• Published 4th Dec 2014
  • 5,355 Views, 875 Comments

Seven Days in Sunny June, Book III - Shinzakura



In the past year, Sunset Shimmer's life has changed radically and now she finds herself with a family and friends - a life she treasures. But big changes are on the horizon....

  • ...
16
 875
 5,355

June 10: Decollage

“Well, that’s that,” Twilight said to Sunset. “She doesn’t want to speak to any one right now. I think she’s completely humiliated by her actions.”

The trio had returned to the home at Golden Oaks, and the moment they did, Octavia immediately went into the unfinished room that was being built for her, locking the door. While Twilight went to try to talk some sense into her cousin, Sunset had the unenviable task of calling Applejack for a status update, which had gone on for several uncomfortable minutes. By the time she’d ended the call, Twilight had joined Sunset in the latter’s room.

Sunset flopped on her bed, tossing her phone onto the nightstand. “Well, you may as well know: Rarity said that Fluttershy cried herself to sleep, and it took Rainbow talking patiently to Angel to get him to calm down. They’re both staying overnight at Flutters’ place so they can explain the situation to Dr. Posey. Plus, I think Rainbow wants an explanation on…well, you know.”

“Yeah, I can imagine so,” Twilight said. “How are you taking it?”

“I’m not even thinking about that right now, to be honest,” Sunset replied as she shrugged. “And as for the other aspect of it? I’m an orphan, Twily. If my biological parents suddenly showed up, I wouldn’t know how to react.” Especially since I have no idea if either is still alive, not to mention that they have no idea where I went since my initial split with Princess Celestia, she thought to herself. “Besides, whoever they are, they may have conceived me…but they’re not my parents.”

“Right, and besides, we’re not letting you go, anyway,” Twilight replied with a brief smile, though it soon disappeared. “Well, I’m going to wait up by the door; she can’t stay in there forever, and she’s going to need someone to keep her company when she comes out.”

Sunset yawned. “Unfortunately, that can’t be me. I need to get to bed so I can get ready for school in the morning.”

“Okay, good night, sis,” Twilight said, as she left the room, with Sunset seemingly getting ready for bed. Instead, however, she went over to the dresser, focusing on a pine-green candle with a set of matches by it. If anyone were to light the candle, it would give off a pleasant pine scent and nothing more. But as Sunset’s left index finger flickered with cyan spellfire, she gently tapped the wick, and it came alive with a huge splash of green flame. Two sparks leapt from the fire, coalescing into solid objects adjacent to the candle. A second later, a scroll appeared next to them, scented with a familiar perfume. Sunset couldn’t help but smile; the scent was distinctive to Princess Celestia’s personal stationery, which meant she got a letter from the princess. Eager to see what it said, Sunset wasted no time in opening the document.



Sunset looked at the box for a quarter second before opening the package, giving a delighted squee. OhmiCelestia…Haybales! She sent Haybales! Memories swarmed the flamehaired teen’s mind, of wolfing down the spongy sweetgrass-and-marshmallow treats, much to Celestia’s amusement. Oh, and…. Her jaw dropped. Is that? It is! Grassdots! Holy shit, I didn’t think they even made them anymore! A bluegrass-flavored jellybean-like candy, it was Celestia’s favorite candy and, thus by extension, Sunset’s. Unfortunately, though, the kindly old pegasus that had made them in Baltimare passed away without handing on the recipe, and so it had been lost. I wonder if someone managed to reverse engineer them?

She was about to ingest a few of each, before a sad reminder hit her: Wait…I’m human right now. I can’t eat these! Part of her was tempted to see if she could try to change back to her pony form in order to give in to temptation, but she didn’t know if she had that kind of power on hand even with her full magic now; plus, there was that little problem of having to explain everything if anyone picked the wrong time to come into her room.

Sunset went to bed with mixed feelings that night, grateful for Celestia’s ministrations…but depressed at her inability to enjoy her foalhood favorites. And on top of that was the ornate wood and brass jewel box she pulled from the bottom. It had the image of her cutie mark on it, and it was clear that the box itself was an additional gift; however, the glowing encryption spell – double-warded, in fact – had the former unicorn very concerned.

How dangerous was the thing within?

I need some sleep; I’ll look at it later, Sunset decided. Chances are, I’ll have a clearer head in the morning.

“You do realize that AJ and I are pissed as hell at Tavi, right?” Rainbow snarled at Sunset the following morning.

“Yes, Rainbow…but you’re not pissed at me, I hope, so please tone it down a bit?”

The athlete had the good grace to look flustered. “Uh, yeah, sorry. Look, it’s just…you know how delicate Flutters can be. Plus, that was a seriously dicked move for Tavi to pull.”

“Yeah, I know – Twily plans to read her the riot act over breakfast this morning; wish I could’ve stayed for that, but the maternal unit had to go in early, so I caught a lift with her. In any case, my parents and hers have already talked and so Tavi’s grounded for a week.”

“She deserves it. Hell, she deserves far more, and you know it!”

“Rainbow…whatever happened last night? I don’t know why my cousin did what she did, and I’m not even going to try to pretend to understand. But, for what it’s worth…I know she’s sorry. And frankly, she’s a little scared right now that she’s lost her closest friends.”

“She should be,” Rainbow grunted.

Not helping,” Sunset admonished.

“Fine. Look, I’ll call Rarity and see if Fluttershy’s willing to talk to her again – she’s staying there still, if only because she’s the only one who can understand how Flutters feels.”

“You mean that her melodrama can actually match what Fluttershy’s going through,” Sunset snarked. “On the other hand, Discord? I really can’t believe it.”

“Yeah, know what you mean.” The look on Rainbow’s face was one of shame. “All these years of me thinking that Discord was the most fucking awesome rock god there was, and all the times I said that repeatedly in front of her. I was stomping on her heart and I didn’t even know it! Worse, the guy I thought was the coolest rock star out there? He’s not only her father, but he’s an asshole, too! I mean…I’m at a real loss for words here.”

“I know what you mean: When I was seventeen – well, in pony years – I had the biggest crush on Jetstream, then the leader of the Wonderbolts, as well as their best flier, hooves down.”

“The what?”

“Pegasi who serve as military stunt fliers; they’re roughly the equivalent of the Blue Angels. Anyway, for my seventeenth birthday, Princess Celestia arranged for me to have a private meeting with him. I was hoping to meet one of my heroes. He…well, he thought I was just another groupie that wanted to lift her tail for him, and he had no idea who I was or that the meeting had been arranged by the princess.”

“Sounds serious. What happened?”

“Well, she came in, just as I was cowering in a corner and he was…well, let’s just say that it was one of the few times in my life that I’d ever seen her so angry, and it probably had an influence on why I thought she was going to kill me when I returned. As for Jetstream? He was arrested, got a court-martial, then kicked off the team and out of the Guard. If I recall correctly, he ended up having to eke a life for himself as a weatherpony in a small town in the Badlands – kinda like being exiled to the worst part of Arizona.”

“Sorry to hear that.”

“It’s in the past, and Celestia got there before anything happened to me. In any case, my point, ironically, is summed up in the human phrase, ‘you should never meet your heroes.’”

Rainbow rolled her eyes at that. “Well, duh, I think I knew that already. Your point is?”

“The point is that all this time, all we’ve ever seen him as is a rock god and all that comes with celebrity life. But Flutters once saw him as an even bigger hero than that: her father. And…well, I have no idea of what to do in this case, other than trying to help her in any way I can.”

Rainbow grinned as they reached their classrooms. “Hey, Sunny, trust me: that’s more than enough.”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Octavia said sullenly as she stared across the table at Twilight. In the kitchen, Night kept a general ear out, as he didn’t have to work today and so was putzing around the house. Even still, he surmised his daughter and his niece could figure it out, but better to have an adult nearby just in case.

“So, one burrito or two, girls?”

“One, Uncle Night,” Octavia said, trying to dodge the subject.

“Just one, Dad, thanks,” Twilight replied, and then turned back to her cousin. “And you are not getting out of this – frankly, I’m a little disappointed in you.”

“Gee, sorry, Mom,” Octavia drawled, her sarcasm dripping. Twilight just stared in response, and it made the raven-haired musician nervous; for some reason she couldn’t define, Twilight’s less than happy glare seemed to cut through her soul, something she’d never felt before. It was like if the whole of her life had just changed in that one look, and the older cousin, the one who had been more in control of her life and feelings than the younger, had just swapped places on the emotional pinwheel.

Nothing else was said as Night gave the two their breakfast burritos, the soft sounds of mastication being more than enough to grate on Octavia’s nerves. Finally, Twilight finished up, put her plate in the sink and gave her father a kiss on the cheek. “I volunteered to read to some kids at the library, so I’m going to be gone for a while. Then, I’ll probably go over Fluttershy’s and see how she’s doing.” She gave a nasty stare at Octavia and said, “Someone in this family shouldn’t leave Sunny to do all this alone.” And not waiting for an answer, she left the room.


Octavia looked at her half-eaten burrito. It was spicy, just the way her uncle made them and how she liked it, but today it somehow had lost its taste. And she couldn’t take her eyes off the incompleteness of the whole thing, as if it were the only thing that mattered.

“Made a mistake that you feel you can’t recover from?” she heard her uncle say. Octavia looked up and wordlessly nodded, not sure of how to answer it. He grabbed his plate then sat down across from her. “Well, from what it sounds like, you made a mistake, Tavi. Just talking to Evening…neither of your parents is really happy with you right now.”

“I know.” She looked at her uncle, genuine shame running through her. “I just…I just don’t know what happened. It felt like the right thing to do, even though in hindsight, I know it was stupid. And I admit that I should’ve been more sensitive to Fluttershy’s feelings, since she’s so fragile at times – far more than Twily. So what made me do it? I really can’t answer that.”

“I do,” Night replied.

“You do?”

The man nodded. “Tavi, I’ve helped raise you since you were in diapers, and I love you just as much as I do my own children. So I think I can fairly say that it’s…well, it’s a cry for help.” She looked at him oddly, but he continued. “Sunny’s become a major facet of our lives. Your parents are going away, and by the time they move back to the country – assuming they ever do – you’ll be an adult, and likely living on your own. Plus, a lot of your life, living part here and part with your parents, resembles a lot of what divorced children go through. And though your parents, as well as Velvet and I, have tried to give you structure, we’re human and sometimes we fail. So it’s natural that you’re confused deep inside and aren’t taking it well to some degree.

“From what little I know – and yes, I spoke to Dr. Posey about an hour ago via conference line with your parents and Velvet – you saw Fluttershy going through the same thing, and something went wrong. Something that you wanted to subconsciously rail against in your own way, you did through Fluttershy as a proxy. But because you weren’t entirely explaining yourself, you took away any agency she had to do so, and caused the error.”

“And I thought that Aunt Velvet was the psychologist in the family.”

He grinned. “I picked up a few things over the years. Besides, I’m not saying anything that she wouldn’t.”

“So then, aside from the obvious – and I do owe Flutters an apology regardless of whether it was wrong of me or not – what now?”

“Well, note that you’re grounded here and not at your parents’ place, mainly because they know that you need to work this out for yourself…with our guidance, of course. But you’re almost an adult, Tavi, and sooner or later you’re going to have to move beyond your pain and your issues and just realize that warts and all, this is life. And I know you will – we all do.” He got up, then went and hugged her, kissing her on the forehead. “Besides, you’re my favorite niece – can’t let you wander into the mess that’s adulthood if there’s something I can do to help.”

She grinned softly. “Aren’t I your only niece?”

“Not anymore; Velvet’s sister Glitter had a daughter a few months back. Little Cinnamon Star is just the cutest thing.”

Octavia then pouted, flashed bambi eyes and said in a soft voice, “What, not me?”

It was all Night could do to not laugh…and a second later he did, Octavia joining him as she felt things lighten for the moment.

The thoughts continued to echo through Sunset’s mind as she went through the remainder of her classes, and then as she went off to work. And as the hours ticked off at the café, Sunset still couldn’t get her mind off the current dilemma. It was bad enough that she had her own “family” issues, but now hers had directly bled into Fluttershy’s own, and that was one thing that she didn’t want. She had no idea why Tavi had screwed with Fluttershy like that, but that was in the past, and the only way to fix it was…well, to fix it.

“Sunny?” Sunset woke up out of her reverie to see Blossomforth, sitting down on one of the chairs in the café.

“Sorry, Blossom, spaced out for a sec,” she apologized. “What’s up?”

“Sorry, can you carry my tray to table three? The baby started kicking and I feel kinda queasy.”

“Kicking? Really?” Sunset asked cheerfully. When the teen mother-to-be nodded, Sunset went over and grabbed her tray. “Sure. Table three, right?”

“Yeah, thanks.”

“No problem!” Sunset replied while Blossomforth made her way towards the counter, where Pinkie was manning the cash register.

As Blossom approached the counter, Pinkie said, “Tag team?”

“That obvious?”

“Uh huh! But don’t worry, once the little girl’s born, I’ll start teaching her all my secrets! Parties, baking, cheerleading….” Pinkie’s eyes took on a sudden wild cast as she said in faux-German tones, “I vil mold her into ze finest party gurl in all ov Kanterlot!” The silly accent was bad enough, but for a moment, Blossomforth did a mental doubletake, thinking that Pinkie’s voice had mysteriously reverbed on its own.

“But…what if it’s a boy?” the pregnant teen asked, as she waddled over to the cash register.

Pinkie thought for a moment, getting off the chair so Blossomforth could sit down. “Well…guys can be party planners, bakers and cheerleaders, too, right?”


The flamehaired girl, meanwhile, stopped off at table three, saying, “And I believe you had the tuna melt on ry—Doctor Posey?”

Posey looked up from her magazine and smiled. “Oh, hello, Sunset.”

“What are you doing here?”

“I needed lunch and Cup insisted that I had to come in to try their newest menu, so I thought today was as good as any.” The woman then added, “But I wasn’t aware that you worked here.”

“Been for about half a year now,” Sunset replied. “Ever since…well, I’m sure Fluttershy’s told you about that.”

“My daughter’s shared a lot of things with me,” the doctor told her. “Like, for example, what occurred last night.”

The flamehaired girl became a bit pallid at hearing that. “I, uh, have to apologize for….”

