• Published 21st May 2014
  • 4,455 Views, 608 Comments

The Monster Below: Nightfall - Greenback



When Chrysalis begin a campaign to destroy Equestria from within, an Earth pony struggles to protect his family by any means necessary, regardless of the consequences

  • ...
43
 608
 4,455

Old Friends

Even with our guard pushing ponies aside, it’s difficult to make our way through the crowd to the stage. Only after five minutes of darting, ducking, and squeezing do we finally reach the reserved seats.

“Remind me never to go through that again,” Dad says as he takes a seat.

“Don’t go through that again,” Mom says.

I sit down as the lights dim. Thousands of ponies go quiet around us.

A spotlight shines onto the stage.

“Since time began," a voice says offstage, "there has been only one constant throughout the ages: change.”

The voice is of an older pony, full of elegance, sophistication, and a formidable intelligence. But it's also... familiar. I know that voice. I've heard it before, but where?

“We cannot stop the future, but we can decide how we'll face it, and more importantly, how we'll live in it. That, mares and gentlecolts, is the mission of TechInc.”

A unicorn strolls onstage.

“While we can never predict what's coming, there are those who have the vision, the will, and the power to guide others and help them rise. And that, my friends, is what I, Glasseye, founder and CEO of TechInc, am here to do.”

Wait, Glasseye? The pony who was Beakbreaker's professor at Manehattan University?

The lights snap on, letting us all gaze upon Glasseye in full. Time hasn't been kind to him, for he looks quite older than when I last saw him. But he still has a spring in his step, and enjoys being the center of attention as the audience claps and cheers. But I can't believe it; Glasseye is the CEO of TechInc? He was a slightly uptight professor, not the type to start a huge organization, much less guide it.

Glasseye holds up a hoof. “The last time I strolled across this stage, I promised all of you that by this time next year, TechInc would have the most wonderful things in store for you all, and I intend to keep that promise!”

The crowd goes crazy.

“We have four delightful things to show you,” Glasseye says. “One for each day of the convention... though I suppose we can bend the rules and show two tonight.”

The crowd goes ballistic as Glasseye strolls to three pedestals, each holding up a piece of cloth that hides something beneath. The first is medium sized, the second is tiny, and whatever is beneath the third is big enough to hold one of the princesses.

Taking hold of the first cloth, Glasseye yanks it away. An excited gasp goes up from the crowd in anticipation, but the excitement is short lived. Beneath the tarp is a clear case holding a pony leg.

Glasseye adopts a sarcastic tone. “'Oh, Glasseye, what's this? A leg? We've seen plenty of legs. It's what TechInc and Medicomp has been offering us for years. You got us all worked up for nothing!” He chuckles. “Fear not, my friends; TechInc hasn't resorted to copycatting our competitors.” His horn lights up, removing the glass and pulling the leg out. “At first glance, an ordinary pony leg. The usual replacement we've seen for years on the market. And you'd be forgiven for thinking that this is one of Medicomp's legs that come to life in a lab. But if we look just a little closer, we’ll see there’s more to this leg than meets the eye.”

Taking a scalpel, Glasseye bloodlessly slices into artificial skin, pulling away to reveal bones of steel and pistons, springs, and coils in place of muscles.

“Our first prosthetic limbs were crude mechanical things, designed only to let ponies walk again. But we asked ourselves, how can we do better? How can we possibly make limbs that are not only functional, but elegant? So we researched, invested, and came up with the finest mechanical limbs Equestria has to offer. Mechanical legs that look and feel just like the real thing. Here, see for yourselves.”

His horn glows, and the leg heads into the crowd, hovering above random ponies, giving them a brief moment to touch the device and see it up close. It darts about at random, nearby photographers struggling to keep up, no doubt hoping to catch the reactions of ponies lucky enough to see the limb up close.

Then the limb flies to the front row, and to me. Being on the edge of the stage, Glasseye is eager to see my reaction. It's been years since we last met, and he realizes that there's something familiar about me. It takes him a few moments to connect the dots, and he couldn’t be more surprised.

“So, why do such a leg?” Glasseye asks the audience, trying to stay focused. “We all know the fabled strength of earth ponies, and how they can buck trees, run for miles, and do things us unicorns and pegasi can only dream of. But these limbs now offer that strength to everyone. Observe.”

Two trolleys are rolled onto stage. One holds one of those legs, the other a giant boulder. Both are locked into place with powerful magnets. Glasseye holds up a remote control and presses a button. With lighting speed, the leg shoots out and hits the boulder so hard that a crack snaps into existence on the surface. A second blow enlarges it, and a third hit shatters the boulder into dozens of chunks.

The audience gasps.

“Imagine it: limbs that deliver five times the power of a natural leg. An earth pony can run all day. These legs will let you run, jump, swim, and climb without growing tired.”

The audience murmurs, stunned, with Glasseye grinning all the while as he walks to the second tarp. “While this would normally be the end of the show, I believe we can break tradition and give you a little something extra: a dream of mine I’ve had for many years.

Everyone is on edge as Glasseye yanks the tarp off, revealing the next great technological marvel of the age.

The case is empty.

“Oh my. It appears I've forgotten to put it in there for you all to see! How very silly of me.” Taking off his monocle, Glasseye rubs his eye. “Why, wherever did I put it?”

The ponies around me look at each other, unsure what's going on. Is this an act? Considering how much press coverage this event is getting, it wouldn't make sense for Glasseye to go through all this effort only to… Wait, what's he doing? Is he... He's digging at his eye!

Ponies around me shriek and scramble back in their seats as... oh Celestia, Glasseye’s ripping his eye out! Oh Celestia, this.... wait a second. Where's the blood? There's no tendrils, sinew, or flesh dangling from the back of the eye. Instead, there’s blinking lights and whirring gears.

“Mares and stallions, allow me to introduce the next wonder of the technological world: the first fully functional mechanical eye. As you can see...” he chuckles, “...this eye can fool even the most skilled observer. With this eye, sight can be restored to the blind, and they can gain even greater capabilities than ever before: they gain the ability to see in the dark, in infrared, and in wavelengths our normal eyes cannot detect. Why, you might even say that these eyes are an improvement over what nature itself has given us.”

Glasseye pops his prosthesis back in place. “Now, I know you all want to see what's beneath tarp number three.” Glasseye goes to the last tarp, the largest of them all. “But I'm afraid it shall have to remain a secret for now.”

An unseen gong chimes.

“Well, mares and gentlecolts, thank you all for your time. I'm sorry our little chat was short, but fear not! There's plenty more to see and do here throughout the convention, so please, enjoy yourselves!

As guards take up position around the object hidden beneath the tarp, Glasseye is quickly met by the big pony and heads offstage. He glances back at me ever-so-briefly, then heads through the door and out of sight. And not a moment too soon, for ponies surge forward, wanting to get a glimpse of the giant tarp and try to guess what's beneath it. My parents and I know better than to join that mob, so we remain sitting as we're rapidly surrounded by hundreds of exited ponies.

“Can you believe it?!” Dad says. “An artificial eye! Well, guess none of us have to worry about ever going blind; we can just get new eyes!”

“But how much are they going to cost?” Mom asks.

“Oh... well, I'm sure they won't charge too much. I mean, it'd be evil to not give them to someone because they can't afford to pay for it. We're not barbarians, after all.”

Mom nods. “So, what next?”

I had hoped that perhaps Glasseye and I could sneak in a brief chat once the show was over, but his hasty retreat means any interviews will have to wait until tomorrow morning. Even though it's been a long day, I'm not ready to retreat to my penthouse bed just yet. There's still tons of things to look at around here. Perhaps I can take a look at everything offered here to get an idea of exactly what TechInc is offering, as well as the technological status of other companies at these booths. All that should give me good information I can then present to Princess Luna for my first report.

“Why don't we look around?” I suggest. “See if anything catches our eyes?”

***

We spend the next hour squeezing through the crowds as we head from one booth to the next, looking over wares that companies have come to sell and show off. Mom and Dad are astonished at all the new technology on display; so am I, but my excitment is tampered: most of what we see are prototypes still far from being finalized and going on the market. But it’s impossible to deny how many things we see, ranging from home appliances, farm equipment, aircraft and personal vehicles, entertainment, and everything in between. Every company in the field of science and technology goes all-out to make the biggest impression they can… including one that I know very well.

“Medicomp?” Mom says. “What are they doing here?”

