• Published 7th Feb 2014
  • 638 Views, 4 Comments

The Struggle of Love and Darkness - EvelynMonroe



Shortly after the cleansing of Nightmare Moon, Princess Luna finds herself struggling with the painful memories of her past and her relationship with Celestia. Will she be able to redeem herself along side her sister as ruler of Equestria? Rated T

  • ...
1
 4
 638

Words Can Speak Truth

Later that day..

"..and that is why my dear wife and I have traveled for many days just to be able to see you princess, as we truly believe that you will find it in your heart to help us in our dire time of need.." he said, with a hint of pain in his voice.

In the mighty throne room, standing before Celestia and her royal guards, stood a tethered and rugged pony alongside his wife. They had been struggling through some very hard times as their appearance reflected it quite clearly. They looked up at the mighty solar princess awaiting her response, but a long moment passed with no reply, as she appeared to be spaced out.

"Ahem.. princess?" said one of the royal guards, quickly snapping her out of it.

She looked around, taking notice that all eyes were on her.. quietly staring.. waiting for an answer.

"I am terribly sorry young gentle-colt, can you please repeat that to me again?" replied Celestia, now trying with all her concentration to focus on the task at hand.

"What part did you need me to repeat your highness?" asked the stallion, a little taken back by her lack of attention to their request.

"From the beginning, please." she replied, now putting on her attentive face.

The guards began to chatter among themselves quietly as they noticed a slight change in their princess this morning as she seemed very.. troubled. They were right, Celestia clearly was troubled. The recent mishap with her sister weighed heavily on her mind.

"Well.. I um.. Let's see.." replied the stallion nervously, struggling to find the place where he had started.

"Princess.. are you alright?" Shining Armor asked quietly, with a worried look on his face. He was one of her most trusted and highly respected guards as he stood just to the right of her throne chair, displaying a tall and mighty appearance.

She was clearly not alright, as a matter of fact, she was a wreck. She could not help but crucify herself over and over in her mind as she recalled the exchange she had with her sister not too long ago. She took a moment to fight away the tears before turning to look at Shining Armor, faking a smile.

"I..I'm fine. I just had a minor.. mishap, with my little sister this morning is all.." she replied, faking happiness as best she could, but her heart ached with sadness.

Shining Armor knew her princess well, too well as a matter of fact, as he could clearly see through her fake front. He immediately stepped in front of the her, stopping just shy of the top step. He put on a serious face as he cleared his throat before addressing the other guards and the two ponies before him.

"Please accept my apologies as I am now cancelling this court hearing along with the rest of the scheduled hearings for today, as the princess is not in the proper state to be addressed at this moment." he said in a authoritative tone.

Chatter broke out among the guards again, this time a lot more audible. Celestia would normally convene to such an act, but he was right.. she was hurting inside. A very deep hurt that continued to singe her heart and mind with every second that would pass by.

"Guards, escort these kind citizens along with the rest waiting outside to the royal sleeping quarters. Give them each a room, as we will continue these hearings tomorrow morning."

"Yes sir!" replied the guards, as they did just as he requested. A few moments passed as they all left the room, the sound of their hooves quickly fading down the long hallways of the royal castle halls.

"Shining Armor.." Celestia softly spoke.

"Yes, your highness?" he replied, as he turned his head around to face her, his body still facing towards the direction where he had addressed his fellow guards.

"Thank you.." she replied with a smile.. a real smile this time.

Pride filled his heart as he felt relieved that he did the right thing.. acting on instinct, just like any true royal guard would do.

"I'm glad that I could help princess.." he said, returning a friendly smile. After a small pause, he turned and headed towards the exit.

"Shining Armor.. wait.." said Celestia, causing him to stop in his tracks.

"It is like you were able read my feelings.. like an open book.. How did you do that?" she asked, as she dried her watering eyes with her hoof.

Shining Armor could not help but smile at her question, as he turned his head to face the princess again.

"You are not the only one with a sister Celestia.." He said as he paused for a moment, looking down towards the ground.

"I know how you are feeling.. because I have experienced that same pain you are struggling with now" he said, now looking Celestia directly in her eyes.

"Whatever you do Celestia.. just remember to never give up on your sister, no matter how much hurt you feel, no matter how tough it gets.." He took another moment to pause, as he recalled the time he let Twilight down..

"Because if you do.. you will regret it for the rest of your life, just like I have.." he finished, emotions wavering in his heart.

Celestia sat in silence as she listened to the mighty doors gently close behind him. The truth he spoke in his words.. it rung loudly in her heart as she tried her best to hold back the now forming tears in her eyes. The room fell silent as she sat there, replaying those words he spoke to her in her mind over and over again. Suddenly.. it hit her. She sucked up her tears and lifted her gaze from the ground. Determination now burning in her eyes as she stood up off her throne.

"I know what I must do now.." she said to herself, spreading her wings and giving them a few test flaps. She left the room, walking the long hallways of the canterlot castle until she finally reached her destination.

"Thank you again for your wisdom Shining Armor.." she softly said to herself as she stood on her bedroom balcony, that same balcony her dear sister first arrived through that morning.

She took one last glance into her mirror, only to see Luna in her own reflection..

"Hang in there little sister, I am coming for you.. whether you like it or not" she finished as she spread her impressive wings, taking flight far off into the horizon.

End of Chapter 4

Please proceed to the next chapter...