But Posey shook her head, lifting up a single hand. “No, Sunset, you have nothing to apologize for. Rarity told me that you actually tried to help defuse the situation, which I very much appreciate. If anything, I owe you an apology; when Fluttershy looked completely heartbroken and your name was brought up, I immediately assumed the worst, given your past history. It was only when Rarity explained that I got the full picture.”

“Understandable,” Sunset replied, though she didn’t trust herself to continue down that line of reasoning, so she changed the subject. “How’s she doing, by the way?”

“She’s at home, as far as I know. You should go see her – I think she’d appreciate it.” Posey took a drink of her water then looked at the teen again. “I guess the news about Fluttershy’s father is public by now.”

“No, it’s not; Rainbow and I talked about it at school this morning and we both agreed that we should all keep it under wraps unless Fluttershy makes it public herself. But I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I’m, well, shocked. I never would have thought that her father is…you know.”

A wry smile came onto Posey’s face, and for some reason, it reminded Sunset of her friend’s more impish moments. Well, if nothing else, moments like that should prove her parentage, Sunset said to herself.

Unaware of her thoughts, Posey replied, “Trust me, I very well know. I was there. Twice, in fact.” A slightly wicked smile came onto the woman’s face as she added, “Well, more than twice, honestly; it just only twice that I ended up with child.”

“I…didn’t need to hear that.”

“I thought you were one of the ones that had already dated?” teased the doctor. “But seriously, I spoke to your parents a couple of hours ago and wanted to find out for myself what was going on…I haven’t told them everything, nor should I tell you, either. I feel that is my daughter’s place, as your friend, to tell all of you.”

“She didn’t want to before.”

“Because she was afraid of how some of you would react. Aren’t you and Rainbow are huge fans of his?”

“I am. Or maybe that should be was,” Sunset said, her voice lilting in a questioning tone. She had to admit, Discord’s music had been a balm for her during her first weeks here on Earth, probably one of the worst periods of her life at the time. She’d found a thrown away off-brand MP3 player that had most of the musician’s Explosive Chocolate, Vol. 1 album on it; though a good portion of the tracks had been corrupted, the lonely, haunting voice that sang soft songs to her during those days she adjusted to being human had called to her in a way that no other music had. Later on, she’d been able to get a phone and a subscription to eMusic; she’d found that Discord’s Explosive Chocolate series was an experiment and that the ballads within them paled in comparison to his giddy, goofy, sarcastic and sometimes caustic songwriting. In many ways, Discord’s music had been the soundtrack of her life here on Earth, and she practically always heard “Thrown Out the Door” as the background music the day she remembered stepping out of the portal, freezing, naked and afraid. Part of her even felt she owed Discord her loyalty, in a sense, because his music meant so much to her. And maybe before her change of heart, she would have blindly chosen him over other options in an instant, if only for that reason.

But now that music and the image of the reed-thin, often bare-chested crooner with the platinum hair and goatee contrasted with the chiffon-haired, cyan-eyed girl Sunset called one of her closest friends. And where there had been zero connection prior now lay a line thick as a tree and red as blood…for it was exactly that, a bloodline, stretching from the man to the girl. And as she realized that metaphorical line, Sunset could hear the anger and rage in Fluttershy’s voice from the night before, a level of fury that she’d never thought the oft-placid girl capable of.

Who did she owe her loyalty to? The distant rocker, whose music had been Sunset’s personal panacea through all the years she’d been here on Earth? Or to Fluttershy, one of the first to truly embrace and forgive her and take her in bonds of friendship? Where did the line draw? Where did the path end?

“The line draws to Footloose,” Posey replied, matter-of-factly. When Sunset looked at the woman, she smiled and added, “You just had that look on your face, Sunset; I figured that answer was as good as any other.” She then took a drink of her water, before continuing. “Personally, I thought he was great in Quicksilver, and still a hunk, if you ask me…but that’s not what we were discussing.” She then took a bite of the tuna melt, chewing happily before saying to herself, “Yeah, Cup’s right, this is good.”

Meanwhile, Sunset was trying to process everything; it was rare when her brain failed her so spectacularly like that, but this was clearly one of those times. “I’m not…sure we were having any sort of conversation, Doctor.”

“You’re right, we weren’t; well, not a conversation, per se. What we were doing was…well, I was asking you to talk to Fluttershy.” The woman took a sip of the accompanying soup and hummed a soft line of approval; the tune sounded like it came from one of Discord’s earlier songs. “Sunset, I won’t pretend that I don’t know about your past: You don’t know how many times when Fluttershy came home crying that I wanted to go find your parents and just give them a piece of my mind. Truth be told, if I ever could, I still would…but more now because of their abandonment of you and turning you briefly into something that no little girl should be. And while I don’t know what put you back on the right path, I can honestly say that your foster parents have done a marvelous job giving you the family that you should have had and the love that you needed.”

“I couldn’t have done it without Fluttershy,” Sunset admitted softly. “She was afraid of me for what I’d been in the past, but she moved past it to offer me her friendship.”

