• Published 31st Jan 2014
  • 8,527 Views, 179 Comments

Rise of the Phoenix Empress - Chengar Qordath



Celestia surrenders her crown to Sunbeam Sparkle, who becomes a better mare as a result of taking on rulership of Equestria

  • ...
54
 179
 8,527

Abiotrophy

When I awoke, Princess Celestia stood within my jail cell.

E’en after I attained wakefulness, she paid me no mind. ‘Twould seem her attention was quite occupied by my daughter, who remained asleep, cradled within my dead forelegs. Once I concluded that she had no intention of initiating conversation, I did so. “Are you here to pass sentence on me, Princess?”

Celestia turned to me, her expression carefully neutral. “Perhaps. However, I am curious as to what Midnight is doing here.” She gazed down at the sleeping child, and there was a brief golden glow around my daughter. Though I was in no condition to analyze Celestia’s spellwork I would guess ‘twas likely some spell meant to ensure that our discussion would not disturb her rest.

“If you will accept one final bit of advice from your former Vizier, Princess, I would suggest dismissing whoever was charge of security for my cellblock.” Despite the severity of my circumstances, I found a faint mocking smile working its way onto my face. “If not for the fact that I am quite incapable of walking at the moment, I might have escaped from my cell. My daughter also informs me that they were drinking whilst on duty, which no doubt contributed to their negligence. That a mere filly was able to sneak into one of our most secure cells, and e’en find the key to my cell, is most troubling. At what point did ‘high security’ become less meaningful than ‘fillyproof?’”

Celestia gazed at me for a moment, then shook her head and gave a disbelieving chuckle. “I think we are past the point where thine advice on matters of governance is of relevance.”

“Mayhaps, but it still offends my sensibilities to be imprisoned by such incompetents. If I were not crippled, I would have delayed mine escape in order to kill them, just as a matter of principle.” One of my ears flicked in annoyance. “I should also point out that either somepony failed to inform the jailors of my condition, or they find amusement in tormenting prisoners. In either case, it is an unacceptable inefficiency. If not for my daughter’s timely arrival, the food would have gone to feed vermin. If possible, I would appreciate a stay of execution until I have had sufficient time to undertake a review of our current facilities and improved efficiency. As it stands, I have no faith that these fools will not simply make a mess of my beheading as well.”

Celestia looked at me askance. “Thou wouldst ask that thy punishment be delayed so that thou canst ensure the quality of our prisons?” She regarded me for several long moments, then slowly shook her head. “I have never known a pony to succumb to madness so soon after confinement.”

“I am not mad,” I answered her. “Merely displeased. Though there is precious little else to do whilst confined to a dungeon cell beyond compile a list of ways in which one’s jailors have manifestly failed to perform their task.”

“I see.” Celestia paused, taking a steadying breath and regaining her regal demeanour. “Regardless, I am not here to speak with thee regarding thy displeasure at being jailed. I would discuss thy crimes, and how they shall be punished. However, I shall at least offer thee some small measure of reassurance. For all my displeasure with thee and all thy heinous crimes, thou hast served both Equestria and the throne for many years. In recognition of that service, I offer mercy. Thou needest not to worry of the headsmare’s skill, for thou shalt not meet her.”

“You would offer mercy in sparing my life? Mercy?!” I spat the word out as if merely speaking it had befouled my mouth. “The life of a helpless cripple, imprisoned within her own flesh for all eternity? I am to live out my remaining years more helpless than a foal, requiring aid even to relieve myself, and then you have gall to say that this fate is a mercy!?” I glared at her, and for the first time in my life I hated Celestia. “If this be your mercy, I offer my sincerest condolences to the victims of your cruelty.”

Celestia face went taut with anger. “Do not play at being an innocent victim in this, Sunbeam.” Her eyes traveled down to my daughter, and specifically the cast on her foreleg. “From the moment thou first presented her to me, I dared to hope that thy daughter might be the source of thy salvation. Thou art a wicked pony, Sunbeam, but also a brilliant one. ‘Tis within thy power to accomplish so much good, if thou wouldst but attempt it. So many times during my quest to redeem thee I nearly gave in to despair and declared the cause hopeless.”

She reached out, gently moving one of my legs aside so she stroke Midnight’s mane. “Thy daughter was the one thing that gave me hope in those dark times. For all thy flaws and failings, and they are many, Midnight found something within thee worthy of love. If she could see the good within thy heart, then surely I could find it too.”

