• Published 7th Feb 2014
  • 423 Views, 11 Comments

Carminis - Xiroxel



A young musician is trying to work his way through college and get his name out as well. He finds that after college, the real world is much more frightening than first thought.

  • ...
3
 11
 423

Chapter One

Chapter One

-----

The North Fillydelphia University campus grounds were impressive, in short. The university sat foremost of a massive bluff that towered over the city. The campus itself was claimed to be a masterpiece of art and architecture. Even with a massive education hall that branched off into several different buildings, the floating, cloudy pegasus branch of the university seemed to be one of the most awe inspring aspects of the college. Some of the more jaw dropping features were the gardens filled with blue "Lunar Roses" along wth the "Solar Poinsettias" that the college developed in honor of Canterlot's finest, and the renaissance era art sculptures that lined the campus grounds.

The new year had just begun and with it brought many nervous firstyears awkwardly fumbling around the campus. Many a student came back and forth to the headmaster's office to ask about their class. Most of them, constantly glancing at their maps and looking about cluelessly and only occasionally swallowing their pride to ask for directions. There weren't many noteable accounts this year. There was one student, however, that stuck out more than the others.

He was a young unicorn stallion with a coat that was as white as winter's snow with a fluorescent blue mane that ran down in messy locks and covered the tops of his eyes. On his flank was the ff symbol for fortissimo. He garbed a studious pair of glasses that added to the radiance of his magenta iris. He bore a carefree expression and posture, though it was only to try and cover up his nervousa. His walk seemed to dominate the area around him, with every step conquering more and more territory, his voice was soothing and yet fierce. Yet he was very polite, very respectful of what others had to say, and always seemed to have a smile. He was here from Baltimare High on a music scholarship.

His name was Fortissimo, though everypony called him Forte. He's come to the university to study musical arts, philosophy, and religion. On his back he carried a shiny trombone in a polished black leather case that he'd had since junior high and in his saddle bags were the necessary supplies he'd need for college; paper, pens, money, his laptop. He'd occasionally hold a piece of paper up to his nose with magic and then continue walking. He was on his way to his first class of the semester. Musical arts. He reached the classroom and poked his head in.

"Is this Professor Viola's classroom?" he asked.

"Why yes, you're in the right place. Why don't you go ahead and take a seat?" the professor responded in a jovial voice. Her mane was golden blonde tied into a professional looking bun and her coat was a cream color. Her flank bore the symbol for natural in music.

"Thank you, professor." he said as he scanned the room for a seat which he soon found next to an ashen pony with a charcoal mane. Around her neck she wore a white collar with a pink bowtie. She seemed very elegant and confident. He dumped his saddle bags on the floor next to her then swung his trombone off his back and sat it down on the opposite side. Then looked over to her and decided to try his luck and make conversation.

"Hey there," He said with a soft smile, extending a hoof. "my name's Fortissimo, Forte for short."

"Hello, Forte. I'm pleased to meet you." She replied politely, taking his hoof and shaking it. "My name's Octavia."

He eyed the instrument in an elegant case embroidered with gold designs. "So you play cello?" he asked as he unpacked his books and pens.

"Why, yes in fact I do. I actually played in the Canterlot Symphony Orchestra." she said with pride.

"That's quite the feat, how did you end up there?"

"I was invited by Princess Celestia herself," she said with a hint of gloating. "I even got the chance to talk to her."

"That's amazing, Octavia." he awed. "And did you take it?"

"I didn't, sadly. I tried going up to her but in the end I ran home for fear I might embarass myself."

"Ah, I'm sorry to hear that.." Forte muttered. "Well, I actually played in the Baltimare Symphony Orch-"

"Alright, looks like that's just about everyone." Professor Viola announced loudly, cutting Forte off. Many students, Forte included, looked around the room to see how many students were attending this class (there were thirty-eight in all) then turned their attention back to the instructor.

