asked.

At this, Clover almost laughed. She let out a suppressed giggle, coupled with an amused smile. “Oh no, dear. It certainly wasn’t me.”

“Then what happened? What do you think?”

Clover walked away from Celestia and Reverie, tapping her hoof contemplatively as she paced back and forth a few times.

“I think,” she began slowly, “that alicorns are strange and wonderful creatures, whose capabilities we don’t fully understand. I also think that we should be grateful for this blessing, without which, we would have all been in greater peril.” She stopped pacing, and turned back towards Celestia. “I also think that you should not worry yourself over it. You are scared-”

“I’m not scared,” Celestia said, indignantly stomping a hoof to the floor.

“-but the more experience you gain, the more you will come to understand yourself. Your tour of duty with the Maiden’s Battalion will leave you with more experience than you will know what to do with, I assure you.”

“But that’s just it,” Celestia protested. “Nopony understands how I work, and I’m going to fight a war?”

“Lucky may be disagreeable at times, but he is not a fool. He will not let you fight until you are ready.”

“But even then, I was a dueling legend the first time I fought. I know I’m fairly good-”

More than ‘fairly’, Clover thought.

“-but I’m not perfect. I still make mistakes. And the dreams…”

Clover put a hoof up to stop her. “Celestia. I know you’re curious. We all are. But I can’t give you these answers.” She let her hoof drop to the floor. “If we are fortunate, they shall come in time.”

Celestia fell silent, but did not answer. They stood in silence for another half minute, before Clover spoke up again.

“Did you need to get into the observatory?”

Celestia raised her head and responded, though with not as much urgency as before. “Oh, yes. I wanted your permission to use the Farsight Telescope.”

“Whatever for?”

“Well, the battalion deploys in two days. Er, you know that, you’re coming with.”

Clover nodded.

“Well, I wanted to say goodbye to Cotton, but I have no idea where she is, and I can’t seem to find her. May I use the telescope?”

Clover was silent for a moment, contemplating something. “No.”

Celestia blinked. “No?”

“Not this time, dear.”

“Why not? I promise not to use it for anything… bad.”

“I know, Celestia, I believe you. Cotton just needs some time alone, is all.” She gave an unintentionally sly smile. “She’ll be much better by morning, I think. And if I know Cotton, she’ll come find you.”

Celestia stood there, staring in disbelief. “But I-”

“No, Celestia,” Clover said, cutting her off. “If you still haven’t seen her by tomorrow, then you may come and talk to me.”

It was another moment before Celestia moved. She supposed she had not ever asked to use the telescope before, but she never imagined Clover would decline her outright.

“Fine,” she said. It was less than respectful. “Farewell.” She walked away from Clover and Reverie’s bedside, pushing open the doors of the hospital room, her hoofsteps falling a little heavier than normal.

Clover turned back to Reverie’s bedside. The mare still had not changed one bit.

Yes, if she does not find you tomorrow, come talk to me. Then we have a problem.

**********

The night fell. Celestia had long since retired to her sleeping quarters at the barracks, as had most of the battalion. Even those who had elected to stay up late for one last celebration with their friends had finally turned in. The building was full of sleeping ponies, and the night as a whole was quiet.

All save for one little mare, who was practically bouncing off the walls with joy and energy, and one stallion, who chased her furiously.

“Wooooo! I’m coming with!”

“Quiet! It’s three in the morning, damn it! Ponies are trying to sleep!”

Cotton barely seemed to hear as she continued up the staircase, inexplicably staying one step ahead of her pursuer, who was still groggy from sleep.

“What floor did you say Celestia was on, Lucky? The third?”

“Cotton! You can’t just-!”

“Found it!”

She rounded off of the staircase, and into a narrow hallway, with doors leading to bunkrooms on both the left and right. She could see dim magelights being turned on behind closed doors, and heard ponies’ hooves moving to see what the commotion was. One door opened on the right, and a pony stuck their head out to look down the hallway. It was Celestia, pink mane messy from sleep and eyes framed with tired lines.

Cotton beamed.

Pulling the hookshot from her saddlebag, she equipped it to her hoof, and pointed it toward the end of the hallway.

“Wait, Cotton!”

But she could not wait. Taking no extra time to aim, she made a motion with her hoof, pressing an interior button. The halls echoed with a loud hiss of decompressing air, followed the clamorous rattling of a long steel chain. Celestia tiredly squinted as something flew her direction, and then suddenly drew her head back as the hookshot spearhead passed her by. It wedged itself into the stone at the end of the hallway, directly above an open window. By now, a few other ponies had peeked into the hall to see the scene.

“Don’t even think about it!”

Not even thinking about it, Cotton pushed a second button on the interior of the hookshot, the chain began to rapidly re-coil itself, yanking her down the hallway. Lucky dove after her, and missed.

She managed to keep her balance as she was pulled much faster than she could have galloped, her hooves skidding across the white stone. A loud clicking coming from the hookshot woke everypony on the floor, if not in the entire building.

Celestia walked out into the hall, rubbing her eyes at the scene.

“I’m coming wi-iiiiiiiiiith!”

“Wh-” Celestia’s voice was caught in her throat as Cotton’s arm wrapped around the base of her neck, dragging her with.

Seconds later, the hookshot finished coiling, but their momentum did not stop. Cotton’s grip on the device was not enough, and she was forced to let go of it, leaving it protruding from the wall without an owner. Cotton and Celestia, who at first had struggled to get away, but was now hugging onto her captor for dear life, continued moving, sailing straight through the open window together.

Sleep’s lethargic hold completely banished by adrenaline, Celestia’s instincts took over, and her wings automatically deployed, her body twisting to assume a corrective course of motion. It was more difficult than usual, with the weight of another pony pulling her down at an awkward angle. The two careened towards the ground in an uncontrollable spiral.

“Ahhhhhh!”
“Wheeeee!”

Wham!

They landed.

Celestia lay on her back, motionless, simply trying to comprehend what had just happened. Eventually, after deciding she had no idea, and probably never would, she attempted to roll upright. It was harder than she expected; she was forced shift around in some sort of soft material before finally rising to her hooves. After backing away and shaking her head, she looked at what she had landed in. It was a pile of hay.

A moment later, Cotton burst forth from the pile, somersaulting to her haunches and giggling the whole time. Bits of hay were twined into her curly mane and stuck all over her cyan coat. Looking at herself, Celestia saw she was very much the same.

She shook some of the hay loose from her mane, brushed some off her coat, and looked at her friend. “Cotton!” It was half an accusation, and half a question.

Cotton turned towards her, still grinning and giggling like a schoolfilly. Celestia wanted to ask her why and how she was still awake, where she had been for the past few days, and, to an extension, why she had been so unlike herself for the past few weeks, and if she was okay.

Instead, she simply asked the first thing that came to mind.

“Why?”

Cotton looked to the open third floor window, and saw the heads of a few concerned ponies, checking to see if they were alright. She looked back, grin still wide.

“I’m coming with!”

**********

Minutes after her acceptance into the 21st, Cotton received her first official reprimand from a superior officer, something that, judging by the way her expression of apology was undone by the ecstatic smile just barely hidden underneath, she was much too happy for. Emergency meetings were scheduled, a list of essentials was issued, basic rules were briefed, a lecture about the rising and sleeping times of the battalion was sternly given, and the Maiden’s Battalion had one more honorary member. Lucky told her to go and get some sleep. Cotton declared she would start packing instead.

Celestia’s conversation with Cotton before Lucky dragged her away was brief, but one thing was clear. She was coming with. Apparently, she was going to be the battalion’s ‘mechanic’. It was an odd job title, almost as though it had been made-up as an excuse to allow her to join. But, if the strange device still stuck to one of the third floor hallways was any indication, she would prove herself useful. Besides, Lucky was absolutely devoted to the efficiency of his force; Celestia doubted he would have accepted anything he considered dead weight. She remembered how hesitant he had been to accept Clover the Clever, and she was a seasoned mage! Though, she sensed that may have been a more personal matter than anything else.

