• Published 27th Jun 2014
  • 6,504 Views, 309 Comments

Battlestar: Celestia - Lunar Soldier



A pilot, knowing only death and destruction for most of his life, is the last human in the galaxy. Taking his carrier ship, the Caprica, he jumps to unknown space.

  • ...
42
 309
 6,504

Someone to Watch Over Me

Post-Equus arrival, day 117
16:05 hours, Canterlot Standard Time
Caprica

Mark knifed his Cobra between the port flight pod and the main hull, narrowly avoiding the belly of the ship. His maneuver forced one of his pursuers up, and the other down and away from the hull. Mark banked right and half-looped to the topside of the Caprica, skimming just meters away from its surface. Mark’s HUD highlighted the Cobra that chose to climb, his targeting systems locking onto the craft. He instinctively brought his index finger into a button on the flight stick, launching a missile.

The doomed fighter turned to evade the projectile, but began her bank too late and in the wrong direction. Three beeps from inside his helm confirmed his kill. “Splash one!” he exclaimed in his headset.

The “hit” fighter retreated back toward the Caprica. “Roger, Shocker. Kill confirmed.” Sky Eye sounded off. “One target remaining.”

He looked down at his scanner, seeing the blip of his next victim five hundred meters below him and to his left… and closing. Cadet Ember Streak was a unicorn proving to be a competent Cobra pilot. Mark slowed, letting the other Cobra within two hundred meters, before turning and letting the other ship give chase.

“Ha ha!” The other pilot said triumphantly. “I think you’re starting to lose your touch, Captain!” The unicorn pilot pressed the kinetic guns trigger, activating the training lasers.

Mark spun in a tight barrel roll, knowing the rookie pilot would chase after him with his crosshairs and not be able to keep up. He then leveled out his flight, cut his main thrusters, and spun his fighter nose-over-engine. Now facing his attacker but still carrying his forward momentum, Mark triggered his own training lasers, keeping them focused on Ember Streak. Three more beeps from his helm confirmed his second kill. “Have I, now?”

“Gahhh!” The frustrated unicorn hit the bulk of his console with a covered hoof. Before departing Canterlot the previous day, Mark had been informed that the local seamstress had completed part of his order: Three airtight flightsuits specifically fitted for pony anatomy. The design, he was told, was not difficult to duplicate after they were given a spare flight suit from another pilot. The tricky part was making room for muzzles and horns in the helmets, to which Mark enlisted the best blacksmith he could find, who had managed to painstakingly extend the helms in the correct areas, though the electronic components did require some quick rewiring.

“So,” Mark began, still flying in reverse and facing Ember Streak, “what did we learn?”

“You have a death wish?”

Mark gave a huff of a laugh. “Besides that.”

Ember thought. “I don’t know, other than Cobras can turn and face their attackers.”

“Well, you’re on the right track. Don’t be so quick to assume that you have a kill just because I, or whoever you’re chasing, made a mistake. They could be baiting you in.”

“Is that what you did?” Ember Streak asked.

“Aye, and you took it, hook, line, and sinker. Squad, form up.” Mark corrected his flight, pointing his nose toward the direction of his flight and reengaging the main thrusters. “Oh, and Night Shade,” he called to the mare in the other Cobra who was falling into formation, “what did you learn?”

“Bank in the correct direction to avoid becoming just another statistic,” she answered.

“That’s correct. Remember, ‘Breath, read, and react.’” Mark said as Ember took his place in the formation at the Mark’s right flank, and Night Shade at the Ember’s right. Mark banked left, and the others followed suit. “Now let’s head home. I believe you both owe me a drink.”

Caprica to Shocker,” Mark recognized Des’s voice. “Am I to understand you are heading back to the ship?”

An eyebrow shot upwards in Mark’s helm. “That was the plan, yes.”

“Very good. Standby to receive landing procedure instructions.”

“Solid copy.” The three fighters came out of their bank, rapidly approaching the Caprica. “Standing by to receive instructions.”

“Shocker, you are to approach port landing pod from bow-approach. Ember Streak and Night Shade, approach from astern. Cross-traffic is secure and there are no exiting vehicles. Call the ball.”