“Never thought they'd have a booth at the headquarters of their mortal enemy,” Dad muses.

The Medicomp booth is quite small, perhaps a reflection of their competition against TechInc. After all, what could the company offer against such technological marvels that Glasseye and his researchers keep putting out? Their attendants seem to share the feeling, given how miserable and uneasy they look. They glance my way; two don't recognize me, but the third does. He takes a few steps backwards.

Making sure my body posture is non-threatening, I take a brochure and look it over. It's not surprising that it focuses on Medicomp's many advantages over TechInc limbs, such as how theirs have the ability to feel sensations, such as cold, warm, and the soothing caress of a loved one, not to mention that their limbs can be grown to be stronger than natural legs. Not bad... but nobody's going to be fooled by it. After all, lack of touch is a small price to pay when you can run for days on end, punch through rock and stone, and fall without getting so much as a broken bone. It'll probably be only a matter of time before TechInc overcomes that obstacle as well, and then Medicomp will be in dire straits.

“Well?” Dad asks. “You think they got a chance against TechInc?”

“Difficult to say.” I look the booth over, studying the legs, the wings, and the horns within clear display cases. To Medicomp's credit, they look like the real thing, not something grown in a lab. They've improved their techniques since I got my wings and horns. I wonder how these ones feel, or if they're stronger and more durable. And how about horns? Have they managed to grow them as well?

“Silverspeak?”

I shake my head. “Sorry?”

“Hey, you okay?” Dad asks. “You zoned out there for a few seconds.”

“Yes, I'm fine. Just tired, that's all. It's been a long day.”

“You can head back if you want,” Mom says. “We'll keep looking around.”

“No, no that's okay. I'm good. Just need a few moments to wake up.” While this place seems safe enough, there's no telling if any of Chrysalis’ changelings here. There are no doubt guards with scanning magic hidden in the crowds or positioned near the doors, but I don't feel safe leaving my parents here. Best to stick together.

“Silverspeak?”

I turn at hearing my name called. One of Onyx Shield’s guards comes up, relieved that he’s found me.

“Yes?” I ask tensely.

The guard hands me a note. “A message for you, sir.”

I flip open the note and read it.

Silverspeak: Please come and meet me at the Late Lounge Diner at 8 PM. Beakbreaker.

My knees shake.

Mom comes up. “Silverspeak? Is something wrong?”

I show Mom the note.

“Oh… oh my!”

“What?” Dad asks. He snatches the note and reads it. “Oh.”

I spin, trying to find the nearest clock! Oh, what time is it?! Wait! There! It’s… seven thirty! I have half an hour! If I can get outside and get a taxi, I just might make it! But my parents! I can’t leave them!

“Mom, Dad, I-”

“Don’t worry about us,” Mom says. “You need to get going.”

“But you-”

“You’ve been waiting this long to see her,” Dad says. “You’re really going to keep her waiting because of us?”

Of course I can’t. But I can’t risk my parent’s safety, either. I turn to our guard. “Stay with them,” I say. “Make sure they get back to their room safely.”

He nods.

I almost sink to the floor in relief. With my parents safe, I can-

Mom grabs my shoulders and spins me around. “Get going!” she says with a chuckle. “Go!”

I dash towards the exit, only to stop, race back, and plant a quick kiss on my parent’s cheeks before taking off once again.

***

It takes me several frustrating moments to reach the entrance, and several more to get a taxi, leap in, tell the driver where to go, and then we're finally off. Leaning back in my seat, I close my eyes, trying to psyche myself up. This isn't something I have to fear: Beakbreaker already knows me, so I don't have to worry about first impressions. Well, almost. I don't want to come off as someone hardened by two years behind bars, but that shouldn't be a problem. It was difficult at first, trying to control my anger and frustration of being a prisoner, but for her, I was able to resist it. For Beakbreaker alone, I didn't succumb and turn into an angry pony who hated the world and everyone in it.

But what about Beakbreaker? What if she's changed in the past two years? Trying to keep up with TechInc in terms of tech and gizmos would put a huge stress on anyone. But unless she's taken up drinking to try and cope with the stress, she should still be the same zebra and I know... well, unless casual drinking turned to addiction, and she's having difficulty trying to keep it under control.

I gulp. I need to calm down. Yes, those two years were probably stressful for her, but Beakbreaker's a strong individual. She can cope and get through it. But then again, everyone has their limits. Not everyone is in as a high-stress position as her. Drinking might not be enough to diffuse the stress. What if she's turned to something stronger, something more dangerous? What if she's more focused on trying to cope with a stressful life than on us? What if this whole meeting is just a way for her to tell me that it's over between the two of us, and-

No! Stop it! Confound, I'm letting my imagination run wild. There's just no way to know what Beakbreaker's been up to. I just have to calm down and trust that things will work out.

The taxi continues through the streets, heading into Genesis' arts and entertainment district. While much smaller than Manehattan's, it's still filled with bars, nightclubs, dance halls, and anything else someone would want to unwind after a long day at work.

The taxi finally comes to a stop near the single, long boardwalk that connects the shops and buildings. The driver gives me directions to head to the end of the street as I exit, pay him, and hurry down the boardwalk, rushing past theaters and other entertainment venues until I finally find the lay before me, but the only thing that catches my eye is a small restaurant with the words, “Late Lounge.” flashing in blue above the door.

I swing the glass door open and step into a trendy jazz bar. It's empty at the moment, save for the bartender wiping down the wood countertop, and a small band playing a slow, moody tune on saxophones and a piano.

“Can I get you anything?” the bartender asks. He notices my badge. “We got a nice bottle I think you'll like. On the house, of course.”

“No, thank you,” I say. “I'm just here to meet a friend.”

“Ah. Well, take a seat wherever you fancy.”

Nodding, I head to a booth near the windows, giving me the perfect view of the street and glowing lamps of amber and gold. If you wanted to meet someone for a romantic evening, this is certainly the place to do it.

The band plays soft music with a romantic touch, guessing that I'm here for romance. A glimpse at the clock shows that I have ten minutes to kill.

I twiddle my hooves.

The minutes pass by one slow second at a time.

I can do this. I can do this. I just need to remain calm...

The clock hits eight thirty.

The door doesn't open, no taxi comes down the street, and I still have the place to myself. Perhaps Beakbreaker's stuck in traffic, or her driver is trying to find a place to-

A bell rings at the door as a zebra walks inside.

It's been two years since I last saw that face, that white coat with black stripes, the earring, and those glasses. But time hasn't diminished my memory of those inquisitive eyes that go over the bar.

Those eyes meet my own, and for a single instant, time comes to a stop. We look at each other for a long moment before Beakbreaker comes to the booth.

“Silverspeak?”

I nod, suddenly unable to speak.

“It's been a long time.”

I finally find my voice. “Yes. Yes, it has.”

She takes a seat. “Sorry I'm late. You wouldn't believe the traffic around here.”

I nod, unable to take my eyes off her. “You have no idea how long I've waited for this,” I whisper.

Beakbreaker smiles. “I can. I wanted to write to you, Silverspeak. I really did. But I've been so busy, I couldn't-”

I reach out with my hoof and take hers.

Beakbreaker's surprised, but she doesn't pull away.

We don't speak. The two of us sit there, hoof in hoof, looking into each other's eyes, and it's like the past two years never even happened.

The band keeps playing. The seconds hand of a nearby clock tick away.

“Well, is it just me or is this a little awkward?” Beakbreaker asks with a chuckle.

I chuckle as well. “Well,” I say, figuring that we should start slow. “Maybe we can start with the obvious. What have you been up to all this time?”

Beakbreaker rolls her eyes. “Things have been so busy you wouldn't believe it.”

“Try me.”

“Well, dealing with the fallout of the Manehattan incident, trying to keep up with Medicomp's competitors, then trying to keep up with TechInc.”

“Is that why you're here?” I ask. “To take a look their latest products?”

Beakbreaker nods. “Coin Counter would love it if I could sneak a peek at the enemy's factories and labs. But what are you doing here? I thought you'd want to have some R and R after... well, you know.”

“I'm here as an envoy for the Princesses. They'd like to have a report on what TechInc is showing.”

“Really? Silverspeak, that's great! Right after getting out, and you're already hitting the ground running! Good for you!”

I blush. “Thank you. You know, there are other things I'd like to do, now that everything is behind us.”

“Oh? Like what?”

I hesitate... No, no I can't hesitate. I haven't waited this long and dreamed of this moment to freeze up now. I've got to just tell the truth. “Beakbreaker, I know it's been a long time since we've seen each other, but... I'd like to try and pick up where we left off.”

Beakbreaker's smile fades a little. “Actually...”

No. Oh no, she couldn't-

“... I've been thinking about what would happen when you got out. I mean, two years is a long time. It's been so long that we might as well start over. A clean slate, so to speak.”

A waiter comes up and gives us two glasses of water.

“Why don't we reintroduce ourselves? I'll go first.” She takes a sip. “My name is Beakbreaker, and I'm a lead scientist for the Medicomp corporation. But I wasn't always like that. There was a time where I was living in a tiny apartment and despairing that I would ever get anywhere in life. I felt so alone and unwanted. But then came along someone who helped me accomplish my dreams, who stuck with me when no one else would.”

I can't help it. I smile.

“But then I learned a few things about him: His selfishness. His scheming mind. His zeal. I almost left him... But then he risked his life for me, and was willing to give up his own dreams to save me from a maniac when he could have just walked away. And I realized that beneath the selfishness, there was a good heart and a good soul, someone who, given time and opportunity, could prove himself to be someone great. I'd like to get to know that pony again.”

She lets go of my hooves.

“All right, now it's your turn.”

I had known for a long time that my actions before and during the Manehattan incident had hurt Beakbreaker emotionally, but until now I didn't know how extensive it had been. How am I supposed to address that? Apologizing seems like the most logical choice, but to just say it without context won't have much effect. I need to be more tactful... Perhaps I could use my charm on... No. No, absolutely not, not on her.

Beakbreaker waits.

Perhaps honesty is the best course of action. She was honest with me, and I've got to do the same.

“My name is Silverspeak,” I say. “I'm the only earth pony ever born in my hometown of Saddle Lanka. I was shunned and seen as an embarrassment. I never had any real friends when I was growing up, but when I moved to Manehattan, I found someone with a gift to share, and no one to help it get out there. It would be a win-win situation. She would get her gift out there, and I'd get what I wanted: to become a unicorn, or even an alicorn... But when I worked with her, she treated me as an equal. Nobody had ever done that before. And then she began to get interested in me as a friend... My very first friend. And then the horn and the wings didn't seem quite as important as before. But when she took away what I had spent my entire life searching for, I lost my temper and hated her.”

I take a moment to wipe away the sweat on my brow. Celestia, I wish I didn't have to tell her this. “I was angry... But now, all these years later, I can see that she was just trying to help me. And that if she hadn't, things could have gotten even worse than they turned out. And when I had a choice to make, I wanted her to live more than I wanted to fulfill my dream.”

I take her hooves once more.

For a long moment Beakbreaker doesn't say anything.

She squeezes back.

“I'd like to get to know that pony again.”

I smile.

Beakbreaker's watch beeps.

“What, already?”

“What is it?" I ask. "What's wrong?”

Beakbreaker groans. “I have to get back to my hotel and ready my report for Coin Counter. I was hoping we could have dinner, but it looks like it'll have to wait for another time.”

“How about tomorrow?” I quickly ask. “Would that work for you?”

“Oh yes, it would. But it would have to be someplace cheap,” she checks her purse. “Getting a hotel room at the last minute cost more than I expected.”

“You can come to my place. I'm staying at a penthouse near the very top of the Monolith.”

Beakbreaker's eyes go wide. “You're staying there?! Silverspeak, that's TechInc's base of operations! How'd you get in there?”

I hold up my badge. “Being an envoy for the Princesses does have its perks.”

“Well, color me jealous! Sure, I'd be more than happy to go there for dinner.”

I can't wait that long! “How about lunch?”

Beakbreaker considers it. “Sure, I can do lunch. How about we meet up at 11:30?”

“I'll send a cab to pick you up.”

Taking a piece of paper, Beakbreaker scribbles a note. “Here's the hotel I'm staying at.” She slips it to me, then stands. “It was wonderful seeing you again, Silverspeak.”

“As it was seeing you, Beakbreaker.”

She smiles. “You know, my tribe would say that if we have met again after so long, it is not by chance or luck alone.”

Then, giving me a little wave, she walks out the door and into the night.