"As you all know, I'm Professor Viola, and I'll be your musical arts instructor. Now, I can't stand a class where the students are always tense and completely focused. So those of you that are, ease up, I'm a pretty easy going mare." Instantly, relieved sighs escaped the mouths of nervous firstyears. Octavia couldn't help but to chuckle a little.

"Okay, now that we've all gotten settled, in case somepony didn't hear me, welcome to Musical Arts." she said as she eyed two young mares who were gossiping amongst each other, which they noticed after a moment and paid attention to the professor.

"A couple things before we begin; would anypony like to sign up for the band program?" she began as ponies exchanged excited looks. "If so, come see me after class..."

"Hey, would you like to grab lunch together?" Octavia asked Forte under her breath.

"Sure, I'd love to," Forte breathed back, "Maybe we could get to know each other better?"

"Alright then, meet me after class if you don't mind?"

"Gotcha, after class." he agreed to his newly found friend's proposal.

***

After class, Forte asked Octavia to wait for him while he signed up for band. His time in line took about ten minutes because, as you'd imagine, many students wished to play in the Fillydelphia University band. It was one of the most renowned college bands in Equestria, and they didn't accept many. Finally, it was Forte's turn to sign his name onto the roster.

"Thank you, Mr..." the professor trailed off, waiting for an answer.

"Fortissimo," he responded.

"Ah, I've heard about you." she nodded in satisfaction, "You played in the Baltimare Symphony Orchestra, if I'm not mistaken."

"You are not, professor." he said with pride. "However, what most ponies don't know is that I was invited as a guest player for only one concert."

"Ah, I see. Well, nonetheless, you'll be an excellent addition to our program," she said with confidence. "I'm sure of that. Practices "

"Thank you very much, Professor Viola." and with that, he shaked her hoof and strode off to meet Octavia outside the door.

"So, are you ready for some lunch, my new friend?" she implored.

"Hobey-ho, let's go!" he grinned.

"What?"

"Nevermind, its just, uh... Yeah, let's go." he mumbled as he tried to seem casual and scratched his head while began to blush.

"Oh... okay?"

The mare and stallion made their way to the cafeteria for lunch. The long hall had white marble floors and its walls were made of the same stone brick texture that most of the school was made out of. On its walls hung immense banners and flags that made the whole place feel all the more medieval.

Forte and Octavia trotted up to the electronic menu where they could place an order and it would be delivered to them. Next to it sat a vending machine with snacks that anypony could enjoy. In it were sandwiches, energy bars, sweets, sodas, juices, and many other treats. After perusing through the menu a couple of times and finding nothing appealing, Forte decided to buy a cheese sandwich, a bag of chips, and a soda from the machine. Octavia, on the other hand, ordered a small plate of pasta from the menu and purchased a water from the vending machine.

As they sat down and ate, both told about life at home. Old relationships, how their families were, what their plans were after college, and other miscellanious information. As Forte was telling Octavia about the time his brother had trapped him in the attic, the bell rang and it was time for their next class. They both stood and headed on their way to their next class.

"Well, it's been great getting to know you Forte," she said. "Do you mind if I have your number?"

"Yeah, sure," he said as he grabbed a pad and pen from his saddlebags and scribbled his phone number onto it using "Feel free to text or call me anytime."

"Alright, I will," the mare smiled. "I'll just send you a text later and you can add me to your contacts then, is that alright?"

"Yeah, that's fine, so, I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"Of course," she assured him as she started to walk the other way. "Goodbye for now, Forte. It was really nice getting to know you."

"Alright, bye for now Octavia-"

"Please, just Tavi will do." she said with a small smile.

"Well okay, bye for now, Tavi. See you tomorrow." he waved then the two separated and hurried to their next class before they were late.

***

"Welcome to the North Fillydelphia University band program, everypony." began the band director, "As you all may know, there is quite a lot expected from out band. We play at every hoofball game, we perform in three concerts each semester, and march in twelve parades. So as you can tell, dedication is required. So if you can't handle it, please, get your little flanks out of my room." Three ponies each stood up and left the room, discouraged.