“Roger. I have the ball.” The formation broke as Mark was the first to reach the landing pod. He slowed, crossing the force field that gave the craft a shake. Below, Mark observed ponies scurrying about the deck, painting the United Equestria emblem over the marks of the SSDC. Busy work, Mark knew, but it kept the minds of his crew at least partially distracted from Cadance. He spotted his landing zone, spinning ninety degrees to point the nose toward the tarmac, and landed with the grace of a butterfly. Not too bad.

A step ladder promptly wheeled itself by the cockpit, the glass hatch hissing as it opened. Mark undid the airtight lock on his helm, welcoming the rush of cool air onto his face. He removed his helmet, placing it atop the exposed console. A pegasus helped him remove the fitted collar around his neck, forming the last of the airtight seal to the rest of his body. Mark popped up onto the seat, climbing onto the ladder and down to the deck.

“Welcome back.” Des’s voice gave him a startle.

“Thanks…” Mark said with an upward inflection in his voice and in his brow.

Spitfire trotted across the tarmac, followed by Silver Star, who was levitating a bottle and several glasses. “Happy one thousandth landing, Captain!” they both cheerfully said in unison.

“No shit?” Mark looked at Des in disbelief and with the biggest smile she had ever seen him wear. “Was that really landing number one thousand?”

“Aye, sir!” Des gladly replied. Silver Star popped the cork from the champagne bottle, sending the projectile over to the crew pits. She filled a glass and levitated it over to Mark, quickly filling and distributing the rest.

“To our fearless Captain, and to his one thousandth landing!” Spitfire raised her glass into the air.

I’ll never figure out how they’re able to do that, Mark thought as his glass joined all the others.

“May he have one thousand more!” Spitfire loudly declared before they drank. The beverage was bubbly and fruity, with a tangy aftertaste that left him wanting more.

Somewhere in the middle of their toast, Ember Streak and Night Shade joined the group. Mark took note of them after going bottom’s up on his glass. “Hey rookies, remember when I said you both owed me a drink?” They looked at each other and nodded. “I lied. Head back to your quarters and find me after chow. Drinks are on me!”


19:03 hours, Canterlot Standard Time
Crew lounge, Caprica

“So then, we’re both standing there in the shower, naked as the day we were born, and our senior drill instructor is looking right at us.” The last bit of the story gave the gathered ponies a hearty laugh as Mark brought his personal ceramic mug; an all black vessel, save the Grim Reaper encircled by the caption “Dead Men Tell No Lies,” to his lips. He took a healthy pull before slamming it back down onto the table, continuing his tale. “We both look at each other, and then back to him, and, in the calmest voice I’ve ever heard him speak in, he says, ‘Just be sure you two get thoroughly washed up,’ and leaves!” The lounge erupted in laughter so loud that Mark was certain the Griffons below heard them.

“So what happened next?” he heard a voice call out once the laughter had died down.

“Oh, young one, we are in the presence of mares!” Mark gestured to the few mares that had gathered around him. “And I’m not the type to kiss-and-tell… everything.” A few muttered laughs as well as blushes came from the crowd.

Spitfire was seated to his left, sipping on what was left of the champagne. “So what happened to you two?” she asked.

“Oh…” Mark sighed, readjusting his flight suit he let hang around his waist, “I got assigned to the Thor’s Hammer right after graduation, and she went to another BXR doing deep-space exploration.” He paused to take a drink. “We’d talk every once in a while. Last that I knew, she was at Gaia when it fell.” The room fell eerily silent, many of the gathered ponies dispersing as Mark stared at his drink.

“Sorry,” Spitfire apologized. “I didn’t mean to--”

“No,” Mark interrupted. “No, no. It’s alright. You didn’t know.” He finished out his mug with three large gulps, placing the now empty vessel back on the table.

“So…” Spitfire started.

“So…”

“I don’t know. I feel like I hit a nerve.”

“It’s nothing, really!” Mark reassured her. “I thought that she and I were going somewhere, and it didn’t turn out that way. ‘It is what it is’ as we used to say.”

Spitfire was about to retort, but a ship-wide alarm began to blare. “What the…” Mark thought out loud. “There were no drills scheduled for today.”

