• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,666 Views, 29 Comments

The Day that Life Spiked my Punch - rathgood



Throw 1 late 20's help desk manager together with a tweenage dragon turned human. Shake till mixed

  • ...
1
 29
 1,666

Chapter 2: Exit the Dragon, Enter the Boy

Chapter 2: Exit the Dragon, Enter the Boy

The rest of the night was rather uneventful. He remained quite until we got back into my car. Buckling up, I turned to him, to at least break the slightly eerie silence. I mean he had been so talkative earlier, or well just not this quite.

"You okay there Spike? You've been awfully quite since we got to the hospital"

"Why should I be talkative? This is all going to end the minute I wake up. Besides, you seemed to not believe me when I said, well anything, so what’s the point in saying it again when no ones likely to believe me?"

While I couldn't fault him on the latter point, it was still rather cynical for someone so young. Glancing over at him while at a red light, I noticed he looked to be sulking.

"Look, its not that I don't believe you, its just that you've been saying a lot of.....um...interesting things and I really need to get my head around it. Plus, I don't think you've told me the entire story and really who you are. All I've gotten so far are pieces and parts, so its kind of disjointed."

While they were half truths, I still was curious to hear his whole story, or what amounted to it anyways.

"You really......" Letting out a long and loud yawn, spike continues.."Mean that? I guess I can tell you when we get back to your house."

"No, when we get back its straight to bed. Its late, I'm tired and you seem tired. You can tell me your story over breakfast and while we wait for the agent to show up"

Speaking of which, I never did get a time or a number to use to contact the welfare agents. Stupid stupid stupid......at least they have my cell and home phone. The kid's yawn interrupts my internal monolog.

"I guess, if I still haven't woken up from this by the time I wake up here, I can tell you."

Sighing I just ignore the comment and with that we pull into my driveway. Parking I guide the half asleep child to the guest room; throw some blankets over his sleeping form; lock the doors and go to bed myself. Of course my mind won't let me fall asleep to quickly and its almost 2 am before I finally drift into dream land.

--------------

"Why no I don't mind if your three girlfriends join us in the hot tub. There’s plenty of room for all four of you ladies and myself......What? They don't have swimsuits? That’s fine, they don't need them, its just us anyways.....Ladies, welcome!.....you don't have to crowd around me there’s plenty of roo..."

"I"M STILL HIDEOUS!!!!!!!"

The scream breaking me out of, what was turning out to be a rather nice dream and jarring me back into reality. Stupid stupid reality. I get up and stretch, looking over at the clock on my dresser...

"8 freaking AM? doesn't this kid know the meaning of sleeping in on the weekend?" I say rhetorically to myself

Groaning, I throw on a cleanish set of cloths from my floordrobe and head to the guest room to get the kid to shut up. Opening the cracked door I see Spike sitting on the bed, hyper ventilating slightly and rocking back and forth repeating, over an over again.

"Why won't I wake up? This is just a dream. This isn't real"

All the while, running the blue micro-fleece blanket I had tossed over him back and forth through his hands, like it was some sort of harbor from reality. Clearing my throat to get his attention I finally speak.

"You alright there Spike? I heard a scream and came to see if you were alright."

Completely ignoring me, he continues chanting his little sutra, still oblivious to my presence. Now I have to put up with a lot of oblivious, stammering fools at my day job and I really don't need this on the weekend, so I walk over to the kid, place my hands on his shoulders to stop the rocking and turn him to me. Speaking firmly, but not threateningly (and not blowing a gasket either) I lay out some marching orders.

"Listen Spike. You are awake. This isn't a dream. This is real. Now why don't you stop having a panic attack, go wash up, we'll get some breakfast, and then you can tell me your entire story and maybe, just maybe, we can get this entire mess sorted out. Understood?"

Putting on a look that would hopefully broker no arguments, I wait for his response. Slowly his breathing returns to normal and he stops fidgeting with the blanket. Looking up at me with a confused expression, not unlike one a lost puppy would give, he nods his head and stops rocking. Smiling slightly, I hear his stomach growl.

"Breakfast sounds good. Do you happen to have any gem stones?" He asks quizzically and slightly hopeful.

My eyebrow raises slightly as I think. Gemstones as in Rubies, sapphires, and Emeralds? Or is it some new cereal or one of the million knock-off store brands?

"Um" I pause. "I...don't think I have any Gem Stones, but I do have some Lucky Charms."

Hoping those will work, I head for the kitchen as he heads for the guest bathroom. Before the water turns on in the sink, I swear I hear the sobbing of a boy, who's not quite a man yet. Grabbing the paper, I begin thinking to myself, it was good I watched him for the night. One of those juvenile homes would have ruined him, even in the course of a night. Walking to the kitchen I smell the best part of waking up, a programmable coffee pot. Thankfully I had filled it the night before, most likely out of habit. Pouring myself a cup, I took a swig of the steaming wakeup juice. Now I can deal with things this morning. Rummaging through the cupboard I pull out two bowls, some spoons, and two boxes of cereal. For me its Cheerios, for the kid, some Lucky Charms. I open the fridge, grab the bread and milk, tossing four slices of the former into the toaster. Hearing the door to the bathroom open, I look over my shoulder and see Spike enter the kitchen, he looks more awake and less....shaky now.

"Take a seat at the table, breakfast will be ready shortly. Do you prefer butter, jelly, or peanut butter on your toast?"

Perking up even more, he put his finger to his mouth, thinking a little. he replies.

"Oh! do you have apple jam? A friend of mine makes some really really good apple jam and I kind of really want some."

Shaking my head in a no, he looks a little disheartened.

"Sorry, just got grape and strawberry."

"Grape will be fine then."

His voice showing his disappointment. Turning back to the counter, I pour each cereal into their respective bowl, adding milk to both, and sprinkled sugar on mine. The toast popped and I spread the strawberry jelly onto two piece foe me and the grape on two for Spike. Placing the two bowls and plates of toast onto the table, I grab my coffee and sit down, joining the boy. He greedily devoured the toast and then started on the cereal, with a bit of trepidation. Me, I sip my coffee and slowly eat the toast and cereal. I see him take that first tenuous spoonful of the Lucky Charms and eat it. A smile flirts across my face as I go back to my breakfast and the morning paper. The sound of a spoon rapidly bouncing off the bowl across from me verifies my thought. He seemed to like the cereal. I blame the marshmallows....they're magically addictive. Hearing a slurping sound followed by a contented sigh, I look up to see that he's finished his breakfast. I guess now would be a good time to get his complete story.

"So, with breakfast out of the way, how about you tell me your story. Who you are, who your family is, where you're from, all of that. Maybe once we get all that out in the open, we can go about finding you a way to get home."

"Well, okay. Just don't laugh or say anything till I'm finished got it?"

"Sure, just tell me what you want. I won't say anything till you're finished. You've got my word."

"Then, once upon a time in the magical land of Equestria....."

What follows is a story that seems fantastical. More like a book or TV show meant for young girls. Magical pony princesses; sapient, talking Pegasuses, unicorns, and regular horses; dragons, manticores, and all sorts of mythical beasts out of Greek legend. It was a lot to take in and the way he told it seemed more like he lived it, not read or watched it. It kind of made me want to believe him, but common sense won out for me. As detailed as it was, I couldn't rationalize someone being magical transported and transformed, from another universe and end up in my care. He finishes the story and looks at me for a response.

"Thats quite a story. I'm not sure what to say. Its a lot to take in"

"You don't believe me do you?" The boy responds in a deadpan voice.

"Its not that I don't believe you, I want to, but it goes against a lot of what I know and shifting views is not something that’s easy for anyone. But let me ask you some questions about your family. You said that you were...hatched by someone named Twilight Sparkle right?

"Yeah, female unicorn with a purple coat and dark purple mane, which has a pink stripe in it."

"So, since she raised you, she must be your mother correct? If so she must be very worried about you. Do you have anyway to contact her? A phone number, email, or something else?"

Looking confused near the end he responds.

"What!? Twilight my mom? Nah, she raised me alright, but I see her as a sister. My mom, my dragon mom is out there somewhere....in Equestria. But yeah, she should be worried about me. However, I have no idea what a phone number or email is. Normally, if I need to contact her, I send either owliscious, that’s her pet owl, or have a Pegasus deliver a message for me. Seeing as neither of them are here right now. No, I don't have a way to contact her."

He says the last part with a small portion of sarcasm, which once again belies his apparent age. I continue, making a mental note of his responses. Talking about his past seemed to perk him up and gave me a chance to try and find some way to find his family and get him home (and out of my hair).

"Okay, so your sister, you said works in a library in a small town, near a large apple farm right?"

"Yeah, Ponyville and Sweet Apple Acres. Remember that apple jam I told you about? Its made by Applejack and Granny Smith, that’s her grandmother. Its really good. They also make really really really good apple cider..."

He rambles on about the Apple family and their various apple based goods. He talks of the oldest brother, "Big Mac", the middle sister "Applejack" (AJ for short), the youngest sister "Applebloom", and then the grandmother "Granny Smith". My mind begins to wander as Spike happily rambles on.

"You're not listening anymore are you?"

Broken from my mental wandering, I loop at him sheepishly.

"You got me, yeah my mind kind of wandered there, sorry."

"Don't be, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie have a tendency to wander as well, so I'm used to it."

Shrugging my shoulders I go back to the paper. Flipping back to the front page, having bypassed it for the comics and sports section, my mouth falls open. I mutter the headline under my breath, letting the implications sink in.

"County Child Services Juvenile Home damaged by fire"

"Huh? what was that?" questions Spike.

Ignoring him I read on.....converted hotel....electrical fire....away at Halloween party.....no one injured...two of the six floors damaged...pressed for housing....need volunteer foster homes. Each sentence making my face fall further. Looking up at Spike and back at the article all I can think of is one word......shit....that and calling Barton to see what’s going on. I didn't dislike the kid and he didn't seem malicious, unlike some of those little brats that sneak in to use the computer labs or just wreck them, just confused and lost. Still I don't even trust myself to be responsible for a pet cat, let alone a kid. Setting the paper on the table I stand up, heading to grab my cell phone from beside my bed. Turning back towards the table I address the bored looking tween sitting there.

"I'll be right back, I'm just going to call Sargent Barton and see what the plan is for today. I shouldn't be to long. You said you...live in a library, so if you like reading I've got a book over on the counter" I gesture towards it with my head. " I just finished you can read if you're bored. Its part of a series that I've red a few times."

Getting up, Spike wanders over to where the book was and picks it up, reading the cover and title out loud.

"Orion by Ben Bova? Never heard of him. Heard of a Ben Bovine though, I think Twilight has a bunch of his books in the fiction section at the library."

Shrugging my shoulders I say over my shoulder.

"Just give it a read, I think you'll find it at least an interesting way to pass the time."

I hear the thump of someone sitting down and the turning of a page as I head down the hall. Grabbing my phone I dig out the business card he'd given me last night and dial, what I assume is his work phone. A few rings and there’s an answer.

"Sargent Barton here, how may I help you?"

"Yeah, this is Drew and how about explaining to me the real reason no one could take Spike last night?"

I say it with enough sarcasm to cut the little bit of malice I have over lied to by the guy. A sigh on the other side of the line and the officer speaks.