Celestia turned her eyes from my daughter, and as she met mine I saw a hint of the fury contained within them. “Then, thou didst take that filly—a filly who loves and trusts thee utterly and without condition—and thou didst subject her to pain and cruelty in the guise of training. It is unforgivable.”

“Then ‘tis fortunate that I’ve not asked your forgiveness,” I answered shortly. “There may come a time when I ask my daughter’s, and rightfully so, but I committed no crime against thee.” My lip curled up in contempt. “Unless ‘tis now a crime for a mare to defend herself ‘gainst unprovoked aggression.”

“Unprovoked?” Celestia’s countenance tightened in outrage. “Unprovoked? Thou didst shatter thy daughter’s leg and excuse it as training.”

“The severity of her injury was unintentional,” I answered calmly.

“So Midnight claimed when I spoke with her,” Celestia answered coldly. “Tell me, Sunbeam, how long did she lie untreated ‘pon floor of thy tower before you convinced her that such was the case? How long didst thou listen to her pleas for healing, whilst forcing her to memorize a contrived tale that described thee as innocent? ‘Tis a child’s natural instinct to protect her parents, but I do not think thou wouldst leave such a matter to chance.”

Her words struck like a bolt from the heavens, for I had, in fact, failed to even consider properly preparing my daughter. “Damnation!” ‘Twas obvious in hindsight that I should have arranged a fitting story ere I brought my daughter to Temperance the chirurgeon. There were easily a dozen tales I could have instructed my daughter in that would have explained her wound whilst clearing me of any shade of wrongdoing. With hindsight’s clarity, ‘twas quite plain to see how I should have addressed the matter.

Why, then, had I failed to do so?

My thoughts were likely plain on my face, if I were to judge by Celestia’s response. A moment later, I felt a subtle pressure ‘gainst my mind. With my own magic unavailable, there was little I could do to determine the nature of her spell. That she could cast within a cell that ought to have been magically inert was curious, but presumably she had either removed that restriction for the moment or some aspect of the spell or her own unique abilities allowed her to ignore that restriction. ‘Twas quite possible she had specifically designed her high-security dungeon cells to be incapable of holding her, in the event that she herself might be placed within them at some point. I would certainly have done so in her place.

Before the spell completed, she turned to me. “Sunbeam, I would have thy permission to cast a spell of truespeaking. Is it granted?”

“You need hardly ask, under the circumstances.”

“It is still polite to do so,” Celestia calmly answered. Whilst the Laws of Magic normally frowned ‘pon compulsions of any sort, the rules did make some concessions to the government’s practical needs. It has long been understood that criminals and prisoners do not enjoy the same rights and liberties as free citizens. Truespeaking spells were one of the more common allowances for officers of the law, though they were still used with restraint.

The only reason such spells were not ubiquitous was their unreliability. Like any compulsion, it could only take effect after o’ercoming the target’s will. I had counseled my own magi to avoid relying upon them in their operations: few things are more dangerous than a failed Truespeech spell. E’en the most ridiculous lies seem plausible when uttered by a speaker under the effects of a Truespeech spell. E’en for those who cannot o’ercome the spell directly, there are many simple ways in which to speak honest words whilst carrying a deceptive means—such as the classic example of claiming that thou didst not see a criminal’s act, whilst failing to mention that’ twas heard quite clearly.

However, I did not think myself likely to be able to undo a spell cast by Celestia herself. Mayhaps I could manage it if I turned the full of my will ‘pon it and was in good health, but certainly not in my current condition. Nor did I think myself capable of the mental gymnastics needed to lie whilst speaking only the strictest truth. ‘Tis difficult to manage such convoluted trains of thought whilst my mind was addled by pain.

As the spell settled into place over my mind, Celestia asked her first question. “Were Midnight’s injuries intentional, or accidental?”

“The severity of her injuries was a result of ill fortune,” I answered instantly. “The stone was intended to be a near-miss, in order to frighten and motivate her.”

I had thought that would be the end of the matter, but ‘twould seem Celestia was not satisfied yet. “Why? Why threaten her with pain and suffering, just to teach her?”