“I’m proud that she did, because right now, my little girl needs that, just as you did back then. She’s trying to be brave for Angel, she always has when it comes to him, but this is really wounding her.” Posey couldn’t quite seem to face Sunset as she recalled, “I remember how she worshipped the ground her father walked on as a girl, but…now my little girl’s in anguish, and there’s not a damn thing I can do to help, because I was part of the problem – I was part of what put her in this position.” The look in the composed woman’s eyes flickered for a second much like Fluttershy’s, and Sunset couldn’t help but wonder if Posey was just like her daughter when she was that age.

“Doctor, I can’t promise that I can help her the way you want me to. I’m still adjusting to having a family myself, barely having any grasp of what it’s like to have parents, a sister, a cousin that’s like a sister, and brothers. I can’t really help Fluttershy in that regard at all….” She closed her eyes, breathed slowly, and made a fist as if to ward off something.

“Sunset, I—”

“But I’ll sure as hell try,” Sunset suddenly interrupted in a tone that brooked no argument. “Because I know what it’s like not only to be a sister, but to be a big sister as well. If nothing else, that much I understand now. When Twily was going through her problems…I would have sacrificed my own life to save her. And I know that’s what Fluttershy would do for Angel. Because that’s what big sisters do.”

Posey looked genuinely surprised – and touched. “I’m an only child, Sunset – I don’t have that frame of reference.”

“Thankfully, I have a family that loves me enough to give me that. And that’s what Fluttershy’s trying to do for Angel; I never understood that earlier, but this past year has made me understand that so deep within me it’s like it’s in my marrow. So yes, I’ll do what I can. That was never in doubt, I promise.”

Posey looked at Sunset, and for a moment, there was something about the teen that the older woman couldn’t quite comprehend. That for a moment, there was a mature, noble quality about the teen that made her seem far older than she was; if Posey could put a definition to it, the way Sunset Shimmer seemed in that moment was almost as though she was not only a peer to Posey in terms of age, but also in terms of bearing, as though a person once thought to be the school bully turned out to be born for military command and took that seriously.

That was the sole thought that Posey stuck too as she looked at the young woman before her. I can see why Flutters was so worried about her when they finally buried the hatchet. There’s something about this girl that seems so unworldly and yet so commanding at the same time. What kind of life did she lead before she ran away that caused her to be like that? Posey then realized it was a good thing Sunset’s foster mother was a child psychologist; Velvet likely had her hands full at times trying to understand the girl.

In an art gallery in Brussels, a man sipped from a glass of wine. At his side, a young woman stood, looking at a clipboard. “Sir, I have a message from Beta. She would like to speak to you at your earliest convenience.”

“Not now,” he said, waving her way. “Tell her I’ll contact her later.”

“You’ll talk to me now,” a young woman replied. She looked right at Delta, a soft smile on her face. It was easily countered by the look in her eyes, a steely look that Delta imagined that he wouldn’t see on anyone else but the most battle-hardy of soldiers…or the cruelest of killers. She was drinking from a champagne flute, and if she was trying to imitate a bored socialite, she pulled it off very well.

“I’m impressed. What else do you do?”

Beta leaned forward and whispered, “Think far enough ahead to make sure I took an antidote for the vibrasnopam you had slipped into all the drinks here. So, tell me, which girl are you planning to take home? Would it be her?” The woman pointed at a dark-skinned beauty with vibrant sea-green hair; she looked like the kind of woman any guy would kill to go home with. “Or would it be her?” She then pointed at a beautiful blonde who appeared to be of Asian ancestry. “Or her?” A stunning beauty who appeared to be Irish, if the blazing-red and shamrock-green hair were any indication. “Or, perhaps, her?” The woman then pointed to the last person’s daughter, who looked to be about twelve.

“Watch your tongue,” Delta hissed.

“Just a reminder that you are our employer, not our liegelord,” the young woman hissed back. “And frankly, you should be glad that I’m here to admonish you for your stupidity. Gamma wanted to outright kill you for the suggestion.”

“You bluff is unimpressive, Beta.”

“And your short-sightedness is equally so,” Beta replied, a smile on her lips that held no joy. “Did you think you were the first one who thought that we gave out ‘bonuses’? You wouldn’t be the first one who thought that, sadly…and you wouldn’t be the first one we killed for thinking so, either. Keep that in mind.”

“So noted,” he replied. “Anyways, I grow tired of this, and my date,” he said, pointing to a cobalt-blue haired beauty that seemed to be of Mediterranean ancestry, “has come. So make this quick.”

“Fine. Target 01 has been neutralized; in an hour you’ll hear that he made a mistake of wandering into the middle of a mugging. It will be quick, dirty and Gamma intends to remove the assailant after it’s done. All other targets are still being monitored.”

“And of the leftward situation?”

“Eta arrived yesterday to prepare for the meeting. She will set up a surveillance outfit that will report to our local contact, and will then return so that we can continue local operations. But I caution you, as I did before, it will not be cheap.”

“Money is of no object. I brokered a deal with Alfa for several million euros for our cause.”

“That’s odd,” Beta said lightly. “We took him out yesterday; I take it you haven’t read the news today, have you?” Delta looked at her with wide eyes. “You do know he planned to doublecross you, did you not? That was his goal all along: set up the scheme, take you out and then frame you while he got all the spoils. Fortunately for you, we’re somewhat loyal to our contracts. Somewhat.

“I…see. You have my thanks.”

“I don’t need them. You know where to deposit the next round of operating funds, as well as our fees. And now, I leave you to your date.” As Delta’s date arrived, Beta suddenly turned into a different person, sounding flighty, vapid and with a British accent. And then she passed the drink – one Delta knew was spiked with vibrasnopam – to his date while she wandered off, feigning interest in a particular piece of sculpture in one of the other rooms.

As he watched Beta depart, he knew that the moment the contract ended, he had to have them – all of them – killed immediately. Trustworthy or not, they were too dangerous to his plans. Plans he could not afford to have derailed.

They were, after all, his divine right.

The Sock Hop was a new diner that had opened in town two months ago. Reminiscent of 1950s-style diners, they played a lot of Motown and songs of that era. While Sunset had never been a fan of that genre of music – similar songs had been all the rage just prior to her initial departure from Equestria and she found them trite back then – she had to admit, in a place like this it fit perfectly.

It also helped that Twilight was half-singing, half-humming along with the song, while Octavia seemed to be listening to it from an analytical sense as the music played on:

“‘Cause I’m cryin’, honey baby
‘Cause I’m lonely for you,
And I miss your tender arms
And a love so true

But you’re never comin’ back
And my smiles all turned to tears
And nothing my friends all say
Won’t push away the fears

Oh, babe, I want you back
(Want you back!)
Oh, babe, I want you back
(Want you back!)
Oh, babe, I want you back
‘Cause I’m so in love with you~!”

“Twily, stop singing!” Octavia scolded. “I’m trying to listen, because I want to play this for Grandma on her next birthday!” Seeing Sunset’s curious look, the raven-haired teen explained: “Oh, that’s right, you haven’t met our grandparents yet.”

“Something I should know?” Sunset asked.

“No, not really, other than Grandma’s a huge fan of 60s music, Motown especially – and this song’s her favorite: ‘I Want You Back’, by the Dazzlings. They were big back in the 60s.”

“Think I read about them; didn’t they just get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame earlier in the year?”

“Sorta,” Twilight interjected. “If I remember the news article on CNN correctly, the star’s only for Adagio Dazzle, who got one for both her career with the Dazzlings and then her solo career.” Twilight pulled out her phone then looked at the Wikipedia entry: “The three of them broke up some time around the end of the 60s, after Adagio felt her bandmates were holding her back. As for the others, Sonata Dusk started her own solo career and now goes by the stage name Grandma Funk, while Aria Blaze left the stage and now owns and runs Persephone Records. Apparently Adagio’s record label was hoping for a reunion between the three since they’re all in their seventies now, but they couldn’t get an agreement in time for the ceremony.” She shrugged. “I still like the music, though.”

“That’s because Grandma used to sing it to us all the time,” Octavia teased. “It’s not so much that you like it, so much that it’s embedded in our brains by now.”

Sunset’s phone went off and she looked briefly at it. “Look, the others are going to be here in a couple of minutes. You ready for this, Tavi?”

Octavia sheepishly nodded. “I feel like an ass for what I did. Uncle Night was right, I guess – I don’t want to think about it anymore, except to apologize.”


Two arms unexpectedly slipped around her and she froze in shock until she heard a soft voice say, “That’s okay, I forgive you.”

Octavia immediately got up and hugged Fluttershy back. “Flutters, I’m so, so sorry,” she said in a sad tone. “I’ll understand if you do—”

“No, none of that, Octavia, dear,” Rarity explained. “We’ve already been through the guilt gauntlet once with Sunset, so I think it’s fair to say that we’d never do that. You are our friend, and even though we were angry, Fluttershy’s forgiven you, so I cannot see why we cannot either.”

Twilight looked around. “Hey, where’re the others?”

“Applejack and Rainbow took both their sisters and mine out to see a movie,” Rarity explained. “Pinkie’s babysitting her cousins, and that covers anyone who would possibly know about this until or even if Fluttershy wants to make it public.”

A nervous look came over Fluttershy’s face. “I…I didn’t want anyone to know, not even you guys, though you’re my best friends. I…still don’t want anyone to know, but it’s too late for that.”

“Fluttershy, why didn’t you want us to know?” Sunset asked. She would have said more, but at that point, the waitress showed up and started taking their orders; true to life, the girl was dressed like she was going to a sock hop from the 50s, and everyone noted with mild amusement that Twilight was paying attention to the waitress’ poodle skirt.

“Twilight, dear, if you’d like, I can make you a few,” Rarity offered as the plum-haired teen watched the waitress head off to input their orders. “But in the meanwhile, shall we focus on Fluttershy?”

“Sorry.” Twilight looked sheepish at that point, her cheeks flaring red from embarrassment.

“That’s okay,” Fluttershy replied. “It let me think about it.” She took a breath, and said, “Okay, girls, I trust you, so I’ll say it. Yes, Binary Explosive is my father.”

“But I thought that —”

“I’m using my grandfather’s name – my paternal grandfather’s name – instead, so nobody hears what I’m saying,” she whispered. When they all nodded in understanding, she continued. “Yes, he’s my father. And I once loved him very much. Back then, he was the greatest father there could be. I practically worshipped the ground he walked on. But I was just a little girl with a little girl’s understanding of the world, and not how things really work. Because if I did, I would have known that he cared more about being ‘Binary’ than being mine and Angel’s father.

“Are you sure about that?” Octavia asked. “My parents are on the road all the time, and I have a great relationship with them.”

“But you also have your aunt and uncle and cousins,” Fluttershy reminded her. “And it’s both your parents – your mother is just as involved as your father. But for us, it was different. He left Mom to raise us all alone. He’s never once contributed to anything since he left. As much as Mom’s away from home, she at least comes home! She spends time with us! Dad never did. Did you know that letter you showed everyone is the first time in over a year I’ve heard from him? He doesn’t care, and I don’t believe a single word in that letter.

“We were inconveniences to his lifestyle. He wanted the girls, the gold and the mansion in Malibu. He didn’t worry even once that my Mom was able to cobble together a life for us once he left – I’m glad she’s a doctor and making enough money to support us, because I don’t know how my life would’ve been, otherwise!

“And if you think I’m hurting, what about my little brother? Angel can’t speak and he can’t hear. There are operations for that sort of thing, and a certain someone could afford to pay for it, all so Angel – his son – can hear! But not once. Never! I saw my mother break down in tears because of it. She would do anything for us, and if it wasn’t for the fact that the operation is even out of our price range, she wouldn’t think twice. But Dad – who apparently spends weekends in beaches in Brazil snorting cocaine and screwing prostitutes in Rio – can’t shell out the money for his own flesh and blood!”

Screwball’s words from months ago echoed in Sunset’s mind: “He doesn’t want it to be public info, because he’s trying to keep his family shielded from all this. And…truthfully, his attorney’s suing that rag. The guy’s a lookalike, and I know it, because when they claimed that drugfest in Brazil happened? Discord was working on lyrics while on vacation with his wife in the English countryside.”

The thought made her wonder. Does she even know? “Fluttershy, odd question, but…has your Mom ever been to England?”

The chiffon-haired girl nodded. “Last summer, she attended a workshop for her specialty that was held in Bournemouth. I remember, because Angel and I stayed with my maternal grandparents that week. Why do you ask?”

Does she really not know? “Well, I should tell you know: I—”

Octavia immediately interjected. “No, that’s my business to tell her, not yours, Sunny. Flutters, you may as well know: One of my cousins on my mom’s side of the family is Screwball, and we ran into her at the Brentwood back in March.”

Fluttershy looked confused. “Who’s Screwball?”

“She’s lead guitarist for Discord’s band,” Twilight said. “I don’t listen to hard rock and even I know that.”

“Oh. Well, you know that I’m not a fan of his music. Never really was, though I will admit that I like a lot of the stuff he introduced me to when I was a little girl.”

“Anyway,” Sunset interjected, “Screwball told me that the incident down in Brazil was fake – as in, that was a body double. Your father wasn’t even there.” Sunset paused, wondering if she should say what she knew. Then she realized that this was Fluttershy – she had to, if only for her friend’s best interests. Fluttershy would do the same for me, even if I didn’t want to hear it, Sunset knew. “Flutters…your parents are still seeing each other.”

The shy girl suddenly paled. “They’re what?”

“The Brazilian incident happened around the same time Screwball said Discord was vacationing in the English countryside, writing lyrics…and spending time with his wife.”


The girls suddenly became silent as they made the mental connection.


That didn’t last as Fluttershy calmly stood up, grabbed her bag, and ran out of the restaurant.

“What th…?” Rarity asked.

Sunset didn’t answer. She’d already gotten up and rushed out after her friend. After Rarity hurriedly told the waitress to cancel their orders, the rest of them raced out as well, hoping to catch the duo.

A pair of beautiful young women stepped off the plane and walked down the jetway, smiles on their faces. The eldest one looked to be just out of college age, while her counterpart looked to be of high school age. With a precision born of someone who often traveled, they retrieved their bags before heading towards the customs and immigration desk.

As they arrived, a customs agent met them. “Passports please,” the rather bored agent said.

“Of course, luv,” the eldest said in what sounded to be an Australian accent as she handed over her passport. “Lovely day you Yanks are havin’.”

