• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 5,360 Views, 194 Comments

Diamond's Dusk - The Dragon Warlock



Rarity is “freed” from Nightmare Moon’s grasp, but must come to terms with what the spirit’s final strike has done to her.

  • ...
17
 194
 5,360

Prologue: The Mark

The night’s full moon shined upon Equestria. In Ponyville, however, the citizens weren’t asleep like they’d normally be at this time. Instead, they were witnessing an intense battle between the Elements of Harmony against one of their own, Rarity. The unicorn, however, was not herself, for she was possessed with the spirit of Nightmare Moon. Surrounding the dark being were her friends, each one determined to get their friend back. The five mares, and Spike the dragon, surrounded the newly christened, Nightmare Rarity, but were lying on the ground in defeat.

She was as tall as Princess Celestia, her body was as black as coal. The cutie mark on her still had three blue diamonds, but there were also some white stars that looked like diamond around them. Her eyes were tealish and resembled the shape of a cat’s. Her mane resembled that of Princess Celestia’s, but the colors were purple with a white streak in it.

Nightmare Rarity let out an icy laugh as she stood over them. “BWAH-HA-HA! There is no power that can stop me now!” she shouted triumphantly. She could feel Rarity trying to break out, but she overpowered her. “Your body is mine! You will be remembered, Rarity, but as the darkest and cruelest ruler ever known!”

Twilight, who was getting back on her hooves from the sudden fatigue, fought to stand up. “Her kindness and generosity will never be forgotten!” she cried out.

The rest of Twilight’s friends got up and backed away from the tyrant before them. They all gathered around Twilight, who was deep in thought.

An idea clicked inside her head. She turned to her surrounding friends. “Everypony listen up!” she ordered. “Rarity is scared she’ll be forgotten! We must remember her or she’ll give into the nightmare energy forever!”

Everypony nodded and closed their eyes in concentration.

Nightmare Rarity raised an eyebrow. What are those foals planning? They know they can’t free their friend now.

“Remember something, anything, you love about her!” Twilight bellowed. Her horn glowed a faint purple aura.

Pinkie thought about the time she and Rarity went to the spa, particularly when the unicorn accidentally created some bubbles in there. Even though Rarity refused to admit she did something like that, the thought of it made Pinkie giggle.

Applejack remembered last year’s Winter Wrap Up, and all the effort her friend put into making the bird nests. They did have some quarrels in the past ranging from the sleepover to the Trenderhoof incident. In her heart though, Applejack knew how much Rarity meant to her and how she could make anything beautiful.

Rainbow recalled when Rarity made her a replica of the Wonderbolt’s flight suit. Even though she wasn’t officially a part of the team yet, she was amazed by how much it looked like the real thing.

Fluttershy reminisced on how she once made an outfit for her pet bunny, Angel. The bunny wasn’t too pleased about the frilly outfit he was forced to wear, which consisted of a pink tuu tuu and bow. If there was one thing she loved about Rarity the most, it was how much effort she put into her outfits.

Twilight thought back to when Spike was at Canterlot on royal business, and she became ill. Luckily for her, Rarity came by that day to get a book and noticed the deplorable condition she was in. The white unicorn wasted no time in making sure Twilight got bed rest and made her some hot tea and soup.

All the memories and thoughts from each pony caused magical energy to emit from their heads. Each stream of magic resembled the coat colors of the ponies and had their cutie mark symbols. They all gathered around Twilight, whose horn was glowing brighter now as the energy slowly formed into one. Nightmare Rarity looked on in both anger and bewilderment.

“That’s it!” Twilight shouted.

“You’ll always be special to us, Rarity!” called out Fluttershy.

“We love you!” shouted Pinkie.

“You’re the awesomest!” Rainbow whooped. “Kick that Nightmare stuff’s flank!”

The magical energy that formed from all the memories became a beam of light. Before Nightmare Rarity could react to it, the energy beam fired and struck her, paralyzing her.

Spike then stepped forward, cautiously. but stayed behind the others. He poured out the contents inside a bag. In his claws were the broken remnants of the Fire Ruby he gave to his crush on his birthday. The thought of the ruby made Spike think back to that fateful day, when Rarity kissed him on the cheek after he saved her. The memory caused some magical energy to radiate from him, which looked like a lighter purple color with some green looking flames. It too went to the swirling cloud of energy nearby.

With a deep breath, Spike declared wholeheartedly, “You mean everything to me.”

He wanted nothing more than to see his crush return and be with him and the others. Even though he wasn’t in her hooves, he knew how scared and alone Rarity felt, and he wanted to save her. Those thoughts were powerful enough for some of the aura to emit from his claws, affecting the shattered Fire Ruby. Slowly, the gem pieced itself back together into its heart shaped form and glow brightly.

He brought the ruby towards his head and whispered, “Please come home.”

The magical energy from Spike shot towards the already crippled Nightmare Rarity. The blast hit her, causing a bright flash to erupt. The sinister unicorn looked on in horror as the beam hit her and engulf her completely.


Rarity could feel the darkness in her mind releasing its grip on her. She opened her eyes to see a bright light at the end of a tunnel and smiled.

“My friends, they do care for me!” cried out Rarity. “How could I have been so foolish? I believed Nightmare’s lies and let insecurity get the better or me. Me, of all ponies!”

Rarity could see the images of all her friends smiling down upon her. She looked at each one of them with a smile on her face and floated towards them. Right as she was about to embrace them though, an ominous dark cloud shrouded them and the area became pitch black.

“Ha! You think you can get away that easily, Rarity?”

The unicorn instantly recognized the voice and her eyes narrowed. “You!” she spat.

Right in front of Rarity, the shadow before her contorted into the face of Nightmare Moon. “You didn’t think it’d be that simple to get rid of me, did you?” She asked, mockingly.

“My friends have saved me and I have no fear that they’ll abandon me!” Rarity cried out. “You have no hold on me anymore!”

Nightmare Moon maintained the sinister smile.

“What are you smirking for? You’ve been beaten,” she said in a haughty voice.

“That much is true, but while I controlled your body, I could feel your presence. Even with how much of a deep sleep you were in.”

“What are you getting at?”

“Earlier, I had a run in with one of your friends, which caused a reaction from you. It was only a minor irritation, but you seemed worried about this one individual in particular.”

Rarity bit her lip and said nothing.

“Who is it?” wondered Nightmare in an insinuating tone. “You were very concerned about your friends, but one seems to be very important to you. If you tell me, no harm shall come to that pony then.”

Again, Nightmare was met with silence.

The spirit snickered sinisterly. “You’re just as stubborn as your pathetic cowpony friend of yours. But don’t think that ignoring me is going to save your secret. I just wanted to see what kind of a reaction I’d get from you.”

Rarity’s eyes went wide. “No! You really can’t know that!”

“I do know of it, my little pony,” said Nightmare. “It’s a secret you keep well hidden from your friends and family. But yet don’t say anything because of what you fear could happen.”

“. . . I’m not afraid!”

“You hesitated.”

Rarity’s eye twitched. “It makes no difference,” she said in defiance. “I’m not afraid of something like that.”

“Oh, yes you are. Even with how well kept this is, it’s oozing with fear.”

The white unicorn gulped a little.

“Since you refuse to give in though, I know of one last thing I can do to you before I die.”

Rarity could feel a sense of dread building in her. “What is it?”

“This.” The image of Nightmare Moon faded away, leaving Rarity alone and scared. She looked around for her, but there was nothing but darkness.

“Perhaps she was merely bluffing,” said Rarity, nervously. “My friends have shown how much they love me and there’s nothing Nightmare Moon can do now.”

“Is that so?” Rarity turned around and was met with a charging Nightmare Moon. The alicorn laughed wildly as she braced herself. Rarity held her hooves out to stop her, but there was no feeling of impact from the spirit. Instead, she felt a coldness rush through her body as she saw Nightmare Moon galloped right through her. The sensation was very brief, but Rarity felt very cold to the touch. “You may have escaped one nightmare, but this one I promise you won’t escape!”

Nightmare Moon cackled maniacally at her victim. The white unicorn tried to make sense of what happened, but before she could think anymore of this, everything went black for her.


Darkness was all Rarity could see, but a faint buzzing noise rang in her ears. She tried to open her eyes, but her eyelids felt very heavy, like she was waking up from a very deep sleep. The buzzing noise ringing started to give way to some whispers.

“. . . Wh. . . happ. . . Twi. . .”

“Ho. . . c. . . is. . . be?”

“. . .at . . . we . . . o. . . no. . .”

Rarity barely made out the voices she was hearing. Are those my friends? she wondered. They almost sound . . . concerned? Maybe they think I didn’t survive their attack.

She forced herself to open her eyes, which made everything around her look blurry and disjointed. Various colors and images swirled around the unicorn, making her feel dizzy. As she was coming to, the voices she was hearing became clearer, but she also heard something that made shivers run down her spine.

Are those screams? she asked, sounding worried. What’s going on?! I can’t even hear my friends over this noise.

Rarity pushed herself to get up, which was no easy task since she felt like she was lifting a train full of bricks. The blurry vision around her started to piece itself back together, albeit slowly. The night sky became visible. She could see dust clouds surrounding her. Her eyes, however, took notice to five colorful blurs. There was one that was teal, surrounded by a variety of colors. Another blob looked like an orange wearing a funny hat. One of the other blobs was pink and bouncing up and down.

It’ll be good to see some familiar faces after this ordeal. Maybe they can tell me what’s going on.

Her vision continued to get better as she waited anxiously to see the look of her friends. She wanted nothing more than to look at their smiling faces and embrace them in a group hug.

Pinkie will probably hug me so tight, I’ll be left breathless. Rarity chuckled to herself.

She finally managed to get up after what seemed like an eternity. Finally! I now know how it feels for Applejack after a full day of bucking apple trees.

Almost as soon as she did though, her vision finally came back to its senses, much to the delight of Rarity.

It’ll be so good see all my friends again. All those blobs looked like one of those cheesy b-movies.

She looked over at her friends, but her gaze upon them made her feel intimidated and confused.

They weren’t smiling at her, they looked angry at her.

“. . . What?” she whispered, hoarsely. “Why do they look upset?”

Rarity’s hearing also came back and was met with the sounds of ponies screaming in horror. She frantically looked around, wondering what they were so afraid of.

“Come on, girls!” called out Twilight. “We almost got her now!”

“Got her?” asked Rarity, her voice returning. “Got who? Will somepony please tell me what’s going on?”

“Twilight, do you have any other ideas?” asked Applejack. “She’s putting up a fight bigger than Winona when it’s bath time.”

“I only have one idea left,” she replied. “It’s something I didn’t really want to resort to in her state, but we have no choice.”

“What is it?” inquired Rainbow.

“We’re going to put her in stasis.” Rarity saw Twilight’s horn glowed and was aiming it right at her. The energy surrounding Twilight hummed as it got more powerful, making the unicorn more nervous. “This is for your own good!” shouted Twilight.

Rarity finally broke out of her nervous state and screamed, “TWILIGHT! STOP! IT’S ME!”

The screaming from everypony hushed and the energy around Twilight’s horn died out. The entire town fell into silence and the air around became tense. Nopony said anything to each other, but only looked at one another in confusion and fear. Twilight looked at her friends with a perplexed expression, but they looked just as lost as her.

Twilight, cautiously, stepped forward towards Rarity, looking unsure and intimidated.

Her friend, however, was the first to break the silence. “Twilight, why were you going to hurt me?” she asked, sounding a bit hurt. “You all freed me from Nightmare Moon’s grasp.”

The only response Rarity got was her friends’ jaws dropping.

“What’s with all of you? You should all be happy that I’m back now.”

Again, no response came from anypony.

Rarity couldn’t take it anymore. “Will somepony please tell me what’s going on?!” She barked. “Why is everypony so shocked to see me?! I was freed from Nightmare Moon and everypony is staring at me like some freak!” The unicorn then thought of something dreadful. She looked around frantically. “Quickly! I need a mirror to see what damage has been done!”

“No!” Twilight shouted in a panic.

Rarity broke out of her panic state and looked at Twilight. “Darling, what do you mean by that?”

“Um . . . well, you see,” said Twilight.

“You’re looking . . . good, Rarity,” added a hesitant Rainbow.

“Yeah . . . what Dashy said,” responded a surprisingly quiet Pinkie.

Rarity corked an eyebrow. “Why do you all sound so unsure?” She looked over to Twilight. “Are you sure everything is okay?”

“Um, yeah, of course,” said Twilight. “But the bigger question here is are you really back to normal?”

“Of course I am, darling,” she responded. “You all freed me from Nightmare Moon after all.” This time, there was no reply. “What seems to be the problem?”

“Well Rarity, you sound like yourself and you seem to act like yourself, but . . . “ Twilight’s words trailed off at the end.

“But, what?”

Silence.

The unicorn huffed. “That’s it! I need to know why everypony is acting so strange to me!”

She looked around and saw a silver platter in the hooves of Mr. Cake, who was holding his wife and the twins in his hooves and looked petrified. Rarity used her magic to yank it out of his hooves, which made the family yelp in fear and showed no resistance in keeping it.

“No! Wait!” Twilight yelled. She tried to catch the passing platter nearby, but it was too fast for her.

Rarity ignored her friend’s call and brought the platter up to her face. Everypony gasped in horror, some even covering their eyes. Rarity didn’t move, nor did she say anything as she looked at herself. Her expression remained neutral, with no change in it, nor any blinking.

Spike quickly ran forward. “Rarity, I know it looks bad, but you seem like your old-”

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

The scream from Rarity rang out so loud, it caused everypony to cover their ears in pain and shook the whole town. The wailing lasted for a full minute before Rarity dropped the plate and backed away, looking pale and horrified.

Twilight ran over to her. “It’s okay, Rarity,” she said, sounding nervous. “I don’t know what happened, but we’ll figure out a solution.”

Rarity shook violently and her left eye twitched wildly.

“Rarity?” Spike asked.

Next thing everypony knew, Rarity fainted, making a loud thud noise. Although she was out, the unicorn was still twitching wildly.

“She’s going into shock!” screeched Twilight. She looked up to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, who saw the outcome of the battle nearby. “We need to get her to a hospital right now!”

“There’s a hospital nearby,” said Princess Celestia. “We’ll take her there, get her treated, and try to figure out why this happened.” She looked over at the crowd. “Get an ambulance here, now!”

A pony came running out of the crowd, pulling a white wagon with a red cross on it. He stopped right in front of Rarity, which allowed two more ponies to hope out of the cart and carry a stretcher. They wasted no time in positioning the patient and placed her on it. They then carried Rarity over to the wagon.

“Wait!” Spike cried out. “I want to be with her! I need to make sure she’s okay!”

“Spike, come back!” Twilight shouted.

“Wait, kid! You can’t just—” The EMT was silenced as Spike ran past the driver and hopped into the wagon. He ran to Rarity’s side and held her hoof.

“Take it easy,” said one of the medics, tending to Rarity, in a deep voice. “We’ll do our best to treat her, but. . . we don’t think we can heal her from that.”

“Get going then!” Spike shouted. “There’s got to be something we can do!”

The medic nodded. “Heart Beat! Let’s get going!”

The cart started to move slowly at first, but quickly picked up speed. The EMTs set up Rarity’s body with various monitors to track her status, but Spike payed no attention to it as he held onto Rarity. The dragon, looking devastated, gripped her hoof.

“Rarity . . . I’m sorry this happened,” he said in a tearful voice.

He embraced Rarity in a hug, who was still stuck in her Nightmare Rarity form.