“Because it is effective.” I met her eyes defiantly. “I regret that my errors in designing the exercise led to such a serious injury, but I will say this much: Midnight will apply herself far more vigorously to her studies of the defensive arts now. Her injury in this matter will drive her to strengthen her defenses, and likely save her life many times over. If she were trapped within a burning building and the only way to remove her to safety would require breaking one of her legs, you would do so, neigh?”

“The situations are not equivalent,” Celestia responded evenly.

“Are they not?” I challenged. “My daughter is surely in peril. For all your dreams of making an Equestria filled with love and harmony, they remain but dreams for now. Dreams will not keep my daughter safe; only her own strength can do that.”

“Strength?” Celestia gave a pained sigh and slowly shook her head. “That has always been thy greatest failing, Sunbeam. E’en after all the time I have spent instructing thee otherwise, thou still hast not grasped that violence is not strength, nor compassion weakness.”

“And your failing is to mistake compassion for a lack of resolve to do that which is needful,” I answered her with a mocking scoff. “Though if you would speak to me of compassion, I must ask why you saw fit to cripple me with such violence. Should my supposed crimes not have been met with gentle compassion, by your own words?”

For the barest of moments the shadow of guilt passed over Celestia’s face. “The crippling of thy limbs was not a thing I intended, Sunbeam. I must confess that I am prone to excessive reactions when a child is wounded. That does not excuse it, but some explanation is owed. Thy magic had to be taken to hold thee, but to do more than that was ... unfitting.”

“Unfitting,” I repeated, considering her choice of word. “A telling word. ‘Tis often said that the punishment should fit the crime, is it not? If you have resolved to spare my life, then ‘twould seem I am condemned to live out my days a helpless cripple. E’en once my magic returns, I would be hard-pressed to live out a life in this body. Tell me, does my punishment fit?” In truth, considering the severity of my disability, I was not certain how long I would endure in my current state. An injury severe enough to deprive me of voluntary movement would likely carry many other implications for my health in coming days.

Celestia’s head dropped, remorse now plainly written on her face. “Neigh, it does not. ‘Twould seem that I allowed thy past acts to color my judgment of thee. I do not approve of thy methods in teaching thy daughter, but I cannot call them criminal. Negligent, mayhaps—more care should have been taken to ensure that the exercise you planned could not go awry—but not so terrible as to deserve all that I wrought upon thee. I admit, when I learned that thou didst so wound thy daughter, I grew quite wroth with thee. I had always hoped that Midnight would prove to be a gentling influence upon thee, and the thought that thou wouldst abuse her drove me to excess.”

I conceded the matter with a nod. “I have already concluded that there were better ways to perform the exercise in question. The same effect could have been gained with safer methods. I have recently come to suspect that my judgment is ... compromised, when addressing my daughter.”

“Compromised?” Celestia inquired.

“I find it difficult to remain entirely objective regarding her,” I answered her. “I suspect that if she were to ever become a threat to the safety of Equestria or the crown, I might hesitate if her elimination were required.” I frowned as a particularly troublesome thought occurred. “I might even be compelled to risk lives needlessly to pursue a non-lethal solution.”

I have decided that I do not like honesty spells. They reveal entirely too much.

Celestia stared at me for several seconds, then slowly shook her head. “I truly do not understand thee, Sunbeam. ‘Twould be far simpler if thou wert but a monster or a madmare bent solely ‘pon causing misery. Those, I know how to meet. One such as thee, however, can be most frustrating. Fell deeds done in the name of good causes.”

“That is what I do,” I confirmed. “Or at least, that is how others choose to define my acts. I have found that one’s perspectives on good and evil are often defined by one’s interests. The weak claim that it is righteous for the strong to protect them. The elites—whether unicorn noble, pegasus clanpony, or earth pony magnate—all have ways to justify their power. Pacifists say violence is wicked, whilst warriors deride them as cowards. I’ve found little value in worrying about morality: nopony seems to agree on what good and evil actually are. Results, however ... those are real.” My gaze once more turned down to my daughter. “No proper mother would let the prattling of small-minded fools stop them from doing what is best for their child.”

Celestia regarded me for some time, then gave a resigned sigh. “There is more to leadership than choosing the most straightforward and pragmatic path, Sunbeam. Regardless of thy beliefs, there are such things as right and wrong. That is why I shall heal thee. As thou didst not intend to so wound Midnight, I have also erred, and so I shall make it right. Thou shalt walk again; this I promise thee.”

I was quite surprised by her gesture—a royal oath is not a thing to be lightly offered. Especially not to one in my circumstances. “What of my attempt to slay thee?”

Celestia offered a small, polite laugh. “The attack was a grave offense, but I would be a poor princess indeed if a single reflexive fire spell could end me.” Her tone did not remain so gay for long. “More to the point, given the excessive nature of my own actions, I am hard-pressed to justify punishing thee in any great way for attempting to defend thyself. I think whatever retribution thou didst earn for that crime has already been suffered.”

“So the matter is ended, then?” I asked. “I would have your oath on it. A full pardon, a restoration of all I have lost, and your solemn word that I shall be restored. And, of course, the return of my daughter.” I glanced down to Midnight once more, noting with some approval that she was no longer sleeping, but still feigned it. ‘Twould seem she had already begun to learn the subtler aspects of observation.

Celestia’s response was unexpected. “I agree to all of those conditions but the last.”

“You would still strip my daughter away?” I found the idea most offensive, especially after all I had suffered on account of her supposed mistreatment. “Unacceptable. I refuse to accept any arrangement that does not see my daughter returned to my care.”

Once more, Celestia refused me. “Sunbeam, until your body is fully restored, you will be hard-pressed to attend to your own needs, let alone Midnight’s. I give you my word, as sworn by my magic and my very crown, that she will visit daily and be restored to your care once you are healed. I also give my word that you will be restored.”

‘Twas not the answer I had hoped for, but I could not gainsay her logic. As she said, my own troubles were likely to consume me for the near future. What reservations I might have held could not stand in the face of her binding oath. “The matter is settled then, Princess. I will remember both of those oaths, and hold you to them.”

With those words, though I did not know, I had sealed our fates.


I was, at first, reasonably optimistic as to my chances of seeing my body fully restored. Celestia’s word is not lightly given, and she possesses considerable resources to make good on all that she had promised me. My horn and magic were restored in a few days’ time, and I had every reason to expect that what remained would likewise be restored.

Fate, it seemed, had other plans. As days turned to weeks, I began to feel the first hints of despair.

Despite Celestia’s best efforts, I still felt we were sorely lacking in expertise regarding the medical arts. The war was largely to blame for that deficiency: unicorns skilled in the healing arts had been one of the favored targets of the mage hunters. Magic simply allows forms of healing which even the most skilled of earth ponies and pegasi cannot imitate. The Avatar of Nightmare Moon chose wisely in striking at our medicae—by removing a single healer, she also ensured the deaths of every single pony that chirurgeon might have saved.

However, e’en had we access to greater expertise on the matter, I was unsure ‘twould ensure my salvation. Though my own understanding of the healing arts is limited, I had applied the sum of my considerable intellect to learning as much as I could regarding the treatment of my current disability. The results were less than promising.

One of the first principles of healing magic is that it should be applied to the body as quickly as possible. Though there were many theories as to the hows and whys of the matter, there was a general consensus that the longer an injury lingered, the more difficult it was to apply the healing arts to it. This was especially so in the case of wounds that would not heal through natural processes alone. A unicorn’s horn restores itself over time, so ‘tis a simple matter to speed the process along. Such is not the case with injuries that deaden a pony’s body.

My extended disability was not only distressing to me for the obvious reasons. Whilst being trapped within my own flesh and unable to move anything other than my head was unpleasant, I did at least have sufficient skill in auto-telekinesis to improvise a certain modus vivendi. However, my current state was proving quite ruinous for my political affairs.

Officially, Celestia had fully reinstated me as Archmagus of Canterlot and Grand Vizier of Unicornia. However, ‘twas no surprise to learn that the mare who felt my current physical condition rendered me incapable of e’en caring for my own daughter also did not believe me capable of handling difficult affairs of state. Thus, my duties had been placed in other hooves, for the moment. ‘Twas supposedly a temporary measure, but I was well aware of the way of things: the great bulk of my reforms had begun life as temporary emergency wartime measures, all of which still remained in place e’en though the war was more than a year past.

I was less concerned for my position ‘mongst the magi, as magi are naturally fractious by nature, and those who held power largely owed it to my good graces. ‘Twould likely take months or mayhaps e’en years before any candidate strong enough to challenge my primacy emerged. However, my position as Grand Vizier was already in peril, and from a most unlikely source.

