• Published 24th Jun 2014
  • 1,869 Views, 81 Comments

Legend of Spyro: Equestria's Legacy - Canicus Palentine



High fantasy adventure, a kingdom lost to trickery and strife, two races driven from their homes, who will rise to take back the Dragon homeland? Well, there's one who can certainly try, his name is Spyro

  • ...
7
 81
 1,869

Chapter 1: Dragonsdale

Our tale begins in the secluded valley of Dragonsdale in the land of Equestria, located a couple of clicks northeast from Canterlot, where hiding in a wild thicket there was a Griffin and just a few clicks above him in a pine tree, a golden dragonfly, both very quiet and still, as though hiding from something.
The Griffins chest heaved gently up and down as he took very small breaths, trying his best to avoid being heard by the creature that stalked them. The dragonfly on the other hand scanned the ground below. Unlike his more bestial kin, this Dragonfly was intelligent and perceptive, his unique eyes able to see in many directions at once, though at the cost of full colour vision and definition. Yet he also had very acute hearing, able to pick up everything from the subtlest movement of mice in the bushes to the quiet yet slightly heavy creature now moving towards them.
Its shadow cast an image of a horned devil, with wide spiked shoulders, a thin serpentine head and a long slender body.

The Dragonfly alerted his companion with a soft buzz of his wings, the Griffon looked up and the Dragonfly twitched its antennae. The Griffon nodded in recognition and slowly made his way to the other end of the thicket, as the creature started to make its way towards where he had been hiding. The shadow of the trees in the summer evening blocked the view of the creature, shrouding it in pale shadow, leaving only its dark blue eyes visible as it scanned the area for any sign of its prey.

Suddenly the snap of a twig from ahead of the beast caught its attention, its head whipping towards the source. There, barely concealed behind two stones sat a human boy, bearly in his mid teens.

The creature saw the human hadn't moved, so it started making its way slowly towards him, its body low to the ground, its eyes focussing on its prey, who seemed unaware of its presence, seemingly resting against the rock as if sleeping.
The creature came steadily closer, and began to gently unfurl a set of leather wings at it prepared to jump upon its chosen target.

When it deemed itself close enough it crouched, its claws digging deep into the earth, steadying it ready for the final pounce. The boy still didn't move, this was too easy!

It prepared to jump, then it started to launch itself into the air.....
when a loud eagle shriek combined with a lions roar sounded behind him, sending the startled bright purple dragon flying straight up into a waiting tree branch, where his horns stuck fast, leaving him struggling to heave himself free.

All three observers broke out into fits of laughter, once held for goodness knows how long and now bursting like water through a dam, the Dragonfly flying up to the now frowning dragon hanging with his forelegs folded across his chest and a mock expression of humour spread across his features.

"HAHAHAHA! You should have seen your face Spyro! "

"Well my lord, ha he cough, maybe this should teach you the value of observing your surroundings before making a move" the Griffon added after he took several breaths from laughing.

"How did you find out?" Spyro asked, amazed his plan was discovered so quickly.

"Oh it was more difficult then you think" the boy said, stepping out from behind the rocks with a cocky smile on his plain face.

"You hid your intentions well, I congratulate you for fooling us for as long as you did, but you left a vital clue to your little scheme in the library. Your entire plan drawn on scrap paper, left out in the library, along with a piece of torn cloth from your saddle pack. You should have got that pouch repaired ages ago."

"Damn!" cursed Spyro, "So THAT'S where I lost it."

"Furthermore you should know better than to draw out a plan if you intend it being a secret" continued the boy, "still I must admit, if wasn't for you loosing it, your plan might have worked."

"And I would have got you back for messing up my flying practice session last week Remus" said Spyro, "I was picking sand out my scales for days!"

"We had intended to just repay the favour, but that branch is a great added bonus!" Sparx continued to laugh hysterically, the Griffon looking at him with a face that screamed 'you brought this on yourself you know!' and Remus leaning on one of the rocks with that same amused smirk across his face.

"Better luck next time milord" said Remus.

"Oh but my friends, you haven't got me trapped yet!" said Spyro his voice sly and his eyes now narrowing dangerously thin. "Forget what creature you're up against?"

Then using his all his strength he swung himself upwards, the twisting force snapping the branch clean off, then for good measure Spyro somersaulted through the air, using his wings to support him, then using his back legs he kicked the remnants of the branch off his horns, then let loose a small concentrated ball of flame, that proceeded to explode on contact with the branch, the visual spectacle rivaling the fireworks of many a unicorn Mage.

Then Spyro plumeted swiftly towards the Griffon, who immediately took flight, Sparx following suit, screaming in mock terror, Remus
laughing as he too fled into the forest.
Spyro pulled up quickly from the ground, and immediately gave chase to the Griffon, who flew up past the canopy and turned sharply left, heading north towards the Dracywlen mountains and the breathtaking Neighagra falls.
Spyro followed, flapping his wings as hard as he could, eager to catch that cocky Griffon and show him why 'he' was a member of the Draig nobility.

Bursting through the canopy, Spyro quickly scanned the valley, catching sight of the Griffon, now fleeing at great speed towards the mountains. Spyro gave a another sly grin as he gave chase.

He flapped his wings hard and fast, his speed increasing expediently with each passing second, his eyes focused intently on his target. Within seconds he was right behind the Griffon, ready to tackle him out of the sky, when the Griffon suddenly pulled up and circled over Spyro, his speed sending him straight past where the Griffon had been, straight towards a waterfall.

Spyro instinctively turned left, his wings barely skimming the water as he circled around, his eyes quickly scanning the sky and ground before locating his quarry flying down the falls towards the ground.

Nice trick Ratchet thought Spyro, but your Praetor training won't aid you this time. He then folded his wings tight against his body, allowing himself to shoot down like an arrow towards the ground.
Cold wet air and spray assaulted him as he sped downwards, his eyes still following the brown spec that was Ratchet, who pulled up near the bottom and headed left towards the forest.
Spyro followed suit but kept Ratchet below him, slowly making his way down from above, like an Eagle hunting a pigeon, quite ironic it was now the Eagle who was being hunted.

Spyro kept his eyes on Ratchet, as the Griffon maneuvered through the trees below, zig-zaging in and out of sight as the trees began to grow thicker. He would have to get in closer now, or else he would lose him.

Again Spyro folded his wings against his body and shot straight down for 5 seconds before pulling up again 100 yards above the canopy, close enough to see where Ratchet was going, but far enough so the canopy didn't block his vision entirely.

-----------------------------------------

Meanwhile Ratchet was continuing to bob and weave through the trees, fully aware of the Dragon above him, but unfazed. If there's two things Griffons can do better then Dragons, its flexibility and stamina. He just has to keep Spyro flying fast, wasting his energy, then Ratchet would be home free. He was taught that by the Griffon Praetorian guard, "find your enemies weakness and exploit it" was one of the first lessons he was taught, the second being "if your opponent seems to have no clear weakness, then use their strength against them", both being put into effect right here.

-----------------------------

But Spyro had more patience than Ratchet counted on. He knew this trick, and wasn't going to waste his energy again on a massive burst of speed. He would wait until Ratchet made a slip up, then pounce, for now, he was just following him. Good excuse for a gentle glide anyway.

Suddenly a crossbow bolt appeared from nowhere, barely skimming Spyro's shoulder, sending him flailing to the ground in shock, just in time to see another pierce Ratchets back leg, bringing him down as well.

--------------------------------

Ratchet screamed in pain as he went down, the momentum and speed of his decent gouging out the earth as he came to a sudden stop infront of a pair of hard leather boots. Looking up he saw a frightening sight, a human in rusty maile armour, wielding a heavy black crossbow, upon his head a visored helm, plain and black and on his chest a tabbard bearing the coat of arms of a Dragon skull being impaled by a golden sword.

Spyro meanwhile had recovered from his initial shock just in time to dodge 2 more bolts whizzing out of the trees. Looking around frantically for the source of the missiles he quickly spotted an armoured thug concealed within the confines of an oak tree, and further to the right another in a fir, and another next to him.

Who are these men? No matter thought Spyro, they've attacked me and wounded Ratchet, and they'll pay for it!. Spyro then proceeded to charge the nearest thug whilst he was re-loading, dodging bolts shot from his mates in the nearby trees.
Lowering his horns and folding his wings he dive-bombed the man, knocking him straight from the tree to the ground below.
The man cried out in pain as he hit the ground, the fall fracturing his right arm and temporarily paralyzing his legs. Spyro bore down on top of him, fire burning in his eyes, teeth bared and claws out, only to receive a blunt blow from a stick to the left side of his body, sending him flying into a tree.

Quickly regaining his bearings he saw multiple masked men rushing towards him with thick wooden clubs and wielding medium sized, circular leather coated shields. Thinking fast, he breathed in deeply, then let loose a string of fire. In response the men raised their shields, brushing of the flames as with it was nothing. Great! thought Spyro, I forgot leather is a fire-proof material! But even so, how did they resist the heat?

Falling back on his melee skills, Spyro charged the nearest soldier, then dropped low to ground and slid between his legs, then again using his wings he quickly brought himself around and just as the soldier turned to face him and whacked his face with his tail. The man staggered from the force of the blow, allowing Spyro to grab him by the back, sink his claws in deep, and using his Draconic strength to fling him towards his companions, two getting out of the way in time, one receiving the full force of his companion right in his chest, dropping them both.

The rest of the band started to circle Spyro, attempting to pin him in, so Spyro again launched himself into the air, only to be met by a fresh volley of crossbow bolts, one of which skimmed his shoulder.
These guys are good. I'll just have to fight on the ground then. Settling back on the ground he quickly looked at his assailants formation. For the most part it was professional, little to no visible weaknesses in the formation, and archers in the trees, then he looked down on one of the fallen and noted his shield.
If there's no gap, make one!
He then picked up the shield with his mouth and tossed it at one of the soldiers, who dodged out of the way, leaving Spyro the window he needed to escape. He charged straight through the gap, as bolts rained down around him and the enemy rushed to cut him off.

Then Spyro ran towards the nearest hilltop, gain the advantage of high ground, make use of his wings without the archers.....

"Hold Draig!"

A thick gravelly accent sounded to his right, prompting him to instinctively turn his head towards the source, and the sight he beheld stopped him in his tracks. Remus, Sparx and Ratchet were all held captive, Sparx sealed in a glass lamp, and Ratchet and Remus held by two men who held daggers to their throats, a third, presumably the leader judging by his black cloak and crested helm, standing with his arms folded facing Spyro.

"Stand down Draig, or your friends die."

Spyro was frozen in place with both fear and anger. He could hear the sounds to the other soldiers quickly gaining on him, surrounding him.

Then suddenly he felt the hard blow of a club of the back of his head, and everything went dark, and silent.

--------------------------------

When he came to, Spyro found himself tied up in moist, dark, moss filled cave, and gaurded by two armoured thugs, and right next to him, battered dirty where Ratchet and Remus, both of them in manacles, and Ratchets wings tied to his side. At first Spyro wondered where Sparx was, until he caught sight of a guard carrying a glowing lantern, out of which there came a continuous string of cursing, insults to his mother and various other colourful words that would be too touchy to print.

"You alright Spyro?" whispered Remus, "It looks like they hurt you bad".

"Arrgh, heh..... not as bad as it seems, I'm a dragon remember? Toughest skin around. Those must have been really powerful clubs to hurt the way they did though" he groaned, lamenting the fact he couldn't rub the still sore spot on the back of his neck.
"I'm more concerned about you three though. Ratchet, your leg...."

"Yes...argh...it still smarts, though our captives were kind enough to remove the bolt and clean the wound. Don't understand why, but there you go. Must be more valuable alive".

"Who are they?" asked Remus.

"My best guess, bandits or slavers" replied Ratchet. "Unlike the citizens of Equestria, we Griffons come into contact with some unsavoury characters all the time from the Eastern lands, some made up of humans, others made up of, tragically, our own kin. Though I've never seen a band this organised before....."

"Hey! Silence back there!" shouted one of the guards, a bulky well muscled guard with a porky face, who proceeded to throw a stone at Ratchet, hitting him in the belly, causing him to groan in pain. "You don't speak unless ordered to, understand?!"

The trio glared at back him menacingly in reply, prompting him to walk threateningly towards them.

"Drake!" came a call from another guard sitting by what looked like a newly lit fire, "Ignore them, the Captain wants them alive and unspoiled."

"Screw his orders Tom, he ain't here to dictate how I treat scum like this! Besides, I owe my allegience to cash. No-one, not even the 'Shadow Lord' can change my mind on that issue."

"You'll be eating those words raw if he catches wind of this! You know what he's capable of, who he answers too."

"Heh, you're only repeating what he's told us. I don't think he can do half of what he claims, its all just an act to keep us gullible fools in check".

"I'm not repeating. I've seen what he can do. Wonder what happened to Bron last week? He expressed doubts about the mission, about our purpose, next day he's found with a hole burnt in his chest!"

"A fire arrow, or a torch, nothing more. Magic users don't exist among men".

"Really? Then how do you explain...."

"Hey!" came another shout from the lamp, "can't you guys stop arguing? It's getting irritating for everybody!"

"I thought I told ya to shut up!" Drake yelled at Sparx.

"Good luck with that pig face!" Sparx replied, "I'm an Insect! no matter how much you try to silence us, me and my kin will continue to plague your lives with our annoying presence!"

"Sparx, what are you doing?" yelled Spyro, "you'll be killed!"

"What, pork chop here? HA! He couldn't take a dung beetle, let alone a Dragonfly, come on fat-so! Show ol' Sparx what you're made of!"

Duke made up his mind then and there. Screw orders, this insect needs to be squashed. He took up a nearby hammer and picked up the lamp, setting it on a nearby slab of rock.

"Duke STOP!" cried Tom, rushing towards the big man, only to be met by a hard punch to the face from one of Dukes massive fists, dropping him unconsious. "He said keep the Draig alive. Nothing about his friends."

As Spyro looked on Duke raised his hammer high in the air, ready to bring it down. Time seemed to stop, as Spyro's fear and anger came bubbling up again, stronger than ever. This cannot happen, it. will. not. happen!
At that instant, he felt a strange, burning surge through his body, his thoughts became instinctive, his senses heightened and his will an all powerful spear.

To Spyro he could remember nothing from that point, but to the bewildered guard and prisoners, Spyro's eyes suddenly blazed bright purple, and the gaps in his scales flared with a dark blue haze, and his muscles grew taunt, pulling at the chains holding him down, his wings pushing against the ropes that bound them to his back, and was actually starting to break them.

Drake was the first to come out of his stupor, picking up a nearby axe and rushing Spyro shouting "Prisoners escaping! Prisoners...!" before being thrown back by a blast of fiery blue energy, straight into Tom, who'd just recovered from Drakes fist, throwing them both into the far wall, both falling unconscious.

Spyro then proceeded to break his chains, and that of his companions, who still looked at him in awe and fear.

Remus was the first to speak "Th-th-thank you, Lord Spyro."

"That. Was. AMAZING" Yelled Sparx, "I know your dad said you were nearly ready but....oh...Bug...."

"What do you mean Sparx?" Ratchet said, now suspicious.

"Err, look, I'll tell you all when we get out of here. Now's not the time for explanations."

Outside the hallway came the faint sounds of clinking maile and muffled shouting. Their captives knew they were free.

"Quick Remus" said Ratchet, "grab a weapon, we'll need everyone's abilities if we're to make it alive, and....."
he looked curiously at Spyro, who was still glowing blue, and now moving towards the west wall.

"Spyro, what are you doing?" asked Remus.

"Just watch and see" replied Sparx, earning him another curious look from Ratchet.

Spyro reached out with his right foreleg and drew with his claw a circle on the wall, which emanated the same blue light as his body. Once the circle was complete, he whispered 4 words that were barley audible, "Ddaear yn symud mi.
At this command, for it indeed sounded like a command, the earth began to shake, pulling itself apart, creating a wide tunnel through the rock, straight out into sunlight.
Immediatly after performing this amazing task, leaving 3 stunned friends paralyzed with awe, the lights around Spyro's body slowly faded, and Spyro himself collapsed into unconsciousness.

The sounds of the approaching soldiers suddenly became much clearer, snapping the friends out of their trances.
"Looks like I have quite a job to do", said Ratchet as he picked up Spyro and eased him onto his back. "Remus. I'll have difficulty carrying you and Spyro but the fastest way out is to fly, so hold my talons tight!" He then flapped his wings and hovered above Remus.

"But won't that be too much? We'll fall!"

"I'm not leaving anyone behind Remus! And I'm a Griffon, I've born heavier weight than this, now take my Damn talons!" At this Remus grabbed hold of Ratchets outstretched talons. Then they flew out the tunnel, out of the mountain, and over the forest. Ratchet beat his wings as hard as he could, his muscles straining with every effort, but they remained airborne, and were soon out of reach of their enemies.

Back at the cave, the Captain gazed stoically at the hole in the wall, deep in thought. This was an unexpected complication. It looks like the Draig are starting to heal. He had no doubt his employer would be angry at this news, but maybe an opportunity could arise from this mishap.

"My Lord!" said his lieutenant, "should we pursue them?"

"Don't be foolish" the Captain replied, "they'll be far away from the borders of the forest by now, even with the extra weight the Griffon was carrying."

"Then what are your orders?"

"Abandon the cave, leave no sign we were here, no tracks or scent to follow. I think it's time to call up some old favours."

-------------------------------------

The three escapees landed far from the forest, eager to put as much distance as possible from their ex-kidnappers. Ratchet set Remus down then gave up and collapsed in an exhausted heap. Breathing heavily, he looked over to Sparx, who had now settled on a nearby rock in a small pond.

"Now.....Dragonfly, tell me what in the Tribunals name happened back there?!"

Author's Note:

So here it is, Chapter 1. Hope its as good as the prologue. Again critique me on anything you see in this chapter, from grammar errors, although not perceived plot holes, it is an unfinished story after all. And as for the ending, well got to have some cliffhangers, how else am I going to bring you back?

Ddaear yn symud mi is taken from Welsh meaning "Earth bend to my will."

Tribunal is a reference to Celestia, Luna and Twilight as the Princesses of Day, Night and Dusk. Cadence is a ruler of an Empire, not a time of day, though she gets her own title as the 'Empress'.