• Published 3rd Mar 2014
  • 775 Views, 4 Comments

Fancy Pants and The Phantom of Canterlot - Mr Monty



A dark mystery has revealed itself in the grand city of Canterlot. A mystery that can only be solved by a celebrity and a young gentlecolt in training...wait what?

  • ...
0
 4
 775

Chapter 3-The Phantom

Fancy had burst into his home without so much as a knock and did not pause for breath as he made his way straight to his study. Pip, who had fallen behind, was still in the doorway trying to catch his little breath. Fleur, confused, watched as Fancy passed her in the kitchen and turned to see Pip at the door. He smiled nervously and waved.

"Fleur! I need you to whip up another batch of your exquisite tea!" Fancy yelled as he finished taking off his jacket. Toppling books could be heard hitting the floor as he maneuvered through the study in a rush. Fleur turned her attention back to Pip.

"Did you two find something?" Pip halfway nodded.

"Yes and no. Mister Fancy Pants just said something about The Phantom of Canterlot and when I asked him about it he was just silent." Fleur smirked.

"Well, whenever he finds something out he gives everypony else the silent treatment. He calls it 'concentration' though." She rolled her eyes and smiled at him.

"I think you better go in there and help him while I get the tea ready." Pip nodded and made his way to the study, where Fancy was already hard at work. He was sitting at his desk, levitating numerous books to skim through while he wrote some notes down.

"Um, mister Fancy Pants. Can I be of assistance?" Fancy nodded without looking up and levitated a few books toward him. Each book was about the pre and post banishment years of Luna. He opened the first one and skimmed through some of the things he already knew. Like, how the princess was banished, how she came to be banished, her single night of rule and a resistance force who popped up after she had been banished...wait what?

"Mister Fancy, I found something!" He exclaimed. Fancy looked up as the young colt spit the book onto his desk. The book lay open on the segment about a resistance force that formed after Luna's banishment. Fancy smiled and patted him on the back.

"Splendid job,young master Pip!" Pip blushed at the praise and examined the contents with Fancy. After a few seconds Fancy closed the book and got up to look out the window.

"It's hard to believe that such a thing occurred right after an already tragic event." He stared out the window and adjusted his monocle. Pip saw this and adjusted his own, with less success. He then answered the baited question.

"What do you mean, mister Fancy?" He kept his back to Pip as he explained.

"A week after Luna's banishment, ponies who were admirers of her began to revolt against Celestia's rule, calling her a tyrant for such a craven act against her own sister. After a failed, public attempt they went into hiding and deemed themselves as "The Children of the Night". He paused as he heard Fleur come in with some tea. She poured both of them a cup and left without a word, not wanting to interrupt her husbands train of thought. He levitated the cup and took a sip, then he continued.

"It is unknown where they conducted their secret activities. But, investigations have proved that it was somewhere underneath Canterlot Castle in the Crystal Catacombs." Pip raised his hoof like a student and Fancy turned to see it in time.

"Yes, Pip?" Pip cleared his throat and his thoughts before answering.

"Well, if they held their operations under the castle, how were they not noticed by the guards?" Fancy sat down at his desk again and put his hooves together in thought.

"After such an event, I would say that some of the guards were aware of the resistance but did nothing to stop it due to bribery, I would say." Pip, once again, raised his hoof.

"Yes, Pip?"

"But, what does this have to do with the Phantom of Canterlot?" Fancy put his hooves together in thought.

"A lot, actually." Fancy flipped through some notes he had taken during the investigation and from Trenderhoofs statement. Fancy took another sip of tea and looked at Pip's untouched cup.

Pip saw his cup being stared down and grabbed it, sipping it like he was taught to do. Fancy nodded with approval.

"After a few years of underground acts, such as sabotaging trade routes and spreading false rumors around the continent, they wanted to take more drastic actions. Physical acts, more than just sitting around. Then, they hired somepony known as the Phantom." Pip was on the edge of his seat and chewing on his right forearm in suspense. Fancy paused dramatically for a moment and finished his cup of tea. He poured himself another cup and continued.

"This pony was a master thief and of stealth but above all, he was loyal to Princess Luna. It may seem odd that a thief would be loyal to somepony in authority, is it not? Can you tell me why he would be, Pip?" Pip jumped when he heard the mention of his name and stammered.

"Um, because the night concealed his activities?" Fancy clapped his hooves together and smiled.

"That is right. Anyways, upon hearing of the group, he immediately joined and helped them spread their name all over Equestria. He stole top secret parchments, supplies and he even came close to stealing the royal crown itself." Pip gasped and took another sip of tea, as did Fancy Pants.

"Right off of Celestia's head?" Pip asked. Fancy chuckled.

"No, but I would be surprised if he couldn't!" They chuckled for a minute before calming down. Pip then asked a different question.

"What happened to him?" Fancy closed his eyes and sighed.

"I do not know, some reports have said that he was captured and put to death but such records, from what I have seen, do not exist." He leaned back a little in his chair. For a moment he did nothing but stare at the ceiling. Then he smirked.

"I believe it is time we do some investigating into this matter." Pip perked up immediately.

"D-Do you mean we're going to..."

"Yes Pip, we are going to Canterlot Castle." Pip jumped out of his seat and yelled in excitement. He began to run around Fancy's desk and kept on screaming "Yes!". Fancy grabbed him with his magic and set him back down in his seat.

"Now, now dear boy. Settle down." He chuckled at the young ones excitement and sipped some more tea.

"Do you think I will be able to meet Princess Luna?!" His smile could have touched the ceiling if it were not attached to his small body. Fancy smiled at him.

"I would say so, after all, we need permission from Princess Celestia herself if we hope to get in the Crystal Catacombs at all." Pip jumped in excitement again and ran to the door to the study.

"I am going to pack my things!" When Pip left to go and get his saddlebags, Fancy pulled out the locket and looked at it with curiosity. He studied it for a while and set it down on his desk.

"No sign of burn marks, nor did it go with Upper Crust herself." Fancy began to ponder this and looked at the clock. It was 6:07. He gasped and pulled out the two invitations to Jet's formal ball.

Congratulations!

You are either well known enough, or lucky enough to have your hooves on this invitation. If you stole it, then I would have to say that you just stole something as priceless as the Princess's crown itself! Be both proud and ashamed of yourself, please.

The Formal Ball begins at 6:30 Pm. Please wear formal attire or you will be denied entrance.

Why? Because this is a formal ball! Not some backwater "hoedown". I look forward to seeing you there, or not, if you stole this, some happy guards will be wanting to see you.

Ta, Ta!

*Special Note: Colts and fillies get in free, if with their guardian or parents, of course.

"Oh dear! I completely forgot!" Fancy put on his jacket, tie, readjusted his monocle again and headed for the door. Fancy was about to yell for Pip, until he saw him already conveniently dressed in formal attire.

"You really shouldn't read out loud." He turned to see his wife already in a beautiful, black gown with her cutie mark emblazoned on the chest. Fancy was both stunned, and confused.

"How did you get all of this done within two minutes?" Fleur giggled and kissed him on the cheek.

"Fancy, you should know of all the things I can do in just a span of two minutes." Fancy blushed and chuckled to himself as Pip's face was redder than any apple ever put on Equestria. Fancy cleared his throat and made his way to the door.

"Shall we milady?" Fleur smirked and made her way out the door and he turned to Pip, who looked confused.

"I thought we were going to the castle tonight?" Fancy sighed and looked down at him.

"I completely forgot about the ball, dear boy. We can go tomorrow though. Don't worry." He said with a smile. Pip looked sad at first but cheered up.

"Alright then. Lead the way, mister Fancy Pants." Pip charged outside and met with Fleur, who was waiting ever so patiently.

***

After calling a taxi, who stopped the entire line of traffic behind him just to pick them up, they rode to the mansion where the ball would take place. Just as said on the invitation, Jet Set was at the door greeting all of the guest who came in. His face lit up when he seen Fancy had arrived.

"Fancy Pants! You made it just in time!" Fancy looked at his watch and smirked when he seen that they had actually arrived at 6:30 exactly.

"Well, we were doing a bit of research before we arrived but it was no trouble getting here." Jet nodded as he helped Fleur off of the carriage taxi. Fancy paid for the ride and made sure Pip was still at his side as they entered.

The ball took place in a large, appropriately named, ball room and it was filled to the brim with high-class ponies. Some of them nearly spilled their drink or cheered when they seen Fancy Pants arrive. He simply waved and smiled in response. They began to hurl compliments or offers at him.

"Mister Fancy! Can I get you a drink?"

"Fancy Pants! You look splendid as always!"

"May I have this dance?"

"Will you marry me?!"

"I have never seen such a handsome stallion!"

Fancy Pants had gotten used to the way ponies had treated him, and this was no different than any other day. Smiling and waving was all he could do. If he answered them, then he would anger somepony else for not answering their compliment or request.

Pip, meanwhile, was busy admiring the room itself. Noting the giant chandelier that hang over their heads first. He seen several tables scattered over the room that held wine tasting and punch bowls. An ice sculpture of Celestia sat in the middle of the room on a golden pedestal, along with the band who was playing a slow song for the ponies already dancing on the floor around the statue.

"The decor is brilliant, is it not?" Pip nearly jumped through the ceiling when he heard the voice, he turned to see a pony wearing a dark blue suit with a purple tie standing next to him. His mane was light brown while his coat was dark grey and he was a unicorn, just like almost everypony else. However, he was wearing strange reflective glasses to cover his eyes. He was smiling as he looked over the room with Pip.

After Pip had stopped his heart from bursting from his chest, he managed to say something after clearing his throat and adjusting his monocle back onto his face.

"Yes, the decorations are very nice." He smiled awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck. He turned back to see if he was still there. He found an empty space where the pony had been standing.

Pip jumped again and looked around cautiously. All he seen were ponies enjoying their night out and sometimes saying weird things and strange words. Pip went to find his mentor in a fright. Just then, the lights dimmed and all focus was turned to the middle of the room. The statue's pedestal, that held the band had been cleared to allow Jet Set to stand by himself.

"Attention everypony! It is my pleasure to welcome you all here tonight! I know that some of you have heard of an event involving...my wife. However! She would not want me to hold up an event as important as this one for her so...I think it would be best for us to throw it in her honor tonight." The crowd began to clap their hooves on the marble floors and a few cheers were thrown in.

"However, this ball would not have been tonight without the help of one of my best friends. I want you all to applaud the most important pony in Canterlot, excluding the princesses of course, Fancy Pants!" The room burst with applause and whistles towards Fancy Pants, wherever he was. Pip still cheered non the less.

"Now, I would like to give a big thank you to-" The room went black. Pip began to scream along with the rest of the crowd at the sudden darkness. However, the lights kicked on to reveal Jet Set on stage. But he had company.

The pony that Pip had seen earlier was holding Jet Set's neck on the edge of a sword that he held in his hoof. Everypony gasped and began to panic. However, their panicking was brought to a halt when ponies in cloaks had covered the exits and a whistle had been blown.

"I'm sorry to disturb your wonderful night, everypony. However, this pony has been a bad stallion and did a little to much digging into things he should not know about." Jet Set attempted to scream but he was stopped by the stallions other hoof, which now covered his mouth.

"One of you to rich for pants ponies in here has an item that belongs to us. A locket that this fools wife stole. I would recommend handing it over, before I have to ruin this beautiful pedestal with a splash of red." Ponies began to whisper among themselves in a panic.

"I believe that will not be necessary."

Everypony had quieted down upon seeing which pony had uttered the phrase. Fancy Pants. He approached the stage and met the pony face to face, who still had his grip on Jet Set. Jet Set's muffled screams were brought to a silence by a little pressure on the blade.

"Well, well. If it isn't the pony everypony should know. Fancy Pants is it?" Fancy Pants ignored him and pulled out something from the inside of his coat pocket. The golden locket floated in his orange magic aura. The stallions cocky smile vanished upon seeing it.

Silence filled the room for a whole minute, until the stallion began to speak.

"So, the gentlecolt of Canterlot has our most prized locket, eh?" He took the blade away from Jet's neck and played around with it.

"That is right, I demand that you let him go. I will return your locket and you may leave. No tricks or cheats." The stallion laughed.

"I am afraid it is not that simple. You have laid hoof on the locket without being in our clan and therefore, you will not be leaving here tonight. I'm sorry, but that is our code." The room grew colder by the second. Pip was struggling to get to the front of the crowd without being noticed by the hooded villains so that he could help him.

"Very well then. How about a duel of sorts? That will settle this fairly." Fancy suggested. The pony recoiled in surprise. He laughed once again.

"Not only are you rich, but you are brave as well." He poked his chin with the tip softly as he considered the offer.

"Very well. I accept your challenge. If you win, I will let him go and we will leave. If I win, then I will take the locket and his life." Jet Set screamed once again, but it was muffled by the mysterious stallions hoof.

"Very well." The stallion released Jet Set from his grasp but he grabbed him with his magic. He waited for more of his clan to come and tie him up against the Celestia ice statue. After they did so, he clacked his hooves on the ground and another one of his clan members magically gave him a sword.

After tossing it to Fancy, and he caught it with his magic, they got into fighting stances. The stallion seemed jumpy and eager but Fancy remained calm as the sound of his magic echoed in the still room. Fancy only said two words. And those two words started the duel for both his and Jet Set's life.

"After you."

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! I just simply had to get his chapter out by today. I felt that it would be better if you guys learned about the Phantom today instead of making you all wait. Remember, a gentleman is always honest in his criticism.