• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 3,652 Views, 401 Comments

From Dusk to Night - KuroiTsubasaTenshi



Trouble. It follows me around like an unwanted pet. The kind of pet liable to maul my friends' faces. So I tried to face the demon alone. But no one can face life alone and my friends... They're less fragile than I gave them credit for.

  • ...
9
 401
 3,652

PreviousChapters Next
88 - Hopes

The mood was as somber as the safe rooms were musty. We were going to war. A faked war where the majority of the casualties were going to be zombies—but a war nonetheless. I’d never really dealt with fighting on this kind of scale, but if there was one thing I did know for certain: there were more ways my plan could go wrong than I cared to count. As such, I constantly found myself in our makeshift strategy room, poring over the map. Contingencies on top of contingencies.

I felt bad. Even more than myself, Night seemed like he wanted time together, yet I was constantly sending him out to check one thing or another. Normally, I’d have asked Ivory to post a few of the zombies she’d been trickling in through the wilderness entrance in places where she could check for me. However, the body double seemed to demand as much attention from her as the strategizing did of me, so I was left making the others scurry about.

Star and Merri seemed to be enjoying this a bit more than I might have liked to admit. I suppose the whole affair was essentially their profession and the little extra suggestions and observations they brought back put me more at ease. Still, thinking about it too deeply brought me full circle.

I was going over the map for the umpteenth time when the door creaked open and shut. I glanced up to see Feather Reed, full barding and saddlebags on. After a moment, it also clicked in my mind that it was already midnight.

“It’s still quiet. Perhaps too quiet. Whatever their preparations, expect them to be thorough,” she said, trotting over to the table. “How long have you been at this? I could start a betting pool on which of you or Ivory will pass out from exhaustion first.”

“I’ll be taking a break soon.” I smiled grimly. “Thanks for your concern. But everyone is working hard. I can’t afford to slack off. I… I won’t let anyone die.”

“Mmmm.” Feather Reed nodded, though her mind was clearly elsewhere. “I understand. There have been many times where I pushed myself, trying to solve that last piece of the puzzle, because the longer that murderer remained at large, the more ponies could die. But I always try to remember something my captain told me: ‘Longer is not inherently better. If you don’t at least stop to rest, you may make a decision you'll regret.’”

“Sound advice. Which is why I plan to sleep after I go over this route one more time.” I patted the map with the tip of my wing.

“I’ll hold you to that,” Feather Reed said, settling down in one of the chairs. Her muzzle wrinkled for a moment before she reached into her pack and produced a scroll. Setting it on the table, she unfurled it. “I have also come to a decision.”

My conclusions are as follows:
The Necromancer, though not of mean ability, has had her abilities greatly exaggerated by the legend. While this does not render her harmless, the nature of her personality means she is currently of minimal threat. The greater issue is posed by the machinations of Mayor Prideful Policy, who obsesses with removing her from this land. To that end, I plan to bring the Necromancer in for an interview, that we might properly assess her motives. In the meantime, I request that reinforcements be sent to Pasture, to relieve the Mayor of his duties before he causes further harm.

-Sgt. Reed

I narrowed my eyes. “‘Bring her in for an interview’? You mean arrest her?”

Feather Reed sighed. “I’d prefer she come in willingly, for her sake. I cannot guarantee that what she says won’t get her arrested, but this is the best chance for her to tell her side of the story to ponies with the power to set things right.”

“Why should we trust them?” I frowned. “My experience has been pretty mixed when it comes to who in the Guard will abuse or uphold their duties.”

“You can trust my captain.” Feather Reed looked me straight in the eye.

“On what basis?”

“I learned everything I know from her. Ponies who simply sit back and leech off their positions do not bring so much in-depth knowledge and techniques to their students.” When her words didn’t move me as quickly as she liked, she reached into her pack. “Plus, she’s invested enough in the success of this operation that she had the quartermaster procure something that is technically several levels above my paygrade.”

She set a flask on the table, the corked contents consisting entirely of green flame.

I blinked, the realization dragging my exhausted mind along behind it. “That’s…”

“A direct link to High Command.” Feather Reed smiled proudly, though it drooped a little as she added, “I’m not exactly sure how it works, but I was told that in dire circumstances, I was to place my report within the flames and that it would reach High Command within the hour.”

My nod was slow, my mind's entire train station departing at the same time. After a few moments, they all began arriving at the same destination, bringing with them the warmth of relief. This hadn’t just been sanctioned by High Command. This had been sanctioned by the highest of commands. Feather Reed was far more right than she realized: if there was anyone who would give Ivory a fair say, this was the person. And chances were, Feather Reed wasn’t on this assignment by pure happenstance, either.

A tired smile spread up my face. “I understand. In that case, I’ll do my best to convince Ivory to give her a chance.”

It was Feather Reed’s turn to raise an eyebrow. “You gave in rather easily.”

I nodded. “You played your trump card and you’re right: they don’t just trust anyone with that.”

---

I didn’t so much walk as shuffle back to one of the three rooms we’d set aside for people to sleep in. To be honest, none of them could have qualified for proper bedrooms, but then again, none of them really were. These particular rooms just happened to be the ones where it was easiest to get the crates and furniture just far enough out of the way to get our bedrolls laid out.

The door creaked as I nosed it open and a blue form rose from between two antique dressers, the single candle on the right one barely illuminating him. Though Night was still weighed down by the blanket of fatigue, he hurried over, meeting me halfway for long overdue nuzzles.

“Sorry I kept you waiting,” I said.

“It was worth it.” He grinned tiredly.

“How are you holding up?” I asked.

He gave me a concerned look. “How am I holding up?”

With a smirk, I shook my head. “‘So tired that we’re worrying each other’, for both of us, then.”

Night let out a little sigh. “Better than worrying because you’re in danger.”

“I know the feeling.” I pressed into his mane. “Which makes it even more important that we take advantage of this now. Once the battle begins, we won’t be able to rest until we’re well clear of the fighting—maybe not even until we reach Iron Shoe.”

He grimaced. “You don’t think the fake Ivory is going to work?”

“I don’t know.” I stared at the floor. “This whole plan stands on a razor’s edge. I can only guess at how the mercenaries will approach, but if they do too much that's unexpected, we’ll have to adapt, likely retreat. If we’re lucky, the double won’t be compromised and we can try again within the forest. Otherwise… I don’t know.”

Wrapping his forelegs around me, Night pulled me close. “I wish I could do more. I wish you didn’t have to do this all the time. But all I can do is be here for you.”

I smiled, wrapping a wing across his barrel. “I know. And I appreciate it.”

A light tapping at the door drew both of our gazes.

“Who is it?” I asked.

The door slid open and Merri’s head appeared. “Just us—oh, hey, Sis’, it’s bad timing. They’re about to get jiggy together~.”

Night turned bright red. “Th-that’s, um…”

“Only in your head.” Star’s eye roll was audible as she shoved her way past Merri. “I do not believe Dusky would be so irresponsible as to ‘get jiggy’ when the enemy could attack at any time now.”

“No, see,” Merri pointed. “They’re getting all cuddly and romantic and stuff. I bet they were just seconds away from the good stuff. Until you ruined the mood, anyway~.”

“If anypony ruined the mood, it is you,” Star said, shaking her head. She stopped to look us over. “Is this a bad time?”

“Maybe a little,” I began.

Merri threw up her hooves. “I knew it~!”

It was my turn to sigh and shake my head. “No, we were just talking. About our journeys—and this whole situation. Is something wrong?”

Star held up a hoof. “Nothing urgent. During one of my sister’s rare bouts of maturity, we have been discussing the situation as well, and came to a conclusion.”

“We brought you a gift!” Merri flourished, a set of what looked like scale mail barding floating up from behind Star. Each scale reflected a spectrum between each of their magic auras.

Star scowled as she tugged it away from Merri. “This was supposed to be for your wedding, but this is clearly a more pertinent time.”

I circled the barding. I’m no smith and it had been at least a year since I’d even trained in anything like it, but it definitely looked nice. Still, looks can be deceiving. “I’m… grateful, but I don’t think I’m ready to deal with any more Ostfriesen artifacts.”

“What?” Realization flashed across Merri’s face. “Oh, no, no, no. This isn’t an Ostfriesen artifact. It’s honest-to-Tapioca vengeful-ghost-free.”

I raised an eyebrow. “You sure? Where did this come from? Do you even know?”

Star held up her forehoof. “I can vouch for it. This was made by an Equestrian smith, one Platinum Anvil of Canterlot. Though the enchantment is Ostfriesen, it is my own magic. There will be no undesired effects.”

Nodding slowly, I gave Star an apologetic smile. “Sorry, just being careful.”

“Do not apologize for exercising prudence.” She shook her head, and as her eyes flitted over to Merri, guilt passed over both of their faces.

“So, what are the desired effects?” I asked.

“There is just one for now. Time was running short and careless enchantment risks destroying the armour,” Star replied. “We settled on weight reduction, since we know you like to stay light on your hooves. It should feel about half as heavy as normal. Try it.”

The barding hovered about a foot over my back. I nodded, dipping my head to accommodate the neck piece. I could definitely feel the weight settle around my barrel, though it wasn’t much worse than my flight satchels. I spun a few times, more than a little awkwardly, as I felt it out.

“Snazzy!” Merri clapped her hooves together. “How’s it feel? Like a sexy new mare~?”

I pondered. “I’m really not used to this, but I think it’s light enough that, all in all, if I can find a couple hours to practice, I’ll be comfortable enough to wear it into battle.”

“Excellent.” A grim smile spread across Star’s face. “If you are to be at the forefront of the battle, you should be suitably protected. These foes are not to be taken lightly.”

Night nodded. “I prefer you without the barding, but if it has to be this way, I’d rather you be alive.”

“Don’t even say it.” Star gave Merri a sideways glance.

“Oh, fine, I’ll refrain from saying that Lover Boy here prefers naked Dusky butt.” Merri smirked. “Oh, wait. Oops~.”

Colour flooded Night’s face once more.

PreviousChapters Next