• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 2,279 Views, 65 Comments

The Darkness Within - Natsumushi



Fluttershy has been acting very strange lately and it doesn't look she's eating properly either. What's going on with the timid mare?

  • ...
4
 65
 2,279

Lost in the Echo

Rainbow Dash combed the skies in an attempt to find Fluttershy, pushing her limits to maximum capacity. She needed to find Fluttershy, she needed answers! Twilight was less than helpful in explaining how this could have happened, Pinkie was brooding in her room, AJ was obviously out of commission and Rarity was watching the crusaders while Rainbow did what she was doing now.
She knew something was off the moment Fluttershy woke up yesterday morning.

'Strawberry and passion fruit my flank...' She mentally swore.

'Why the heck wouldn't she tell me? ME! Of all the ponies out there, and she never considered saying a damn thing! How long has this really been going on for? Did she do those attacks the night before? NO! Fluttershy would never maim anypony, she couldn't stomach it. It had to be the other thing.'

As she finished her internal conversation, she noticed Pinkie was actually out near Twilight's Castle, her mane having a bit more bounce than earlier.

"P-Pinkie?" She said to herself and dove down to greet her.

"Pinkie, what're you doing her? And by yourself?! You know there's a two pony rule in effect."

Pinkie, startled, jumped up and spun in place to face Dashie. Shock was soon replaced by teary relief as she threw herself onto Rainbow and cried into her coat.

"Whoa, whoa Pinkie! I'm not mad, just I was just concerned. I thought you were at home trying to get some sleep."

"Oh Dashie! So much has happened since this morning! I-I-I went home, then was attacked by a burnty-corpsy-bat pony and...and she...she..."

"...shebitmyneckandstartedtosuckmybloodandthefurandstubbyripedoffhoovesregrewandshegrewfuragainanditwassotandsilkyandshewashotandlokkedkindalikeaprincessbutnotreallyandthingsgotweird,evenforme!ButthenwestartedmakingoutandonethingleadtoanotherandthenIwasinadreamthatwasreallythefutureandIwasvisitedandnowweneedtogowithTwilighttoseeZecoraandIfeellikeIcheatedonyoubecauseIloveyouandnowI'mallconfusedanddon'tknowhowIgothereorhowtotellyouaboutmysplitpersonality!"

"PINKIE! STOP! Slow down! I barely caught any of that!" Rainbow exclaimed as Pinkie's barrage of words left her feeling light headed and dizzy.

Pinkie just took a deep breath and said, "Please hold me." And nuzzled into Dashie as she let quiet sobs escape her lips, allowing her own confusion and worries ebb away in Rainbowdash's embrace.

"There, there...we'll get to the bottom of all this pinks. I promise, cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

***

The halls of Twilight's Castle echoed the sound of books and the rustling of pages as the Princess of Friendship urgently scoured her tomes for any and all information in regards to the Spider pony as well as to Fluttershy's unique symptoms. She had been so obsessed to fix this anyway that she could that she neither noticed the tears pouring down her face nor even the sound of several hoof-falls quickly approaching her study.

"TWILIGHT!" Rainbow Dash yelled, pulling her back to reality. She turned quickly to see Pinkie and Rainbow before her, their faces etched some level of urgency as well.

"W-what is it Rainbow?" She asked.

"Pinkie knows where Fluttershy is!" Dashie exclaimed. Pointing a hoof to the pink pony. Twilight trained her eyes on her before asking ," Where is she! Is she okay? Are YOU okay? Please Pinkie!" Twilight nearly shouted, not realizing how close to Pinkie's muzzle she was.

"Twi, give her some space. Now where is she Pinkie?" Rainbow Dash said as she gently pushed Twilight back from the party pony.

"Okay, but you guys can't go bursting in. She's in a very...a very sensitive state. And probably a mildly ravenous one too. She's currently in my bedroom; resting. I don't think she'll wake up until it gets dark outside, so I'm pretty sure we have time before she decides to go off some where." Pinkie replied as the other two mares breathed a sigh of relief. Then Twilight suddenly looked even more worried.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CAKES!? Pinkie, if she's still bloodthirsty what will happen to them!" She cried and shook Pinkie.

"Don't worry Twilight, I got that covered." She replied as she settled herself from Twilight's shaking. Inquisitively, the lavender mare tilted her head, "How?"

Pinkie blushed heavily and coughed into her hoof, "Don't worry about how I took care of it, just trust me when I say I have. Please Twi?" Pinkie responded, her voice betraying her as shame and guilt seemed to drip with every word she spoke.

Twilight and Rainbow both caught the tone of her voice and looked at each, but through some empathic link the two decide to let it be for the moment.

"Okay, we'll trust you. But if anything happens or changes, let us know as soon as possible. I've got a lot of research to do, and hopefully I'll have a solution for at least her. Rainbow, go with Pinkie and keep her and The Cakes safe in case Flutter...bat...losses control."

"Princess! Fluttershy is not some wild beast! She has shown a great deal of self-control!" Pinkie protested, then quickly covered her mouth, fear evident in her eyes.

"Srry." She muffled.

"Uh...Pinkie, you okay?" Rainbow Dash questioned, her suspicion growing.

"yeppitty yep yep! All good, eheheheh! Just...STRESS! That's right, just good old stress! Well let's let Twilight get back to work! Maybe you can help me get rid of some of this stress Dashie!" She awkwardly chuckled as she took dash by the hoof and ran out dragging her along for the ride.

"O...kay?" Twilight said to nopony in particular.

"That was weird, even for Pinkie." Spike commented as he waddled up to his guardian, a letter in claw.

"Yeah...Is that a letter from Celestia?" Twilight said as she snapped out of her stupor.

"No, I took a peek while you were occupied with those two. It's from one of Luna's hoofmaidens, who also caught wind of our situation and searched the Canterlot Library and archives. You're not going to believe this." He said as Twilight took the message with her magic and read it.

In the letter was enclosed a photograph of a beautiful mare with a pale blue coat and a pale peach mane wearing glasses and a white lab coat. Next to her was a cage filled with Star spiders with a caption:

Star Weaver, a Neighponese Entomologist, found what she believes to be the key to anti-venoms everywhere. Recent study show that certain compounds within the star spider's venom can hold the key to counteract venom from victims bitten everywhere.

The second was a newspaper clipping of a terrible accident that happened at her labs. Her body was never found, but shortly after strange sightings occurred, followed by a strange illness. Those who were afflicted started to have plate-like growths and deformations, there are no known survivors. And soon the sightings vanished just as quickly as they began, along with the disease.
These articles were dated around the time twilight was just a foal. Around the time Applejack lost her parents.

Dear Princess Twilight,

We here at Canterlot have received your letters on your current situation in Ponyville. However, due to circumstances I cannot explain to you via letter, I wish offer you aid as both rulers are currently indisposed. I would like to formerly extend an invitation to you to meet me in the Canterlot library. I have more information for you, but be warned, it may raise more questions than answers.
-a hoofmaiden to Luna, and a friend.

"What're gonna do Twi? It sounds fishy." Spike commented.

"I know, but what other lead do we have? I have to go, all of Ponyville depends on us, possibly all of Equestria as well."

"Be careful Twi, we need you." Spike cautioned, then threw his arms around her.

"I will Spike. If any of the others ask for me, tell them I'll be back shortly. " she answered him, returning the embrace. With a final nuzzle and renewed determination, she was off, leaving Spike a laundry list of things to do and to research in her absence.

"I will save you, all of you." Twilight encouraged herself, before taking flight to Canterlot.