"Do I really sound like that much of a hard-ass? My apologies, everypony. I'm just really stressed out. Trust me, I'm not always so strict. I'm actually pretty nice." he smiled. "Oh! I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Professor Vibe. But you can just call me Vibe or Mr. Vibe, if you prefer formalities." Suddenly everypony didn't feel like they were going through boot camp.

"Alright, I'm just going to check the roll now. We should have two-hundred members, yes?" he implored looking over the list, then back to the crowd of students. "Feel free to talk amongsts yourselves while I check."

And so the long process of taking roll of over two hundred students began. Every few minutes ponies were called in alphabetical order and then contiued his or her conversation. Some were nervous, some were pompous, and some were just really calm about everything. It's safe to say that Forte was neither of those. In fact, he was quite bored seeing as he wasn't very good at making friends.

"Is there a Mr. Fortissimo here?"

"Here." he said dully and raised his hoof.

"Ah, there you are," Vibe noted as he checked off his name. "alright, we're missing three ponies. Now, unless anypony has any questions, let's get started."

Crash!

The door was thrown open.

The mare who had come sprinting through the door fell flat an her face. "Dear sweet Celestia, I'm sorry I'm late!" the flustered pony exclaimed as she stood and brushed off her coat. "I took a nap after school and forgot to set my alarm. So sorry, everypony."

"Make that two ponies." the director said flatly as he checked off the list.

The mare was a pegasus with an indigo blue coat and a short, jet black mane, which was messy from the fall. She had big sparkling hazel eyes. When she fell, her saddle bag had fallen open and her papers now scattered the floor. Seeing as he was the one closest to the tardy mare, Forte decided to help her gather them.

He quickly helped the pegasus in gathering them with unicorn magic, stack them neatly and place them back into her saddle bags. As he got a closer view, he noticed that the pegasus had small freckles on her nose.

"Oh... thank you," she said shyly with as much gratitude that her still half-asleep mind could muster and blew a lock of her hair out of her face.

"Oh, it was no trouble at all." he said as he sat back down and picked up his trombone. The young mare decided to take her seat in the most convenient spot, which was right next to Forte.

She gently layed her saddle bags on the floor next to her and opened a cracked and dull baritone case. Inside was a used, rusty, weathered down, dented, old instrument. Forte looked to his instrument, then to hers and felt a little bad for the mare which he didn't even know the name of.

"Hey, what's your name anyway?" he asked.

"Melodia." she replied.

"Melodia..." he echoed.

-----

Author's Note:

There's an obvious Pendragon reference in this chapter. :D
See if you can find it!

Comments ( 11 )

You have my interest!

Irrelevant:

3912326 Thank you! :twilightsmile:

And who you gonna call? :raritywink:

3912331
I'm gonna call the police if I don't see another chapter soon! I found this on your post in the Shameless whatever the hell it's called, by the way.

Haha, okay okay. I'm already in the process of writing another chapter. I'm not going to go on a schedule becuasethat's gonna be stressful, but it'll be soon. I promise. Expect results. :twilightsmile:

3912411
Hey, I don't use a schedule either. I haven't touched mine in FAR too long, heh.

3912471 My first fiction was like that. But that's long gone now. It was udder shit. It was so shit that it made me mispell utter.

3912477
...That's pretty shit, dude. The two that I actually have up are fine, I think. The one I'm working on (and will probably STILL be working on for the rest of my life) is gonna be fucking awesome.

3912480 Do you mind sending me a link to it? :twilightsmile:

3912486
The one that I'm working on? Sure, I can whip up one real quick. I'll send it through a PM because it's classified 'secret butt fun' for right now. No, it's not a clopfic. :rainbowlaugh:

3912515 Haha, alright. :rainbowkiss: Well, go ahead and send it to me. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment