• Published 13th Apr 2014
  • 7,118 Views, 489 Comments

Beyond the Portal - Firestar463



Sergeant Kyle Slater was stationed at the Dark Portal when the attacks began. He was among the first to encounter the Iron Horde. He pursued the enemy beyond the portal, and when he did not return, was assumed dead. But that was far from the truth.

  • ...
25
 489
 7,118

Chapter 37

Kyle felt something poking at his side, drawing him from his slumber. He groaned and rolled over, presenting his back to the incessant poking. For a moment, it seemed to have worked, and the poking ceased.

But then, it began again, this time at his chest. “Pst, Kyle,” Scootaloo’s voice whispered. “Hey, the storm’s over. It’s time to go.”

Kyle groaned again and rubbed his eyes before opening them. Scootaloo was crouched down next to him, her face only a few inches from his. “Finally, you’re awake,” she muttered. “Come on. Tulstag is already up and about.”

“Alright alright, I’m up,” Kyle grunted. He sat up and twisted his head, and his neck made a satisfying pop. He glanced over across the fire pit, where only smoldering embers remained. On the other side, Tulstag was hunched over his bags, stowing a few items inside.

A wave of memories from last night rushed over Kyle, and it took an effort for him not to frown. Though he had agreed to not hate Tulstag (and indeed, he reaffirmed his decision that he didn’t), that didn’t mean that they were friends. It would take a lot more than a single day stuck in a cave and a few words from a Pegasus to change his opinion of any member of the Horde that much.

Kyle shook his head and began to pack his own things. His blanket was quickly rolled up and strapped to the back of his bag, and the few items that he had removed were returned. His maces still lay on the floor where he had been pounced two nights before, so he walked over and clipped them to his belt. He quickly finished the loaf of bread Tulstag had given him the day before and took a drink of water, preparing for the trek ahead.

Within a few minutes, Scootaloo was prepared as well. Kyle placed her saddlebags on her back, and together they set out to finish their journey. Tulstag was only a few paces ahead of them as they left, and he stopped just outside the cave.

“This is where we part ways,” he said. His expression was unreadable as he glanced back and forth between the two Monks. He extended a hand towards Kyle. “Winds be at your back.”

For a split second, Kyle hesitated, his distrust returning. It only last an instant, though, and he gripped Tulstag’s hand firmly, giving it a quick shake. “Celestials guide you, Tulstag.”

The Tauren turned and began to walk away, headed down the road that sloped gently downwards and to the east into the Valley of Emperors. Kyle and Scootaloo, meanwhile, turned and walked the opposite direction, headed back the way they had traversed during the snowstorm.

The storm had certainly made quite an impact on the area. Deep snow drifts were piled high against the mountains, spilling down into the narrow pass along which the two walked. Kyle constantly found himself plunged knee-deep into the frozen white powder, and Scootaloo was forced to hover alongside him, unable to walk through the drifts that regularly reached her neck or higher. Even so, the trek back along the path was far easier than their first trip, and the pair quickly found themselves back at the crossroads.

The path to the west, the direction that they intended to go, was miraculously far clearer of snow. The harsh winds blowing from the west had sliced through the canyon and prevented the snow from accumulating to a layer much thicker than halfway up Kyle’s boots. Scootaloo elected to continue flying beside Kyle, taking the opportunity to stretch her wings as they traveled up the path.

As the sun reached the midday point, Kyle spotted something off to his left. A series of poles embedded into the ground and connected by a thick rope, leading up a small, narrow path. “Hey, lookit,” he said, causing Scootaloo to glance at where he was pointing. “That path leads to the peak of Mount Neverest. The tallest mountain on Azeroth. Even beats out Mount Hyjal, though not by much.”

Scootaloo glanced up at the trail, which winded steeply upwards. At one point, she noticed a rain of snowballs falling from the mountain, pelting the ground below them. “Doesn’t look very safe,” she commented.

“Nope. It’s not,” Kyle agreed. “But it’s also not where we’re going. C'mon, we’re almost there.” The two set out again, leaving the mountain trail behind them.

An hour later, Kyle finally spotted what he was looking for. There, ahead on the road, were two large braziers, alright with an everburning flame that would never extinguish no matter what the elements threw at them. But it was not the braziers themselves that brought the smile to his face. Instead, it was lay just beyond them

“We’re here,” Kyle said as they stepped past the braziers. He gestured to his right, where a jagged, rocky ledge overlooked the path.

“Huh?” Scootaloo simply tilted her head in confusion. “I uh… What?”

“I know, it’s a bit confusing,” Kyle chuckled, moving towards the stone wall. “But trust me, this is the easiest way to get to the Peak of Serenity on foot. From here, we move off the beaten path.” He gripped a small handhold halfway up the ledge, and used it to pull himself upwards. He dragged himself onto the ledge and stepped away. “Alright, your turn.”

An instant later, Scootaloo soared up over the ledge, landing lightly beside him. She grinned slightly. “You made it look hard,” she said.

Kyle didn’t reply, but instead pointed up the mountain. “We’re basically headed back the way we came now,” he explained. “The slope fairly easy on the legs, and will put us over the edge just as we reach the highest point of the Peak of Serenity.”

