• Published 13th Feb 2014
  • 403 Views, 0 Comments

Intellect at its finest - Meilha



When Noteworthy moves in with his colleague, he discovers his true self and what it means to love somepony.

  • ...
 0
 403

Chapter 1

This story I will tell as best I can recall. I write it in dedication of the late Soothing Tone, and every pony who is unsure of who they really are. Now, I do not hope to depress anypony, for Soothing Tone would never have wanted such a thing to be on his account. I will tell this story as if his cheerful spirit guides my ink to form the words that he would have wanted.

June 11

Now, as I recall, it was one of those delightfully cool June days. Not so perfect as a particularly bodacious mare intentionally flaunting her plot whilst bending over right in front of you, but the type of perfect you might feel from a smooth melody executed without a flaw, quite in contrast with the former. I was blue in color, with an even darker blue mane, and four eighth notes on my flank. I, Noteworthy, of gallant stature and of great importance, was riding in the most luxurious vehicle I could find, and was being pulled by the strongest stallions that were available. You should wish to know that I was not riding "from" anywhere, as I had no origin. Now, obviously I had departed from someplace where I could obtain a means of travel, but what I mean is that I had no place to call home. I am a traveling musician, and I perform at many prestigious concert halls. However I was not unfamiliar with Ponyville's layout, for I had come here many times in the past for the very reason of enjoying the scenery.

But this occasion was not for sight seeing. A colleague of mine had invited me to live with him. This was Soothing Tone. While I played many songs all over Equestria, he was the one to write the songs. He had such a brilliant mind I found it quite fascinating, he seemed to capture my beloved Ponyville's essence in his work. I knew he was brilliant despite the few times I had actually spoken to him because of his music. He wrote to me that he was having trouble writing music, and prayed I would aid him in his troubles. I accepted, for this problem affected me quite directly. Besides, it was a vacation I could very well relish.

Whilst I sat in my luxurious carriage, the vehicle slowed down to stop right in the middle of the rode. This frustrated me for I wanted to be on my way. I emerged from my carriage in the most respectful manner I could muster and turned my eyes toward the problem so important as to apprehend my progress. As expected, there in fact was no problem present that I could grasp importance of. I had thought at first that maybe the world was coming to an end, but it did not seem so. I then predicted the sky had suddenly become so heavy with the universe that it simply crumbled and was falling down to crush us all. But no, these things were not of cause. The problem, if it may be considered as such, was the crossing of a mother duck and her ducklings. Surely the ducklings could dodge this fast and large carriage, is this not an obvious action to take in such a situation? And perhaps the drivers might not have stopped, had it not been for the Pegasus guarding them and assuring their safe crossing. She was of creme color, with a flowing pink mane and bearing butterflies on her flank. Now to stallions I always behave in the most respectful manner I find to be absolute. And to mares I always try to be charming. But I disliked ponies who aided lowly, insignificant animals. I did not see the point. This with combination of my frustration caused my actions to be less than respectful or charming. I walked right over to the mother duck, and said, "The safe crossing of these insignificant ducks are of no concern to us intelligent pony folk!", and I then kicked the mother duck with a fairly good force. The duck looked bewildered, as it was obviously spoiled by this Pegasus. The Pegasus did not enjoy my actions in the least. At first glance she looked to be of the quiet and reserved type, one who avoids conflict at all possible. But once my hoof made contact with the duck, she went berserk, she "got into my grill", as one might say, although I was always one to take sayings such as that sexually. After making sure I was completely aware of my heinous crime, she turned and flew off in quite a sassy manner.

Before she was far, I said, "I am glad we could meet and I hope we may acquire more pleasant confrontations in the future." In spite of all of this, I cannot lie. I was quite allured. She had a certain quality I had yet to discover in a mare. It intrigued me, and so I actually meant what I said and hoped I may study her nature more so. One of the two drivers commented on how I had not respect for mares. I disregarded this and climbed into my carriage.

I chose not to think about these things, for I knew that the real reason for my disrespectful behavior towards mares was not simply because it was my belief they did not deserve respect. It was because I had given up on finding love, and filled this hole in my life with satisfaction not so noble. But enough about mares. These things I do not wish to recollect.

Soon I arrived at the address Soothing Tone had written me. I was surprised to find his house of quite peculiar structure. It seemed to be built right inside a tree. The only house in sight that obtained such an appearance. Of course I had seen it before whilst I walked in Ponyville, but I had no idea the tree-house belonged to Soothing Tone. I was not surprised for long however, for I suppose I should have guessed his taste would be quite refined and eccentric as my own.

I knocked at the door and waited. At length, the door swung open quickly, and there stood Soothing Tone. He acquired a black color, with a dark blue mane, and very strong chin. His horn was always polished and shining. He wore a freshly ironed suit, which covered his posterior. I should have thought it strange I had never seen his cutie mark, but I guessed he wanted an always gentlepony like appearance.

Wearing a positively genuine smile, he said, "Noteworthy you cheeky bastard you! Let me take your bags, you are my guest. Come in, come in!" He took my bags and almost ran into the interior. I somewhat hesitantly entered myself and let my eyes devour the gloriously refined scene. Books all around me, every wall seemed to be covered with them. Each and every one seemingly exactly where it ought to be, everything tidy and in order. Taking a closer look, I found many books about magical uses. Glancing here and there, not a single musical document was to be found. I turned around at the sound of Soothing Tone descending the stairs.

I said, "Soothing Tone, I think I may have already discovered your problem! You are not surrounded by a single musical essential. Where is your lined paper?"

He replied somewhat uncomfortably, "Actually, this home belongs to a friend of mine who is off on business. My own place is being completely redone, the whole works. Damn rules and regulations, that is it. I will send for my essential items soon. But we shall save all chat for the morrow. You must be tired from the travel. Make a hasty toilet, for I have prepared a meal quite magnificent. After you have been refreshed I will send for a mare that might please you, best in town. I understand this is how you must release your emotions. Now, I must finish preparing the dinner table." He ascended the stairs once again.

I did not know how he knew about my great lust for mares, but I did not care at the time either. I thought it was a capital idea. Soothing Tone might have been quite eccentric, but his hospitality was sincere. Whilst making my toilet I decided I would quite like my stay. After I had finished eating, I waited in delightful anticipation.

Author's Note:

If you are confused on their dialect, I will provide more background later.
Tell me what you think.