• Published 4th Jun 2014
  • 4,721 Views, 178 Comments

Our Lady's Courtship - Rough_Draft



Can a princess afford to be generous with her love life? Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy are about to find out.

  • ...
25
 178
 4,721

4. Confirmation

Everywhere Fluttershy went, all she saw were signs of Twilight Sparkle.

When she woke up—while coming out of a lovely dream about running through a meadow—she reached out to pat the warm body beside her in bed. Only to find that nopony was there. And when she realized that she’d been thinking of Twilight, Fluttershy covered her face in her hooves and sighed.

Feeding the animals was a routine that she could do in her sleep, but Fluttershy gave it her all anyway. It was easier to stay focused on the happy smiles of critters eating and sharing meals. Listening to the birds singing filled Fluttershy with a deep joy that nothing could contest, keeping her in the air as she made her own breakfast: a humble bowl of porridge and berries. But the moment she sat down at the table, her eyes wandered over to the empty chair beside her. And then all Fluttershy could see was Twilight sitting there, smiling and happy just like she’d been only a week ago.

Don’t do this, Fluttershy chided herself. Twilight is your friend and she’s in love with Rarity. It’s just a fantasy, nothing more…

It was easy to tell herself that, to repeat those words while she wrapped herself in a scarf and walked outside. Thankfully, somepony had finally gotten through to Rainbow Dash about the weather. Now the air was pleasant and cool, appropriate for the start of autumn. Orange and yellow leaves blew around on the road leading from Fluttershy’s cottage to the open-air market in Ponyville.

When she reached the market, the first face that Fluttershy saw was Pinkie Pie. Her friend had set up an outdoor booth near Sugarcube Corner, with a fresh batch of cupcakes piled up. There was already a giant line of ponies both young and old, offering up bits for a single treat. Even from close to a mile away, Fluttershy could already hear her friend’s high-pitched voice calling out for new customers.

“Step right up and try these delicious, nutritious, sugar-riffic cakes!” The pink pony balanced a cupcake on one hoof, drawing plenty of oohs and aahs from passerby. “Made with real bran and lots of chocolate! They’re so yummy that I bet you can’t eat just one—and why would you?”

Fluttershy giggled and got into line like everypony else. The porridge was nice, but it hadn’t filled her up. Maybe it was okay to indulge herself in a mid-morning snack.

But by the time she got close to Pinkie’s booth, Fluttershy’s heart sank. She noticed a trio of cupcakes sitting prominently on top of the pile. The frosting was top of each cake was a light shade of violet with a curious pink streak running through the middle. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, the sugar crystals coating the frosting actually sparkled in the sunlight.

Suddenly, Fluttershy wasn’t sure she wanted to go through with this.

But it was too late. Pinkie noticed her in line and grinned. “Hey, Fluttershy! Fluttershy, over here! Yoo hoo! Hey, come and have a cupcake on the house, even though this is a booth!”

“Oh, no, that’s all right,” said Fluttershy, backing away.

“No, it’s okay,” said a familiar voice. Fluttershy caught a glimpse of Lyra in line ahead of her. She winked and began to move to one side, as did everypony around her. “You go on ahead, sweetie.”

“N-no, it’s fine, I’ll wait—”

Her voice broke off into a terrified squeak as Lyra’s magic pulled her forward. Fluttershy could feel everypony’s eyes tracking her as she was brought toward the front of the line.

Pinkie greeted her with a huge smile. “Go ahead, Shy! Anyone you want, no charge!”

Trembling, Fluttershy glanced at the pile of cupcakes on display. She noticed that Pinkie’s choice of frosting had been deliberate. She saw combinations of yellow and pink, white and violet, orange and yellow, and rainbow swirls. All in imitation of their friends’ colors.

And right there, taunting her in front of everypony, were cupcakes that reminded her of the sweet and lovely Twilight Sparkle.

It wasn’t fair, but she couldn’t say no with so many ponies watching. Fluttershy swallowed and lifted her shaking hoof to the cakes on top.

“You got it!” Pinkie Pie’s hooves blurred around the cupcake, depositing it into a tiny paper bag, which then flew into the air. Fluttershy was barely able to catch it with her teeth. “See you later, alligator! Next!”

Fluttershy squeaked something like “Thank you” from behind the bag in her teeth. As she turned away, she extended one wing to take her snack and gingerly drop it into one of her saddlebags. Meanwhile, most of the ponies in line had turned away, focusing again on Pinkie and her antics.

Trotting through the market, Fluttershy felt like she was going through the motions of her day. She didn’t have to argue with any vendors about the price of vegetables or hay. Everywhere she went, she asked for what she needed, paid, and left. Nopony bothered her, not even one of her best friends.

