• Published 28th May 2014
  • 963 Views, 3 Comments

The Devil in Me - Sleep Sonata



Mine is not the lesser light. I am not subordinate, and I am not her sister.

  • ...
6
 3
 963

If at First You Don't Succeed...

Mornings were always hard, but this one seemed especially brutal. I couldn’t look at anything without my eyes screaming in pain from the torrents of light. All day yesterday I’d been thinking of how to help with the search, while also dealing with the Nightmare. I hadn’t found a way to help, and the hag still hadn’t gone away. I’d lost so much sleep and accomplished so little.

If waking up was a challenge, removing myself from bed was ordeal. Whatever sleep I do get now occurs in intervals of no more than two hours, so it isn’t appropriate to call my sleep ‘rest’. In spite of this, I was reluctant to leave my bed.

When I arrived at the common chamber, Celestia was there, having what I assumed was her morning tea. She needed to look twice in my direction before she realized that it was me out of bed at that time of day. “Luna? This is a surprise. Did I wake you up?”

I hadn’t heard a sound. I thought my insomnia would’ve woken her up. “No no, I just didn’t sleep well.”

“Do you want to see the physician? I’m not sure what she can do for the princess of dreams, but you could try.”

“No thank you sister. I’ll be alright. I have some other duties I need to tend to anyways.”

“Ok, but don’t let that get in the way of your health.”

“Yes yes Tia, I know.” I left the room without a word more. I didn’t want to be irate, but I did have one very important matter to attend to.

I made my way to the briefing room on the first floor of the castle. I had woken up late enough that the Royal Guard had finished their briefings, and would not be using the room for the remainder of the day. I decided, at the request of Captain Sagittarius, to use the room for the Thestral Guard.

Inside, I’d assembled the 5 Regional Commanders, each one rubbing the sandmare’s grains from their eyes. I suppose most of them were still waking up, which they had all done once I stepped into the room.

“Princess Luna, We are honored that you summoned us to your presence.” Captain Sagittarius, Captain of the Capital division, and the rest of the captains greeted me with a shallow bow, before returning to their formal postures. “However, none of us are clear as to why you summoned us here.”

“And that is why we are meeting now. I apologize for disturbing you sleep cycles, but I have a very important task for you all.” None of them so much as blinked during my pause. “I need you to resume the night search for the Crystal Empire as soon as possible.”

Even ponies as composed as these were visually perplexed by what I was asking them to do. “But Princess,” Sagittarius spoke up again. “Princess Celestia ordered us to halt night time searches. The ranks will be as confused by this turnabout as we are.”

“Yes, I understand that this is an abrupt change of policy...again. But it is necessary. Celestia is not convinced of your loyalty to Equestria, but I am.” The empty stare of the officers made me realize that I was speaking at a rather quick pace. I resumed at a more modest tempo. “Therefore, you will not be collaborating with the Royal Guard on the search.”

“Your Royal Highness, I am confused.” Captain Gemini addressed me this time. “How are we supposed to run a coordinated search if we don’t collaborate with the Royal Guard? I’m assuming they’ll be doing daytime sweeps.”

“You need not worry,” I assured them with a grin. “I will take care of the search areas for the Royal Guard, so as to match your progress so far.” The looks from the officers were less than reassured. “Are there any questions?”

Sagittarius spoke for the group once again. “No your Royal Highness, but I think we are all concerned about Princess Celestia. She halted our search before. She won’t be pleased to hear we’ve resumed without her consent.”

“I will worry about my sister’s reaction if that time comes. If the Royal Guard finds the Empire first, then our searches never took place. If you are the ones to find it, I don’t believe Celestia will be concerned with our methods.” The officers rendered a salute, and I dismissed them to their duties. The search will be on again.

My logic was sound, and my officers loyal. All I had to do now was keep Celestia out of the search effort. Everything would be perfect.

Author's Note:

I'm not slow, just lazy. Twitch streaming is taking over my life, man.