The next morning came, and Celestia immediately knew where she was heading. After a brief morning ritual, she flew to Cotton’s cottage outside the city. To her surprise, she was not there.

Confused, she had flown back into the city, and asked around the market square, which was just barely beginning to open. The general consensus pointed in one direction – the old house of the late Coffee. Celestia had only ever seen the ‘hieyuman’ thing once, but apparently, Cotton knew him well enough to invade his home. For what, she did not know. Perhaps it was just Cotton being Cotton, which was a valid enough reason in Celestia’s eyes.

Celestia had arrived at the stone house, tucked away in a mountainside corner of the city, and sure enough, Cotton was there. As though it were her own home, she had invited her in, and left her waiting near the entry. Celestia felt out of place; the interior of the house looked as though it were an alien landscape, covered with craggy metal mountains, inscribed with hieroglyphics of unknown meaning. Cotton appeared completely comfortable as she zipped around, collecting this thing and that, stuffing metal objects of every shape and size into boxes and bags.

“You can have a seat, Celestia!” Cotton said, pointing to a nearby couch. “I’ll be with you in just a moment!”

Celestia cast the couch a wary glance. “Are you sure you don’t want any help?”

“Oh, I’m fine!” She picked up another object, twisting it in her hoof to examine it, before shrugging and tossing it into a box.

Slowly, Celestia maneuvered to the couch, and took a seat, resting on her haunches and trying not to touch any of the metal objects around her.

“I have to say, I’m surprised you’re joining us.”

“Gonna need this, this, probably this… I know!” Her voice was muffled as she dug around in a nearby closet. “Isn’t it great?”

“Well… yeah.” Celestia’s voice was less than enthused.

Cotton withdrew her head and looked at her, a small frown on her face. “What’s the matter? Don’t you want me to come?”

“No no no!” Cotton’s frown grew a little wider, and Celestia waved her hooves in the air. “I mean, no, that’s not what I meant. Yes, I’m glad that you’re coming! It’s just that… don’t you think it’s a bit dangerous for somepony like…” She trailed off. “Don’t you think it’s dangerous?”

A smile returned to her face. “Well of course it’s dangerous, silly. Everypony knows that! But I’m not scared. And somepony has to do it, right?”

“Well, sure, but maybe there are some ponies that are… better at certain things than others.”

Cotton waved a hoof at her. “Oh, I won’t be on the frontlines, if that’s what you’re worried about. Besides, I’ll have you to protect me, right?”

“I don’t think I…”

She stopped. Her eyes had met Cotton’s, and she could not bring herself to finish the sentence. They were so expectant of her, like she already knew that the response would be. Like she knew that, deep down, Celestia was better than she herself realized. And what could Celestia say? That Cotton was wrong?

If nothing else, those eyes were incredibly difficult to disappoint.

She sighed. “Right.”

“Then everything’s okay!” Cotton declared. She returned to her rummaging, while Celestia waited.

“So, how exactly did you get accepted into the battalion?”

Cotton giggled, and recounted to her how she had fixed a broken cannon, finished one of Coffee’s old designs, and afterwards, impressed Lucky Break with what she had done. She made the request to join, and after some consideration, he had accepted.

“And so now, my official duties are…” Cotton stood up straight, and adopted a deeper, more official tone. It sounded ridiculous. “To aid in the repairing and maintaining of combat machinery, including, but not limited to, heavy cannons, light cannons, siege cannons, heavy siege cannons, light siege cannons, heavy light cannons, and switchblades. Or something like that.

“I am also to ‘engineer new machinery useful and pertinent to the endeavors of the 21st division, or to improve upon the designs of already existing machinery, as such opportunities present themselves.’”

Celestia looked skeptical. “You can do all that?”

“Mm hmm!”

Celestia had no idea. She knew Cotton had some strange machinery at her cottage, but building and maintaining weapons of war? Not only did that not seem like her area of expertise, but Celestia had not even thought the mare was intelligent enough for it. She did not think any less of Cotton for it, but her attitude certainly did not imply the deep thought she usually associated with smart ponies, like Clover the Clever.

Cotton tossed a metal contraption toward an open box, and missed. Celestia idly reached forward to retrieve it. Cotton saw it, and cried out.

“No, don’t!”

It was too late. Celestia picked it up. Nothing happened. She raised an eyebrow.

“Is something wro-”

Suddenly, the metal device fell to pieces in her hooves. Bits of scrap dropped to the floor, and tumbling around briefly before coming to rest. Celestia did not know what the device was supposed to have done, but now, she was certain it would do nothing.

She stared at the pieces on the floor, speechless. Eventually, she sheepishly met Cotton’s gaze, keeping her eyes high and head low.

“Sorry.”

Cotton trotted towards her, and began scooping up the mess.

“It’s okay. Some ponies are just better at certain things than others.”

**********

“So, Cotton Cake was actually able to go?”

Princess Celestia nodded. “Indeed she was.”

Twilight tapped at her chin. “Was she actually useful?”

The princess smiled. “Oh yes, Cotton ended up being quite… useful. In the end, not a one of us regretted Lucky’s decision, even if she did take some getting used to. The Maiden’s soldiers were a hopeful bunch, but none were so optimistic as Cotton. She was a huge boost for morale.”

Twilight paused, levitating a separate sheet of parchment towards her, making a few additions to the bottom.

“So, she was a boost for morale. Did she actually make weapons?”

Celestia eyed her student. Though she was doing her best to be aloof and subjective, Celestia could see the skepticism in Twilight’s face. The princess could not honestly fault her with it. With how she had been describing the little mare named Cotton, ‘weapons engineer’ was hardly the career that came to mind. Besides, she had experienced the very same doubt when first learning of Cotton’s supposed role.

“Indeed she did, Twilight. Though, if I remember correctly, and I usually do, Cotton tried to focus more on tools than actual weaponry. The circuit-based magelight, the hookshot… even the earliest version of nightvision goggles were of her design.”

Twilight seemed to skip a beat with her writing. She looked up, and blinked. “R-really?”

Celestia nodded. “She was not as good as Joseph the hieyuman, and never would be, but with magic she was able to do things he was not, even if her magic was a bit abnormal. Sometimes, it was even because of its abnormality. It wasn’t an invention, per se, but she once enchanted a boomerang with her ‘style’ of magic so that it spun perfectly, and always returned to the thrower no matter where it went or what it hit. I think that one was more for fun than utility, though.”

“Wow… I never would have guessed.”

The princess smiled. “Nopony would have. She was very intelligent, both socially and intellectually, but ponies sometimes associate social skill with a lack of true wit. I don’t know the full truth of that, for I have met more than one introverted scholar…”

Twilight seemed to feel the pressure of Celestia’s gaze increase, but it was not unkind.

“…but one should never think of it as some sort of tradeoff.”

Twilight crossed out a few sections of text, and summarily replaced them with some neat, albeit small, writing in the margins. When she shuffled it away, Celestia could see the heading of the page, ‘Persona: Cotton Cake.’ She wondered if Twilight had kept track of everypony this way.

“So, you had one day before the battalion departed.”

“Two days. It was one day before we prepared to depart,” Celestia corrected.

“Right. I presume you spent it with Cotton?”

Celestia shook her head. “Actually, no.”

“No? Why not?”

“Well…”

**********

Cotton let out a great, satisfied sigh. “Finished!” She dusted her hooves together, and sat back on her haunches, looking at her handiwork. In the middle of the floor was a great pile of wooden crates, stacked so high they nearly reached the ceiling.

“You’re bringing all of this?” Celestia asked, gazing at the pile with wide eyes.

“Yep. Just the essentials.” She trotted over to the couch where Celestia was sitting, and plopped down next to her, letting her whole body weight fall into the cushions. “Whew! That was tiring.”

“What all is in there?”

“Oh, you know. Tools, and parts, and…” Cotton paused, allowing herself a great yawn. “…Stuff.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow, looking at her with a sideways smile. “So now you’re tired?”

It took a second for Cotton to respond. “A little.”

“That’s what you get for waking up at three in the morning.” Celestia playfully nudged her in the shoulder. She swayed to the side, her recovery slow and sluggish.

“Actually, I was up before then.” Her eyes were half-lidded, but she wore a content smile on her face.

“Really?” Celestia turned towards her, expression shifting to slight concern. “Exactly how long have you been awake?”

Cotton’s eyes slowly lifted, searching the corners of her brain for an answer. “Twenty… eight? Hours?”

“Twenty-eight!”

Cotton tiredly shrugged. “Maybe less.”

Celestia turned forward again, regarding Cotton’s hoard of equipment, and whistled. “That’s a long time. How?”

“To tell you the truth, Celly, I haven’t been sleeping well.” There was an awkward silent moment, in which it sounded as if Cotton was going to continue, but did not. She rubbed at her eyes, and spoke just as Celestia was about to ask why.

“I was sick. But now I’m better. So don’t worry.”

Celestia slowly nodded. “Okay.”

“Oh,” Cotton added, “and it might also be because I drank a couple mugs of…”

Celestia waited, longer this time. No response came.

Eventually, she felt a light weight fall onto her shoulder. She looked to her left, and down. It was Cotton, fast asleep, leaning against her side.

Celestia had to suppress an adoring smile. Cotton’s entire form had slouched towards her, her head and body drooping against Celestia’s own arm and shoulder for support. Even now, she was slipping off, the rest of her body sliding against the couch below her. Celestia swiveled towards her, careful not to disturb her sudden sleep, and caught Cotton’s head and back in her arms, supporting them with as much delicacy as she could. Slowly, gently, she lowered her form to the couch, simultaneously moving removing herself to make room. After carefully removing her hooves, Cotton’s head fell to the cushions, and she subconsciously curled into a comfortable sleeping position.

Celestia got up, and looked around. It was not long before she found a blanket, creeping over to retrieve it, and noiselessly draping it over her.

Celestia stared for another moment. Her eyes were peacefully shut, and her mouth was just barely opened. She let out a soft, almost inaudible snore. Her legs were all curled against her body, save for her left foreleg, which was a little stiffer and straighter than the rest. Celestia glimpsed the scar just underneath, between her shoulder and ribcage.

She could not help but think Cotton looked so… small, like this. Too innocent, too cute, to be going off to any war. Any fierce attitude she sported while conscious, which was scarce to begin with, was completely undone. In sleep, Cotton was harmless and utterly disarming.

Cotton mumbled something, turned her head, and curled deeper into the blanket.

Celestia was both gladdened and frightened that Cotton would be tagging along.

**********

“So… she had a coffee-crash.”

The princess nodded. “I believe so, yes. I decided to leave her alone. She looked like she needed the sleep. When she awoke, I believe she visited with her parents, and visited Joseph’s grave one last time.”

“What did you do?”

“Well, I had friends in Canterlot, and I certainly socialized with a few, but there were no real ponies that I felt I needed to go out of my way to say goodbye to.” Celestia paused. “There were two things I usually did when I had nothing else to do. Well, no, three things. One was to train some more. The second was to spend time with Cotton. The third…”

**********

Bless my heart with faith, to quell the godless doubt.

Lucky prayed. In the darkness underneath his drawn hood and behind his closed eyes, the room felt much bigger than it actually was. Considering the room’s size to begin with, he felt almost as if there were no walls at all and he was kneeling outdoors, if the outdoors were as blessedly tranquil as a church. And if they had hard, smooth floors.

There were other ponies around, but not many. A few were scattered in the pews, merely contemplating in silence. Even fewer bowed at one of the four shrines, praying to the altar and god of their preference. Only one other pony was next to him at fortune’s altar, but they did nothing to communicate. The distance between them felt huge, anyways.

Other than a select few, the cathedral was mostly empty. There were far too many things to be done on a day like today, too much celebrating with friends, too much time to spend with family. These were hours too precious to be spent in the presence of the Pantheon.

Except, Lucky’s closest ‘family’ did live here.

He realized the cadence he had been speaking ended. Lacking a true something to ask for, he simply started over.

O Tyche, Lady of Fortune, hear my plea…

He spoke the words without really speaking them. There was an odd comfort to be had in mere repetition. He hoped Tyche did not mind. Perhaps she would be lenient towards one of her devout patrons.

Lucky was not here to bargain with the gods. There certainly was comfort in this place, and he did appreciate it, but he was hoping for something else, somepony he did not care to go out of his way for, and yet, wanted to see all along.

He became aware of hoofsteps behind him, as well as hearing a light cough. In his darkness, the sound could have come from miles away, but as he opened his eyes, the world came back into focus and perspective. It was only a cough, but he knew who it was. Lucky turned around to see Father Bright, a small distance away, arranging something on the podium where he gave his sermons.

Lucky nodded to himself. A final word with the father seemed appropriate.

He started towards him, and to his surprise, the Father did the same. They met halfway, still relatively close to the earth shrine.

“Well met, Commander Break,” Father Bright spoke in that familiar, comforting voice.

Lucky drew his hood back. “Well met, Father.”

“’Tis good to see thee here. The gods are undoubtedly pleased.”

“Praise be to them,” he said, nodding towards Concordia’s shrine. “They have made themselves known, Father.”

“Good, good.” He nodded his head. “Lucky Break, I wish to speak with you.”

Lucky gave a surprised start. “You do?”

The Father chuckled. “You sound like a colt in Sunday school! It is not my wish to reprove you for being naughty. Not now, at least.”

He quickly shook his head and blinked. “Oh.”

“’Tis only a brief question. How do you feel about Celestia?”

Lucky paused.

“What?”

“How do you feel about the alicorn?

He tilted his head. Well that came out of nowhere. “She isn’t dangerous, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

Father Bright smiled. “Oh no, child. Of that, I am quite sure. I was not asking how I should feel, I am asking you feel.”

A million confused and muddled emotions flooded his mind. The sentiments were far too many, and were tangled in a knot far too complex to make sense of.

“Why?” Lucky asked. It was the only thing he could say.

“Hmmm.” The priest put a hoof to his chin. “Interesting you should ask. I do not know why, exactly. Concordia has prompted me, and I must act.” He put his hoof back down. “Though, if I had to guess, perhaps the gods know you have something to say. Bearing witness to your thoughts only helps to make them real. Speak, if you will, and become of a sounder mind.”

Lucky nearly scowled. That stallion was too perceptive. He knew a problem when he saw one. Just like his daughter.

“So, how do you feel about Celestia?”

“I…” Lucky paused, looking around to collect his thoughts. His gaze strayed to all the different shrines. If the gods prompted the Father to ask, perhaps they would prompt him to answer.

“I think she’s a good soldier.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. She performs admirably when training.”

“Hmmm. What training exercise does she do best?”

“Dueling.”

“She fights with a sword? Even though she could fly, or do magic?”

Lucky nearly glared at the Father, but quickly corrected himself. “One is not inferior to the other.”

“I know, and I did not mean to imply that.” There was a brief silence which Lucky did not see fit to break. Father Bright continued. “Dueling is your favorite exercise too, is it not?” Lucky nodded. “Have you trained her yourself at all?”

“No. Too busy.”

“Too busy,” the old priest murmured. “A stallion is always too busy, Lucky Break. I understand time is a valuable commodity, which is why it will always escape you unless you make more of it.” He paused, allowing his message to sink in. After a moment, he resumed.

“I am curious. Do you consider yourself her friend?”

“I consider myself her commanding officer.”

“That is not what I asked. Are you her friend?”

Lucky rolled his eyes. “Does this really matter?”

Father Bright cast him a hard gaze, something that was uncharacteristic of the priest. His countenance was normally as forgiving and gentle as the morning sunshine, but when he felt it necessary, that sunshine could quickly become harsh and burning. Just as the gods could forgive, they could also find fault, and being the devout follower that he was, those eyes demanded with the Pantheon’s full pith.