It wasn’t like anypony could be worse than the hornets’ nest buzzing inside her head.

Fluttershy just didn’t get it. She’d never once looked at anypony with interest before, but the moment she found out that Twilight was committed to Rarity, she couldn’t stop thinking about her. Where was the sense in that?

Rainbow Dash would probably tell her to go for it, but that wasn’t fair to anypony. All Fluttershy would do was break somepony’s heart—including her own.

But when she listened to her head, she saw Twilight’s warm and encouraging smile during all those practice sessions for the Ponyville relay team. To see that princess, so proud and regal, wearing one of Pinkie Pie’s silly cheerleader outfits. Fluttershy had looked down for only a second during her final trial run—and there was Twilight, wearing the biggest grin as she waved her pom-poms and shouted, “Go, Fluttershy!

Really, that was all she wanted now. To hear Twilight telling her that it was okay to have these feelings and nothing was wrong and they could all still be friends.

With another swallow, Fluttershy left the market and turned away from the road that led back to her cottage. She felt awful, but she knew she had to go and see Twilight at once. For the sake of their friendship.

But if we could be more than friends… Fluttershy gritted her teeth and shook those thoughts away. When that didn’t work, she turned her trot into a full-on gallop toward the library.


Twilight respected the silence of a good library, where the only background noise came from pages being turned and books being slid in and out of their shelves—in the correct order, of course. But ever since she was a filly, she also loved the sound of unicorns practicing magic. That tiny hum coming out of somepony’s horn as they levitated objects through the air or cast a spell across the room never failed to send a shiver of delight through her whole body.

It was with such enthusiasm that she watched Sweetie Belle attempt yet again to levitate the drops of water from the bucket sitting in the middle of the floor. With tiny, adorable grunts, the little filly stared at the bucket, her horn turning bright green as she cast out her aura. The bucket shook for a moment and Twilight watched as a single rippling ball of water—no bigger than the filly’s left ear—rose into the air.

“Oh, Sweetie, that’s marvellous!” Rarity exclaimed, lifting her head from the book she’d been reading. “Bravo!”

“Th-thanks!” Sweetie Belle didn’t take her eyes off the water hovering midair.

Twilight smiled and took a cautious step forward. “It’s all right. Take a deep breath. You can do this. Just stay focused.”

“Yes, you can!” Rarity continued, utterly oblivious to the glare forming on her sister’s face. “Why, when I was your age, I couldn’t lift a spoon to save my life! But look at me now. I’m sure you’ll get to be as good in no time at all!”

With each word from her sister’s lips, Sweetie Belle’s grip on the water globe grew shakier. Twilight was tempted to call out Rarity for putting such pressure on the poor girl, but she’d wait until they were alone. It wouldn’t be fair to Sweetie Belle to see her sibling having an argument with her marefriend, especially when she was so close to getting this test right.

But as soon as that thought crossed her mind, the inevitable happened.

The water came splashing down onto the bucket, rather than into it. A lovely spray of water droplets splattered everypony in a six-foot radius. Twilight shook her mane out and then raced over to console Rarity, who was shrieking in despair at her waterlogged coiffure.

“Oh, would you look at this!” Rarity cried. With both hooves, she squeezed at the curls of her mane, rinsing out water all over the library floor. “And I’ve already been to the spa this week! Hopefully the spa sisters can accommodate me if I hurry!”

Twilight chuckled and patted Rarity’s head. “It doesn’t look too bad.”

“Maybe not to you, love—”

She stopped midsentence when Spike rushed downstairs with a fluffy white towel and a mane care kit in his claws. The little dragon knelt down and offered the accessories without a word, just a kind and appreciative smile.

Rarity blinked. “Oh.” She smiled and accepted the towel with a flick of her magic. “Thank you, Spikey-wikey. You’re far too kind.”

“Don’t mention it.” Spike had produced another, smaller towel from behind his back and went over to drape it around Sweetie Belle’s shoulders. “I had a feeling you guys would need this.”

Twilight grinned when she saw the attention Spike was giving Sweetie Belle. Of course he’d been denying any interest in her in the last week, but his actions said otherwise. She didn’t miss all the telltale signs: the way his face lit up when he and Sweetie were talking, the tail wag he’d get when she laughed at something he said, and the extra effort he’d put into cleaning up the mess from one of her failed magic tests. It was the sort of obvious and adorable behavior that Twilight had come to associate with young love.

