• Published 24th Mar 2014
  • 2,778 Views, 22 Comments

Between Worlds - Vohira



When one is in great need The Room of Requirement will provide the best solution... But maybe this one time, the wish fulfilled will turn out to be a curse.

  • ...
5
 22
 2,778

The Origin: Part 1

The Origin: Part 1

In the smallest bedroom in Privet Drive 4, a raven haired teen awoke with a start, sitting up on his bed and breathing hard. He shuddered as the nightmare that plagued him, replayed in his mind before it began to fade. With a long sigh, Harry Potter brought his left hand to his head and started massaging his temple. It wasn’t enough, that he couldn’t sleep properly for almost two weeks now, the nightmare also brought with it headaches. They were minor in his opinion, but still annoying. As if his mood wasn’t bad as it was without them...

The young wizard looked at the old alarm clock at the nightstand. It was barely few minutes past three in the morning. With another sigh he thought himself as lucky tonight, at least he got more than five hours of sleep this time. Heavily he fell back, for now just looking at the ceiling.

It was a great burden, to know that he could prevent the death of his godfather... If he just stopped and thought longer about his course of action that fateful night. He should have less faith in Kreacher, as he should have had more faith in Snape. As infuriating as the man was, he still was a member of the Order of the Phoenix.

Harry clenched his hands into fists, as anger began to take over grief. He could blame himself however much he wanted, but he knew that it was not only his fault. It were the mistakes of many that lead to Sirius’s death. Voldemort, Bellatrix, Dumbledore, Snape, Fudge, Umbridge, Kreacher even Sirius... and of course he, Harry Potter. He couldn’t really get revenge on himself, he could only try and learn from this, but the others... He could get his revenge somehow, if he wanted to that is.

“I’m too damn soft...” He whispered dejectedly. The raven haired wizard knew that it was not a bad trait to have per se, to be forgiving. But he was sure, that there was a limit of how much one can forgive others for. He was certain that he was reaching that limit... for years. He suddenly realized that he had enough.

Enough of being just a pawn, on this great chessboard that was his life. He had entered the wizarding world unprepared, he was naive and a child then. But now he knew better, he had seen more... maybe even too much.

However he knew that there was a problem with his sudden realization. The prophecy. He truly didn’t think much of Divination as a branch of magic, but the prophecy seemed genuine. Harry didn’t want to think about the destined duel to the death, as it only gave him another headache. Voldemort outclassed him in every aspect, the damned prophecy gave him an impossible task to accomplish. But he would have to keep this thought in mind, that one day he would have to kill the Dark Lord.

One step at a time, after all. He couldn't burden himself with too much, or he would fall under the weight. First came the matter of his knowledge, that was possibly the easiest thing to gain. Experience would come with time... although he didn't know how much time he did have. Power... now that he had, according to his teachers and his friends. His Patronus in his third year was a proof of that. However he didn't quite know how he did manage to cast such a powerful one back then at the lake, it was a bit of an enigma. He had power... he just couldn't control it, and he didn’t know why.

Putting those thoughts aside, he had a bigger obstacle before him. He couldn’t practice magic during the summer. He closed his eyes. That would have to wait sadly, for now he would have to focus on theory. And that meant shopping for some extra books.

With those final thoughts he slowly began to fall asleep again. During almost an hour of laying in his bed and thinking things through... he made peace with a small portion of himself. It was a small progress, but a progress nonetheless.


For the next three days, Harry went on with his life as normally as he could. He knew that he was being watched by the Order, and he was trying to pinpoint where were they hiding during their shifts. For three days he tried and saw nothing out of the ordinary. No strange shadows, no grass being flattened by shoes or a person sitting, no out of place sounds. That made him realize that either there was no one watching him, or he underestimated means of magical concealment.

On the fourth day he decided to risk it and called the Knight Bus. The raven haired boy was pleasantly surprised when no one stopped him, when he boarded the purple triple decker.

The ride was as nauseous as he remembered it from his first time, getting through the Leaky Cauldron wasn't as hard as he thought it would be. Luckily there were no Order members in the pub or Hogwart’s staff. The Diagon Alley was surprisingly quiet, with only a few witches and wizards walking around, sparing him a glance and a wave.

In Gringotts Harry’s luck run out. There was only four occupied tellers, however the one closest to the doors was talking with a young woman, with unmistakable vibrant pink hair. As he stared at the back of her head, Nymphadora Tonks turned around, with a frown... that turned into a shocked look when she saw him.

Quickly she masked her surprise and marched towards him with a purpose in her steps.

“Wotcher Harry... What are you doing here? Alone?” She kept her voice down as to not disturb the goblin tellers. But even then, only a deaf man would miss the anger and disbelief in her voice.

“Uh... I can explain Tonks...” Harry was struggling with words right now, as he saw her hair turn red. He saw that happen a few times, when people forgot how she disliked her full name.

“You better have a good excuse then, Harry.” Tonks said as she crossed her arms over her chest, looking at him, waiting to hear what he had to say. The now read haired witch saw the younger boy take a deep breath.

“I need gold... For books and maybe some other stuff. I know, I can’t practice magic... but I can still read and that’s better than doing nothing. I want to learn Tonks, so that... so that nothing like the DoM happens again...” He still couldn’t say his godfather’s name. It brought too much emotional pain. He even stuttered when he talked about the Department of Mysteries. “I’m such a mess. Can’t even talk about... him.”

Instantly Tonk’s posture relaxed, and she sighed heavily. She put her right hand on his shoulder.

“Look Harry... We all in the Order know that Sirius’s death hit you hard. But going all alone into Alley, even with good intentions... You’re wasting his sacrifice.” She saw how Harry flinched at her last words. “That said, I will just have to stick with you for your shopping trip. I’ll still have to report this later to Dumbledore though.”

His mood lifted significantly when she finished, but he frowned when she mentioned that she wanted to inform the Headmaster of Hogwarts. Harry wanted to be his own man, make his own decisions... Dumbledore had good intentions, Harry knew that much. But he was annoyed with the man and his meddling.

Through the last few days he realized, that his first four years at Hogwarts were suspicious, when it came to his... adventures. It appeared as if only his last year, and what went on during it, was mostly the sum of his own decisions.

“Do you really need to talk with Dumbledore about my... our shopping trip?” When those words left his mouth, he saw how Tonks stiffened a bit once again. She looked at him, exasperated.

“Harry, why should I break the rules of the Order? You want books... and we could look into getting you some new clothes, that’s fine. That’s small stuff. Why do you want to keep this... silent?”

“Tonks...” Harry looked to his left and right. There was still no one close to them. ”The truth is... Dumbledore is a good man, but I’m annoyed with him. He kept me in the dark for years now, maybe it’s petty revenge, but can you blame me?” He decided that going with the truth, or most of it, was the right thing to do.

Tonks lifted her hand from his shoulder and in an over the top gesture, spread them wide and then let them fall to her sides. She sighed.

“Fine, fine... it’s more trouble, than it’s worth it. But I can understand it. Just this once Harry I will keep silent.” The young witch was rewarded with a sight of a smiling Harry. There was something in that way he smiled, that made her mind wander, and her hair turned a delicate pink shade. She turned around, to hide her own smile and slightly pink cheeks. “Now then, lets get you some gold.”

After that everything went smooth for the pair, as the goblins didn't waste time. And even Harry not having his key, wasn’t going to change that. The whole episode in the Gringott took only around half an hour, which surprised Harry.

When he and Tonks left the bank, with Harry carrying a medium sized pouch filled with galleons, the Alley was fully coming to life with many more wizards wandering the street. Both of them reached Flourish and Blotts without any incident. Inside Tonks guided Harry to the books she thought would help him the most. However what annoyed the young wizard were two specific books.

“Really Tonks? Basic Magical Theory and The Nature of Magic? Those sound like... I don’t know, something kids would read.”

“Believe me Harry, those two are a great read. And The Nature of Magic is age restricted. I will buy that one for you and you will pay me back.” She said taking the thinner of the two books in her hands. Its cover was dark grey, it had some decorative silver design on its edges that looked arcane. “Seriously though, that’s dumb to restrict this book in such a way...”