Lucky tried to return the gaze, but failed miserably. He sighed, and dropped his head. When his gaze returned, its expression was one of defeat.

“We haven’t spoken very much since her first day of training.”

“So…?” Father Bright said, motioning to the side with a hoof, his tone leading Lucky to finish.

“So… maybe. No, probably not. I don’t think she wants to be friends.”

“Do you want to become friends?”

Lucky fell silent. His gaze dropped and then swiveled away, looking at something, or nothing, in the distance of the cathedral. Half a minute came and went in silence before he finally spoke. When he did, it seemed as though it required greater than normal effort to do so.

“Perhaps.”

“Why?”

Why indeed? There were a thousand answers, and none of them made sense. “I don’t know. I suppose she’s a pony worth befriending.”

A moment passed. Though Lucky had expected a response, there was none. He looked back at the Father, and saw that he was smiling. It was small, but it was undoubtedly there, and it was undoubtedly happy.

“Anything else?” Lucky asked impatiently, wondering at his expression.

Father Bright thought about it for a second. “Do you think she is pretty?”

Lucky seemed to choke on the air. “W-what?” he replied, a little louder than normal. “I suppose…”

“No, no, no,” the priest said, cutting him off. He chuckled. “I jest, child, I jest. No, that is all. The gods are satisfied, I think.” He paused. “I hope you are, too,” he added after a short while.

He shrugged. “I’m glad they are,” he said, his tone noncommittal. “They seem to take special interest in my new recruit.”

“I’d be surprised if they didn’t, Lucky Break. I have talked with her myself. She is special, in more ways than one. It does not take a deity’s perspective to see that.” He paused. “She comes to me with her problems, sometimes.”

“They must be unique problems indeed.”

Father Bright shook his head. “No. They are as commonplace as can be for a soldier. Commonplace for a common pony, even. She is worried about the war. She is anxious about her own performance, and what ponies expect of her. She often wonders what you, Lucky Break, think about her.”

He shrugged. “Well, now the gods know. Maybe they can tell her.”

Father Bright chuckled, a little more fervently than before. To him, something about that was very funny. “Maybe they do not know all of it, but yes,” he said, stifling his laugh. “Perhaps they can.” He stepped towards Lucky, and clasped him on the shoulder.

“She is unique. You keep her safe.”

“You have my oath. I will.”

This time, I will.

Father Bright smiled. “Good. Then I may bid you farewell.” He turned, and started walking back to his podium.

“Father, this won’t be the last time we see each other.”

He replied without turning back. “I do not doubt it.”

Lucky watched as he continued walking away. That stallion… sometimes Lucky simply did not understand him. But then, everypony had their quirks, and if his was some deep connection to the gods, then all the more power to him. He would not be the first pony Lucky respected with that particular trait. Still-

Somepony bumped into him. He looked, and saw it was the other worshipper that had been at Tyche’s shrine next to him. Cloaked and hood drawn, they did not look back at him, but mumbled a quick “pardon me,” which he quickly excused. They continued away from the shrines and towards the cathedral exit, and Lucky returned his gaze to the Father.

Still, what had been the point of those questions? Lucky had just wanted to bid farewell. Did the gods really tell him to…

“Wait,” Lucky murmured aloud.

He stopped, and looked back at the pony who had bumped into him. Their light yellow cloak was quite long, but had been trimmed to size. As it swished around with the pony’s gait, he could see snow white fur on the back its owner’s legs, as well as the hanging end of a light pink tail. Strands of flowing pink fell from the hood as well, and while they were mostly obscured, they were too long to be completely hidden.

That cloak suddenly seemed terribly familiar.

Lucky watched the pony through her entire walk to the cathedral doors, not daring to blink or breathe until she was out of sight. The doors opened and shut, and he still stood there. He realized his mouth was slightly agape.

Lucky’s gaze slowly swiveled back, and he cast an incredulous look at the Father, who was simply humming some merry hymn, rearranging papers beneath his sermon stand.

Elsewhere, Celestia wondered if a pony’s blush had ever been hot enough to burn through fabric.