Unfortunately, she’d failed to recognize those signs back in the human world, with that version of Flash. Picturing his face sent a pang of guilt through Twilight’s heart and she looked over at Rarity, who had already gotten her hair neat and dry again.

Now there was a fine mare, she thought. The sort of gracious and lovely pony who could brighten Twilight’s day with a smile and a nuzzle. And the more they’d talked since their first date, the more Twilight appreciated how educated Rarity was compared to the rest of their friends. She knew so much about Equestrian history and culture that it was like going to a museum. For once, Twilight could sit back and listen to somepony else give a thrilling lecture.

How did I ever get so lucky? she wondered.

But the quiet, happy moment came to an abrupt end when somepony knocked at the front door. Twilight trotted over to answer it, surprised to find a bedraggled, hard-breathing Fluttershy on the other side.

“Oh, T-Twilight…” The pegasus gasped for air, drawing back for a moment. “I-I’m so glad you’re… home…”

“What’s wrong, Fluttershy?”

“I… need to…” Her mouth kept moving, but Fluttershy didn’t say another word after that. She let out a tiny, tired squeak and slumped forward into Twilight’s open forelegs.

“Oh, goodness!” Rarity exclaimed, leaping to her hooves. “Whatever happened to you, darling?”

Twilight examined the pegasus’s half-closed eyes and checked the dirt lining the bottom of her hooves. “Looks to me like she was running hard to get here.”

“Should we take her to a hospital?”

Shaking her head, Twilight let go of Fluttershy, catching her in her magic and levitating her over the ground. “She just needs to rest. I’ll take her upstairs.” When she saw Spike and Sweetie Belle watching quietly, she smiled and added, “Spike, why don’t you start on lunch for our guests? I’m sure Sweetie Belle might like to learn about the finer points of your culinary skills.”

“Uhh, yeah…” The little dragon blushed, but only for a second. Then he reasserted his tough guy face, drawing himself up like a royal guard and marching over to the kitchen. “Right this way, Sweetie Belle! You’re about to see a master chef at work!”

As the two kids raced off, Twilight caught Rarity’s eye. “Can you keep an eye on them? I promise I won’t be long.”

“Of course,” Rarity answered. She gave Fluttershy a nervous glance, then trotted out of the room without another word.

Sighing, Twilight continued upstairs, still floating Fluttershy behind her like a bag full of books. It was amazing how this full-grown pegasus was somehow lighter to carry than an earth pony. Probably something to do with the hollow bone structure common to all pegasi. It made flying so much easier, according to Twilight’s reading.

By the time she reached her bedroom, Fluttershy had fallen asleep. Twilight carefully shifted her aura around, depositing her friend onto the bed. With another twist of her magic, she lifted the covers and tucked Fluttershy in. And not once did the sleeping mare stir.

“You poor thing,” Twilight said. She trotted over to her friend’s side, giving her a quick nuzzle. “What in the world put you in such a hurry?”

Fluttershy didn’t answer, which was just as well. When Twilight looked down at her sleeping face, she felt something stir in the bottom of her heart. A quiet longing that she thought she’d put to rest after her date with Rarity.

That sweet and innocent face. Those lips, parted slightly as she began to snore. Even her snoring was graceful!

Why do I feel this way around you? Twilight wondered. I’m happy with Rarity. Truly I am! So why can’t I stop these feelings for you, Shy?

She wondered if she should tell Fluttershy how she felt. But would that be the right thing to do? Yes, nopony was as forgiving or understanding as this kindhearted pegasus, but Twilight had a suspicion that she’d only make things worse by admitting her feelings. That confession would hang over their friendship like an ominous black cloud, drenching every happy moment together with uncomfortable truths. At least with Rarity, they’d taken a chance on love and things were going great between them. But how to reconcile that joy with another pony?

Twilight stood beside her bed, watching Fluttershy curl up under the covers. Every passing second was unbearable, with Rarity waiting downstairs and this sweet little pony lying in her bed, right in front of her, just waiting to be…

Before she could stop herself, Twilight leaned down and planted a soft kiss on Fluttershy’s forehead. Her lips lingered for only a second, but that was more than enough time to absorb the scent of the mint shampoo in Fluttershy’s hair and the tulip fragrance she wore outdoors.

There we go, thought Twilight and turned to leave the room. It’s done. I’ll never have to think about her like that ever again—

She froze when a pair of hooves caught the back of her neck.

“Twilight?” a soft voice whispered.

When she looked back, Twilight saw Fluttershy staring up at her, now fully awake. Those big beautiful eyes staring up at her with… what, exactly?