The pair began to ascend up the mountain. As Kyle had said, the slope was fairly gentle, leading up out of the mountain pass they had been walking along. They continued moving to the north-east, slowly making their way up the mountainside. Eventually, they reached the crest of the mountain range. Scootaloo peered over the edge and let out a small gasp.

On the other side of the crest was a small, shallow valley, nestled just a few dozen feet below them between the mountain peaks. To their left, they saw a path leading downwards and to the northwest, which ended in a large, open courtyard where Monks could be seen training. In the opposite direction, a large, roofed building stood tall and proud upon the highest point of the valley. A large double door could be seen, though it was still obstructed by large snowdrifts.

Kyle looked down at Scootaloo and smiled. “Welcome to the Peak of Serenity.”

“Woah…” she said quietly, her eyes darting this way and that. “It’s… bigger than I expected.”

“We need all of this space to train new Monks,” Kyle explained as he began to make his way down the other side. The slope down into the Peak of Serenity was far steeper, forcing Kyle to effectively slide down the mountain until he hopped down onto the stairs leading up to the main building.

“It’s a lot warmer here than out there,” Scootaloo said as she landed next to Kyle, looking up at him. “Why?”

“Because of those,” he replied, motioning towards the pools of water scattered around the Peak. “Those are hot springs, heated by lava deep underground. The steam provides a respite from the cold - though not enough, apparently,” he added, glancing back up at the large snowdrift that blocked the entrance to the main building. “Looks like this way is blocked. Apparently they got hit by the storm pretty hard too.”

“So how do we get in?”

“There’s another entrance over on the other side,” Kyle replied. “It faces almost directly east, so it’s likely that it was more sheltered from the storm than this side. Plus, Monks are out there training already. That means that there must be a path open up to the main building.” Kyle began his descent down the stairs, with Scootaloo right behind him. As they walked, Kyle pointed out a few places of interest on the peak.

“Over there is the Cave of the Crane,” he said, pointing to a large opening in the mountainside. “Within that cave, Monks specialize in the way of the Crane - an unusual mixture of Mistweaving and Windwalking, though it’s technically classified as Mistweaving as well. Crane-style Monks are neither as proficient at healing as Mistweavers, nor at fighting as Windwalkers, but are able to both attack enemies and heal their allies with the same actions.”

“And up there is the Terrace of the Tiger,” he continued, gesturing to the north. A large platform had been built upon one of the mountain peaks, connected to the main building by a pair of large rope bridges. “That’s where Windwalker Monks are trained before they have been assigned a master.”

The pair entered the courtyard and began to circle around it, careful to avoid the various Monks practicing in the courtyard. “This is the main training area. It’s an open-practice arena for Monks of all skill levels and specializations. You’ll often see the Master Monks giving lessons down in this courtyard, which you’re free to join or leave as you wish during your free time. You can also challenge them or another student to a duel to resolve an argument, or just for practi-”

“Kyle Slater. It has been a while.”

Kyle’s head turned towards the voice. Standing not far away, and staring right at them, was a large Pandaren. He wore a long-sleeved, blue silk shirt over top of a dark brown leather tunic, with matching silk pants. A large belt was tied around his waist, with an orange belt buckle. He wore a leather hat not unlike the one upon Kyle’s head, and in his right hand was a large, thick bamboo staff with a flask attached to the top by a leather cord.

Kyle smiled warmly as he approached the Pandaren, and embraced him in a light hug. “Master Cheng, it’s good to see you again,” he said as he released the Pandaren.

“So it appears that the rumors are true,” Master Cheng murmured. “Everyone heard you were dead, but the past few days there have been mutterings amongst the other masters that you had returned.”

“Not dead. Not yet,” Kyle replied. “I’ve been on a bit of an adventure.”

“And found yourself a most unusual companion, I see.” Master Cheng approached Scootaloo and knelt down to look her in the eyes. “It’s not every day that you see a horse with wings.”

Scootaloo frowned slightly. “Pony, actually.”

Master Cheng’s eyes went wide, and he quickly stood back up. “And it talks!” he chuckled. “Or she, by the sound of it.” He glanced over at Kyle again. “An adventure indeed.”

“And the journey’s not quite over yet,” Kyle agreed. “But Grand Master Hight requested my presence once he learned I was still alive.”

“Well I had best not keep you or him waiting any longer,” Master Cheng smiled again. “It is always good to see one of my old pupils return from their travels, stronger and wiser than when they left. You’ve always shown promise, Kyle. You make an old Pandaren proud.”

“I aim to please,” Kyle replied, embracing the Pandaren again. “Farewell, Master.”

Master Hight turned and walked away as Kyle and Scootaloo resumed their walk towards the main building. “So yeah. That was Master Cheng, one of the Windwalker Masters here at the Peak. He was my own master back when I was still an apprentice, and a better teacher and friend I could never have asked for.”

The pair continued along the outer edge of the arena as various other Monks practiced in the center, or else taught or participated in a lesson around the outer edges. Every time they passed a lesson, Kyle noticed the Master Monks hesitate in their speech and look at him as they passed. Apparently, word had quickly spread of his survival, though why they all seemed so interested in him, he didn’t know. He didn’t even know the names of half of these masters, and yet they were staring at him as though he had just risen from the dead.

Which, in their minds, Kyle realized that he essentially had.

As they ascended up the stairs towards the other side of the main building, Kyle spotted another Pandaren standing in front of the large double doors. he wore an orange leather tunic with a matching robe legging He also wore a belt almost identical to the one Master Cheng had been wearing, but with a green buckle instead of an orange one.

As they approached, the Pandaren bowed to him. Kyle returned the gesture, and the two returned to their upright positions in unison. “You are Kyle Slater, correct?” The Pandaren asked.

“Yes. Grand Master Hight has requested my presence.”

“Indeed. I am Initiate Chuang,” The Pandaren said. “Grand Master Hight is currently attending to other matters, but will return shortly. Until then, please, enter and warm yourself. And your Pony friend, as well,” Chuang added, turning to lead them into the building.

“Hey, he actually got it right!” Scootaloo beamed.

“Indeed,” Cuang replied, apparently unfazed by Scootaloo talking. “We were informed that you are to be treated as a guest here.”

The Pandaren fell silent, leading them into the large building. It consisted of one room. Four pillars supported the roof, situated at the corners of a small, recessed section of the floor. A single Pandaren sat on the south side of the room, quietly hovering in place as he meditated. Otherwise, the room was bare save for the lamps that provided lighting.

“I shall inform the Grand Master that you have arrived,” Chuang said, moving back towards the door. They slammed closed behind him, leaving Kyle and Scootaloo alone with the old Pandaren Monk.

“Well, at least we don’t seem to need to explain who I am,” Scootaloo said. “This Grand Master Hight guy seems to already know about me.”

“Yes. And that worries me,” Kyle murmured. “He already knows that you were travelling with me, and recognizes that you are important enough to be seen by him personally as well. But why?”

“You will find out soon enough, young ones.”

Kyle and Scootaloo both turned towards the voice. The old Pandaren had stopped hovering, and was now standing and looking directly at them. He was covered from head to foot in a full set of hardened leather armor, reinforced with metal studs and strips of metal. Like Master Cheng, he wielded a bamboo staff with a flask attached to it, but wore no belt.

“Greetings Kyle Slater, Scootaloo,” The Pandaren said as he approached them. “I am Iron-Body Ponshu. Head Master of the Way of the Ox.”

Kyle bowed respectfully. “Greetings, Master Pon-”

“Simply Iron-Body, or Ponshu will do,” the Pandaren interrupted. “My name is title enough.”

“We have heard much about you in recent days, young Monk,” Ponshu continued. “Many tales of grand adventures, distant land… strange, new people,” he added with a glance at Scootaloo.

“With all due respect, Iron-Body, how did you hear of me?” Kyle asked. “We received the summons mere hours after I reconnected with King Varian.”

“You are not the only Monk among the Alliance Army,” Ponshu replied. “After the Battle at this so-called Crystal Empire, a pair of Monks returned and reported that you were alive, and had apparently been living amongst these Ponies for quite some time.”

“Right around three months,” Kyle nodded.

“Quite a story, I’m sure,” Ponshu said, turning away. “One that I and the other Head Masters shall likely hear shortly. I’d suggest you prepare your tale. And your minds as well,” he added with a backwards glance. "Your emotions have grown turbulent."

As Ponshu walked to the other side of the room, Kyle glanced down at Scootaloo. Her expression mirrored how he was feeling - nervous, anxious, and a strange mixture of anticipation and fear.

“We should probably meditate a bit,” he suggested. “Calm ourselves. Iron-Body is right. It wouldn’t do to be a nervous wreck in front of the Grand Master.”

“Yeah. Good idea,” Scootaloo agreed.

The two sat down and closed their eyes. Kyle allowed his sense to open up, and soon felt his mind leaving his body. His senses flashed through the minds of dozens of creatures, each experience lasting less than a heartbeat, and yet filling him with new sensations every time. A Pandaren, channeling the restorative mists to heal an injury. A Gnome, learning to create the brews that would allow her to protect herself and her allies more effectively. A wild rabbit, hopping through the undergrowth. An Onyx Cloud serpent, flying just close enough to the Peak for Kyle to sense it.

He even sensed Scootaloo as he meditated. Her Chi energy shone brightly, like a pyroblast just waiting to be released. Raw talent, tempered by training and put to the test by battle time and time again. True, she had much to learn, but as Kyle felt her Chi again and again, his doubt at her success began to melt away. There was no way that Grand Master Hight would deny her the right to train as a Monk. Of that he was certain.

Who her master would be, though, Kyle was uncertain.

Something soft prodded at his shoulder, drawing him from his meditative trance. He felt his backside hit the stone floor as he broke from his meditation and opened his eyes. Initiate Chuang had returned, and was standing in front of him, with Scootaloo already on her hooves. He opened his mouth and said four words. Four words that brought all of Kyle’s nervousness rushing back to him like a tidal wave.

“The Masters are ready.”