• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 641 Views, 1 Comments

The Nightmares Return - Optimistic Pessimist



Nightmare Moon is no more... or is she?

  • ...
 1
 641

What Have I done to Deserve?

Jester was leaning against his blade, dug deep into the ground to provide a back rest. He looked into the sky. It was a dark night sky, stars blinking in and out of sight. Few tears, but tears nonetheless, ran down his cheek. “You’re a fool Jester Klyde Cross. A stupid fool.”

Twilight caught up with Pinkie Pie. They were galloping through the thick growth of the Everfree Forest. “What happened Pinkie Pie? Why are you in such a hurry?” Pinkie Pie turned to Twilight, and she could see tears running down her cheeks. “If what I think is true...”

Jester looked to the ground. “Just when you thought you belonged, you get kicked out.” Jester let another tear fall, and he looked back to the sky. “It hurts.”

Twilight looked at the two gems that Pinkie Pie produced. “They’re beautiful! Where did you find them?” They glowed a light blue from its core. It was smooth as a river pebble, and shaped as a rain drop. Pinkie Pie tossed them to Twilight, and she caught them with her magic. “The last time I saw them,” Pinkie Pie choked on her words. “The owner killed himself.” Twilight gasped.


“Forget it Jester, you don’t belong. You’re thrice accursed blank flank.” It was true. despite his age, he had yet to earn a cutie mark. The Preludes of Chaos floated gently around him. He looked at them. ”Denial, Frustration, Paranoia, Greed, Indifference and Magic. That’s me.” Another tear fell.

Pinkie Pie sniffed as Twilight watched. “They are beautiful. Rarity won’t find another like it.” Twilight looked sadly confused. “Why is that?” Pinkie Pie choked again. “It’s one of those ancient legends.” Pinkie Pie looked back forward. “There’s an old saying, ’The joy of others, the pain of one. Jewels of ones eyes, that never see the sun.’” Twilight frowned. She looked back at the beautiful gems. It was just like the saying. It’s beauty was unrivaled, and yet, it came from the depths of self-loathing.

Jester looked down to the floor again. “You will never have a place. You never have. The Preludes just kicks you even further.” Jester dislodged his blade from the ground. “No reason to live, no happier alive.” He started swinging the blade in a circle. “I shall be my own reaper.”

A distant thud startled Pinkie Pie and Twilight. “NO! JESTER!” Pinkie Pie wailed as she immediately darted off towards the sound. Twilight followed quickly. How could Jester feel such a way? What had happened?

Jester opened his eyes. A partially split instrument lay between him and the blade that would have removed his head. He looked up. A gray mare clung to the neck of the cello that was now broken. “What do you think you’re doing?” Jester dropped his blade in surprise. The earth pony quickly leaped off before the cello and the blade fell to the ground. “You weren't trying to kill yourself, were you?” she walked up to him. Jester looked down. “So it was true.” She backed up. “Why would you try to do that?” Jester had no reply. “Look, I can never help if you don’t let me help.” Jester looked up. “What help can you provide?” She looked surprised. “I don’t know. I can’t know until I try now can I?” Jester looked to the floor again. “I am Octavia. It’s alright if you haven’t heard of me.” Jester looked up. “The Octavia? You are Octavia?” The mare nodded. “Yes I am. You’ve heard of me?” Jester nodded. “You are only the most brilliant pony ever to play the cello! I love your pieces.” Octavia blushed. “Do you really? No pony really listens to classical anymore.” Jester shrugged. “I agree, but classical is very... how do I put it? Very... soothing.” Octavia smiled. “What are you doing here anyway? A pony such as yourself should be in Canterlot, mingling with high class ponies?” Jester watched as Octavia pulled the Crescent Wave from her cello. “I usually come here to practice. It’s very calm around here.” She looked hopelessly at her broken instrument. “Here, let me help you with that.” Jester called the Preludes to him. The diamonds swirled around the broken cello, spreading a light glow to it. Suddenly they dug themselves into a nearby tree. The tree collapsed, leaving behind an instrument. A cello. But it lacked the polishing and strings. Taking the strings from the old instrument, the new instrument was restrung, and tested. It had a beautiful quality. The diamonds swirled around the freshly fallen tree, extracting the sap from the trunk. It poured over the new instrument, shining it to a light reflection. Octavia took a hold of the new cello. “Wow. How did you do that? You’re an earth pony!” The Preludes floated back to Jester, and resumed their orbit. “These diamonds. They’re called the Preludes of Chaos.” Octavia scratched her head. “That name rings a bell.”

“JESTER!” Jester turned to see Pinkie Pie crash into him. “Pinkie?” She was sobbing. “JESTER! JESTER I WAS SO...!” Her voice was lost in a fit of sobbing and tears. Twilight burst from the undergrowth and looked around. “Jester, there you are! We were looking for you!” Pinkie sniffed. “Why did you do it?” Octavia spoke up. “I stopped him. I don’t understand why though.” Pinkie Pie looked over to Twilight. “Oh! Right.” She produced the two shining gems. “Wow, those are beautiful! Where’d you find them?” Twilight looked at Jester, who was gazing at the gems. “They’re yours Jester. These are your tears.” Jester gaped. “How...?” Octavia looked over at the gems. “Ah, memories.” She reached behind her and produced a pair of almost identical gems.