No. Twilight’s heart went still. No, it couldn’t be…

Everything went slow for the next few seconds, which stretched out like minutes. Twilight saw herself being pulled back toward Fluttershy. She didn’t resist when the timid pegasus pressed her lips against the side of her cheek, lingering just as Twilight had done with her only a moment ago. And when she broke away from the kiss, Fluttershy sank back into bed with a tiny whimper.

“I’m…” She gasped and pulled her hooves up to her chin, using the blanket to shield herself from Twilight. “I-I’m so sorry. I never meant to…”

Twilight barely heard her. She was too busy touching her cheek and savoring the warmth from Fluttershy’s lips.

A kiss from Fluttershy. Now that was something she’d never dreamt could happen.

“Did…?” As she battled the gray fog inside her head, Twilight cleared her throat and tried again to speak. “Did you come here to tell me that—?”

“I think I love you?” Fluttershy finished. She pulled the sheets up to her eyes. Her poor little body began to shake, sending out anxious ripples across the bedsheets.

I love you, too was on the tip of Twilight’s tongue. Though she kept staring blankly, inside she was running over meadows in the warm summer sun, frollicking and laughing as she cheered for all the world to see. It was like falling for Flash Sentry all over again.

But it wasn’t all sunny inside. There was still one kernel of doubt that kept her at bay. One rock-hard fact that loomed deep in her mind.

Rarity was still downstairs, totally unaware of what had just happened.

Why? Twilight demanded. Why does my love life have to be so complicated?

“I’m so sorry,” Fluttershy said again. With each word, she moved herself away from Twilight, huddling deeper into the bed and under the covers like some feathered yellow snail. “Please, don’t tell Rarity. I didn’t mean to do that. I only—”

“It’s okay, Fluttershy.” Twilight said the words without thinking; it was her standard response whenever a friend of hers was in need. Then, when she looked over the pitiful pony lying in her bed, she reached out and stroked the side of her mane.

Fluttershy flinched, but didn’t pull away. She stared at Twilight in quiet disbelief.

And here was a new dilemma, as if she didn’t have enough of those. Twilight could be honest and confess her own feelings to both Fluttershy and Rarity. She could also pretend nothing had happened and keep the secret forever, letting Rarity believe she was the only mare for her while her heart pined for another. And while these thoughts chased themselves ragged through her mind, Twilight was struck with the irony that, once again, she was stuck with keeping secrets between Fluttershy and Rarity.

But this time, there was no Photo Finish or fashion shows to contend with. No adoring press or rabid fans. Just the three of them, with poor Twilight stuck in the middle.

And just like before, there was only one good way out of this mess.

“I suppose, if we’re going to be honest with each other,” she said quietly, “I should tell you that I’ve been going through the same trouble you have.”

“What trouble?” Fluttershy blinked. That innocent frown made Twilight want to lean in and kiss her, to sweep her up in her forelegs and never let go.

So she did.


Fluttershy never wanted this dream to end.

All those doubts and tension she’d been suffering all day long vanished in one instant of bliss. What did she need to fear anymore? Here she was, locked in a passionate embrace with Twilight Sparkle, the smartest and bravest pony she knew. Everything made sense now. Fluttershy would hold onto this kiss for the rest of her life, taking refuge in its joy.

But when the kiss broke, reality crashed around her.

She was breathing hard. Sweat covered her face and her forelegs. Fluttershy blinked as she realized that neither the hooves holding her shoulders nor the smiling face of Twilight were imaginary.

“Th… th-that…” she whispered.

“I know,” Twilight replied, still smiling.

“Th-that wasn’t a dream…”

“No, it wasn’t.”

Fluttershy lifted a hoof to Twilight’s cheek. It was warm to the touch and Twilight didn’t even flinch. “You’re real…”

“I sure am.”

Her breath caught in her throat. Celestia be praised, she’d actually done it!

And she’d done it with Rarity waiting downstairs. Fluttershy’s happiest moment suddenly became her worst nightmare.

Well, except for the smile on Twilight’s face. That was alright, wasn’t it?

“W-what do we do now?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight opened her mouth to reply, but when she didn’t say anything, she closed it and shook her head slowly. “I’m not sure. All I do know is…” She paused, staring down at her hooves with a bashful frown. “I like you a lot, Shy. And I like Rarity, too. I really can’t explain it.”

It was difficult for Fluttershy to focus on Twilight. In her mind’s eye, she saw Rarity’s tear-stricken face when she found out. She imagined the anger and the sorrow, all the terrible curses pouring out from her best friend’s mouth as she ran off. Rarity’s one chance of happiness with her special somepony, only to be ruined by Fluttershy. She couldn’t live with that pain. Not even for one day with Twilight.

“You shouldn’t hold out for me,” Fluttershy said. Every word cut into her throat, but she had to keep going, for Rarity’s sake. “I don’t want to be the pony who gets between you and Rarity.”

“You aren’t,” Twilight insisted. With both hooves reaching up, she pulled Fluttershy into a gentle hug. “We’ll figure something out. I’ll tell Rarity. I’ll make sure she doesn’t get upset at you. I have to believe that we can still be friends in spite of this.”

Fluttershy really, really wanted to believe her. Something about Twilight’s voice was so reassuring; it made her want to fly, even when she was too tired to run. For a moment, she could almost forget that mental image of Rarity crying and running away to Manehattan.

Meanwhile, Twilight let go of Fluttershy. With one hoof, she pushed Fluttershy back into bed and used her magic to pull the covers over her again. “But we’ll worry about that later. Right now, just lie here and get some rest, okay?” She smiled sweetly. “Can you do that for me?”

For that smile, Fluttershy felt like she could do anything. She nodded and let her head fall back onto Twilight’s pillow.

Twilight patted her on the head. “Sweet dreams, Shy.” Then, she turned and left the room, using her magic to pull the curtains closed.


Watching the commotion in Twilight’s kitchen was an odd treat for Rarity. She appreciated the skill with which Spike prepared the sandwiches, cutting slices of bread and tomatoes with such determination written on his cute little face. But like mixing colors or tastes, she also delighted in the sight of dear little Sweetie Belle, who tried so hard to mix a salad, but put more lettuce and dressing on the floor with her telekinesis than into the actual bowl. Fortunately for Spike’s short temper, Rarity was experienced at cleaning up after her sister and used her own magic to follow the filly around with a damp cloth and a wastebasket.

Seeing the two try to work did make Rarity wonder about how Twilight and Spike had built up their relationship before coming to Ponyville. What had it been like to raise a dragon from the day he hatched? How did it compare to taking care of a unicorn filly? And was it easier for Twilight, growing up in the fine city of Canterlot instead of boring old Ponyville?

But such questions would have to wait. When she saw the tray of sandwiches that Spike had set up on the kitchen table, Rarity knew she could wait no longer. She had to go upstairs and check on sweet Fluttershy. Who knew what terrible illness she’d come down with? But perhaps it wasn’t anything that a little bedrest and a nuzzle couldn’t fix.

“All right, you two,” said Rarity. With a final spell, she dropped the soiled washcloth onto the kitchen counter and set down the wastebasket in the corner. “Go ahead and start. I’ll go and call Twilight down. And perhaps Fluttershy as well.”

“Okay!” Sweetie Belle squealed, almost knocking over the tray that Spike was adjusting. The little dragon shot a glare at her, but it soon melted away into a look of embarrassment.

Rarity chuckled and trotted out of the kitchen. Ahh, to be so young and new to the ways of love!

As if you’re one to talk! her conscience retorted. Twilight was still your first kiss!

But they were getting better, Rarity knew. They’d had so many fine dinners and long walks and even a few more kisses when nopony else was looking. It was so wonderful being Twilight’s marefriend. She wouldn’t give it up for anything in the whole wide world!

On her way to the stairs, Rarity heard hoofsteps clip-clopping toward her. She glanced up and smiled when she saw Twilight coming toward her. “There you are, darling! I was starting to get worried! How is our dear Fluttershy—?”

“She’s fine,” Twilight cut in. “She just needs sleep.”

The curtness of her tone surprised Rarity, as did the concerned look on her face. It didn’t match what she was saying.

Was there something wrong with Fluttershy? Rarity prayed it wasn’t the case.

“I’m sorry to spring this on you,” Twilight continued, a little softer in her tone now. Her hoof came to rest on Rarity’s shoulder. “There’s something we need to talk about, but I’d rather wait until after lunch.” She glanced toward the kitchen, where a pair of young voices could be heard. “It’s not something I want the others to hear.”

“Yes, of course, dearest.” Rarity leaned in and gave her a nuzzle. “Whatever you need.”

“Right now?” Twilight smiled. With that Canterlot-born grace of hers, she leaned forward on her front hooves and kissed Rarity just below the horn. “I need you and nopony else.”

Rarity’s eyes drifted shut. “Oh, Twilight Sparkle. You definitely know how to treat a lady…”

“And you sure know how to be one,” Twilight replied, giving her a wink as they headed back toward the kitchen.

Author's Note:

Many thanks to Outcast9851, A L Kelthian, silver hands et al. for taking the time to edit and proofread this chapter. I hope all their hard work and my attempts to put their suggestions into practice paid off for all my other readers!