“Alert stations!” Des’s voice rang. The ponies in the lounge scattered in a flurry, heading toward their stations. “Senior staff, to the bridge!”

“Well this is just fan-fuckin’-tastic.” Mark cursed as he stood. He was slightly wobbly, taking a moment to correct his step before jogging to the bridge. “Down ladder! Make a hole!” he yelled as he and Spitfire made their way through the corridors. Upon arriving at the bridge, the hatch flew open to reveal the flurry of ponies in action. “Report!”

“Captain,” Steel Hoof’s voice called out once again from the sensor relay, “We’ve detected a ship crossing over into the Griffon Kingdom. Based on its trajectory, I’ve inferred it came from Equestria.”

“Why wasn’t it detected until now?” Spitfire asked.

“Well…” Steel Hoof stammered, “the captain ordered narrow scans encompassing only the Kingdom. We weren’t notified until it broke into the threshold.”

“No matter, cadet.” Mark brought two fingers to his forehead. “It’s my fault for not staying with the normal scans. But we needed to know detailed information about where Cadance is being held.” He gave his head a shake. “I’d kill for some coffee, or a B12 shot.”

Spitfire, always on the ball, came back from the bridge coffee maker. “Figured you’d want to get sober quickly.”

Mark gladly accepted the cup. “Thanks.” He took a sip. “Good thing Commander Mandkea was a coffee-holic. Speak of details, what do we know about the new airship?”

“It’s empty,” Steel Hoof began to report, “except for the four blips that show on the thermal scan, with the possibility of a fifth. Composition scans show no explosive ordnance, nothing of any kind, except objects that are composed of metallic alloys, most likely armor.”

“Great.” Mark muttered. He turned to Spitfire. “I’ll give you four guesses as to who it is.”

“Shining Armor?” she answered.

“It’s only logical.” The charting table brought up a localized scan, showing the position of the airship and the compound where Cadance was being held. “The love of your life is in hostile territory, and your requests to go after her have been shot down. So, you take four of your best buds and go rogue.”

“No,” Spitfire gasped. “Not Shining. He was a dedicated knight of the royal guard. There’s no way he’d refuse a direct order.”

“Love makes us do funny things, captain.” Mark faced Steel Hoof. “How far out are they?”

“At least…” the cadet paused to observe his screens. “Wait, they’ve ditched their boat at the shore and are proceeding to the compound on hoof.” He looked back to the captains. “By the Princesses, what is he thinking?”

“Tactical, Mr. Hoof.” The scan on the compound filled the screen. “Close and bar up all the doors, and point all your arrows and spears skyward. Shining knows they’re prepared for an aerial assault.”

“Which is why they won’t be expecting ponies on the ground.” Spitfire finished. “How long before they get there?”

“At current pace…” Steel Hoof looked back to his display, “Thirty minutes ma’am.”

Mark brought a hand to his chin, stroking the light stubble. “Put Star Beam on standby, and have the deck crew prep my Cobra and a Hopper.” Silver Star nodded and began to relay the message. “Oh, and Silver...” She looked back up. “Internal and external ordnance for the Cobra.”

“Expecting to shoot something, captain?” The golden mare asked.

“I hope not.” His eyes met hers. “But, just in case he mucks this up… I’d rather not go in unprepared.”


00:32, local time
Griffon Kingdom, undisclosed compound holding Cadance

The wall that stood before the group reached up into the night sky. It’s got to be at least ten meters, Shining thought as he scanned it. He waved a hoof to bring the others in. “Okay, on the other side of this wall, there’s a yard we’ll have to cross before we get into the building where Cadance is,” he whispered.

“Are you sure we’re in the right spot?” One of the other unicorns asked.

“Yes. Mark showed me which one it was a couple of days ago.”

“How do we get up and over the wall?” another inquired. “We didn’t exactly bring any rappelling gear.”

“A little trick that Twily showed me.” Shining closed his eyes, focusing his magics on the spell that had allowed Twilight to levitate herself before she had grown her wings. A soft mauve glow illuminated himself and those around him, sending them upward. Shining cracked open an eye as they passed over the crest of the wall, ensuring there were no Griffons in the immediate area. The grass below muffled their landing and hoofsteps as they took cover behind Cadance’s location.