Pinkie Pie looked up in surprise. “Tavi, you have them too?” Octavia nodded. “I was just a little filly.” She looked back at her gems. “My mother had sent me to a music school.” She looked back up. “Everyday it was the same thing. I’d pick up an instrument, and everyday I’d be lectured for being such a bad player.” Jester looked at her quizzically. “I was stupidly stubborn, and so it came to one day, while I was being lectured, these two fell on the floor.” She promptly held up the gems. “Vinyl Scratch happened upon them, and found me on the floor, a cut in my neck and a bloody bow.” She pulled her collar down. Sure enough, there was a small scar on the side of her neck. “If Vinyl Scratch had not been there, I wouldn’t be here right now. I owe my life to her.” a few tears fell from Octavias eyes. “Anyway, that’s it. Funny how the instrument that almost killed me pulled me out of it, huh?” She chuckled. The rest of them just blinked. “Yeah I guess...” Jester looked up. Pinkie was still on top of him and her mane had puffed up back to normal.

Pinkie Pie looked back at Jester. “Oh! Sorry!” She got off of Jester. “No problem.” suddenly Fluttershy burst through the undergrowth. “Pinkie Pie! There you are!” Jester looked up at Fluttershy. “The Nightmare is waking up, isn’t she?” Fluttershy blinked. “How did you know?” Jester looked off to the side. “Something like that isn’t going to keep a Nightmare down. Let’s go.” Jester blazed off. The others took off after them. Octavia just stared. “So, Jester. We will meet again.” She looked at her new cello. “It still amazes me.” She hefted it onto her back, and set off.

As they were heading back to Canterlot, Jester turned to Twilight. “After the Nightmare is subdued, I probably will be going back to the Forest.” Twilight looked back. “Why? We still have to find a way to seal the Nightmares away.” Jester sighed. “I know. But I might upset the others.” Twilight was confused. “Why is that?” “Let’s just say they aren’t in the best of moods right now.” Twilight was confused again.

“Twilight! There ya are! She was becoming a handful.” Applejack struck the Nightmare again, blowing her back a few feet. “FOAL! That isn’t enough!” Jester rushed in from above, wielding the Crescent wave. He became a blur as he struck out at the Nightmare. The Nightmare struggled to keep standing. Jester became visible as he slid back. His blade crackled with red lightning as he struck against the ground, sending a large black and red shock wave towards the Nightmare. It engulfed her, launching lightning and igniting flames on the Nightmare. When it finally stopped, the Nightmare collapsed, unconscious, electricity arcing across her body, smoking heavily.

“Jester? I thought you were gone for GOOD!” Rainbow Dash walked up to Jester. Applejack looked at him. “We don’t need no traitor here.” Jester simply sighed, and he turned to the Nightmare. “It was YOU GUYS!?” Pinkie Pie looked at both of them. Rainbow Dash pointed at Jester. “I can’t believe him! He was friends with Nightmare Moon!” Applejack nodded. “Eternal Night? Only him and Nightmare Moon can agree to that!” Pinkie Pie looked at Jester, and looked back. “That doesn’t mean anything! The only thing it can mean is a difference in opinion!” Rarity spoke up. “How can you support such a bad pony?” Pinkie Pie turned on Rarity. “Because I know him!” Jester looked back at Pinkie Pie. “Just because he was friends with Nightmare Moon doesn’t make him a bad pony.” Twilight nodded. “That simply means that they shared a common interest at one point or another.”

Fluttershy spoke up. “He’s gone!” Everyone turned their heads. There on the ground where Jester had once been, was a simple black scroll, bound in a blood red ribbon. Twilight picked it up.

I knew this was bound to happen one day or another. I knew I would be rejected from this group as with all the other groups. Who do I call a friend? Where can I call home? Where else but the place where all are rejects? If you seek me, you may find me where the clouds float free, where the animals care for themselves, and where the plants grow to their hearts content...

“...The Everfree Forest.” Twilight finished the letter. “My my MY what a drama queen.” Rarity spoke.Twilight frowned. How did he know? Was he expecting this all along? Did it just catch him off guard? “Never mind him. We still have the Nightmares to seal up. How do we do it?” Rainbow Dash looked hopelessly at the Nightmares. “Like ah said before, why not get another host for them?” Twilight nodded, putting the letter away. “Let me see if Princess Luna has woken up yet.” Fluttershy followed Twilight to where the Princesses were resting. “Princess Luna, are you alright?” The princess of the Night looked up. “We have seen better days.” Twilight nodded. “The Nightmares are loose. We have them contained, but we need a host to secure them.” Princess Luna nodded. “Where is Nightmare Moon? We will see to it that she never wreaks havoc on this land again.” Twilight smiled, and led the princess to the Nightmare.