• Published 12th May 2014
  • 537 Views, 2 Comments

A Crystal Legacy - Nevermind1



The king of a prosperous kingdom is overthrown, and with his defeat comes the end of the royal dynasty.

  • ...
 2
 537

Prologue: Rebellion

Being the leader of a prosperous land is no easy task. It involved making hard decisions that usually angered some ponies. Being the one in charge, having to make all the heavy choices and hoping the subject would understand was stressful, and often made the pony on top seem like a cruel monster, but it had to be done. Crystal Lattice was the pony on top. He was the king of the Crystal Empire, and was generally considered a tough leader, merciless and strong. In reality, he was a simple pony, a loving father and grandfather, and a warm personality, but only with his family. But the crystal ponies had no need for a warm ruler. After seeing his father lead the kingdom to utter devastation with his warm and considering leadership, Crystal Lattice vowed he will not make the same mistakes. Under his stern rule, the Crystal Empire became a prosperous and strong land. Unfortunately, this meant that Crystal had to act cold and tough with his subjects, and the crystal ponies quickly learned to fear him.
Several moths ago, a unicorn was found guilty of murder. Crystal sentenced the cruel unicorn to death. The unicorn's brother, Sombra, was devestated by the news of his brother's impending execution; he begged and pleaded for his brother's life, even in exchange for his own, but to no avail. At the execution site Sombra was anything but calm as he shouted words of encouregment to his brother, telling him to stay strong. The sight broke the king's heart, but he knew he was doing the right thing. Sombra ran out of the scene as soon as the axe went down on his brother's neck. Crystal thought, and hoped, that this would be the end of it, but unfortunately, Sombra was not planning to forgive anytime soon.
At first it was only a small riot at the foot of the castle organised by the bitter unicorn, but what began as a reletively small protest soon evulved beyond it. Soon, others started gaining courge and also stood up against the, what they believed to be, fierce leader, and the riots grew in scale. Slowly, the protests turned to violent assults of royal guards and royal family members. When the king's eldest son was killed in one of the riots, Crystal realized he had to do something. And so began a full scale civil war between the rebels, lead by Sombra, and the supporters of Crystal Lattice's rule, lead by the Crystal army.

Crystal was sitting on his throne, stroking his white beard, lost in the memories of the time he was just a prince. He couldn't help but smile at the memories. Where has it all gone... he thought to himself as he looked around at the guards, all standing around him, ready for any intruders that may come. I should have seen this coming... He thought, They can't possibly understand... I should have known this would happen... His thoughts were interrupted by loud screem as a gaurd came running into the room.

"The rebells are coming for the throne room, your majesty." The guard yelled, "They made it past our defences and they are headed this way! They are being lead by Sombra, and they seem to outnumber us!"

The head of the guards started barking orders at every direction, the room was preparing itself for a tough battle. Crystal, however, was not phased by the news. He sat up in his throne and looked straight at the room's only entrence. When the rebbels arrived, he watched as every single one of his personal gaurds was striked down. He did not move the whole time, and wondered why they didn't kill him yet. Proably saving me for last. He thought to himslef. They were confident that they had won, and that the king would not attempt to escape. They were right.

As the last of the gaurds was killed, and the storm in the room setteld, Sombra rose from the crowd of rebbels and walked up to the king. The room was completely silent as the black unicorn approched the king's throne.

"Sombra. It's been some time since we last met." said Crystal when the leader of the revolution stopped just infront of him, "Is that black magic I see? Is that how you managed to surpass my defences?"

"Crystal Lattice!" Sombra shouted at the top of his lungs, ignoring the king's words, "We are here to end your rule of terror! We eill be freed from you tyranny once and for all! We are not your subjects anymore! You lost!" The unicorn's words echoed thrugh the room, sending shivers down the spines of the other rebbels in the room, but Crystal remaind still in his throne.

"You can strike me down, Sombra. I probably deserve it. But tell me this: will killng me really satisfy your anger? Or will it only enhance it? When there is no one left to blame for your brother's death, what will you do? I am not attempting to distract you or save myslef. I welcome my death, but I wanted to warn you of the dangers in your future. Dark magic is no joke. I can only hope you'll make the correct choices in future." And with these words, Crystal stood up from his throne, giving the room one last look.

"Die now, monster!" Yelled Sombra. As soon as the words left his mouth, a green beam of light came from his horn and ingulfed Crystal Lattice, and the crystal king turned to dust in seconds. Sombra slowly turned to face the crowd.

"Tonight, we have vanquished the evil that is king Crystal Lattice!" He shouted, as the room filled with cheers and yelles of victory.

Non of them could have possibly known just how right the king's dying words were...

Author's Note:

I've had this idea for months now and finally decided to write it down. If I had any spelling/grammer mistakes please let me know, I hope you enjoyed the prologe. Expact more of this story later. :raritywink: