• Published 26th Mar 2012
  • 6,275 Views, 163 Comments

Darn it, Pavlov! - The Gooey Center



Applejack awakes from the hospital to find that her body rejects apples with a vengence.

  • ...
7
 163
 6,275

Strange Conditions

“Nngh…”

She couldn’t bring herself to open her eyes, even though she wanted to wake up; what she wanted was to get out of this uncomfortable bed. The sheets draped over her were so thin she could feel a light breeze flowing right through it, and the mattress may as well have been made out of cardboard. Upon making another small grumble, something on her right rustled next to the bed.

“Is she waking up, doc?!” she heard a nearby voice say.

“Mngh…” she managed to groan again, trying to muster the strength to fully wake up. She felt tired, sore, and most of all…sick. She felt so drained of energy; even trying to open her eyes felt like a challenge in and of itself. Nonetheless, cracks of light began to form at the center of her vision as the muscles on her eyelids finally started to function.

“I think she’s coming to!” another voice said on her left, opposite the first voice. Then she felt a nudge against the right side of her face; the voice on her right was apparently poking her with a hoof. Her eyes may be open, but the images she could barely make out were still blurry, and she couldn't make out exactly who was being so intrusive upon her face. Just as she wished in her head that the prodding would stop, another hoof was heard smacking the prodder away from her face.

“Ow!” the voice on her right yelled. “The hay was that for?”

“Don’t do that, Rainbow!” the voice on her left said angrily. Slowly shifting her eyes to the voice's source, she could make out through her slit-open eyes the purple figure glaring at the one on her right, speaking in a stern, but familiar, voice. “She’s still bedridden! She’s probably still sick!”

‘Sick?’ What in Equestria were they talking about? Well, if she was in this crummy bed, and someone had said 'doctor'…why was she in the hospital just because of some sickness? What the heck happened to her?

Finally mustering the strength to fully wake up, Applejack fully opened her eyes to see Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash sitting on either side of her hospital bed. “Heya, girls…” the orange earth-pony said weakly.

“Oh thank goodness!” Rainbow said, throwing her arms around the farmer in joy.

Perhaps a little too happy, Rainbow was clenching Applejack's lightly-shuddering body a bit too hard. Her arms were wrapped right around the earth-pony's torso, and the tight squeezing made, of all things, Applejack's stomach hurt the most. “Ungh…Rainbow,” Applejack uttered, “you’re kinda crushing me…”

“Oh!” the cyan pegasus came out of her elated trance, opening her eyes and quickly releasing the earth-pony who took a deep breath of relief when Rainbow did. “Sorry, AJ, we were just so worried.” They still looked 'worried', actually; both Twilight and Rainbow were looking Applejack up and down, giving her a thorough examination with their eyes. It made the farmer feel uncomfortable, to say the least.

Finished with regaining her breath, she looked up to the two ponies with her, rubbing a hoof against the back of her head as she tried hard, but unsuccessfully, to recall recent events. “Um, what happened? I can’t quite seem t’ remember…”

Twilight's face softened after hearing her friends speak a normal sentence, a lot of the initial worry washing away. “We didn’t even know ourselves, at first,” the unicorn replied, “But after we rushed you here to the hospital, the doctor told us that it was apparently food poisoning.”

“Food poisoning?!” Applejack exclaimed. It explained the stomach pain, but the answer left a lot more questions than it did answers. “Whaddya mean, food poisoning?”

“What she means is that you ate a bad apple.” Rainbow scorned Applejack like a mother would her guilty child. “I told you that it looked funny, but you didn’t even give it a second thought before you shoveled down your throat.” The pegasus was getting very animated as she recalled the incident, over-exaggerating her version of her bedridden friend gulping down a whole apple. “And I thought I was the reckless one.”

Twilight turned away from watching Rainbow's performance to explain to Applejack in more detail. “It only happened several hours ago. You, me, and Rainbow were at Sweet Apple Acres talking about the upcoming…ah, 'Apple Family Bi-Annual Get-Together Celebration'.”

“If I were you, I’d choose a different name for the thing, but whatever,” Rainbow added backhandedly. She had stopped her acting and reclined up against the wall of the hospital room a foot behind her, suddenly looking very bored with the situation.

“Don’t you remember any of this?” Twilight asked, concerned for her friend.

Applejack scrunched her eyebrows in thought, and she glanced up at the blindingly-white ceiling of her hospital room. “…I s’pose it rings a bell,” Applejack replied, the memories beginning to return to her.