“Guard at ten o’clock,” Shining whispered as he brought his head back to cover. “Moving east. Prepare to move on my mark. Stunning beams only.” He counted to five, allowing the guard to gain some distance. “Move now!”

The scurrying of hooves fell upon the ground as the group made their way to the entrance. Shining and another unicorn stood at the doorway as he brought his magic down onto the handle. The latch opened as Shining brought a forehoof to the door, forcing it open in a quick swing. The room revealed two very startled Grayclaw Griffons, who were quickly dispatched with the stunning beams from the unicorns before they had time to react.

“Stay here and guard the door,” he gestured to one of his comrades. “Let’s move.”


19:37 hours, Canterlot Standard Time
Bridge, Caprica

“Sir, they’re in the compound,” Steel Hoof reported. “I’m also detecting strange readings the computer can’t seem to understand.”

“It’s the same readings that I’ve been detecting ever since we got here,” Des said to Mark.

“A magic discharge?” Mark asked.

“Most likely.”

“Cadet,” Mark said and faced Steel Hoof, “can you tell if they’ve been discovered yet?”

“Doesn’t look like it,” he replied. “Thermal scans showed two heat signatures in the building before Shining and his squad entered, then the magic discharge reading occurred. All other thermal blips seem to be acting normally.”

Mark turned to the comms relay. “Silver, your thoughts.”

“Most likely it’s just a stunning beam they were hit with.” Silver said as she navigated the console. “All guards are taught it. I highly doubt Shining has it in him to kill another being. They’ll be out for hours.” She pressed a hoof to her headset. “Your Cobra and Hopper have been prepped.”

“Very well.” Mark returned to the main chart. “He might actually pull this off.”

“There may be a problem with that, sir,” Steel Hoof spoke up again. “I’ve got two heat signatures coming down from the north on the western coast.”

“Show me.” A flicker on the charting table switched the displays to the thermal scans of the highlighted region. Just as Steel Hoof said, two red dots were slowly making their way down the drawn coastline toward the airship that was highlighted in green. “How long?”

“They’ll find the airship in ten minutes, at current pace.”

Mark studied the map. “If they were to get Cadance out now, not taking the time for stealth, and going full-gallop back to the boat, would they make it?”

Steel Hoof shook his head.

Mark’s heart sank into his chest before bringing a clinched fist down. “Dammit.” He rolled his flight suit back up over his shoulders and zipped up the seal. “Battle stations!” he called out. “Set Condition Two throughout the ship!”

The deep buzzing sound of the alarm systems began to ring, along with the voice of Des repeating, “All personnel to stations. Set Condition Two. This is not a drill.”

“Get me a line to Celestia,” Mark shouted as he inserted a wireless headset on his ear, “On the mobile! And tell Star Beam it’s time to fly!”

“Aye, sir!” Silver shouted back. A few buttons and the flip of a switch later she called, “Signal! Celestia is on the mobile.”

By the time the signal had come up, Mark was already out the hatch and headed to the port flight pod. “Princess, we have a problem.”

Tense seconds of silence filled the speaker. “What is it?”

“We’ve detected an airship crossing over into the Griffon Kingdom that we believe came from Equestria. Based on crew occupants, where they landed, and their current whereabouts, we’ve come to the conclusion that this is a group of rogue ponies led by Shining Armor.”

“What is he…” She trailed off. “Nevermind. I know exactly what he is doing. It does explain why he did not receive my summons this afternoon. What is his current status?”

“Last that I was informed, they still haven’t been detected. There has been an exchange of magic, though Cadet Silver Star has assured me that the blasts were not fatal in nature. But, the problem is their way out is on its way to being compromised. Their airship is about to be discovered by a patrol. We’re on our way down with a Cobra and Hopper to arrange an alternate pickup.”

“Hurry down and get them out,” Celestia said with obvious concern. “If they’re found out, I don’t think there will be any salvaging of this situation.”

“I agree. There also might be the problem of hostile Griffons. Should the need arise... “ Mark hesitated. “Permission to engage, weapons-free?”

A full ten seconds passed before Mark heard a reply. “No. Absolutely not. You are not to engage any Griffons.”

“With all due respect ma’am,” Mark said as he slid down the access ladder, “if the need arises, I will refer to Rule of Engagement number one: ‘It’s you against them. Make sure you come out on top.’”


00:42, local time
Griffon Kingdom, undisclosed location holding Cadance

“Clear!” one of Shining’s unicorns loudly whispered to the rest of his squad. The building they were in was only two stories tall, much to Shining’s relief. The door that separated him from the love of his life stood only a few meters away, another one of the unicorns working on the lock.

I can’t believe she said “No” to this, Shining thought as he impatiently paced while the lock was being picked. Everything’s gone to plan. The latch on the door gave way with a clank, and swung open to reveal the dark living quarters. The bed took much of the floorspace, hardly leaving any room for but a single pony. Shining saw Cadance’s sleeping form on the bed, which stirred to the sudden inflow of light.

Her purple eyes opened slowly at first, then shot wide after she recognized her husband. “You’re late.”

“Had to stop for snacks on the way.” Shining smiled as Cadance lowered her horn to show the magic inhibitor. He took a hoof to slide the ring off, throwing it to the ground. “C’mon, let’s get out-”

A pounding from the main door below cut him off. “Hey, you two. Open up,” called a voice they did not know. Three more poundings on the door. “Are you asleep in there? I said open up!”

“Oh no,” one of the unicorn’s in the group sighed. “There goes our exit strategy.”

“We’ll just have to improvise,” Shining said as he moved to the window. “We can probably get out here, over the wall, and --” His idea was cut off as the door below burst from its frame.

“Alright you two, up and at ‘em!” The unidentified guard shouted to the unconscious Griffons. “I swear, you two must be fresh from the…” His words stopped, and Shining held his breath, hoping the guard he stationed downstairs had found a place to hide.

“INTRUD-” the Griffon screamed before being hit with a stun beam. Mere seconds passed before a bell began to chime outside, a flurry of shouted orders following.

“Well, that answers that,” Shining hissed to himself. “We have to move now!”

“Can’t go out the way we came in,” the guard from below said as he entered the room. “Their mobilizing a team right outside.”

Both Cadance and Shining turned toward the small barred window. Cadance flared her wings, pushing the party back, and charged her horn. With a flash of brilliant blue light, where once stood a wall and a window was now a hole overlooking the small gap between the building and fortification barrier.

“Whoa,” Shining said in amazement. “Where’d that come from?”

Cadance gave a slightly sadistic grin. “Call it pent-up aggression.” She lept from the newly-created perch, flaring her wings once again and taking flight. The five other unicorns lept from the sounds of thundering footsteps coming up the stairwell, ducking and rolling as they hit the ground before sprinting to their waiting ship.


19:45 hours, Canterlot Standard Time
Caprica

“Whoa!” Steel Hoof exclaimed from his station.

“What is it, cadet?” Since Mark’s departure from the bridge, Spitfire had been pacing around the charting display seemingly non-stop. Her legs were grateful for the interruption.

“Thermals just lit up all over the place, both in the compound and at the shore! Steel Hoof to Shocker.”

“Shocker here. Go ahead, cadet,” both he and Spitfire heard the call back.

“Rescue party’s position has been compromised, but they have the package, and are proceeding back to the extraction point.”

“Solid copy,” Mark replied. “What’s the status of our friends on the coast?”

“Well…” The cadet paused. “They made better time than what I originally calculated. The thermal scans are glowing at the EP, non-stop.”

They heard a sigh. “Okay, they found the boat, ID-ed it as Equestrian, and set it on fire. How nice of them to light the way for us.”

“They’ve also launched an airship of their own. The rescue group has the jump on them, but once they reach the coast--”

“I got it, cadet. I’ll handle it from here. Spits, move the ship back down into a two hundred kilometer orbit. She’s fulfilled her purpose where she is now. Shocker, out.” The headset gave a click as it ceased transmission.

Spitfire stared into space, lost in thought. What did he mean by that? “Conn,” she finally called out, “resume standard orbit of two hundred kilometers.”

“What’s going on, cap’n?” Wind Burst asked as he stepped back onto the bridge.

Spitfire inhaled deeply. “We might be going home soon.”


00:50 hours, local time
One-half mile away from EP

This is still savable, Shining thought as they were quickly approaching the coast. All we have to do is get on the ship, shove off, and fight off the Griffons for the entirety of the trip. He looked over his shoulder to see their pursuers were still nowhere in sight when the first scent of smoke filled his nostrils. Shining’s head whipped back around to see the faint glow of orange over the hill, and upon cresting over it, saw the burning wreckage of their escape.

“Oh no…” he muttered. “Cadance! Go! Go as far as your wings will take you!” His muzzle pointed to the sky to find his wife, only to be buzzed by a brown blur. He spotted the flash of Cadance’s magic and followed it, to see her being restrained by three Griffons.

One of the other unicorns trotted up to Shining in a heavy pant. “Not… over… yet…”

“Not yet, lieutenant.” Shining saw an incoming Griffon as he imbued his own horn, blasting it with another stunning ray. “Time to fight!”

The other unicorn began to charge his own horn, but the deep blue hue of his magic dissipated as quickly as it appeared. “Can’t… focus… enough… to--” His words were replaced by screams that made Shining jump and look, seeing the arrow that had embedded itself in the hindquarter of the unicorn. Shining responded by sending a skyward flurry of beams in all directions, but to no avail, as a Griffon came in from his left, tackling him to the ground.

He was about to fire another stunning beam when he felt the magic in his horn surge back into his head, leaving him in enough pain to cause him to collapse. The last thing he saw before blacking out was inhibitors going on his rescue party and his wife.


19:51 hours, Canterlot Standard Time
160 kilometers above the surface

Caprica to Shocker,” Mark heard in his ear. “Party and package have been captured. I repeat, party and package have been captured.”

He didn’t reply. The only response he gave was to flip the “Master Arm” switch up.


01:02 hours, local time
Western Griffon Kingdom shore

Shining awoke to a jabbing pain on his chin. “Wake up!”

His groggy and now water-filled eyes opened slowly, revealing a line of Grayclaws standing behind his seated party, notched arrows in their bows, the airship not too far behind. He lifted himself off the ground and turned to find Cadance to his left. They met eyes, and Shining hung his head. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, my love.” She placed a hoof on his shoulder. “They wouldn’t dare harm two heads-of-state.”

“Yes, yes.” A Griffon stepped forward, wearing a gray jacket with several adornments. “The prince risking his life to save his princess!” He wiped a fake tear from his eye. “Oh, it’s so romantic I can hardly stand it!” He and his fellow Griffons erupted in laughter. “This just keeps getting better and better for us. High General Neadle will be pleased.”

“Your king will not stand for this injustice!” Cadance sternly began. “You have no right to hold any of us!”

“And what, you little pink excuse for a princess, makes you think that the king is still in control?” Cadance’s jaw fell open as she processed the revelation. “The royal family was disposed of weeks ago. High General Neadle is now in full control.”

“You won’t get away with this!” Shining declared.

“Oh, I think we will,” the Griffon turned his back to the group, “especially when the High General declares war after this intrusion. You killed two Griffons, you know.”

“What?” was all Shining could say. The group look about each other, with confused expressions. “That’s a lie, and you know it!”

“Oh, I know.” The Griffon turned about. “But dead ponies tell no lies… or truths in this matter.”

Shining’s eyes widened in horror as the words sunk in. The Griffons standing behind the remaining ponies made their way through the lines, now standing only a few meters away from them. They raised their bows at their targets and Shining looked away, but a claw made his head snap back around and held it in place.

“Oh, and look at that…” the Griffon officer went on. “Two shooting stars. We must be doing the will of the gods. And… a third!” He squinted. “Wait… can shooting stars turn?” His own eyes opened wide. “What the--”


20:03 hours, Canterlot Standard Time
Western Griffon Kingdom shore

The launched missile found its designated target, embedding itself before detonating its warhead. The fiery aftermath of the explosion and shockwave turned standing Griffons over, giving the captured ponies precious seconds to jump up and start running.

Mark gave the area a pass before banking, looping around and finding a more level piece of earth before switching ordnance and firing again. A second later the projectile buried itself shallowly into the ground before the nozzle popped off, exposing a bright green flare and smoke.

“We’ve got them by surprise,” Mark said into his headset. “Star Beam, land and collect the package before they can recover. I’ll keep you covered.”

