• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 1,981 Views, 369 Comments

Sunset Rekindled - EldritchNexus



Sequel to "Sunset Eclipsed". Sunset Shimmer and her friends go on a new adventure that takes them to Las Pegasus, Saddle Arabia, and beyond..

  • ...
 369
 1,981

PreviousChapters Next
Special Someponies, Part 1

"I would like to thank you, Miss Sunset, for showing concern for my people." said the Saddle Arabian paladin, later that afternoon in the place gardens.

"Oh, it was nothing really." said Sunset Shimmer, lightly.

"Well, I don't think it was nothing." said the paladin. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Felix. I am one of the sultan's elite guards in the city of Mareusalem."

"I'm sure pleased to meet you, Felix." said Sunset, warmly raising a hoof. "Welcome to Canterlot."

Felix raised his own hoof, put it around Sunset's, and bent down to kiss it. Sunset blushed, but said nothing.

"Forgive me, but I have not conversed with a mare as beautiful as you in such a long time." said Felix, quickly. "You almost seem like one of my own nation's marefolk."

"Well, I am one-eighth Saddle Arabian on my mother's side." said Sunset. "Although I don't really put too much thought into that part of my heritage."

"Is that so?" asked Felix. "A shame, though. I can tell, just by looking into your eyes, that you have the pride and determination of a true Saddle Arabian."

"Why don't you try telling my brother that?" asked Sunset. "I'm sure he'd love to hear you say it. He's one of Princess Luna's Night Guard."

"And is he a unicorn like you?" asked Felix.

"Yep. My mother's a unicorn, too." said Sunset.

"How fascinating!" said Felix. "A family of unicorns of Saddle Arabian descent."

"...Except for my father, who's from Vanhoover." said Sunset.

"Nevertheless, we don't get too many of the unicorn breed in our homeland."

"But you do get pegasi, right?" asked Sunset.

"A few, actually." said Felix. "In fact..."

He removed his cloak, revealing two wings folded against his sides.

"I'm one of them!" he said.

"That's pretty cool!" said Sunset. "But why keep that a secret?"

"Uh...pegasi of Saddle Arabian descent aren't exactly as widely-accepted as the typical earth pony." said Felix. "Long story."

"You know, I actually met this one Saddle Arabian pegasus stallion in Las Pegasus nearly two weeks ago." said Sunset. "His name was Lionel Summerset."

Felix's eyes widened.

"So you've met my uncle?" asked Felix.

Sunset's own eyes widened.

"Lionel's your uncle?" she gasped.

"Yes." said Felix. "I think I should have told you my full name: Felix Summerset. The Summersets are a clan of mostly pegasi that are of Saddle Arabian descent. But I've never known my uncle Lionel very much--he left for Equestria when I was still a colt--but I heard much about him. What is he like?"

"He's like...umm..." said Sunset, hesitantly. "Well, he was friends with my father."

"What did he do?" asked Felix, curiously. "For a job, I mean?"

"I...he was into...umm, real estate." said Sunset. "Worked on a whole bunch of buildings and things in Las Pegasus. He really loves that city a lot."

"Miss Sunset, you seem a little...hesitant?" said Felix. "Is there something on your mind?"

"It's...about King Nelphyn." said Sunset, subtly changing the subject. "I feel bad about the trouble you and your people are going through with that guy on the loose. And I have a feeling that I'd know just what he's doing, since I've faced him before."

"Just out of curiousity: Why are you so interested in facing him yourself?" asked Felix. "You don't seem like the kind of pony that would normally question Princess Celestia."

"Boy, if only that was entirely true." thought Sunset, before speaking aloud: "Well, to make a long story as short as possible...I kinda caused a little trouble myself in this...nation outside Equestria. I had seen the error of my ways, and thought I would stay there for a while to try and make up for the...trouble I caused. But all my chances at fixing things there were ruined when King Nelphyn tricked a group of criminals into hunting for me. Not only did they derail my original intentions, but they made my life in that...other nation...even worse by painting me as some kind of menace to society, since even the police there thought I was a criminal. And I was left with no choice but to come back here, instead."

"Goodness, that's terrible." said Felix, concerned. "Do you think that you may be able to return there to try setting things straight again?"

"I don't see that happening in the near future." said Sunset. "It's a long story. Still, it wasn't all that bad. I would never have met my second boyfriend, Craw, if those criminals weren't drawn to the town I was in...though I have to say that was pretty much the only good thing to come out of that."

"Do you miss Craw, then?" asked Felix Summerset.

"Yep." said Sunset. "And I still love him with a deep passion, even after all the things he did. I'd rather not go into the details, though."

"And I can respect a passion like that." nodded Felix, putting his cloak back on to conceal his wings.

"I wonder, do you have a special somepony of your own?" asked Sunset.

"Yes, I do!" said Felix. "Well, I've wanted her to be my special somepony. She's the sultan's niece, and she has a very marvelous figure. Unfortunately, she's not accustomed to fraternizing with Saddle Arabian pegasi."

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that." said Sunset.

"But I think it's time to change the subject." said Felix, quickly. "Would you care to introduce me to your family? I would very much like to meet them sometime."

"Oh, sure!" said Sunset. "Just follow me."


Frosty, Nose Nip, and Teddy were at the inn where the latter was staying. They were sitting at a table across from the bar.

"So, have ya been makin' any friends 'round here since you came into town?" Frosty asked Teddy.

"Yep." said Teddy. "But to be honest, I've been having a little trouble finding a girlfriend."

"Oh come on, it can't be that hard to get a girl in this town!" said Frosty. "In fact..."

Just as he was about to finish his sentence, an earth pony mare with a light red coat, dark green eyes, and shiny orange mane slammed the front door open.

"Outta da way, bozo!" she said, with a Brooklyn accent almost as thick as Frosty's, to a pegasus stallion blocking her path.

The pegasus jumped hastily out of her way, allowing the earth pony to get herself seated at the bar.

"Sunflower, I didn't expect to see you again so soon!" said the bartender.

"Cut da chit-chat, barkeep!" said Sunflower, irritated. "I need da fizziest apple cider ya got! Make it snappy, I got a shop to run in two hours!"

"Yes, ma'am!" said the bartender, quickly. "One moment, please."

"She almost reminds me of Gilda!" whispered Teddy, nervously.

Sunflower apparently heard this, because she turned around on the spot, looking for the whisperer in question. Teddy quickly turned his head away, trying desperately to whistle, before stopping altogether.

"Excuse me, but did I ask for anypony's opinion around here?!" she said loudly.

The whole tavern area of the inn fell silent.

"Yeah, dat's what I thought!" said Sunflower, when nopony spoke up. "Now lemme enjoy my drink in peace!"

When Sunflower turned around again, waiting for the bartender to give her the beverage she requested. Frosty whispered to Teddy:

"I got dis covered."

Frosty climbed out of his seat, and sat at the bar right next to Sunflower.

"Hey, barkeep!" said Frosty. "I'd like'ta be the one dat pay's for my friend's drink!"

"Okay, sir." said the bartender. "That'll be six bits!"

Frosty gave him precisely half a dozen bits, and the bartender handed the apple cider to Sunflower.

"Gee, thanks." said Sunflower. "I always wanted a li'l runt of a unicorn to buy stuff fo' me! It's almost like I got it fo' free!"

Frosty decided to ignore the blatant rudeness of Sunflower's comment, and continued on.

"And I always wanted ta buy stuff fo' a bossy earth pony that never heard of da word 'gratitude'!" he countered.

"What's the matter, small-fry?" said Sunflower. "Ya came over here for a shouting-match?"

"Well, if it meant getting to hear more of yo' gorgeous Manehattenite voice, I guess I'd say 'yes'." said Frosty.

"Ya...ya think I have a gorgeous voice?" asked Sunflower. "Ya betta not be mockin' me, shrimpy!"

"I ain't mockin' ya, sweetheart." said Frosty. "I love hearin' ya voice and accent almost as much as I love hearin' my own! I'd just love ta chat, chat, chat all day and night about how much I love hearin' ya talk! It's not everyday a unicorn of da likes-a me meets an earth pony whose voice is even tuff-uh than her hooves!"

Sunflower laughed so loudly, her voice echoed throughout the room.

"Ya know, yo' a real swell guy!" she said. "We should totally hang out sometime! I'm Sunflower Seed!"

"And I'm Frosty Flake!" said Frosty. "Nice ta meetcha!"

"Nice ta meetcha too!" said Sunflower. "I run a fashion shop down da street from here! If ya wanna see me again, ya just gotta look for the sign dat says 'Sunflower's Stupendous Suits & Dreamy Dresses'! And don't worry, I can be a real sweetheart if I wanna be!"

"Well, dat's good ta hear!" said Frosty, turning to the other patrons. "Ain't it, guys?"

The other patrons nodded, clearly relieved that Sunflower stopped shouting. Once she got finished with her cider, Sunflower got out of her seat.

"See ya later, small-fry." she said to Frosty, before leaving.

Frosty went back to sit with Nose Nip and Teddy.

"See?" he said to Teddy. "I told ya it ain't dat hard!"

"Uh...that was...an interesting experience." said Teddy, regarding the conversation he witnessed.

"Yeah, it's like there were two Frosties in the same room, if one of them was a lady and they were both chatting up a storm." said Nose Nip.

"Hey!" said Frosty.

"I'm sorry, Frosty, but what I heard was just painful." said Nose Nip, after finishing his fourth mug of hard cider.

"Actually, that was pretty tame compared to the ruckus this earth pony and his pegasus wife were causing last month." said a nearby patron.

"Listen, Frosty." Nose Nip said, ignoring the patron. "I honestly hope you and Sunflower never have children together. Your seed with her egg would create the most volatile mixture Equestria has seen since the whiskey-bomb. Teddy, could you imagine the idea of what their kids would be like? High-strung, neurotic, bipolar, thuggish, boisterous, loud, obnoxious..."

"Oh come on, you guys!" said Frosty. "Why can't ya congratulate me for gettin' somepony like Sunflower to be my new girlfriend? I actually feel like I accomplished somethin'!"

"Because she's rude and irritating!" said Nose Nip.

"But I can relate to her!" said Frosty. "Her personality ain't the best ever, but it ain't too diferent from mine, either! How da heck's it any different than dat crush ya have on Maud Pie?"

Nose Nip blushed at the mention of Maud's name.

"That...that's not really a fair comparison..." said Nose Nip.

"Why, cuz I can get Sunflower to like me, but-cha can't get Maud to like you?" asked Frosty. "I'll tell ya what, Nips. How's about we arrange a double date: You find Maud and get her to go out with ya, I'll do da same with Sunflower, and we'll all meet someplace so that we can see which of us does better with our special someponies. What'dya say?"

Nose Nip took a slow, deep breath.

"Okay, Frosty." he said. "I think it wouldn't hurt to give it a try."

Author's Note:

Sunflower is the cousin of Applejack and older sister of Babs Seed. She appeared in the MLP: Equestria Girls comics, so she's not an OC. I have to admit that I haven't really read the comic she was featured in, but I read a few descriptions of her online. So forgive me if her characterization here conflicts with her human counterpart's from the comics.

PreviousChapters Next