• Published 3rd Jun 2014
  • 856 Views, 20 Comments

Shard: Settling In - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Fluttershy, Twilight and Luna start to get settled in Ponyville while the others start to settle in to new responsibilities

  • ...
2
 20
 856

Realization

Trixie was in a state of bliss. It felt so wonderful: the feel of their soft lips pressing together,a hint of Twilight's scent reaching Trixie's nose, the warmth of their bodies pressed together. It felt magical.

Trixie was kissing Twilight Sparkle.

Trixie was kissing Twilight Sparkle!

...on her first day at a new job...

...in front of a bunch of ponies Trixie did not know...

...against Twilight's will!

Oh dear Temporal! Trixie thought. She broke the kiss, pushing Twilight away as her magic faded. Trixie's eyes went wide as she looked around, seeing the other five mares staring at her and Twilight in shock (Luna was also staring, but more in confusion). Trixie smiled at them, letting out a nervous chuckle. Did the library suddenly get warmer? Her face felt like it was burning. Strangely, so did her eyes as everything started to become blurry.

"S-sorry ab-about that," Trixie managed to say, her ears drooping. "Why... why don't you look around." Tear started to run down her cheeks. "I need to take care of something and will be back to help in a few minutes." She then turned and ran as quickly as she could up the stairs.

The seven ponies continued to stand there, staring at where they had last seen Trixie before she fled. The sound of a door slamming shut. They continued to stand there in silence, trying to process everything.

It was Luna who broke the silence first.

"What just happened?"

"I'm not sure," Fluttershy replied, shifting.

"Trixie's in love with Twilight," Pinkie Pie stated, "and now she's kind of embarrassed over how she expressed."

"An understandable reaction," Rarity said. "Still, somepony should go and speak with her."

Twilight Sparkle nodded and started for the stairs. Before she was able to make it more than a few steps, she was stopped.

"Considering you're the one she's acting like this over," Applejack stated, "probably be better if you weren't the one to go up yet."

Rarity let out a sigh and rolled her eyes.

"I suppose that such a responsibility as helping a poor lovelorn mare should fall to one such as myself," she said. "Such is the burden of things." With that, she started making her way up the stairs.

"...I need to think," Twilight said. "Fluttershy, Luna, I'll see you back at the cottage." She turned and headed for the door, torn between wanting to bolt for it and trying to be calm and casual.

"So...what now?" Applejack asked. "I mean I don't feel right leaving with things the way they are, but I don't feel right 'bout staying 'round either."

Upstairs, Rarity reached a door at the end of the hallway. With a glow of her magic, she took a hold of the knob and tested it. Finding it unlocked, she opened the door and stepped inside.

At first, she thought that she may have chosen the wrong room. She saw an round room full of shelves, most of which had nothing on them. As she looked around, she noticed that the room was actually composed of two portions. The second was a raised sleeping nook with stairs that were to Rarity's immediate left, following along the wall.

She made her way up the steps to the nook, and found Trixie. The pale blue unicorn laid in her bed, facing the window. Clasped in her hooves was a dark purple bear with a white star on its forehead. She continued to stair out the window, tears streaming down her face.

Rarity walked closer, making sure that she was seen. She then sat on the floor beside the bed, looking out the window as well.

"What are you doing here?" Trixie growled.

"Thought you could use somepony to speak with."

The two of them were quiet for a moment, looking out through the branches of the tree to see Ponyville.

"I was stupid," Trixie said. "I never should have done that. I shouldn't have said anything at all."

"Now, darling," Rarity stated, "I will admit that your actions were a bit on the foolish side, but I must disagree with your final statement. In point, it would have been better if you had merely told her directly sooner."

"I know," Trixie admitted. "I was just... scared. I mean what if she wasn't interested in me? The only reason it happened was because I was just so... so..."

Rarity moved closer and placed a hoof gently on the other mare.

"It's alright," Rarity said softly. "I understand. Being turned down by one you are interested in is always a possibility, dear. It also will invariably be disappointing. However, there are two important points that you have overlooked.

"First, while it is true that by not saying anything about your feelings to another you avoid the risk of rejection, you also avoid the possibility of acceptance. After all, how can two ponies know how the other feels if neither are willing to say anything?"

Rarity paused, letting the statement sink in.

"Second, while it is true that rejection is disappointing, at least you know for certain how the other feels. This makes it easier to move on and find another, one who loves you as much as you love them."

Trixie nodded slowly, wiping the tears from her cheeks. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, slowly letting it out.

"Thank you," she mumbled, giving a weak smile.

"Any time," Rarity said with a smile. "If you like, come by my club this evening. A night of entertainment will do you some good. I'll even cover the meal." The smile shifted into a smirk. "Although I would like to hear a few amusing stories of our mutual friend."

Trixie let out a chuckle.

"I'll consider it."

"No pressure, darling." Rarity gave Trixie one last pat. "Now I'll leave you be. Take as long as you need."

With that she got up and started for the stairs.

"Wait!" Trixie called out. "I never got your name."

"Oh," Rarity said with a laugh as she blushed slightly. "How silly of me. It's Rarity."

"Well, thank you, Rarity."

"You are welcome, Trixie. And it was nice to meet you as well."