The agent smiled. “Yeah, Canterlot’s a beautiful place. Got reassigned here from New Jersey and let me tell you – no comparison. I ain’t going back,” he told her. “Here for business or pleasure?”

“I’m attendin’ UC Horseshoe Bay, so settlin’ in now,” the eldest told him. “As for m’ sister here, just her first visit t’ the States, so….” On cue, the younger handed her passport over.

“Ah.” He gave cursory looks at the second one, then handed both back. “Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the United States, Ms. Sweet Macadamia and Ms. Southern Orchid,” he said to both.

Macadamia gave the guy a wink. “Thanks! C’mon, Orchid, let’s get t’ the car hire.”


The pair walked a decent distance before Orchid said, “Aussie? Really? You couldn’t fool someone from Adelaide, Ontario much less the actual city in Australia!”

“How could you tell?” the girl identified as Macadamia replied in an accent that was definitely not Australian.

“You were doing a New Zealand one – slightly different. Plus, your slang and colloquialisms need work,” the younger one corrected.

“That was intentional, to see if you were paying attention,” “Macadamia” said in the correct accent and inflections. Switching back to her native accent, she added, “I see you’ve been studying. By chance, did you read the intel brief?” When the other girl shook her head, the older girl tsked. “You know if Cantata were here, she would not be happy about that.”

“Orchid” nodded. “Yeah, sorry about that, Maddie. I know I should’ve read up on the briefing, but…hey, I’m nervous about this.”

“Maddie” looked at the other girl. “Look, I’m not going to lie: this is your final test before you’re fully approved for solo operations; and your counterparts are with their trainers undergoing the same. Cantata and Toccata were hesitant about this, but, Mezzo, Vesper and I told them we couldn’t coddle you three forever, not if we’re going to go for the ultimate goal after this job's done.”

The younger girl perked up. “Really?” she asked.

“That’s the plan. I believe in you – the three of us believe in all three of you – and we’re going to need you all field-ready if we’re going to pull it off, got that?”

The younger girl slid into a military attention stance, whispering, “Yes, ma’am,” before relaxing.

She’s probably not even aware she did that, the eldest thought, hiding her smile. I remember when I was young and raw like that. I remember those days well, and I wish that we could have them back. But they never would, she knew. They were at war, and even though they had to make unsavory deals to raise funds, like this current assignment, there was always still the goal in mind, always the plan. And the Sisterhood would always be cognizant of their goal, from the oldest, to its three youngest members and the last before everything went to hell.

Her phone suddenly rang, and she answered it. “Madrigal Storm,” she said simply.

“Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiii~, Maddie!” a goofy voice on the other side said.

Madrigal knew who it was in a heartbeat. “It’s Violin Elegy,” she voiced to the younger before returning her attention to the call. The team quartermaster always acted like an idiot, but that was intentional, if only so people would underestimate her, half the Sisterhood included. But Madrigal knew better; last year’s events in Bogota had proved that. “What’s up, Ellie?”

“We have a report from Rappi. Team Six was taken out by Les Scars – we lost the whole team. I know you have one of the kids with you, so please, be careful.”

“I will. Thanks.” She hung up the line to prevent it from being traced, then looked at “Orchid”. “Let’s…find a place to eat. Got some news for you.”

“Kuala Lumpur went south, didn’t it?”

“Yeah, it did.” She saw the sudden downturn on the other girl’s face and said, “Look – now’s not the time to get emotional. I know your group was close to Clarinet and the others, but we have a job to do. We can grieve when we get to the hotel. But let’s get the car and some food first.”

“Roger that,” the younger one replied, before a thought crossed her face. “Hey, Maddie, can we get Mexican food for lunch?”

Madrigal nodded; the kid was going to need the cheering up. “Yeah, sure.”

“Poe, do me a favor and go home and get some sleep,” Redheart told her friend and colleague. “You look like shit and this stuff with the Mix case is getting to you.”

The look in Posey’s eyes was irritable. “Red, aren’t you worried?”

Redheart rolled her eyes. “You’re still the same stubborn ‘will beat back death’ girl that I knew in medical school.”

Posey grinned. “Yeah, and you’re still the same ballbuster I knew back in med school, too!”

“Dontcha know it.” Redheart walked over to the counter and poured herself and Posey a couple of cups of coffee, then brought it over to her friend. “Now, drink this, then let the night shift see to Mrs. Mix and let’s get out of here. Tell you what: dinner’s on me tonight. How does Souplantation sound?”

“Sounds great – I could use something healthy for a change,” Posey laughed before she heard some shouting in the outer hall. The two doctors had barely enough time to turn around before Fluttershy burst into the room, harried and angry, with a worried Sunset Shimmer right behind her.

“Mom?” Fluttershy spoke.

“Yes?” Posey asked, knowing this was probably not going to be good in the slightest.

“Why…why….” She paused for breath. “Why did you lie to me?”