• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 346 Views, 1 Comments

A King to his Throne - Rascal61



A Tale about a young stallion trying to find the long lost Crystal Empire, but of course he encounters a range of obstacles that lead him astray or even try to stop him in his quest to find the Long lost Kingdom that used to belong to Equestria

  • ...
 1
 346

Chapter 2

Ellie always enjoyed her time at the Archives, she practically had free reign to do whatever she wanted, as long as she didn’t harm any of the books or get caught. Sometimes she would try her paws at reading books, mimicking the actions her Owner took. Sometimes she would explore all the different cases and shelves that held the large books, and sometimes her dear owner would find a pretty picture book for her to look at.
This time though, Ellie was pretending to be racing like a fast race horse while navigating the ever large piles of books that Starswirl had collected while trying to find what he needed. Of course, Ellie didn’t exactly know what was going on, and her thought process wasn’t exactly the greatest, but she was having an amazing time just scurrying along and through the piles of books.

Starswirl was not having such a fun time, especially when compared to the fast movements and small happy squeals that his pet was making. He had given up on reading for the moment, his head resting on the wooden desk with a few books wide open and a lot more closed and in piles. The piles reached far above his head height, and if he wanted to stand on the desk the piles would be taller than him.

He had been searching and reading books all throughout the day, and it was bound to be night if Starswirl made way to check, but of course he didn’t.
He couldn’t find anything that he would need to convince the Princess that the Crystal Empire existed, the old books that he had seen just weeks ago were all gone, and all texts that he had found were much too modern to be taken seriously.
Starswirl was at a Dilemma, in his heart and mind he was convinced that the Crystal Empire was real, and that somehow it could recovered, but currently all means to somehow achieve the Empire’s recovery had gone missing.
If he could not convince the princess, then he would not have the help of the Royal Aid, and he could not possibly recover the Entire Kingdom on his own. An archeological team, a guard or defensive team, a team of labour ponies, and enough supplies to keep ponies alive in the Cold tundra of the North would be needed to recover the Crystal empire. And the Royal Aid would be the only way to get that done.

Starswirl was at a loss, he had collected and gone through possibly over 150 books and texts to try and find some solid evidence that could convince the princess. Maybe he could sweet talk her, He was known to her, maybe some pulling on the fact that he was the youngest high magician might give him a little chance to convince her.
There was some hope in that idea, and that made Starswirl lift his head. He was just thinking to himself, tired and with sore eyes, but he was just trying to do something good with his life. Yes he was still young, but many that decide to take magic seem to always go stagnant in their time of study and learning, and then they stay doing nothing with their lives.
Starswirl did not want that for himself, he wanted to have a name that many would actually remember, that in textbooks that other may read in the future, his name won't just pop up for inventing just a new spell or potion, but instead for doing something actually great.


Maybe this was what they Crystal Empire thing was about, maybe he had just taken a very realistic story and made it real in his own mind.

No, Starswirl had to shake these thoughts out of his head. He had no idea why he was thinking such things. Yes he wanted something of his life, and the Crystal Empire was the perfect thing, and the Entirety of Equestria could learn a lot about their early days and history, and learn a lot about a lost people of theirs. If the Crystal heart could be discovered once again, then maybe it would bring happiness to the land, and maybe re-establishing the lost Kingdom would benefit Equestria as a whole.
Starswirl was going to find the Crystal Empire, For himself and his curiosity and his pride, and for Equestria.

Of course, he was still in his Dilemma, he had to no evidence to give the Princess to make her give him Royal Aid. His past of idea of sweet talking her didn’t feel exactly right, now that he had not thought about it and had come back to it. He couldn’t do that, he couldn’t cheat the Princess, even if he was right.
So the only option that Starswirl had was to do it himself, whether it be him the one to organise everything, or he be the one that did everything, but either way, the Royal Aid was no longer an option.
Unless he could find the book that he needed, but it was still a mystery as to where it had gone.

Taking books out of the Archives was forbidden, but there were many copies of the same book so that more than one pony could read it at the same time. This was for all levels, and even the most oldest books had copies made so that many a pony could read it.
Yet, it seemed as though every copy of the books that Starswirl desperately needed for evidence had gone missing.

He couldn’t explain it, but either way the action of the missing books had led him to take this matter of the Crystal Empire into his own hooves.
Organising and paying for many ponies to accompany him to the North was probably out of his budget, he didn’t exactly earn the greatest living and the small fortune he had now was because he had worked hard to earn every bit.
The only way he had been able to earn bits so far was by doing casting and potions for the public, ponies needing pans and pots enchanted so they would cook faster, or equipment enchanted so that they were more efficient for the trade they belonged too. Old ponies needed a good health potion to help out their bones, and those who had problems would need a sleeping potion or two to help them rest soundlessly at night.

But of course, the trade was not all that well paying, but over his young years Starswirl had gathered a small fortune, and most of it was kept safe in the Canterlot Bank collecting dust and over time, some more coins.
He couldn’t possibly use all of his money on his endeavour for the Crystal Empire, he had plans to buy a better home than what he had now when he was a much older Stallion, and Starswirl didn’t want to throw away that future.
So, he would have to go on the adventure on his own.

Oh maybe not totally alone, as his pet Ellie reminded him that she existed by finally crossing the finish line in her imaginary racing track. She had made the track quite a long one, though it was easy to do so with the large amount of twists and turns the piles of books had given her, and she had made her race only one lap and against no one.

Ellie brought a smile to Starswirl’s face, to every other pony he seemed quite lonely, has he had no friends and the ponies he ever associated with was with the Archive guards and the Princess. But Ellie kept just fine company, she was the only friend that Starswirl needed.

“My dear Ellie, we are going to have to go on an adventure. On our own, and to the icy plains in the North. It may be fun, and it will definitely be dangerous, so what do you say, my dear little hedgehog. Do you want to go on an adventure with me?”

Ellie couldn’t take back, anything she barely noticed her owner talking to her as she started to roll about in the empty space that Starswirl’s head had been occupying earlier when he was resting, but she did stop when Starswirl bumped her onto her feet with his snout.
She looked at him then, squinting her eyes and scrunching up her nose, seemingly not liking the endearing action her owner just made. But she stopped with her face making and went to his saddle bags, crawling in and making her usual nest in there.

Starswirl had to take that as an agreement from his pet, so he went on with his leaving rituals. He had to take each and every single book one by one back into their original spot, using his magic to lift the books back into the proper place.
He then made sure he left the desk exactly has he had found it, and then got his attire looking fine enough to walk out the gates in. His saddlebags, and the precious cargo of Ellie, were strapped back on. And his cloak was secured back into place, once again covering the bags and a lot of his actual figure.

And then he made his way up the Archive steps once again, though this time instead of having hopefully thoughts of Winning over the Princess’ help, he was thinking about what exactly he needed in order to Accomplish this mission all on his own.

Just how could one stallion recover an entire Lost Empire?

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment