• Published 9th Jun 2014
  • 2,345 Views, 39 Comments

Dreams of Loss - KalenNighteyes



Twilight Sparkle is having a recurring nightmare in which Rainbow Dash perishes attempting to save the alicorn's life.

  • ...
6
 39
 2,345

Chapter Two

Rainbow Dash looked at the clock on her wall. 7 A.M. It was unusual for Dash to be up this early but it was for a good reason: in an hour she would be meeting up with her best friend Twilight Sparkle. Rainbow had been giving the alicorn flight lessons and, in her opinion, Twilight was getting better at flying. Of course, this meant that she was close to not needing the lessons anymore. When that thought crossed her mind, the pegasus couldn't help but feel a brief pang of sadness. It wasn't like she would never see Twilight again when the flight lessons were no longer needed, but still...

Rainbow glanced at the clock again. 7:02 A.M. Ugh! Why'd I wake up so early? It's not like I couldn't have just left a few minutes before eight. I still would have gotten there on time. Forget this, I'm going to Twilight's now. I'm bored and I'm sure she's already awake and fiddling around with her books, that silly egghead. And with that, Rainbow walked out her front door, spread her wings, and took flight toward the castle.

* * * * *

Spike sat at a table in the living area of the castle and stared, bored yet mildly stunned, at the six pieces of parchment in front of him. “Twilight, when I said you should write Princess Luna, I meant just a quick note saying that you were having some weird dreams and you were curious whether or not she could help. I wasn't implying a six-page letter.”

Twilight looked at the papers on the table and then to Spike. “Am I going into too much detail? I mean, I guess I could do it your way but then she wouldn't know what the dream was about. I figured it would be better to give her all the details so she'd know how to handle it.”

“Twilight believe me. I'm sure Princess Luna would know how to handle it if you told her in person too,” Spike said. “Besides, the inkwell is empty.”

Twilight sighed and gave the little dragon a frustrated look. “This was a stupid idea. I don't know why I even considered asking Princess Luna for help. It's just a stupid dream.” Twilight aimed her horn at the papers and, in a flash of purple, they vanished.

Spike's jaw dropped. “Really? All that work I did is just gone now? I really wish you'd just talk to somepony, Twilight! You've become a lot more grumpy since you've been losing sleep and frankly I'm getting tired of it.”

Twilight was taken aback. She didn't expect an outburst like that from Spike since he was always so understanding of her when she was upset or angry. The whole situation that she had found herself in just weighed so heavily on her. She was a mixture of anger, frustration, confusion and exhaustion. “I'm sorry Spike. It's like you said, I'm just tired. I didn't mean to take it out on you.”

“Twi, you know that no matter what, I'm here for you. I know you don't mean to direct any of your anger toward me. I'm your friend and I always will be. I'm glad you at least confided in me with what's going on in your dreams and your feelings for Rainbow Dash. I'm trying to help you with this situation but no matter what kind of help I offer, you shoot it down and, to be completely honest, it makes me mad.”

“I know Spike. I'm trying my best to deal with this in a way we can all be happy with, and not have any awkwardness sprout up because I voiced my feelings to Rainbow. I'm really sorry. I hope you can forgive me and just trust that I will get this all sorted out,” Twilight said, giving the dragon a weak smile.

Spike wanted with all his heart to break down and tell her that everything was alright but she needed a reality check. He knew he'd kick himself later for what he was about to do. “Twilight, you know I've been by your side through a lot, and I'm here for you now but today has shown me that you need some time alone to figure things out.”

“What are you saying?” Twilight asked.

“I'm going to Fluttershy's for a few days. Maybe by then you'll have talked to Rainbow or at least Princess Luna, like you said you wanted to do,” Spike said.

“You're leaving me alone here when you know I'm having a rough time with this dream?”

“It's not just a dream you're having a hard time with. You're refusing to accept the fact that this dream does have to do with your feelings for Dash. Maybe some time alone will make you see that and you'll finally talk to her about it. I'm sorry, but I'm doing this, Twilight,” Spike said. His little heart was breaking so hard right now, but he knew it would be for the best.

Twilight fought back tears. “Spike, I'm sorry. I guess if that's what you have to do, then do it. I won't stop you.”

“Bye Twilight. I'll be back in a few days. I promise,” and with that, the purple dragon walked to the door, opened it and ran right into Rainbow Dash's leg.

“Oh! Sorry Spike! Are you okay?” Dash said, helping Spike back to his feet.

“Yeah. I'm fine. See you later,” Spike said abruptly, and disappeared through the door

“What was that about?” Rainbow asked.

“It's nothing. He just wants a change of scenery. He's going to go stay with Fluttershy for a couple days,” Twilight said, turning her back to Rainbow Dash, and wiping away a tear with her hoof.

“Are you okay with that, Twilight? I mean, that little guy has been around you for as long as I've known you. I can't believe you are just okay with seeing him walk out like that,” Dash said.

Twilight tried to continue to hold herself together, but she couldn't. The tears just began to flow. “Oh, Rainbow. I was so mean to him this morning.”

Seeing that she was crying, Dash trotted quickly to Twilight's side and put a hoof on the purple pony's shoulder. “Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to push the issue.”

“No, it's not you, Dash. It's me. I just haven't been sleeping well for the past few weeks,” Twilight said, once again wiping tears off of her face.

Rainbow looked at Twilight for a long moment. She hated seeing her like this, so much that it nearly made the pegasus want to cry, but knew she wouldn't. She was tough and didn't cry in front of anypony. With a smile, Dash put her foreleg around Twilight. “It's alright. Do you want to talk about it? I'm all ears if you do!”

Hearing this made Twilight feel better. She'd never known Dash to want to talk about other people's problems that much which made Twilight feel special. Of course she wanted to tell the rainbow-maned pony everything, but she just couldn't, because she knew Rainbow wouldn't feel the same way. “Thanks for the offer Dashie, but no. It's something I'm just going to have to work through myself.”

“You sure? I'm here for you Twi. Always have been and always will be,” Dash said with a big smile.

Twilight blushed. “I know. Thank you. Really, I'll be okay.”

“Alright then. In that case, you want to go on our flight a little earlier today? A funny thing happened: I actually woke up early! I've been awake since six-thirty this morning,” Dash said, exaggerating the shock in her voice, trying to cheer Twilight up even more.

“You? Up before sunrise? Never thought I'd see the day,” Twilight said.

Dash smiled smugly. “Technically you still haven't seen the day.”

Twilight laughed at that comment. “I guess you're right. It's too bad. You missed a beautiful sunrise this morning,” she said and headed to the front door of the castle.

“Well, maybe if I wake up early again tomorrow, I'll come over and we can check out that sunrise together. I mean, what are friends for right?” Dash said, following her..

Twilight forced a laugh. “Yeah! Friends! Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.”

“Awesome! When do you want to do it? Tomorrow? I don't mind getting up early if it's for you!” Dash said, immediately regretting the way she worded that sentence.

Twilight raised an eyebrow at the pegasus. “What do you mean?”

“I don't know... I just mean that I like hanging out with you. I like going on our flights. They're fun!” Rainbow said, trying to be more tactful with her words. To avoid any more misunderstandings, Dash spread her wings and shot up into the air. “Come on Twilight! The last one to Sugar Cube Corner buys the cupcakes!”

Twilight's smiled returned and she looked up at Rainbow Dash with a sly look. “Oh, you're on!” With that, Twilight spread her wings, flew up to Rainbow and together they took off towards Sugar Cube Corner.

As they flew, Twilight began to feel weak, like her wings just didn't want to keep her in the air. She didn't like the feeling. It felt wrong. She wasn't sure what was doing it, as she'd been fine flying, even with her lack of sleep. “Hey Rainbow, mind if we slow down a little? I'm not feeling so good,” Twilight called.

Rainbow Dash looked back at Twilight and could tell something was wrong, because Twilight had begun looking pale. “Uh, it'd probably be better if we landed,” Dash suggested.

“No, I'm fine to keep flying. I just... need to slow down is all,” Twilight insisted, but even as she said this, she could feel herself growing weaker by the second. Try as she might, she just didn't have the strength to continue flying. “Rainbow...” she managed to say before finally passing out.

Rainbow turned around just in time to see Twilight start falling toward the ground. The pegasus gasped and followed, trying desperately to grab a hold of her friend. Come on Rainbow Dash! You can get her. You're the fastest flier around. If you don't reach her, Twilight might not survive hitting the ground. A tear fell from Rainbow's eye, but she quickly wiped it away. Wherever that thought came from, it gave her the speed boost she was looking for.

In awesome fashion, as only she could do, Rainbow Dash caught her. “Gotcha!” she shouted triumphantly and landed. “That was a close one, Twilight! Next time I suggest we land, let's do it.” Rainbow chuckled. There was no response from the purple pony that she was holding in her forelegs.

“Twilight?” Dash asked, looking down at her. Still nothing.

“Rainbow! Are you two alright? I saw you flying over, then I saw Twilight fall!” came Rarity's voice.

The cyan pony held her tears back expertly as Rarity came into view. “I don't know what's wrong with her. One minute we were racing to Sugar Cube Corner and the next she was falling. Now she won't wake up!”

Rarity looked at Twilight and noticed she was still breathing. “Well, she seems to have passed out is all. We should probably get her to a doctor.”

“Right! I'm on it!” Rainbow said, spreading her wings and flying off toward the Ponyville Hospital. Hang in there Twilight... I'll get you there. You can trust me.

Author's Note:

Chapter Three will not take as long to post. It's being written as we speak. Thanks for reading :)