"So I take it you saw the paper then yes? I'll say this now. I was not lying to you last night, they did have their budget cut and don't normally have late night agents. However, yes, the fire was the reason I couldn't take him to the home myself." Pausing to give me a chance to respond, I don't, he continues. "I was hoping, we all were hoping that the damage wasn't as bad as it seemed at first glance. As you probably can tell from the paper, it was worse than we thought."

"So, where does that leave me and Spike hmm?"

"That is out of my control. However, I can tell you that one of the child services agents should be by around noonish. He or she will then do what they do and, well I don't know what will happen."

"Gee.....thanks for the information."

"Now don't be so snarky. Originally they weren't going to be able to come till Monday. I managed to convince them to send someone today."

"Well, thanks for that."

"No problem. I've got to go now, shift change is happening in a bit and I'm needed. Please give me a call if you find anything from Spike that might help us track down his family. Bye"

"Yeah, bye"

Hanging up I let out a long sigh. Only a few more hours till the agent shows up, but it still feels like an eternity. Guess I can kill the time with some television. Heading back to the kitchen to check on Spike I see that he is now deeply engrossed in the book.

"I'm gonna be in the other room, come get me or just call for me if you need anything."

An "Uhuh" is all I get from the enthralled youngster. See, I told him it was interesting. Smirking a little I flop onto the couch and turn on the TV, flipping around until I settle on the BBC and Top Gear. Oh, its some episodes I've not seen. Even better. Time passes fast, I even catch myself dozing off a little, that is until the doorbell ringing clears the sleepiness from my head. Looking at my watch I see that its around 12:15, must be that agent.

"I'm coming"

I call to whom ever is at the door. Opening it I see an elderly woman, who very much reminds me of my own grandmother. Shaking her aged hand I welcome her in and offer her seat. Sitting down, she opens a portfolio. She speaks first.

"Thank you deary. You must be Drew Hall. Its a pleasure to meet you Let me introduce myself, my name is Gina Smith and I'm the regional manager for the Child Protection Services. I don't normally make visits like this, but the rest of my staff is busy dealing with the aftermath of that fire last night."

G. Smith? An elderly grandmother like woman named Smith? Didn't Spike mention a Granny Smith? Probably a coincidence, tons of Smiths out there, hell I think my Great Grandfather was a Smith.

"Yeah, I read about it in the paper. Its a good thing no one was in at the time. Small miracles and all that. Now, you're here because of the child I found last night correct?"

I say that trying to not sound eager at all. She pushes her glasses up and reads, what I can only assume is the police report or whatever from last night.

"Dear me yes on both accounts. Shame about the top two floors though. More water damage from the sprinklers than from the fire. Going to be weeks, if not months before its all fixed. That does bring me to the reason for the visit. Where is Young Spike right now?"

"He's in the kitchen reading a book. Need me to get him?"

"No, its better if we talk with out him for the moment. Now, as you can probably guess we don't have any place for him at the moment. The fire has really put us behind an eight ball."

Taking off her glasses and cleaning them with a cloth she sighs and looks at me with those deep grandmotherly eyes.

"That’s why I'd like to ask you something. We are looking for bright, upstanding young people, like yourself, to take in some of these children while we search for a home for them; their own home; and repair the damages. Now, while I don't expect you to take in any of those poor souls displaced by the fire, I would like it if you'd agree to watch over Mr. Spike as his foster guardian while we search for his real family."

I very much want to say no, but why do I feel so guilty thinking about saying that one word? Would it be so hard for me to care for the kid? I mean its not like he's an infant or a toddler, those need lots of attention. He's already mostly grown. Should be easy right? Plus Mrs. Smith sounds like she really needs me to say yes and I think it would be a burden lifted from her shoulders.

"I......I need to think about it some."

Is all I can say. At that moment Spike wanders in, waves at the both of us and speaks.

"Sorry, I didn't know you had company. I'll just head back to the kitchen and wait."

"No no, whatcha need?" I reply

"Um....the first book was really really good and I kind of finished it already...Do you have the sequels?"