The doctor Rainbow had called for earlier came into the hospital room. “Ah, good to see you awake, Applejack.” The doctor smiled and walked over to the earth-pony's bed, holding a folder underneath one of his arms; he took up the folder and laid it against the foot of Applejack's thin mattress as he looked over the contents. “It appears you’ve had a simple case of food poisoning, as I'm sure your friends have already told you about, judging by your expression. Fortunately, we were able to quickly evacuate your stomach, and have been supplying a steady supply of nutrients with an IV,” he pointed a hoof to show Applejack the bag of fluid hanging on her right. “We expect you to be ready to get back on your hooves within the next twelve to forty-eight hours.”

“What? That won’t do,” Applejack argued, “mah family’s Get-Together is in three days—I don’t have time t’ lay around in bed!”

“Don’t worry AJ,” Twilight reassured her friend while placing a supportive hoof on her shoulder. “We’ve helped you with time-dependent jobs before, and we can do it again!”

“Okay…jus’ please make sure that everything goes exactly th’ way it says on mah list. I got it personally from mah uncle Apple Strudel, who’s headin’ the whole thing with Granny Smith. Th’ two of ‘em work really hard every time this event goes on; I'd hate to see somethin’ go wrong.”

“We’ll take care of everything ‘till you get better and back on your hooves!” Rainbow encouraged. “Just don’t worry, and we’ll go get Pinkie and Rarity and Fluttershy and take care of everything on your list.”

“Oh, that reminds me! We still haven’t told the others about Applejack!” Twilight exclaimed. Rainbow's large smile immediately flipped upside-down, and she cocked an eyebrow at the unicorn.

“Weren’t you going to call them?” Rainbow said.

“I thought you were,” Twilight replied.

The two mares looked at one another, then back to Applejack. “Sorry about that,” Twilight apologized, “The others should have been here when you awoke.”

“Aw, it’s alright Twi, it’s not like I’m goin’ anywhere.”

“Yeah, but now you’re gonna get hounded once they all come charging in here,” Rainbow said. “It would've been better if they arrived when you were still unconscious.”

Applejack chuckled. “Heh heh, yeah, I suppose th’ six of us can all be like that, huh?”


*The next day, morning*

The nurse opened the door with her rump, walking in backwards while holding a cart with several plates of food. Applejack had been staring at her bottom hooves on the end of her bed for the past hour, so the sudden company was a nice change of pace. “Time for breakfast, Applejack! I’m sure after a day of not eating anything, you’re dying for something other than a bag strapped to your arm!”

“Darn tootin’ I am!” Applejack declared. “So what’s the local cuisine?”

“Actually, your family back at Sweet Apple Acres was kind enough to send you their own complements! We don’t usually do this, but since you’re recovery doesn’t require a specific diet, we’re letting it slide.” She swung the cart around to reveal to Applejack several mouth-watering apple-theme morning meals. Aromatic apple pancakes, apple waffles coated in apple jam, and an apple pie on the side with a hearty glass of apple cider. “I almost took a bite of it myself, it smelled so good!”

But when the fragrance hit Applejack’s nose, something unexpected happened. The earth-pony had to keep back the sudden upwelling of vomit shooting up her throat. In seconds, she had gone from A-Okay to far beyond nauseous. She swallowed hard to force the acid back down; the nurse easily noticed Applejack’s sudden distress. “Applejack, are you alright?!”

Applejack felt about ready to keel over. “Yeah…yeah, Ah’m fine, just some spontaneous nausea, that’s all. Prob’ly a resulta not eatin’ for a day. Here, hand me a piece of that pie, Ah need to get me something to eat.”

The nurse cautiously grabbed a piece of the pie and placed it on a pewter plate that was on the cart. She handed it over to the earth-pony, and Applejack reached over to grab it, but when her eyes landed on the slices of fruit inside of the filling, the bile in her stomach made to heave itself out of her mouth again.

And unfortunately for the nurse standing right next to Applejack’s bed, the nausea won the second round with the apple-farmer, and spilled out all over the poor nurse’s front.


“Twilight, what the hay’s WRONG with me?!”

Applejack had grabbed the purple unicorn by the shoulders and shoved her friend’s face into hers. She was at a complete loss at what to do. “Every time Ah see an apple, or smell one—even the very thought of it righ’ now is making me sick t’ mah stomach! I threw up on mah own nurse, fer Celestia's sake!”

Twilight pushed up against Applejack, putting some distance between her and the apprehensive earth-pony. The unicorn seemed unusually calm, as apposed to the exasperated earth-pony lying in bed next to her. “So you say that this nausea only begins once you realize apples are in the vicinity?”

“Like Ah said, even the thought of ‘em righ’ now is making me sick t’ mah stomach…”

Twilight scrunched her brow. “I…I think I may know what’s going on here, but you’re not going to like it.”

“What? What is it!?”

“It’s…” Twilight was hesitant to answer.

“Out with it, Twi!”

“I think it’s classical conditioning!” the unicorn yelled, then promptly covered her mouth with her hooves as if she’d just uttered a curse word.

“…You’re gonna hafta clarify,” Applejack said plainly.

Twilight faltered with her words again. “Classical conditioning is a type of thing involved with psychology. It’s when stimulus creates a response. In your case, you got food poisoning from that bad apple you ate, but the poisoning was specifically caused by some bacteria or virus that was in the apple. Unfortunately, your body is under the impression now that it’s apples that will cause such a sickness, not some germ. As such, when you try to eat an apple, your body will try to counteract what it believes is something that’ll make you sick by inducing vomiting.”

“…You’re kiddin’, right?” Applejack asked. “You’ve got t’be kiddin’, ther’s no way you’re right! I—no, no! Are you tryin’ to say that I CAN’T eat apples anymore!? How does that even work?!”

Twilight looked at the ground and rubbed her shoulder. “I…it’s hard to say for sure. This kind of thing differs between everypony. I actually have the same problem with macaroni and cheese—but not on your caliber. I can stand around it—heck, I can even eat it without guaranteed vomiting, but I do feel pretty nauseous when I do. With you, though…you can’t even be in the same room as an apple without feeling the effects.”

“You’ve gotta be kiddin’ me…there’s gotta be some kinda way to prevent it, right? Somethin’ that can settle mah stomach before I get sick?”

“Well, with me, I just kind of stopped eating macaroni and cheese altogether. It wasn’t like I needed the stuff to live, so quit it. But with you…”

“Twi, I live and breathe apples! You can’t just waddle on in here and tell me I can’t eat apples ever again!”

“Hey,” Twilight snapped back, “You’re the one that called ME in here. I’m just telling you the facts. I've never even seen such a problem present itself this badly—only a single bad apple, and that's all it took. Usually with classical conditioning, one requires exposure over an extended time,” Twilight explained. “That apple you ate had something really nasty in it, though; like I said yesterday, you were out cold for several hours. Perhaps it's not all that hard to imagine that your body was shocked into treating it like poison…”

“But…but wha’ about the Apple Family Bi-Annual Get-Together Celebration?”

“Actually,” Twilight interrupted, “Rainbow and I went to the trouble of officially shortening the name to the acronym ‘AFBi’; though your family hasn't taken a liking to it, it is a shorter term that takes from the words—”

“Yeahyeahyeah that’s great an’ all, Twi,” Applejack rushed. “What Ah’m sayin’ is that if I can’t even LOOK at an’ apple, how th’ hay am I s’posed to go the Celebration?”

“…” Twilight didn’t know what to say. She knew quite a bit about psychology, and she knew very well that not only would rehabilitating Applejack’s subconscious be a challenge, but she knew that trying to do so in only two and a half days would be near-impossible. “…I’m sorry Applejack, but I don’t think there’s much we can do in only two and a half days…”

An angry Applejack threw the hospital bed covers off of herself and onto the ground, then yanked her IV right out of her arm; the doctor had said she no longer required it, but it had been placed back in after her little incident with the nurse and the apple breakfast earlier that morning. The farmer leapt off the hospital bed and onto the white tile floor right next to Twilight. Staring deep into the unicorn’s eyes, the earth-pony said, “I don’t care what it takes—we’re gonna do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE in these next ‘two and a half days’.”


“You sure about this?” Pinkie Pie asked hesitantly to the orange earth-pony at Sugar Cube Corner. She was holding a golden-delicious apple behind her back, and Twilight was sitting a few yards away from the two, examining closely and holding a clipboard and pen close to her with her magic.

“Pinkie, I don’t have th’ TIME t’ argue,” Applejack replied, a white cloth blindfold over her eyes as she stood in front of Pinkie, “The Celebration is in two days—that only gives me a day, perhaps a day and a half at best to get over this dang apple-sickness.”

“Very well…” Pinkie replied.

“Remember, Pinkie,” Twilight added from the sidelines, “wait a little bit first—the point of this exercise is to have AJ not know when the apple is in front of her.”

“Yeah yeah, I know…” Pinkie replied, waving the hoof at Twilight that held the apple, accidentally hitting Applejack in the process. “Oh! Sorry, Applejack, that was the—”

“Huurg—” Applejack was reeling on the ground, trying to keep in her lunch.

“…apple,” Pinkie finished saying.

The infuriated farmer grabbed her blindfold and tossed it onto the ground in a rage. “This is ridiculous! I can’t even SMELL a dang apple without havin’ to lose mah lunch! Twilight, ther’s gotta be some kinda magic spell that you can try out on me!”

“Sorry, but there’s not many magic spells pertaining to psychological things involving conditioning…and even then, I’m not the best at mind spells.”

“Well, let’s find somepony who can, then!”

“…Honestly, Applejack, I think it’d be easier if we continue your current…training. Though perhaps we should try something a little less intense than smell.” The unicorn turned to Pinkie. “Do you happen to have any pictures of apples on-hoof?”

“Okay, now you’re just patronizin’ me,” Applejack barked.

I’m trying to help you Applejack,” Twilight replied sternly. “Now, if we want to get you over this, there are two ways of doing it: either shove a real apple into your face and hoping you get used to it—we already know how well that’s going to go over with your body—and then there’s the baby steps approach, where we start small and finish with the real deal. Though, both take time to fully work, and I realize that time isn’t exactly on our side here,” Twilight quickly added, noting how Applejack was about to speak up, “but it’s the cold hard truth.”

Applejack stared at the ground, considering her options—not that she really had any good ones to choose from. “Fine…go get a stinkin’ picture of an apple.”

“Great!” Twilight said as Applejack mumbled something underneath her breath. “Pinkie, go fetch a picture of an apple!”

“Already got it, Twilight!” Pinkie said, pulling said picture out of nowhere. The simple piece of printer paper depicted a shining red apple large and proud in the center.

“Um…great!” Twilight levitated the paper out of Pinkie’s hoof and brought if over to Applejack. “Now, how do you feel right now?”

Applejack stared hard at the picture. “Not TOO bad…Ah mean, it’s just that this is still makin’ me a wee bit queasy…boy, that food poisonin’ really messed me up somethin’ bad, didn’t it?”

“Just keep at it, AJ,” Twilight encouraged, “if you really want to be ready by the time of your family’s celebration, then you’re going to have to train yourself nonstop.”

“Piece of cake,” Applejack said, staring harder and harder at the paper. After having a ten-minute staring contest with the paper, the farmer’s look of queasiness had vanished completely, and she was practically glaring a hole into the paper. “Ha!” she shouted suddenly at the picture, startling a bored Twilight and Pinkie, “Ah could do this all day long!” Her face darted to the purple unicorn standing right behind the floating piece of paper. “Ah think Ah’m ready for the next step, Twi! We gotta keep th’ gears a-rollin’, so what’s next?” she said confidently.

“Pinkie,” Twilight said.

The pink earth-pony held up the same golden delicious apple from before, and when Applejack turned and looked at it, she started to dry-heave.


“I’m not sure if I’m comfortable with her being in my boutique, considering what you three want to do…” Rarity said uncomfortably.

“Well, Mr. and Mrs. Cake kicked us out of Sugar Cube Corner, since they didn’t want Applejack throwing up on their floor or anything,” Pinkie said nonchalantly.

“And so you decided to bring her HERE instead!?”

“C’mon Rarity,” Twilight pleaded, “We don’t really want to go to Fluttershy’s because of all the animals there,”

“We can’t even go to Dashie’s since her house is made up of clouds,” Pinkie added.

“And Sweet Apple Acres is a no-go,” Applejack finished. “Considerin’ mah current problem, Ah’d probably lose it the minute I step into the apple orchard.”

“Why don’t you all just go over to Twilight’s library, then?” Rarity asked.

“I’ve been helping the Apple Family with the planning process of the Celebration in Applejack’s absence; half the family is over at the library right now,” Twilight replied. “Applejack has gotten over the picture of an apple, but considering the Apple Family, you can’t except them NOT to have plenty of apples on-hoof in the library. We need a place to train AJ, slowly.”

Rarity gave a half-grumble, half-whine. “Hrm…I suppose, as long as you stay away from my dresses,” she said threateningly. “At LEAST a ten-foot radius—no, twenty! I need a twenty-foot radius between Applejack and my beautiful projects at all times!”

“How generous of you, Rarity…” Applejack said under her breath at the white unicorn.

“I’ll move some of my designs out of that corner over there, and then you three can train in that spot—and not move from it.”

After Rarity moved four pony-mannequins out of the corner in the right side of her boutique’s lobby, Pinkie, Twilight, and Applejack sat down and got to business.

“Okay, since a real apple turned out too strong for you,” Twilight said, “we’re going to have to start with a smaller ‘next step’. Pinkie, if you would.”

Pinkie grabbed a sheet of stickers out from deep within her labyrinth of cotton-candy hair. “Here you go, Twilight,” she said as the unicorn used her magic to grab the sticker sheet out of Pinkie’s hoof.

“Uh, so now since I can look at a pic of an apple, Ah’m gonna take a step up by lookin’ at a sticker of an apple?” Applejack asked sardonically.

“No, silly filly,” Pinkie teased, “It’s a scratch-and-sniff sticker!”

“Given how you’re so sickened by the smell of real apples,” Twilight elaborated, trying to explain their purpose to a confused Applejack, “we thought it’d be best if you were to first smell the artificial thing.”

“Ah kinda doubt that the difference ‘tween real and fake’ll make much difference to me, Twi,” the earth-pony said, just as Twilight glanced over to Pinkie and gave a nod, to which Pinkie held up a previously-unseen white tablecloth with something round underneath it, and the pink pony blew softly over the cloth to Applejack; the farmer got a single whiff of apples, and she began to taste acid in her mouth. “Fine,” she snapped at the two ponies, “you win. Gimme the gosh-darn sticker.”

Twilight held out the sticker sheet to Applejack, who swiped it out of her hoof. Peeling off the one sticker on the sheet that depicted a green apple on it, Applejack glared at it and proceeded to scratch it, accepting its challenge. After giving it a fair amount of rigorous scratching, the earth-pony brought the sticker close up to her nose and gave it a whiff. Rarity was watching on the other side of the room worriedly, along with a more-enthusiastic Twilight and Pinkie.

The synthetic scent entered Applejack’s nose, and her tricked psychology immediately took notice. She could feel her stomach already wanting to evacuate itself, but the taste of acid didn’t start. She could actually keep back the nausea at this level. “Hey—Ah’m not feelin’ too sick!” she cried eagerly.

“That’s great!” Twilight exclaimed. “In only a matter of two hours, you’ve already beaten two steps—the velocity of your improvement is outstanding!”

“Perhaps Applejack’s body actually wants to get better as much as she does,” Pinkie chirped.

“Or perhaps her body knows deep down that the thing it’s been eating since birth isn’t really a threat,” Twilight replied, looking over confidently at the orange earth-pony. “Though, considering that, one would think you wouldn’t have gotten so sick over them in the first place…”

“Yeah yeah, enough with th’ speculations and all,” Applejack rushed, “Let’s get back to our crash-course! What’s the next step?”

“Don’t you think you should practice a bit more with the sticker?” Twilight asked nervously.

“You kiddin’? After mah performance jus’ now, I’m ready for any—”

Pinkie blew another hard breeze into Applejack’s face from the ‘mystery object’ under the tablecloth, and the smell made Applejack dry-heave to the floor, prompting a hasty “OUTOUTOUT” by Rarity.


“Okay, your rate of improvement has proved to be shockingly fast,” Twilight mentioned as her, Applejack, and Pinkie all walked the dirt road of Ponyville’s outskirts, to the small hut that belonged to one Fluttershy. “And I think we may already be ready to show you the real deal.”

“What’re ya talkin’ about?” Applejack said in a defeated tone. “You saw back at Rarity’s bowteak jus’ how bad I still am—I still can’t even smell a real apple!”

“Actually, you can,” Twilight said with a smile on her face.

Applejack cocked an eyebrow at her unicorn friend. Then Twilight pointed her eyes just above Applejack’s head, and the farmer looked up to see a golden delicious on a string of a makeshift fishing pole that had been hanging just out of her sight by Pinkie, who had been walking behind the two mares. Applejack only just noticed that the smell of apples had been wafting into her nose the entire trip, but now that she was looking one of the forbidden fruits in the face, the nausea immediately hit her. “Huagh…!” she uttered, having to kneel on the ground.

“Drat, I was hoping that’d shock you into step four,” Twilight said, patting the sick mare’s back. “Don’t worry, AJ,” the unicorn reassured, “we’ll take care of this; your progress is a testament to that. Now then, let’s hustle over to Fluttershy’s and nip this in the bud.”

“Yeah, let’s,” Applejack declared while getting back up, her nausea having left her surprisingly faster than it used to.