“Aye, aye, captain!” Star Beam acknowledged before beginning his final descent. The wreckage of the airship collapsed in a ball of flame bright enough to illuminate the hillside. Mark rolled to observe the ground, and saw six ponies making their way to the green marker, much to his relief. He turned his attention to the Griffons still on the ground, as they slowly began to regain their footing.

“Ten seconds to touchdown,” Mark heard in his ear. His fighter swung out again, curling back toward the chaos and leveled. “I’m down!” Star Beam called out. “Boarding now!” Mark’s crosshairs aimed at the ground between the ponies and Griffons, and fired its kinetic ordnance. The explosive rounds detonated in a line between the groups, causing the Griffons to cower back.


Down on the ground

The hissing of the bay door opening caused the rescue group to jump back before looking in awe at the pony that emerged from it. “So I hear you need a ride!” Star Beam yelled above the noise of the burning wreckage and Mark’s firing. “Well, don’t just stand there! All aboard!” The ponies didn’t waste another second before jumping on board the Hopper.

Shining Armor was the last on, carrying the unicorn with an arrow still in his hindquarter on his back. “Your timing could not have been better, lieutenant,” Shining said as the door sealed shut.

“It’s cadet now, sir… with all due respect.” Star Beam corrected as he put on his headset again. “Shocker, package is secure.” A second passed as the pilot nodded. “Aye, sir. We’re on our way up.” An arrow hit the front glass of the Hopper, bouncing harmlessly off. “Hang on!” The party jolted from the sudden movement of the craft, most falling over. “There’s a first aid kit on the wall behind you!”

Cadance spun and reached out to the white-with-a-red-cross case, fumbling a bit as she had to open it with her hooves. “Can you get this stupid thing off me?” She angrily asked Shining. He swept a hoof down, giving the inhibitor ring a flick. It gave a dull metallic clank as it found the bulkhead, then began to spark as it tried to inhibit the workings of the Hopper. With her magic free, she immediately began attending to the wounded soldier.

Shining proceeded to remove the inhibitors from the rest of his party. When another soldier removed Shining’s own and joined it with the five others on the deck, the craft shook, and the party watched the electrical equipment flicker.

“Tango, tango, tango! Captain, I’ve got electrical failures happenin’ all over the board! We’re losing altitude!” Star flung his head around. “What in Tartarus did you all do back there?”

“Don’t look at us!” Shining quickly yelled back over the sound of several alarms. “We just took our inhibitors off!”

Star pointed his snout down to where the inhibitors laid. They were glowing an electric blue, shooting out arcs of magic throughout the cabin. That’s all the convincing it took for Star to turn back around and hit the cabin door open. “Get them off my boat!”

Shining gave Star a furious glare. “Mind your tone, cadet! You may be a part of this experiment Celestia put together, but I’m still your superior officer!”

The hydraulic mechanisms for the hatch locked into place as Star once again stood from his seat. “Rule of Engagement number seventeen!” he yelled as he collected the inhibitors in a hoof, “My ship, my rules!” Star threw them into the night, as a stray arrow glanced off the open hatch. Poking his head out revealed several Griffons were flying to meet them. “We’re leaving,” Star said as he moved back to the helm.

“It’s about time,” Cadance muttered as she wrapped a bandage around the arrow shaft.

“Cancel emergency, Shocker. Everything is A-OK.” Star Beam engaged the main thrusters. “Next stop: Canterlot!”


Post-Equus arrival, day 117
20:35, Canterlot Standard Time
Just outside Canterlot

The half-hour flight from the Griffon Kingdom had mainly been silent in the Hopper, except for the occasional sighs of relief and moaning from the wounded pony. Mark had sent word ahead to Canterlot that they were incoming with injures, and a medical team was waiting by the landing zone just outside the city, as was Princess Celestia.

Mark landed his Cobra beside the Hopper, and slid down in time to see the hurt unicorn being whisked away on a stretcher. He came around the Hopper to see the remaining group gathered before the Princess. “We will discuss this in the morning,” she said with a hint of anger Mark had never known her to have. Celestia said nothing else, and took off back to her balcony.

“Well,” Mark said to nopony in particular, “that could have gone better.”