"Yeah, they're over on the bookshelf, near the middle. The next book is 'Vengeance of Orion'. Help yourself."

He heads over, grabs the book in question and walks happily back to the kitchen to read it. I turn back to Gina and she has that peaceful, knowing smile only the elderly can have.

"Oh my, you are so good with him. He also seems to be fond of you. In many many years of doing this I can just tell. It would be a real shame to have to find him somewhere else. Such a shame. But you said you need to think about it, so I'll just get the boy and take him to our headquarters. I'll then start the papers to get him placed with one of the already crowded foster homes. Poor dear."

GAH!!! It feels like I was just stabbed through the heart. way to guilt trip me there. Screw it, how hard can it be? It'll make this ladies day and besides, who can say no to such a sweet, little old lady? I don't think of any reasonable person that can. This will also help me stop feeling so damned guilty, like I am letting down the entire freaking child services......with this much sense of basic guilt you'd think I was Catholic. Sighing I finally respond.

"There’s no need. I'll watch him until the hotel, house, whatever is fixed up."

The smile that comes across her face could lighten any heart and I immediately feel like I did the right thing.

"Very very good! I was hoping you'd agree. Now, I'll just need you to sign some temporary papers now and then the full paper work will need to be filled out on Monday. The office opens at 7:30, could you come by before work? We have a program you can even leave Spike in the care of while at work. Its specifically for children like Spike who are not yet attending school. It'll even give him a test to see what grade level he will be placed in"

All I can do is sign the forms and nod my head. Making some notes in the calendar in my phone. Guess I'll have to get up earlier than normal Monday.

"Yeah, I can swing by work doesn't start till 9 anyways."

"That’s great! I'll let you go tell Spike. I can see my way out. See you Monday."

She seemed so happy as I saw her out. Afterwards I went to talk to Spike. All he did was nod and grunt affirmatives every so often. I guess I got a reader on my hands. Thankfully I've got a lot of books. It went like this for the rest of the weekend. Spike spent most of the time reading. Devouring many of the series I had. Rama, Wingman, Goosebumps (don't judge, I collected them as a kid). He read them all. Then Monday came as inexorably as Death (gods I hate Mondays). I got the both of us up, explained to him what was going on. He grabbed a few books from his current series of choice and off we went. The drive was uneventful and we got to the child services office in short order. I dropped Spike off at the program, little explanation needed as they were expecting him. Me, I was escorted to Gina's office to fill out the paperwork.

"Welcome, welcome. Its nice to see you again Drew."

Wow, was she chipper. How could she be so chipper this early? This is why I hate morning people.

"Come in and take a seat. Oh, and have one of these Apple Crisp Muffins, baked fresh this morning."

My stomach grumbling slightly, I sit down and take one of the still warm muffins. Taking a bite, I smile. These are good.

"Now I'll need you to sign here....here..initial here...sign and date here....and initial here. There we go. All signed and dated. We'll mail you the moderate stipend provided for foster parents every month. Speaking of which, I will be doing monthly visits to make sure you are taking good care of Spike and that he's not any trouble to you."

I'm more or less on auto-pilot. I am so not a morning person. This muffin is really good. She shakes my hand.

"Congratulations Mr. Hall, you're now Spike's temporary guardian for the next six months. Now I've taken up enough of your time this beautiful morning."

Stupid morning people.....I wish I was still in bed. Looking down at my watch I see that she's right though, I've got about a half hour till work starts. I should get going. I'm handed a manilla folder with my copies of the paperwork. She also hands me another muffin.

"You seemed to like the first one, so have another and thank you so much for choosing to help out. I'm sure you will find it a most rewarding experience."

Nodding my head and saying my goodbyes, I had back to my car. Taking a bite from the new muffin I find it just as good as the other. I should ask her where she gets them from when she makes her monthly visi.......dropping the muffin, everything suddenly hits me.

"I just did what!?"