• Published 25th Mar 2012
  • 4,656 Views, 128 Comments

Dovahkiin - Silent_Witness



Spike must fulfill his destiny and fight an evil that threatens to swallow the world.

  • ...
9
 128
 4,656

Prologue: The End

Prologue: The End

It was done.

The dragon set down the piece of charcoal he had been using on the stone floor, and stood up straight to inspect his work. The circle had turned out rather well, he thought- the runes and incantations on the edge, and the lines and geometric shapes near the center were exactly where they should have been. These details were important, for the circle the dragon had drawn was no ordinary circle- in fact, it was a very special structure, one that any unicorn worth their salt would be able to identify.

The dragon had drawn a magic circle, a structure needed to cast some of the most advanced spells the world had ever known.

He had been working on this circle for several years now. Well, not actually working on the circle itself- that had taken only a few days. Rather, he’d spent most of that time researching, poring over what few books and scrolls had survived, and searching through his memories for even the tiniest scrap of information that could help him. But he had to admit, he was taking a big risk- until this day, he had never in his life attempted to cast a spell with a circle. And despite all his research and calculations, all of this was still only theoretical- there was no way to know if it would work until he actually tried.

He wished she was still with him. She would know if he was doing this right. She knew everything.

…But she was gone now.

Satisfied, the dragon moved on to the next step. He picked up a small satchel lying nearby; opening it, he reached in and began to set its contents along the outer edge of the circle. A brilliant-cut ruby, a small handful of dried saffron leaves, a candle made from beeswax, the teeth of a manticore, a chunk of raw, unrefined iron ore, dust from a mummified body, and a bonsai tree; one-by-one, the items were set on the outer edge of the circle, until all seven were in their proper places.

Some of these items would have seemed rather unusual to the average pony, and the procurement of all had been especially difficult. But the unique properties the items possessed made them absolutely essential if he was going to do this correctly. He checked, and he double-checked to ensure everything was in order, which it was.

Everything was finally ready.

There was just one thing he had left to do.

Stretching his aching shoulder, he turned away from his work and left the crumbling great hall, the entrance to this once great palace… and where all of this had started. The rugs and tapestries of the hall had long since rotted away, leaving the walls and floors bare, their stonework cracked and chipped; from time to time, there would be a faint rumble and a small amount of dust would fall from the ceiling, as the husk of a building strained to support its own weight.

The dragon passed through a great arch where two grand, golden doors had once stood. A cool night breeze passed over his scales, soothing the ache in his shoulder just a little bit… though in truth, such distinctions as “night” and “day” no longer existed.

The sun had long since been extinguished, having died with its master. For that matter, the moon was gone as well, having been put out for even longer. The only light in this world came from the countless stars scattered above, or from the small handful of fires the dragon had lit. But on this particular “night,” no stars could be seen overhead. And the dragon’s shoulder had been aching ever since he’d woken up. He knew what it meant- it would rain soon. He was so used to the weather just… happening now that he could hardly remember a time when it was scheduled.

He should get this over with.

With ease, the dragon traversed the shattered courtyard that lay just outside the grand hall. Near the heart of this courtyard rested the skeletal remains of a dragon much like himself. Rage flared in his heart as he passed it by; he hocked, and then spat on the bones of his own kin… of the one who had taken everything away from him.

The dragon left the courtyard and entered what once had been the palace gardens, navigating through dead trees and broken statues. He knew the path he walked by heart- he’d walked down it every day for the last ten years. Before long, he came to an overlook near the garden’s north edge. Many years ago, a pony could stand at the edge of this overlook, and allow all the natural beauty Equestria had to offer to wash over them. But even now, with its darkened and scorched landscape, the view was magnificent in its own, twisted way.

But the dragon didn’t come here for the view.

At the edge of this cliff stood a stone slab that he had carried here from the ruined palace. The slab was simple, if a bit rough around the edges, with but one feature on its smooth face: a name. Specifically, the name of the pony buried beneath it, carved into the stone with the dragon’s own claws. The dragon sat down in front of the slab; for a short while, he was silent, wringing his claws, trying to build up the courage to speak.

“…Hey,” he began, his voice low. “I guess it’s been a while since we talked, hasn’t it?”

There was no answer.

There never was.

“Do you remember that… project I’ve been talking about?” he asked.

Silence.

“…Well, I finished it.” He took a deep breath. “I’m finally gonna do it. I’m gonna go back, and I’m gonna make everything right.”

What would she have said now, if she’d known what he was going to do? The obvious came to him- endless warnings about tampering with the past: don’t touch anything, don’t talk to anypony, don’t do this, don’t go there, don’t touch that.

Even now, he could still hear her voice so clearly.

The dragon hung his head. “Listen, I have to tell you something. I… I don’t think I’ll be able to keep my promise.” Many years ago, the dragon and his pony friend had vowed that they would never leave each other. Technically, he supposed she had already broken the promise by… dying; but even then, he had stayed right here, coming to this place every day to be close to her. “You… aren’t upset, are you?”

There was no reply.

The dragon wondered for a moment if she would have supported what he was doing. Well, even if she didn’t, he still would have gone through with his plan; even if the spell ended up teleporting him into a volcano or turned him inside-out or just outright exploded him, anything would have been better than just sitting around moping.

Then it hit him- this is exactly what she would have wanted. For him to go out, to fix what had been broken… or die trying.

He stood up, and embraced the slab. “Well, I guess this is goodbye then. I… I loved you. …I love you.” Small droplets began to fall onto the slab, but no rain fell from the sky. “I just wish that I had the chance to tell you that, before… before…” He didn’t finish. He never would.

He let the slab go. “I’m sorry. But I need to get going.” Wiping his eyes, he turned away from the slab, and began the long walk back to the palace.

He wished he could have brought her flowers.

He passed through the courtyard again, spitting on the draconic skeleton as he passed it, and reentered the great hall. He came to the circle and looked it over one last time, taking a deep breath.

This was it. Ten years of poring over books, scouring his memories, and searching crumbling old ruins had finally led to this moment.

He stepped into the circle, closed his eyes, and cleared his mind, as he’d been instructed. Then, he began to concentrate, calling upon the power that dwelled inside him, unaware of the glow emanating from the circle beneath his feet. The glow became brighter, and soon small bolts of electricity began to dart across the circle. But the dragon paid no attention to it- his mind was focused elsewhere. A powerful wind began to blow in the hall, snuffing out the fires the dragon had lit. The bolts of electricity grew larger and larger, shooting across the whole room as a pure, intense white light began to shine from the dragon. The wind howled, the electricity surged, and the light became blindingly bright… but the dragon stood at the heart of it all, eerily calm as he concentrated, feeling the energy flow out from him and into the circle, swirling and raging, until…

There was a blinding flash of light, and a great clap of thunder.

After a moment, the wind died down, a few stray sparks of electricity dispersed, and the room’s various loose articles fell still as the world was silent once more.
The dragon was nowhere to be found.

Outside, rain began to fall. It fell to the earth and soaked into the scorched soil. It fell into ruined houses and flowed through broken streets. It washed over the slab, long lines of raindrops streaming down its face like tiny rivers. But the name scratched into the stone remained legible, even through the raindrops streaming down its face. Even after ten years, the name remained just as clear as the day it had been carved. The dragon had wanted to make sure that the name remained, no matter what- he was fairly certain the slab could have been hit by a meteor, and that name would remain legible.

That name, which meant more to him than any other.

That name…

Twilight Sparkle