• Published 3rd Jul 2014
  • 1,140 Views, 3 Comments

Flipped - zyr1987



While the mane six vacationing in The Crystal Empire on "official business," a bright light shines through the empire and causes everyone's opposite sex self to appear within.

  • ...
5
 3
 1,140

Arrival in the Empire

Princess Twilight Sparkle and seven of her friends were moving from the Crystal Empire's train station to the Crystal Palace. The eight ponies had been invited by the ruler of the empire officially to inspect the preparations for the Equestria Games, but actually for a week long vacation and chance for Cadance to spend time with her sister in law and her friends.

Traveling with Twilight and her five closest Ponyville friends were two very interesting VIPs. The first was big name entrepreneur Fancypants, who had been invited by Rarity the second she had heard about the invite. The second was his roommate, and Fluttershy's marefriend, Fleur de Lis, who had practically invited herself when she heard they were going to the beautiful Crystal Empire (though she did ask for permission from Cadance and Fluttershy's friends to come with them).

At the moment, though, Fleur was less concerned with the beauty of the empire than with something behind her.

“Calm down, Fleur,” Twilight said, “I'm sure Princess Luna isn't angry at you for the candy bowl incident.”

“How do you know? Did you ask her?”

“No, but she had an opportunity to punish you on the train and she didn't do it then.”

“Well, maybe she's just waiting to pass judgment on me in a more official venue!” Fleur said, sounding just as nervous as before.

Rainbow Dash said, “Calm down. Luna's cool. She won't punish you over some silly mistake from six months ago, otherwise she would have sent me to jail the night I was pulling my thundercloud antics a year and a half ago.”

Fleur didn't respond, but her focus seemed to shift to what was in front of her rather than behind her. Applejack asked, “By the way, why didn't Spike come?”

“They're building a statue dedicated to his saving the Crystal Heart from King Sombra and Cadance wants to keep it a surprise. It's supposed to be ready by the start of the games,” Twilight said.

“Oh.”

Soon they passed the Crystal Heart and were making their way up the steps to the entrance to the surprisingly fortified Crystal Palace. A guard approached, and Twilight passed the invitations to him. After looking them over he opened the front doors for them to enter. Fancypants commented, “They're obviously serious about security.”

“Considering what happened at the royal wedding and with King Sombra, is it that surprising?” Rarity asked.

“No, I guess not.”

They walked through the entrance lounge to the throne room where Princess Cadance was waiting, a big grin forming on her face. Twilight rushed over, yelling “Cadance!” and the two did their secret hoofshake, “Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake!”

Despite their shock and amazement towards two royals acting in a distinctly unroyal manner, Fancypants and Fleur de Lis said nothing. When the two princesses finished their dance, Cadance turned to her other guests and, Rarity thought mostly for the benefit of Fancy and Fleur, said, “And hello to you, too. Welcome to the Crystal Empire.”

“Thank you for inviting us, princess,” Fancypants said, “it's an honor to meet a pony of your stature.”

“The pleasure's all mine. By the way, where's Princess Luna? She was supposed to arrive with you.”

“Still asleep on the train, last I heard. The guards told me they were having some trouble rousing her,” Twilight said.

“That sounds like Luna. She's always been a hard sleeper. I guess while we wait for her to arrive, my guard can show you to your rooms,” Cadance said.

Said guard, who had been standing to Cadance's left, nodded and motioned for the guests to follow him.

Not two minutes after they left the throne room, a dark blue blur burst out from the lobby and stopped in front of Cadance. The pink alicorn, apparently unfazed, said, “Hello, Auntie Luna. Nice to see you woke up before your train left.”

“Yes. My guards told me that I would have a five layer chocolate cake all to myself if I arrived in five minutes starting from when they woke me,” a still panting Luna said.

“And here I thought that trick only worked on Antie 'Tia,” Cadance said with a giggle.

Luna rolled her eyes, and asked, “So, why have you invited me to your fair empire?”

“Officially, you're here to inspect the preparations for the Equestria Games, but actually, you're here because I thought you could use a vacation, and I could use some advice, and you are the pony best qualified on the subject I want help with.”

“Which would be?”

“Well, as you know, the Crystal Empire disappeared for around 1100 years,” Cadance said.

“Of course, and what does this have to do with me?”

“Two things. The first is that the empire disappeared before your millennium on the moon so you're still considered a hero here in the Empire and not associated with Nightmare Moon. The second is that, out of any living being you are the most immediately familiar with the mindset of ponies from 1100 years ago.”

“Like the crystal ponies. I see now,” Luna said.

“Yes. You're the obvious choice in helping me shift their attitudes closer to those of modern times. So will you help me?”

At this point, Twilight returned to the throne room from her suite, only having heard Cadance's question and not the preceding conversation.

“I will help you on one condition.”

Twilight was concerned that Luna was about to request something unreasonable in return for helping against some dangerous foe, but resisted the urge to speak up as Cadance said, “I'm listening.”

“You must stop calling me auntie. It is quite embarrassing to be called that, especially in front the other guests you mentioned coming.”

“Done. Also, I will see to it that you have your promised cake tomorrow. And speaking of my other guests,” Cadance said, gesturing towards Twilight.

“Oh, hello Twilight Sparkle,” Luna said, trying to put on her warmest smile

“Hi, Luna. Nice to see you're awake.”

Luna sighed and said, “I will be getting that all day, won't I?”

“Most likely.”

“Well, anyway, may I ask where the others are?”

“Unpacking in their rooms,” Twilight said as Rainbow Dash appeared.

“I see. While we're waiting, could you tell me about these two other guests Cadance mentioned? Fancypants and Fleur de Lis, I believe they were.”

“Of course, princess. What would you like to know about my dear friend, Fleur, and I?” Fancypants asked as he popped out from around the corner.

Over the next fifteen minutes, Fancy told Luna a number of details about himself and Fleur, while every other pony came back to the throne room.

Every other pony, that is, except one.

Shortly after finishing her conversation with Fancypants, Princess Luna asked, “So where is Fleur de Lis?”

“I think she's still in our room. She seemed scared of meeting you,” Fluttershy said.

“Why would she be scared of-oh, now I remember. I would like to speak with her, if I could be shown to her suite?”

“Of course. guard?” Cadance said.

“Please follow me, Princess.”

As Luna left, Cadance asked, “So why is Fleur scared of my aunt?”

Fluttershy was the first to respond, “She told me that last year, during Nightmare Night, she panicked when she saw Princess Luna approaching and tossed the candy bowl at her before running off. She thinks Princess Luna still wants to punish her for that.”

“Oh.”



Not three minutes later, Luna arrived just outside Fluttershy and Fleur's suite. The guard said, “This is her room, Princess. Yours is three doors down on the left. Please do not harm her while on Crystal Empire soil.”

“I do not intend to. I simply wish to speak with her.”

“If you say so.”

After the guard left, Luna knocked on the door. Receiving no response, she knocked again, saying, “If you are in there, Fleur de Lis, please let me in. I would like to speak with you.”

She heard the clopping of hooves near the door followed by the sound of a lock clicking and the door opening to reveal a tall white unicorn who said, “Please come in. I'll be right back. I just need to, uh...use the bathroom. Yeah,” before quickly trotting to to back of the suite and disappearing behind a nearby door.

Luna went inside and sat down at a small table, hoping Fleur wouldn't be long.

Five minutes later, Luna realized what Fleur was up to and decided to try to flush her out. She took intentionally heavy hoofsteps to the suite's front door, then open and shut it without leaving the room. A few seconds later the bathroom door opened, to reveal Fleur again, first peeking out then, when she saw Luna watching her, stepping out, obviously resigned to her fate as Luna sat back down at the suite's small table.