“Why’s that?” Now that she said that, Harry’s curiosity was piqued.

“You will have to read it to find that out.” The pink haired metamorphmagus said sticking her tongue out.

“Very mature, Tonks...” Harry grumbled with a slight smile.

In the end, alongside those two books Harry bought only three more. One was a thin spell booklet of offensive, non-lethal charms and curses titled 101 Basic Dueling Spells. It had only like thirty pages in it but, according to the young witch that one was the most useful and ‘to the point’ title that he could find in this bookstore. It still came as a surprise when he had to pay over twenty galleons for it...

The second one was something he picked in hopes of honoring Sirius and his father. The Animal Within, was a promising title when it came to animagus transformation related magic. At least Tonks said that it was a good book, not the best, but still better than most written about this particular subject.

The third one was a bit different. It was a thick, large tome easily rivalling the Monster Book of Monsters in size. The Inner Magic, a comprehensive guide, was something he picked out of curiosity. But Harry quickly decided that he had to have it, after he browsed the book to look at what it had to offer. And it had much. It shocked him when he discovered that it was mostly centered around Occlumency.

That book dampened his mood significantly. He was beyond angry, at knowing that such book existed and that neither Dumbledore and Snape told him about it. But with a few deep breaths he calmed himself, he would not allow his temper to run unchecked. Not any more.

All in all Harry left the bookstore with almost fifty galleons less in his pouch.

After that, and a quick second visit in the bank to exchange the rest of his gold from the pouch into a significant number of pounds, they moved to Muggle London. As Tonks had promised, they spent next few hours picking for him some new cloths. They were in the fourth shop, not even an hour into their shopping spree, when the young witch decided to give her true opinion about Harry’s choices so far.

“You know, I understand that you’re in bad mood, and griefing... But for Merlin’s sake! Are you trying to be the new King of Gloom? Pick something that isn’t gray or black!”

Harry just rolled his eyes at that. He was as annoyed with the shopping as apparently she was... But having clothes that actually fit, was something he didn’t want to pass up on. And suffering through the boring routine of searching and trying on countless clothes, was far easier when one had company. But for her sake, he bought some red and white coloured clothing afterward.

To show his appreciation to her, he invited her to a restaurant that they found during their wanderings. She was resisting the idea at first, but quickly gave up.

It early evening when Harry returned to Private Drive. Luckily Tonks had cast a minor extension charm at the pouch he got from gringotts, when they were parting, so everything fit into it. It was a tight fit, but they managed nonetheless.

Before he entered the Dursley's house, Harry took a deep breath. He would have a hard time explaining his absence and the new clothes he wore.

As he expected, when he closed the doors behind him he heard his uncle’s voice.

“Boy! Get into the living room. Now!” Harry breathed with relief, his uncle’s voice sounded more annoyed than angry. Without further ado he did just what he was told to do.

When Vernon and Petunia Dursley saw their nephew enter the living room in brand new black jeans and a dark grey t-shirt, with new white and gray sneakers on his feet, for a minute they just gaped at him.

“What is the meaning of this?! Where did you get those clothes from, boy?” Vernon was the one that recovered quicker.

“I bought them. I think that should be obvious.” Harry kept his face as devoid of emotions as he could, he wanted a peaceful summer, and he would get it. He even know how to accomplish that. When the idea came to him, he wanted to bang his head on the nearest wall for not thinking about it sooner.

“Why you...” But before he could continue, Vernon was silenced by Petunia’s hand lightly gripping his shoulder. He took a deep breath, but said no more.

“Explain.” Petunia’s voice was neutral, but it was obvious she wanted a good explanation. It also served as a hidden warning, no one wanted Vernon to explode, but she could do only so much before hers husband patience for her nephew run out.

“I don't really have to explain anything to you. However, as I want to have a peaceful summer, lets make a deal. I will pay you one hundred pounds for every week of my stay here, and you leave me alone. I will do no chores in that time of course. Let’s just... stay out of each others way as much as possible.” Harry looked his uncle in the eyes, and he saw the greed in them. He really should have done this sooner. “What do you say?”

