• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 1,612 Views, 187 Comments

Mending Light - Kiromancer



Sometimes I dream of who I could be. A powerful figure, strong, unafraid. A valiant Knight who stands to protect the weak. I never had the courage to make anything of myself, despite my dreams. Until I found her.

  • ...
6
 187
 1,612

PreviousChapters Next
43 - Fiery Approach

With the next leg of our journey so close to reaching the Forge, Dusky asked if Bellerophon could remember how the city was set up. This resulted in a morning spent with him drawing out a map while Star and Dusky prepared our packs. The end result wasn't complete, but disturbing in its size. The Forge wasn't some single structure, or just an outpost amid the mountains. It was a massive city.

That, combined with the evidence of conspiracy the innkeeper had given me, and the details Dusky had learned about this ‘hunt’, the picture of just what we’d be facing was becoming very grim. If Merri had already beaten us there, finding her would be difficult. Finding her without any of us getting caught in the process was going to be even harder.

At the same time, the ‘hunt’ meant that at least they were expecting new faces to come in, which Dusky said could be the opening we needed to get in, find Merri, and get out. Leaving Fort Mareginot, we headed back into the Badlands, into both the frying pan and the fire.

We were beyond the scope of Star’s knowledge, and now it fell to Bellerophon to guide us. He would give his recollections, point the way, and I’d rely the message. Otherwise, we moved through the rocky wastes in silence; Star was focused upon the horizon, and Dusky seemed lost in her own thoughts. It somehow left me leading the party.

The landscape was disturbing, not only did it reflect the deadly grounds we’d initially crossed to reach Fort Rhenish, but we also found more slain creatures than could be counted. The hunt may have been a ruse, but the adventurers heading north certainly worked to keep up appearances.

As we grew closer, we emerged from behind a set of foothills to at last see our destination in its entirety. Standing out from the mountain range was one larger mountain, the top of it broken off, lacking any sort of jagged tip. Yet it still stood above the others, dominating the field of vision.

The Forge… home. Bellerophon’s voice reflected my own awe at the sight.

It wasn't quite what I expected, after the gleaming spires of Ostfriesen Castle, the Forge could easily be mistaken for just another mountain. There were no obvious towers or gates or great city built into the mountain like Canterlot. I had expected to see something after seeing the size of the map Bellerophon had drawn. Is… is it abandoned? There’s nothing here.

There’s nothing on the surface, no. The Forge is quite unique in Ostfriesen. An underground city, protected from both the savage elements and the creatures native to the Badlands. Pride crept into his voice. It was my greatest achievement. Perhaps in some other reality, it would be the capital of Ostfriesen, and this land would be as beautiful as that surrounding Oasis.

I looked across the mountain range, seeing the snow-capped peaks, even this far south. I… can see it. The potential, I mean. I’m… I’m sorry things worked out as they did.

As am I… He grew silent as we walked, moving along the road north. Some time after we’d departed Fort Mareginot, the path had grown old and long neglected. We were fortunate that the decay didn't halt our travel, however. Wait…

I slowed as Bellerophon considered. Hmm? What is it?

The path. It’s not nearly as neglected as it seems. He paused. Nor as abandoned… listen.

I looked down at the road, and began to see what he meant. The road was patched up, holes freshly filled with dirt, and as the others slowed behind me, we began to hear distant hooves stepping across the wastes.

Dusky turned from the path, moving very carefully to circle towards an outcropping of rocks off the side of the trail. She tensed as she approached, but as she rounded their edge, let out a sigh of relief.

Moving to follow, I came up alongside Dusky. Once the threat of an ambush was past, it was clear she’d found something. “What is it?”

“I think I found a crossbow, but I don’t know whose.” Dusky lifted her head to look back at Star and I. “Solanum?”

Star moved quickly to our position, and without much examination, lifted the broken crossbow out of its resting spot with her magic. She turned it, examining the butt of the weapon. “Those bastards.”

Before we could react, she was gone, sprinting down the road with her head low, her hooves falling with an eerie silence.

“Wh-what? Solanum!” Dusky whispered as loudly as she dared, but it was too late. She looked at me, the worry on her face evident. We’d come so far to toss it all aside now.

I frowned, and nodding to Dusky, we set off after Star as quickly as we could manage.

Dusky led the way, back to the main road and into the direction of the hoofsteps Bellerophon had clued me in on. If it were a patrol, or some of the hunters coming north, we were in trouble either way if Star did something rash.

We reached the top of the hill together and Dusky ducked down, motioning for me to follow suit. I crouched down and glanced over the hill. Below were three earth ponies in rough barding, carrying spears and hoofblades. They hardly had the same shine or unique flair as the Knights we’d seen throughout Ostfriesen, instead looking scrapped together from remnants.

It was mere second before we saw Star make her move. Ambushing the group from behind a large boulder, Star made short work of the first two as they clumsily raised their weapons. I winced at the blows, but saw no blood, which was in some ways more disturbing.

The third lashed out with her hoofblade, swinging in an awkward arc that looked wide open, even to me. Star parried and used that momentum to turn about and deliver a sharp kick to the pony’s head, striking her helmet with a loud clang that dropped her to the ground.

As the melee ended, we hurried down the hill to meet with Star. She was already turning towards us, there was little left to do now expect clean up before we got caught.

“What are you doing?” Dusky asked, her voice measured, but some shock creeping in.

“I will tell you after. Just move the bodies.” She lifted the third pony in her magic, carrying the limp mare behind her. “Quickly.”

I frowned at Dusky, then set to work. We moved the ponies off the path, doing our best to work quickly and quietly. The lack of blood from Star’s attacks was a result of deep burns, Star’s blades had cauterized as she’d cut. I could feel the bile rising in the back of my throat, but managed to keep it down.

Dusky guided me back to help cover our tracks. As we finished up and returned, Star was waiting. She led us towards a small cave set inside the rocky landscape. There, she’d hidden the two dead guards, as well as the third patrol member. She was still alive, lying on her back with her legs tied together. She certainly didn't seem like any great warrior, her coat was a dark green, almost brown. Part of that was just dirt, like she hadn't had a chance to clean up in ages.

Star quickly stepped up to the prisoner, and less than gently pushed her head. When it failed to awaken her, Star tried again, much more violently.

The mare shook suddenly, as if from a dream. “Gah! I didn't mean to oversleep, Sarge, I swear!” The expression swiftly changed as her shock narrowed in on Star, focusing into hate.

Star brought her head close to the survivor's ear. "I am not in the mood to play games. I have two questions for you, answer and this will all be over swiftly.”

“Or what?” The mare spit, but Star had positioned her facing her former companions, and as she saw them, the blood drained from her face. “You’ll kill me? L-like them? You won’t get anything that way!”

“No, I will not kill you. I will ask less nicely.” Star’s expression didn't change as she leaned in once again. “Now, answer me. A red unicorn came this way. What did you do with her, and what is the fastest way to enter the Forge?"

The prisoner struggled a moment, but was unable to make any headway against her bindings. She trembled, but did her best to keep any fear out of her voice. "I won't tell you anything."

"Very well. Know that this could have been avoided." Starshadow lifted her hoofblade into the mare’s sight, then placed a rag into her mouth. With it in place, she slid the heated blade across the prisoner's chest, carving a burning scar.

The pony screamed through the rag as Star let the cut linger. I turned away from the sight of it, but her scream still haunted me. This shouldn't have been happening. We were here to save Merri. This was just... wrong. At last, the noise ended, and as the mare coughed out the rag, she sobbed “M-monster!”

I could feel a sense of approval coming from the back of my mind, from Bellerophon. Her methods are brutal, but will garner results. Time is of the essence, after all.

Too brutal! I... I can't condone this. Any of this! I shuddered, recalling all the violence I'd seen, the violence I'd even participated in. White Riot's blood still stained my hooves. This goes too far.

Starshadow poised her blade in front of the mare. "My signet is not a simple pattern. It will take many strokes to complete. Consider your answers carefully."

I turned to look back, quietly wishing for her to simply answer the questions.

She squirmed. The fear in her eyes was open now as she focused on the blade, held inches from her chest. At last she swallowed, and the answer flowed out. "Th-there's a path out to the ash plains in the east! It's lightly guarded! Just the gatekeeper and he’s always sneaking off for naps!"

Starshadow nodded. "And? What of the Red unicorn who was taken captive?"

"What?" She shrank back from the blade as best she could. "Wh-what red unicorn?"

With a sigh, Starshadow began to bring the blade back into view.

“N-no! I don’t know! I swear!” The mare struggled in the ropes again, trying to inch away from the blade. “We've hardly even seen anypony a-and we certainly haven’t captured a red unicorn!”

Star shook her head once. "Wrong answer."

The stunned silence that had struck us when the blade first cut the scout was over now, and as Star moved to make the second cut, Dusky seemed to regain her senses. She lunged forward, her wing thrusting up to parry Star’s hoof. "Solanum! Stop! What are you doing?"

"I am doing what is necessary." Star snapped her head back at Dusky. "We have to find her."

Dusky shook her head and spared a glance at the corpses of the other two ponies. "Pain and suffering is necessary on the battlefield. This is cold-blooded cruelty.

The more information we have, the better prepared we will be. Bellerophon stated his position firmly. I propose continuing the interrogation.

No. I stepped forward. "I... I can't let you do anymore of this. I'm... I'm sorry. We need to keep moving."

Dusky looked down at the terrified scout. "I agree. She's already told us what she knows. We can get more concrete information once we’re inside."

Starshadow stared at her prisoner in frustration, but at last relented. "Fine. Then we must move. Assuming she has not lied to us, we can find this side entrance before nightfall."

"A-and what about her?" I called after, pointing at the scout.

"Leave her." Star was already on the move on, intent upon her mission.

I grit my teeth and moved to catch up to Star. "What? We can’t do that!"

Star stopped walking, dropping her head down to eye the prisoner. "We cannot have her returning to the Forge to warn them, nor do we have time to take her back somewhere safe. Either we leave her here, bound as she is, or we need to end her life."

"N-no! Y-you can't do this! You can’t!" The mare struggled against her bindings once again, but this time when she stopped, she seemed to give up entirely.

Dusky turned, raising a hoof towards the scout. "We’re going to leave you here, but we’ll be back. Unless, we’re walking into an ambush, of course.”

“I’m not lying! The passage is safe, I swear! I-if Old Ed challenges you, tell him, ‘I lay at the hooves of the Immortal Prince, Bellerophon.’” She was nearly in tears, something about all of this felt wrong.

“Then that settles that.” Dusky picked up the rag and gagged the mare once again. “Sorry, but we can’t leave you without this.”

Bellerophon sneered. Immortal Prince? What lies have spawned in my absence from this land?

I frowned. I don’t know… it seems… off, doesn't it?

Of course it seems off. Lies built upon lies. I am almost sorry we won’t be wiping them out.

I shuddered. You saw that mare as clearly as I did. You really think she’s a threat? That she deserves to die?

She clings to a false promise, which will cause a great deal of suffering. She may not deserve to die, but that will not stop it from happening.

I felt sick. I knew what it felt like to take a life, and couldn't write it off so easily as Bellerophon could. It doesn't make you right either. I walked out of the cave, head low. Dusky waited just outside, and Star walked just ahead of me.

Star lifted an eyebrow at Dusky as we approached. “Now what is it?”

Dusky shook her head. “Something’s not right. Troops and supplies are invariably making their way out here, yet, this patrol was a bunch of half-starved amateurs. Why?”

Even with the materials coming in, the hope of this army is the Forge itself. Bellerophon continued. It will require a large number of ponies to ensure it is functioning at its full potential, and doing so will most certainly alert Ostfriesen of its operation.

I swallowed. “Um, Bellerophon says that the Forge takes a lot of ponies to reach full capacity. If they weren't trying to draw attention, they probably weren't using the whole thing.”

Star narrowed her eyes. “All the better that we strike swiftly.”

Dusky shook her head. “That may explain some of it, but the gap still seems too wide. Their armor looks like it was made by an Equestrian apprentice. Even if they had been the ones to catch Solanum by surprise, I doubt that they could have won. What purpose does such an under-qualified patrol serve?”

Bellerophon considered. Perhaps you are correct, Night Flurry. Something seems off. Those ponies, they were sent out to die.

I gave a start. “Wh-what? No… Why?”

Dusky stepped closer to me. “Night?”

Decoys, perhaps. I am beginning to suspect that all is not as it seems in the Forge.

“Bellerophon says… he says they might be decoys.”

“That would make sense.” Star set a hoof to her chin. “The typical Ostfriesen monster hunter would not give them a second glance.”

“So, they could slink around and report if anyone dangerous was snooping around.” Dusky nodded, then her face paled. “Or, if they didn't return, still serve as a warning.”

The question lingered in the air. A warning to who? Those who opposed this rebellion, or those within the rebellion that did not stay in line? These ponies had been set up, to return with useful information, or die in the process. The Badlands were filled with monsters, but it seemed not all of them were wild animals.

PreviousChapters Next