She sat down across from the night princess and waited for her to speak first, feeling like a filly whose mom had just found out she had destroyed a priceless family heirloom.

When she realized Fleur was waiting for her to speak, Luna asked, “So why have you been so desperate to avoid me?”

“Do you remember last year when a pony threw a candy bowl on your head and ran off in terror?”

“Yes. It was you who threw it as I recall.”

“How did-how did you know?” Fleur asked, her mouth hanging slightly agape.

“Because we spoke about it in your dream not three days ago, or have you already forgotten?”

“Wait, you were actually speaking to me in my dream? I thought it was just the jellied toast I snuck before bed acting up.”

“I was, yes, though only because I sensed you were having a nightmare and wished to help you resolve it,” Luna said.

Fleur visibly relaxed and asked, “So you were never angry at me for throwing a bowl at you?”

“Not at all. Your reaction to meeting me was nothing unusual, considering all the ponies who are afraid of me even now.”

Fleur said, “Oh. Anyway, sorry for putting you through all of this”

“It is fine. Regardless, I think the others are waiting for us in the throne room.”

Fleur nodded and walked towards the door, holding it open for the dark alicorn when she reached it.

Luna thanked her and stepped out, noting Fleur was walking behind her instead of beside her after shutting the door to the suite. When she slowed her pace to let Fleur catch up she heard the hoofsteps behind her slow as well.

She decided to ignore this, despite wanting to speak further with the supermodel, and instead focused on getting back to the throne room, where Twilight and her friends were waiting for them. Picking her pace back up, she made her way down the long hallway that would lead her back there.

Soon they reentered the throne room, finding everyone still waiting and chatting amongst themselves. When Cadance saw that the two missing ponies had returned, she said, “Now, while we're all here, I would like to say a few words and then you can return to your conversations. First, welcome to the 'official inspection' of preparations for the Equestria games. I hope you will enjoy your time here. If there is anything you need, feel free to let myself or one of my guards know and we will do our best to accommodate you. Thank you.”

When Cadance was done speaking everyone either returned to their conversations, or started new ones. Fleur, without anyone to talk to, now that Fancy was distracted with Rarity about some sort of business matter she knew nothing about and Luna had beat her to Fluttershy, taking away her three favorite conversation partners, elected to speak with Cadance herself.

She approached the pink princess and was about to thank her for letting her come as a conversation starter when Cadance spoke first. asking, “so, are you done hiding in terror from my aunt?”

“Oui-er yes. I feel a bit silly now, though I admit I'm still a bit nervous about her finding out about my relationship with Fluttershy.”

“First off, if you would prefer to speak Prench, all four of us alicorns are fluent in it.”

“You are?” Fleur asked, making a mental note to try conversing with Twilight in Prench at some point.

“Oui. Helps when we deal with diplomatic matters. So would you prefer to use it?”

“Non, because I don't feel like confusing the guards or my friends here.”

“As you wish. Also, Lulu already knows you two are romantically involved,” Cadance said.

“What? How?”

“Fancypants told her while we waited for you to come out. Did she say anything about it to you?”

“Non,” Fleur said.

“Then I wouldn't worry about it. Speaking of my aunt, look who's coming this way.”

Fleur turned her head, and saw both Princess Luna and Fluttershy making their way over. She internally cringed and awaited the inevitable.

When she reached the duo, Luna asked, “When you get the chance, Cadance, could you tell me privately who you sense is still nervous around me?”

“What for?”

“Simply so I know who I should try to reassure that I am not to be feared.”

“Well, why wait? I can tell you that Fluttershy and Fleur de Lis are both slightly scared of you, though Fleur much more so. Also Fancypants and Rarity are both less than comfortable in your presence, and I think that's it, unless you want to reassure some of my guards as well.”

“That is okay. I would rather focus on those four this week, starting with Fleur de Lis.”

Fleur did her best to remain calm as Luna turned to face her and asked, “So, may I ask why you are still afraid of me even after our conversation in your suite?”

“I'm not scared, just nervous about how you might react to learning that I am dating Fluttershy.”

“Is there any reason I should take issue with your romantic relationship with her?”

“Aside from the fact that many in the Canterlot nobility take issue with both of us being mares, or with the fact that I'm a unicorn and she's a pegasus, or with the fact that I, a top-tier supermodel, am dating a 'lowly animal caretaker', no, no reason at all,” Fleur said, fully aware Fluttershy was well within earshot, and hoping she didn't feel betrayed.

“All those reasons you have given me only serve to remind me why I dislike most the nobility. Always looking down on those who don't fit their narrow worldview.”

“So you don't have a problem with two mares of different races and social standing dating?”

“No, I do not. Also, if you have any other concerns about myself or my views, feel free to discuss them with me. I will do my best to ease those concerns,” Luna said, in her most reassuring tone.

“Okay. I'll do that if I need to.”

Luna then turned her attention to Fluttershy, who suddenly felt like melting into the ground. It was fine when they were having a casual conversation, though it became a bit uncomfortable when conversing about Fleur's fear of the princess. Now, though, with Princess Luna wanting to get much more personal, she was scared. When Luna asked, “May I ask why you are still scared of me as well, dear Fluttershy?” Cadance decided to interrupt.

“I think a less direct approach than outright asking why they're afraid of you might be more helpful. See how scared Fluttershy is?”

Luna looked more closely at Fluttershy, and saw how obviously nervous she was. She said, “Point well taken. I think I will, um...introduce myself to your other guests.”

“Probably a good idea.”

As Luna walked away, Fluttershy said, “thank you.”

“No problem. By the way, I'm curious about your relationship with Fleur.”

Fleur spoke up first, asking, “what do you want to know?”

“Well, what I'm most curious about is how a top tier supermodel and the beauty columnist for the Canterlot Times ended up with a 'lowly animal caretaker', as you put it,” Cadance said.

“Now I hear Canterlot insults coming from a princess. Merveilleux,” Fleur said with a roll of the eyes.

“Sorry, I didn't know how else to put it.”

“Fair enough. Anyway, to answer your question, blame Rarity. She was the one who set us up on a date in the first place, about a year ago.”

“What was the story behind that?” Cadance asked.

“Well, I had recently come out as bisexual to my closest friends, Fancypants and Rarity among them and, due to a misunderstanding, had given up on getting a date with Fancy himself.”

“A misunderstanding? Of what sort?”

“Nothing serious, I just thought he had started dating another mare that came around once a week in the evenings. Turned out she was just a business associate that happened to be a serious workaholic, which I only learned after I started dating Fluttershy. When I mentioned this to Rarity, she mentioned another friend of hers that she could set me up on a blind date with, a former model with a heart of gold. Now imagine my shock when I heard it was my favorite model from before I made it big,” Fleur said.

“And I assume she was already out as a lesbimare, or at least bi herself.”

“I came out as a fillyfooler to my friends about six months earlier, about a month after Rainbow Dash, and three months after Pinkie came out as bi,” Fluttershy said.

“And how did Rarity sell you on dating Fleur?”

“When were going on a short trip to Canterlot together, she said she had set me up on a date with one of her clients who happened to be a famous model, and that I would like her.”

“And your response to learning it was Fleur de Lis?” Cadance asked, sounding fascinated.

“I wasn't sure what to think. I had seen her in some magazines posing in ads for things like shampoo and makeup. I didn't know much about her beyond that. I was also just nervous about the date itself, especially since it was a blind date.”

“And after the first date it was off to the races?” Cadance asked.

“Eh, pas vraiment. I wasn't quite comfortable coming out as bisexual to the general populace yet, and because of my concern about that and other matters, managed to come off as cold and unfriendly, while Fluttershy was obviously well out of her comfort zone,” Fleur said.

“And yet you're together now...”

“Rarity and Fancypants, working together, managed to convince us to try again, and gave us both pointers on how to make things go more smoothly the second time around. After that, it was off to the races, as you put it,” Fleur said, before seeming to get lost in a trip down memory lane.

Cadance looked at her for a second, then turned to Fluttershy and saying, “Quite the catch Rarity got you there.”

“I know. She's amazing.”

Another hour of mingling passed before dinner was announced. Shining Armor, fresh off his training session for Crystal Empire royal guard, arrived at this point and everyone sat down at a very large dining table, with far more places than, Cadance, Shining, and their eight guests needed. When Rarity commented on this, Cadance said, “I'm thinking of holding my first banquet to coincide with the opening of the Equestria games. With all the diplomats coming here, I'll need all the seating I can get for one.”

“Of course.”

“By the way, I didn't get to thank you earlier for inviting us here for the week,” Fleur said.

“It's my pleasure. I'm a fan, you know,” Cadance said

“Of my modeling work?”

“Yes, and your beauty column in the Canterlot Times. I have a copy of the newspaper sent here by mail every day, and after I read all the important stuff, I turn right to it.”

“I'm flattered. Really. Having one of Equestria's most powerful ponies as a fan is high praise,” Fleur said, trying to control her excitement.

Rarity then asked, “So, Luna, what brings you to the empire?”

“Cadance thought I could use a vacation, since it has been nonstop work since I came back from the moon. Also, it deescalates my prank war with my sister, which was turning a bit destructive.”

“As in?”

“Well, before I left, my toilet was detonated by an over-energetic blast of magic as I was using it. The letter arrived as I was planning my revenge.”

“What were you planning?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“An over-energetic explosion in her bed, set to go off around midnight.”

“Wouldn't that hurt her?” Fancypants asked, shocked.

“No. Alicorns are extremely tough, physically. She would likely be a bit sore at worst.”

“Anyway, moving on,” Twilight said, “Fancy, Fleur, Luna, if you want to see the sights in the empire, I'm sure any one of us will be happy to give you a tour.”

“Including you, your highness?” Fancypants asked.

“Of course.”

This had the intended effect of starting a buzz around the table and derailing talk of Luna's prank war with Celestia which she was uncomfortable with discussing for reasons she couldn't explain. She returned to eating and chatting with her brother, already hearing the gears whirring in her friends' heads.



That night, as everyone was going to bed, the only two sharing a bedroom were conversing about their activities for the night. Fleur asked Fluttershy, “So, do you want to have sex?”

“Um...”

“It's just a simple question. Don't think I'm trying to pressure you. If you want to have sex, I'm all for it. If not, that's fine too. It's your call.”

“Um...I don't think I'm ready for that yet, but if you want you could, um...” Fluttershy said.

“Yes?”

“...Preen my wings for me?”

“Uh, sure, I guess. Just tell me what to do,” Fleur said, trying to make sense of the odd request.

Fluttershy spread her wings and turned her back to Fleur, saying, “Okay, start by...”



The next morning is when things got interesting. Save for Luna who had stayed up all night and would be up for a few hours more, everyone woke up around six, when the guards came through to let them know breakfast was in an hour. Fifteen minutes later, as they were starting their day, a blinding white light shone throughout the castle, as well as the whole empire.

When the light faded and everyone's vision began clearing, several loud screams could be heard echoing through the castle halls, and not all of them were familiar.

Author's Note:

Shining (and his R63 counterpart) does play a fairly big role in this, but I ran out of character tags.

Also there will be some M/M romance as well as M/F and F/F, just for the record, and not everyone will be using their established R63 fanon names (specifically, at least Cadance and Luna won't be called Bolero and Artemis respectively).

BTW, the site needs a rule 63 tag.

If you're curious about how the hell this idea came into being, read this blog post. I'm moving random production stuff to my blog now.

The significance of preening will be explained in the next chapter, I should point out.