“Boy, you got yourself a deal. So where are the money?”

Without saying anything Harry took out of his pocket a hundred pound bill. He walked to the coffee table and laid the money on it. He shot his relatives a smug look, before turning around and leaving the room.

When the young wizard reached his room, he closed the door, tossed the pouch on his bed... and leaned against the doors, closing his eyes. He got what he wanted and still had trouble grasping the idea, that his relatives would be so shallow, so greedy. Well his uncle was those things anyway, it was harder to tell with his aunt. But she really didn't matter that much.

Harry finally walked towards his bed, took off his clothes and collapsed on it. This was one of the most tiring days in his life. The shopping drained him physically, and the short confrontation with his relatives drained him emotionally. Acting so... unlike himself in front of them, was the hardest thing he did so far in his life. Probably because on some level he was still scared of his uncle...

He didn’t think about many more things that night as he fell asleep quickly. Sadly even his small victory in the living room, could not lift his mood so much to protect him from the nightmares...


The rest of the summer went according to his plan, that is with the exception of Dumbledore visiting. And their little trip to ensure that Professor Slughorn would return to Hogwarts willingly. His earlier departure to The Burrow was also nice, however that in itself also brought questions that he really didn’t want to answer.

“Finally Harry you look presentable, did the muggles get these for you?” Mrs. Weasley question brought Dumbledore's attention to him, and of course everybody else present.

At that moment he had to quickly decide, to hide the truth from them all, to get one over the old Headmaster, or to just admit to his little shopping trip and probably get scolded for his foolishness. In the end, it really was a simple choice...

“I finally managed to talk them into it. It was not easy, but my aunt was surprisingly supportive this time.” Harry kept his voice low and looked anywhere but at Molly, smiling sheepishly. He was surprised when they didn't question his answer, taking it for the truth.

For that day until the first of September, Harry found himself following a new routine. He would wake up, eat breakfast with the Weasley’s... which was an adventure on itself sometimes, with the twins around, then he would read and practice what he could, mostly Occlumency. Hermione was showing almost motherly pride at his new study habits, Ron was mostly just confused about his change in attitude and a bit terrified that he would have to deal with two bookworms now.

After dinner he would find a secluded place, as much as it was possible within such a lively household, and start reading the book he decided not to share with Hermione yet. The Nature of Magic. The book was written more to question one’s understanding of Dark and Light magic. The author it would seem, wanted to provoke the reader to form his own opinion on the matter. Harry was still conflicted about the book, as it mostly teared apart the view on magic that was presented to them at Hogwarts and by the Ministry.

When it came to his other study fields, especially Occlumency, he was making progress that exceeded his own expectations. Admittedly, it was easier to learn it without a teacher that had a grudge with his dead father, that tried to settle it with him by making his life harder than it already was. He was still at the basic level, dealing with his memories, and sorting his knowledge. But it was a tremendous progress in his opinion, compared to what he achieved under Snape’s... tutelage.

Surprising himself, he devoured the book about basic magical theory in the first few days of his stay. It was written so well that a five year old wizard child could understand it. The day he thought about that, made him snort in amusement. It probably was written that way with that exact purpose anyway.

His Animagus study was slow going, which frustrated him to no end... He realised that there was nothing really he could do about that until he got to Hogwarts.

And so it went for the remainder of the summer. Although, even his slowly expanding knowledge of Occlumency, and the undeniably familial and cheerful atmosphere of The Burrow, could not always protect him from relieving the night of Sirius’s death...


The mood among the students in Hogwarts was dampened. That much became obvious during the first week of the lessons. The looming threat of Voldemort, and Snape becoming the Defence Against the Dark Arts professor were enough to subdue the usually energetic, young population of the castle.

It also so happened that during that week, Harry found the answer to all of his problems... well most of them. The Room of Requirement. He would need to thank Hermione later on for giving him this suggestion, and helping him come up with the phrasing for what he needed the Room for.

On the evening of the second Sunday of his sixth year, Harry Potter stood before the wall that served as the hiding spot for the doors to the peculiar room. There was nobody in the corridor, so he decided to whisper his request, increasing its power.

“I need a place where I can learn and train. Where I could become strong enough to defeat Voldemort.” The young, raven haired wizard repeated the phrase until a door appeared. The strange thing about them was, that they were engraved with two unicorn heads, with their horns crossing.

Cautiously he opened the door, only to see a circular room with a small table in the middle. On it rested a glowing, bluish crystal. That in itself was odd, but the Room did provide what he needed last year...

So he entered the room and closed the doors, which then melted into the wall and disappeared, the only light in the room was coming from the crystal. When Harry was by the small table, he raised his hand and held it over the crystal, not really knowing what else to do beside touching it.

“Here goes nothing...” The young wizard said, closed his eyes, and put his hand on the crystal.

He felt a pull, not unlike the one he experienced while using a Portkey, but this one was accompanied by a pressure that enveloped his body, trying to stretch it in ways that should be impossible.

When he finally hit the ground, he was barely able to feel his body. His vision was blurred, but he could make out trees surrounding him. His ears flicked at the sound of slowly flowing water somewhere in the distance.

“Wait... what...” He blurted out, he could feel his ears flicking back and forth tracking the sounds around him. That was wrong.

His vision began to regain focus again, and he decided that he had enough of lying in the dirt, so he sat up... or tried to at least. His arms felt weird, so he immediately lost balance. Curious he looked at them, only to find that his arms became forelegs, covered in dark gray fur and adorned with hooves.

“What the hell?!” Harry started to frantically look himself over, and to his growing horror discovered that he was turned into a horse of some kind. And he could still talk apparently. He could now clearly see that he had a black tail and black mane, if the few bangs of hair falling into his sight were any indication. What made his jaw drop was the red lightning bolt adoring his... flank. He frowned, something about it felt wrong but, for now he had greater concerns than a tattoo on his rump.

“I need to stand up... and I need a mirror.” Knowing what body he was currently occupying, it was a bit easier to sit up. Standing up was a bit more problematic, so he took his time. When finally after his seventh try he was standing on slightly wobbly legs, Harry tried to walk.

If he had to tell how much time it took him to reach the small stream he heard earlier, he would tell it took hours. And maybe it did. Despite being in the forest he could feel the heat of the midday sun. So when he reached the stream he was overjoyed.

He stood at the water's edge, before he took a deep breath and looked down. His eyes widened at what he saw. First thing he noticed in his reflection, was the horn. I’m a freaking unicorn! Then he took notice of his still unruly black mane, that seemed a bit longer than it should be. Then Harry sighed with relief, he still had his brilliant, emerald green eyes. Lastly he noticed that the fur on top of his muzzle was partially black, creating an interesting, geometrical pattern.

“Now to figure out where I am...” Suddenly he scowled, and shouted in anger. “I’m so stupid! Where is the crystal?” He turned around and started looking for the clearing he had landed in.

He quickly realized that he couldn’t find the clearing... He was so focused on not falling muzzle first into the ground, that he didn't pay proper attention to what route he had taken from his landing place to the stream.

When the sun began to hide behind the horizon, and the forest was becoming progressively darker Harry knew he was lost. More than that, he was exhausted and dismayed. In frustration he punched the nearest tree with a grunt.

Having nothing to lose anymore, he just walked forward.

When the moon was almost gone from the sky, and the slight pinkness of the east horizon indicated that a new day will begin soon, he reached the edge of the forest. From there he saw something that gave him hope again. Lights in the distance. His exhaustion suddenly forgotten he galloped, yes galloped, in the direction of the lights that probably were a village of some kind.

When he finally saw the outline of low houses, he started to stumble. Every breath he took brought with it pain in his sides, every step he took made his muscles felt as if they were on fire. But he pushed forward.

When the first rays of the morning sun hit his face, he collapsed at the edge of a wheat field. For a while he drifted on the edge of consciousness. That’s when he heard soft steps and then a high pitched, girly scream. Something tucked at his mane.

“Sir! Sir, are you all right?!”