***

I barely feel my legs as I head back to the taxi, and I almost feel like I could float away with it as the craft flies back to the Monolith. I barely even notice when I'm trotting back through the halls of the Monolith. I don't even remember getting off, but who cares?

My parents are waiting for me outside the door to my penthouse as I skip out of the elevator.

“Well?” Mom asks anxiously. “How'd it go?”

I don't bother hiding my smile. “Wonderful!”

“Atta boy, Silverspeak!” Dad says. “So, the two of you talk things over?”

“Oh yes. And we're going to be meeting up again tomorrow for lunch!”

“That's fantastic!” Mom says. "But how did... well, things go? What were your first impressions?

"Good," I say. "A bit slow, but I think we're off to a good start."

"Good. Now, don't rush anything, and don't do anything foolish: You need a friend after all these years, and the two of you were just so perfect together. If you could get things going again, it would be so wonderful for the both of you.” She takes Dad's hoof in her own. “Finding your father was one of the best things that ever happened to me.... I can't even imagine where I'd be today if we weren't together.”

Dad blushes, and the two kiss.

If luck and fortune are on my side, Beakbreaker and I will be like that someday.

“Well, we'd better be off to bed,” Dad says. “Long day, you know?”

“Oh yes!” I say. “But what a great one!”

Chuckling, Mom and Dad head to the elevator, waving goodnight as they go. Waving back, I go into the penthouse and eat a fast dinner before heading to bed. The events of the past hour have given me a surge of energy, making it impossible to sleep, but I don't mind. It gives me a chance to just lie there and indulge in my fantasies about what may yet come to pass if Beakbreaker and I keep seeing each other. And from what she said, and the signals I got from her, she wants to do it.

Figuring that I should at least try to get some sleep, I finally get out of bed to see if the cabinets in the bathroom have some sleep aids-

Wait. The orb box is glowing from the inside. Oh no! My report to the princess! I dash over and yank the orb out; it's glowing with a steady pulse of light; I rub it three times, and the feeling of ice water rushes through me as the bedroom becomes a hazy blur.

“Silverspeak.”

I turn as Princess Luna emerges from the ether. “Your Highness! This is about the report isn't it?”

Luna nods, puzzled. “I expected it some time ago.”

Even in non-corporeal form, I can still blush. “I apologize for that, your Highness, but I... Well, I ran into an old friend of mine.”

“You are referring to Beakbreaker?”

I nod.

"She came by shortly after you left for Genesis."

"You told her where I was?"

She nods. "While I have no objection to the two of you spending time together, the purpose of your visit is to investigate TechInc.”

“Of course. I'm meeting the CEO tomorrow morning, and I'll be able to give you my first report in the evening.”

Luna nods. “Please send it to me as quickly as you can.”

Something's strange about her tone. “Is something wrong, your Highness?”

“We have had another rogue changeling attack in a town far to the west. We have managed to contain it, but my sister and I had not suspected that Chrysalis' forces would spread this quickly. Remember, Silverspeak, we must find out if she is working with TechInc to obtain weapons or equipment that could aid her cause.”

The ether behind her shimmers.

“I must go, Silverspeak. Be safe.”

Before I can answer, the room shifts, and I'm back in the physical world once more, Luna's words echoing in my ears. There was another attack? But how? Shouldn't Chrysalis' changelings be too few in number to mount another assault so quickly? Maybe they're not so weak as Luna thought; maybe there are thousands, or tens of thousands just waiting for the right time to strike and wipe out our defenses... or worse, blend in and gradually replace everyone until it's too late for us to do anything.

I head to the window and take a deep breath of the fresh air. With all the security features around me, Genesis should be safe from the Changeling threat below, but what if Chrysalis dispatched many of them to sneak aboard the ships coming here, so as to spread throughout the city? What if they're already carefully replicating everyone around them?

Gulping, I close the window, then lock the front door. Hopefully my investigation tomorrow will reveal nothing suspicious or menacing.

I hope.

Author's Note:

Random Fun fact: I wrote Glasseye while imagining him to sound like David Niven.

For all of you who have trouble seeing updates to the story, I contacted one of the moderators of the site about that issue, and was told that a forthcoming update should resolve the problem.

Also, I want to thank all of you who have added The Monster Below to so many groups on the site! Don't know what caused such a surge, but it's very gratifying!