• Published 5th Apr 2014
  • 365 Views, 3 Comments

Changing it up a bit - RebelliousKuno



Isn't it great to have the power within your dreams? Where you can change whatever you want? Fly? Swift Quill had this power, just like everypony in their dreams. By day, she is an office secretary. But by night, she is a goddess.

  • ...
 3
 365

Nothing Special

The first things that Swift could see upon awaking in the morning was the rays of the Princess' wonderful sun. Ugh, she hated it. Waking up was just one of the annoying things she has to go through, not to mention work. But now the sun just decides to show up here and blind her eyes! She never bothered to close the curtains by any means, because sometimes she just liked to stare at the moon looming overhead. The dreams she was having were quite phenomenal if she said so herself. But those were going to have to wait until tonight, because now Swift had to go do her so said occupation; being an Office Secretary. Yeah, it wasn't very fun for her, but it was something at least. She wanted to become a psychiatrist. Unfortunately, the lack of bits were a problem when it came to setting up her own office in the city of Canterlot. Things here were very expensive to buy to say the least, and it was almost impossible to find room for her to set up shop.

'BEEP BEEP BEEP!'

Blast that alarm clock! That's the noise she never likes to hear, because that meant the day was starting! And she hated the day! Sighing to herself, she slowly sat up from the bed she was laying upon and looked around her. The small house in which she occupied was not a very big one. But from what she could see right now was her bedroom of course. A small desk in the corner, the walls painted bright brown, the light cocoa carpet covering the floor with all of its softness, and her bed on which she was now sitting on. Nothing special.

'BEEP BEEP BEEP!'

With a loud, frustrated groan, Swift brought her hoof up and slammed it down on the alarm clock. It stopped its beeping and went silent, now sitting on the night stand adjacent to the bed. She glared at it for a while, thinking evil shouts at which she could curse upon, but that was stripped away as she read the time. 5:43 A.M. Oh hay, she was going to be late for work! Frantically kicking the covers off her, she jumped off the bed. But this resulted her to just crash into the carpet face first. Not minding that, she quickly got back up onto her hooves and ran into the bathroom, before looking into the mirror. Her Earth Yellow coat was what seemed to be clean, so she could skip that step. Her cutie mark of a small quill with ink coming out of the tip seemed to be in order. But her Copper colored mane was another story. It was all tangled around each other, spraying everywhere in the opposite direction of her skull, and it just seemed flat out of normality!

Still panicking about the time, she quickly grabbed the comb with her hoof. She wished she was a unicorn so this would be easier, but being an Earth Pony was good enough she would think. None of the extra bones. She was getting off track! Quickly, she took the comb and started to cling onto the hair monstrosity and put it back forwards to its original design. Quickly darting out of the restroom, she looked at the clock still sitting there menacingly on the nightstand, mocking her that she was going to be late. It read 5:50 A.M.

What!? It took her that long to fix her mane!? Never mind that, she had to go go go! Scanning her eyes over to find the door, she galloped over to it and swung it open. Slamming it behind her, she looked up and down the road of the not-so-busy streets of Canterlot. It wasn't too crowded, considering she was living near the outskirts of the city as oppose to living near the castle. Swift noticed the crossroad signs that were hanging up next to her and she glanced up at it. Hayming St and Chocolate Rd.

Alright, her workplace wasn't so far from here. Just a few minutes and she should be able to make it on time! Her boss would kill her if she decided to go ahead and show up late! Looking down the street once more towards the general direction of her work, she put on a full gallop down the road. Upon doing this, she managed to accidentally bump into a few citizens, and gave her apologizes to them as she dashed by. The occasional 'hmph!' or 'My word!' was heard. She wasn't too far now, just around the corner- Aha! There it was! The building wasn't fairly big, but wasn't to small either. Feeling a lot more better, she continued her run towards the building, and she eventually got close enough to read the name of the building; Kraig's Shipping Co.

The place was kind of self explanatory. A shipping company would ship things, but here was Swift stuck behind a desk to work out the paperwork and take calls. Not the most interesting or exciting job, but it was all she had. Finally reaching the glass doors, she crashed into them, causing the doors to swing open. As she entered, she took quick breaths trying to get regain herself. She looked up at the clock above the main desk in front of her; 6:01 A.M.

She was late.. Again.. This wasn't the first time. Usually she was the goody-two-shoes and always came on time, did her job, and left. There was the occasional waking up late and showing up late excuse, and some other times it was just because she did not feel like going to work at all. That put a heavy weight on her, because her position was starting to slip from her grasp as it was.

"Late again, are we Miss Quill?" came a heavy voice over to her left. Glancing over quickly, she saw the one and only Kraig. His build not so muscular, but he could perhaps win a few fights if needed. His color style wasn't much different from Swifts, but the mane was more flicked up in the front.

"Yes... Terribly sorry about that, Kraig." said the sweet and calm voice of Swift.

"Mr. K! If you please!" He said, his voice rising slightly from annoyance.

"Terribly sorry Mr. K.. I'll get right to work then, yes?"

"Indeed. There are a few files on your desk that needs to be sorted and dealt with. Many shipments were called in here not too long ago, so we need them to be going ASAP. Once you are done with that, I need to see you in my office." And with that, he turned around and marched off into the opposite direction back towards where his office was.

Swift stood in her current position for a while, before turning her glance over to the main deskpony. Brass Pageant, was her name. And it kind of lived up to it, as she was quite beautiful to win first at a pageant. Her flowing violet mane was clean as always, and her fuchsia colored coat was brilliant in the sunlight. Wanting to actually have something to at least get her mood up, she trotted on over to the desk and peered over.

"Hey there B.P! How's life going for ya?" asked Swift, not really being professional at the moment. She would always act like this around Brass, just because she has known her since school days. They've been best friends since then.

Brass quickly looked up from the small piles of paperwork she was reading, seeing Swift she smiled. "Oh hey! Nothing too interesting at the moment. Because you know, nothing ever happens. Wait! Actually, something interesting did happen! I found this absolutely dreamy stallion! I think he might be the one!"

Swift couldn't help but chuckle lightly at that. "You really think so? I mean, you seem like the perfect mare to-"

"Oh, I wasn't thinking about me with him. I was thinking about getting you a coltfriend!"

Swift blinked and tilted her head, "Come again?"

Brass laughed and continued to smile brightly, "Oh come on! You heard me! You really need to get some sort of stallion in your life to give you that extra push, you know? You can't just stay single for the rest of your life! Where's your sense of love?"

"I don't have time for them. Besides, why are you asking me this when you are also the one who hasn't gotten their true love yet?"

"All in good time, my dear. All in good time."

Swift sighed and looked back up at the clock once more, before back down at her friend. "Well, I need to go do my job. I'll talk to you some other time."

Brass waved her hoof slightly and nodded. "Yes, yes. Go do your things. I'll be here if you need me!"

Swift gave a small smile before nodding politely, and striding on past the desk and towards the long hallway. Small rooms were on each side of the hallway, and they all were occupied by some pony who was just spending their boring and dull life in there. But it had to be better than the one she was living. All she did was work, sleep, repeat. She eventually found the door with the small copper title on the door; Secretary Quill.

Welp, time to waste some more valuable life time. She sighed quietly before pushing the door open and closing it quietly behind her as she entered her own office. Looking over to the desk, she could see a large stack of papers on there, next to the already messy papers that were still needed to be filled. Who knew that she would have to file this much?

She just couldn't wait until she got back to her nighttime spectacles of dreaming.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! How are you doing? Good? Well good!

This is my first fanfiction to start off with, so perhaps I might not be the most skilled one at making this, but I try and that's all that matters! Right? Guys?

On a separate note, please put down some criticism and what you think of it so far down below! It would help make me a better writer, not to mention perhaps boost myself in the right direction. Until then, I shall be writing more of this, as I already have some ideas in store for this!
~Rebeler2013