Before he blacked out from the extreme exhaustion, Harry heard the girly voice scream.

“Mom! Dad! Somepony needs help! Come quick!”


When Harry slowly awoke, he was confused. Last thing he remembered was the exhausting run... Or was it a dream? With an effort he lifted his head and looked down at his hoofed legs and dark gray coated body. So... not a dream.

He looked around the small room he was in. It walls made of what looked like clay bricks, were bare, except for the small window with wooden shutters, he could see that there was no glass pane in it. Through the cracks in the shutters rays of sunlight flooded the small room. When he looked at his bed it turned out to be a simple wooden frame, filled with straw and covered with some material. At least his pillow was stuffed mostly with feathers.

In that moment, when he was studying the simple bed, the doors opened and a young filly walked in. She had a light green coat, and pale blond mane tied into a simple braid. When Harry looked at her he noticed that she didn’t have a horn.

“Oh you’re awake!” Her voice was excited and she quickly ran out of his room.

Not a minute later the filly returned with an adult mare in tow. At a first glance he could tell that she spent a lot of time working, probably on the fields. Her moves and the way she carried herself spoke about her hidden strength. Her coat was brown and her main was a rich honey color. What surprised him was the three wheat stalks image on her flank. She held a wooden bowl filled with water in her teeth. She approached him, Harry took the hint, and when she touched the bowl to his lips and tipped it he drank greedily. After he drank the water she put the bowl on the ground.

“My name is Golden Harvest, and this is my daughter Summer Harvest. She found you passed out in our field. What made you run like that, and what’s your name stranger?” Golden’s voice was full of concern when she asked her questions.

Harry blinked slowly. Those were some strange names... However what surprised him more was that the two ponies could talk. That and their colouring at last made him realize, that he probably was not on Earth anymore. The Room of Requirement had outdone itself this time. But then... where was he?

“I was lost, your village...” His voice was raspy, and he wondered how long he was unconscious. He laid his head down on the pillow again. “Was the first I saw, so I ran. As to my name... I don't know. I don't even know where I am.” Harry decided to keep his real name to himself, seeing as the locals had a different approach to them, at least he guessed so.

“Oh you poor thing... You're in the village of Trottingham, we are a small and relatively new settlement, and we’re on the far south-west border of the Kingdom of Equestria.” The mare said looking at him.

“Equestria?” To Harry that was one of the most ridiculous names one could give to a country, but it was only his ex-human opinion.

“After the fall of the Spirit of Chaos, the Royal Sisters created a new country for us, ponies to live in. You have to be from the Wilds to not know that... I heard that some communities still live in self imposed exile, too scared of the Spirit to return even now.” When she said that her muzzle took on a somber look. But as quickly as it showed, it was replaced by a small smile. “You should be able to leave the bed tomorrow. Your case of exhaustion was one of the worst I have ever seen.”

Suddenly Harry’s emerald green eyes widened.

“Oh... It probably was quite a burden to care for me... however long I was unconscious. Thank you.” A roguish smile appeared on his muzzle, not that he was aware of how it looked, but he saw its effect, when the mare blushed slightly and her smile widened.

“That’s was no problem really. It was mostly Summer that watched over you...” Golden said while she put a hoof on hers daughter head. The young filly smiled broadly.

“Well then... Tomorrow I can leave?”

“That’s right, you should probably speak with Glimmer then, she’s the oldest unicorn in our village right now. Whatever help you will need, she will probably be better suited to help you...” Said the earth pony mare, while she started to usher her daughter out of the room. “Get some sleep...” She blinked a few times. “Oh, and pick something to call you by, at least for now?” She added with a quiet, embarrassed laugh. With that she closed the door, leaving him alone again in the small room.

Author's Note:

So, as an author I'm not dead apparently. Anyhow, hope you have enjoyed the first chapter of my very first crossover fic. And yes before anyone asks, the AU tag is there because of the "travelling to the past" thing, and we know very little about Equestria's past. Also before this question also pops up, for the most part I will ignore Luna's transformation into NMM as it was shown (and the fic starts before that) in the show, just... no.

So... reviews?!