• Published 12th Apr 2012
  • 1,212 Views, 16 Comments

Play With Me - Draconaes

  • ...
4
 16
 1,212

Chapter 1

Play With Me

Chapter 1

You are a unicorn named Twilight Sparkle.

You were just knocked unconscious when you attempted to activate a strange tetrahedron with a spark of magic. You have only just now regained consciousness. Your friends, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, were also with you, but upon examining the library you find them to be missing.

You look at the table and notice that the tetrahedron is also missing. In its place are three notes. The first note appears to be from Rainbow Dash

Twilight, if you find this, DON'T TRUST THE NOTES! Wow, I guess that's a stupid thing to say. But seriously, this note might not even be from me! I mean it totally is but you don't have any way of telling that, I guess, so it would be silly of you to trust it. I don't know what's going on, but this thing told me that we have to find each other or something to win. The notes are supposed to confuse you though, because there's no way to tell who they are actually from. I guess this note isn't helping, but... argh, you're smart, Twilight. You'll figure it out, I'm sure. I'm worried about Fluttershy though.

The note ends here. You are confused and slightly worried now. You decide to look at the second note.

You are now playing my game. Your goal is to find your two friends. You cannot be killed while playing this game. I will dispense notes as appropriate to assist you. Any of these statements could be lies, as I am not obligated to tell the truth. The nature of reality may seem to bend and break while playing this game. Oh, by the way, you are now alone. Seriously. Go look outside. You'll find no one. Have fun!

You are starting to feel extremely disconcerted. You decide to peek outside, and you go to open your front door. Right before your hoof touches the handle, the door falls outward.

You gasp upon noticing that the sky is pitch black. Ponyville appears the same, except for strange glowing spheres of light that meander through the air. These are the only sources of light, aside from your library, which appears to still be lit by the now non-existent sun. Also of note is the complete lack of any life whatsoever. You decide to hold off on panicking for now and go back inside to check the third note.

Don't turn your back on the spheres of light.

You whip around to face the doorway once again, breathing hard. A note falls from the ceiling and lands on your face, causing you to jump. You lift it with magic and read it.

Made you look. =)

You grit your teeth.

-

You are a now a magic rainbow pony. You also have wings, for what it's worth. Probably not much in this situation, to be honest. Your name is Rainbow Dash.

You remember coming over to Twilight's place with Fluttershy to see if she could help you boost Fluttershy's confidence. She's an egghead, after all: maybe she had a book on it or something. She was excited about some triangle rock she found. Apparently it was some kind of game, so of course you were eager to play.

That was before it knocked you out. When you woke up, Twilight and Fluttershy were gone, along with the triangle. Instead there were two notes on the table. You decide to read one of them.

Rainbow, This is Twilight. Apparently, these notes are not temporally locked. What I mean is, I think when we send these notes to each other, we can send them to any point in the other player's session. I'm still not sure, but it also seems like we are all in separate sessions. I'm going to attempt to send this note to you at the beginning of your session, so if this is one of the first notes you read, I suppose that confirms my hypothesis. Another thing: I received a note from you very early on stating that I should not trust any notes I come across. I don't know if I'm going to cause some sort of paradox or if this will force you to write that note regardless, but I think I agree with the assessment. This game is determined to mess with our heads. I'm running out of time, so b

The note ends. Okay, so that was not nearly as reassuring as you had hoped. Apparently the game/triangle/thing actually worked. From Twilight's letter, or at least what you can understand of it, it doesn't seem like a very fun game. In fact, this is pretty creepy. Not that you're scared! You're just worried about your friends. Oh no! Fluttershy is probably in here too! You hope she's okay. If you're unnerved, you can only imagine what she's going through right now.

-

Your name is Fluttershy and you are currently trying to remember how to breathe without screaming.

-

You have to find her and help her! Oh wait, maybe the other note is from her.

'fraid not, buddy. You gotta find your pals to win the game. Don't worry about dying. Yes, this is my game. Or I am the game. However you want to look at it. By the way, I'm under no obligation to tell the truth at any given time. Any of these statements could be lies, yadda yadda inspire paranoia and all that. I'd tell you that Fluttershy is fine, but I prefer my lies to be less blatant, to be honest. Have fun!

You scowl. No stupid game was gonna get away with hurting your friends! Especially not Fluttershy! When you find whoever wrote this note you're gonna- Your promise of vengeance is interrupted by a note falling from the ceiling. You eagerly catch it and start reading, hoping that it's from Fluttershy.

p.s. you can swim right?

You give the note a nonplussed look before lifting your gaze. You are shocked to fine that the library is now filled with water. Sort of. The statement is not inaccurate, but it usually implies the water is following the law of gravity. The library is filled from the top downward, leaving a layer of air from ground level to about a foot above your head. So much for being a pegasus.

-

You are now an extremely frightened yellow pony. After (reluctantly) arriving at Twilight Sparkle's library and (reluctantly) agreeing to play a game with her and Rainbow Dash, you were knocked unconscious (not very reluctantly because it was more involuntary that anything). After waking up, you were surprised to find that Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle were both missing. You were equally surprised to fine Rarity standing in front of you. You had tried getting her attention, but she didn't seem able to hear you. You had then tentatively poked her side. What followed was probably one of the most terrifying moments of your life.

Rarity(?) had turned to face you. Now, when you say turned, you mean that was literally all she did. She didn't move her legs. Her hair didn't bounce at all. She remained as still as a statue, simply rotating. If that wasn't bad enough, her eyes were solid black. By this point you were pretty sure this wasn't Rarity. You had also run out of breath from screaming and screwed your eyes shut. After a minute of nothing happening and finally remembering how to breathe, you opened your eyes. Reluctantly.

The Rarity-statue was still in the library, but was currently standing in front of the door, facing it. It almost looked like she wanted to leave. You were still terrified, but the statue evidently did not want to harm you. Or couldn't harm you. Either way, you were probably safe. For now.

You finally notice that the small pyramid is missing. In it's place is a note. You decide to read it. Maybe Twilight left her a message?

Sorry to disappoint. This is a game now. My game. You are assuming that your friends are still alive. Interesting. Tell you what, I'll let you in on a little secret: you can rescue them. All you have to do is find them. But remember: something scared them enough that they abandoned you here. Are you brave enough to risk running into that? I'd say not to worry about dying, but where's the fun in that? You'll learn soon enough that you can't necessarily trust anything I say. Nor anything apparently from your "friends" for that matter. Yes, you might run across notes from them, but they might be me trying to trick you. Isn't it wonderful that no matter what I do now, you will be terrified of what I could be doing? Oh, by the way: have fun!

You really don't want to play this game anymore.