Acting Grand Vizier Gale Kicker.

Shadow’s daughter had already begun to prove herself distressingly effective at exercising my office. ‘Twould have been easy to undo her if she sought to tear down my old policies, but instead she seemed quite happy to continue them. ‘Twas making her far too popular: many of my current allies were naturally quite content to work alongside a mare who protected their interests as carefully as I had. Meanwhile, my enemies were instantly fond of her on account of the fact that she was not me, and the great respect many held for Shadow reflected upon her daughter as well.

No doubt she would be quick to claim credit for any fruit borne by my years of hard work, whilst also blaming any problems that arose ‘pon my legacy. ‘Tis certainly what I would have done, were I in her position.

‘Twas perhaps indicative of my mood that my bowels chose that moment to loosen themselves. No longer having conscious control over such functions is irritating, though ‘twas a fitting summary of my thoughts on the matter.

Whatever my thoughts on my temporary replacement, Gale could not be countered until I restored my body to its proper order. Celestia will not have a Grand Vizier who must wear diapers to avoid publicly messing herself. Thankfully, my magic was equal to the task of cleaning the mess.

However, ‘twould seem it could manage no more than that. I resumed my reading, continuing to find naught but misery and disappointment. The only somewhat promising line of inquiry I’d found thus far had ended with me hissing out a particularly foul oath ‘gainst Nightmare Moon upon learning that the stallion who had been developing the technique was one of the war’s many casualties. His apprentice was hard at work attempting to carry on his master’s legacy, but Straight Steps had not been a particularly careful or meticulous notetaker. ‘Twould likely take years just to replicate his lost work, let alone expand upon it.

It seemed terribly unfair that even after the Avatar of Nightmare Moon had passed, she still found ways to stymie my efforts. I might have gotten lost in idle imaginings of some fantastical vengeance, were it not for the most intriguing line of thought that occurred due to her.

Naturally, the emergence of an avatar for the mad alicorn had been a matter of great interest to the magi. Morning Star, one of my better researchers, had been hard at work deciphering the dark rites used to animate her body and craft the shell of the false alicorn. Of particular interest, at the moment, was the fact that a freshly dead corpse had been restored to fell unlife by the rite.

Despite what many of my detractors might claim, I have never and will never resort to the use of dark magic. However, the fact that this dark ritual had repaired a dead body to such a degree that it lived once more was of some interest. ‘Twas a thin hope, but perhaps a magical process that could reverse death could also heal a severe but non-mortal injury.

However, this line of inquiry was a dangerous one. Since the emergence of the Royal Sisters, there have been mortals who coveted the power of alicorns. Without exception, those who sought to claim or replicate that power have met unpleasant ends. Those who were fortunate merely died as a result of their failed ascensions. For those who succeeded (in a manner of speaking), there was naught but a life of agony as a twisted abomination—a sick parody of the divine beings they sought to emulate. Even the Avatar of Nightmare Moon had met such a fate: by the time of her destruction, she was naught but a twisted parody of an alicorn’s majesty.

Of all those who made the attempt, there is only one false alicorn who was not ultimately slain by transformation. Having met the resulting entity, I am quite confident in saying that I would sooner die than allow myself to fall to such a state.

Naturally, information regarding false alicorns is carefully controlled. ‘Twould not do to inspire more of them. Naturally, the Archmagus of Canterlot was one of the few ponies allowed access to what little we knew of their works. With a few careful inquiries, I was able to gather what information we had regarding their transformations. While I had no intention of attempting the rite myself, the information itself might open some heretofore unimagined possibilities.

The results proved most intriguing. Curt Words had been born with a lame leg, which was cured in the process of his false ascension. Granted, it had also remade him into a hideous lizard-like creature, but he had six perfectly functional limbs afterwards. Brilliant Blade regained the eye she’d lost in battle, though admittedly she only had moments to enjoy it before she burst into flames. And then, there was the Avatar, who had temporarily undone death itself.

There was an undeniable conclusion; some aspect of the false ascension process undid existing injuries and deformities. The transition from mere mortal to something more included the shedding of those weaknesses that afflict the bodies of ordinary ponies.

However, on its own this information was useless to me. I had no intention of pursuing false ascension: it is a fool’s errand, and would likely only worsen my situation in the long term. ‘Twould be a severe understatement to say that Celestia would not look kindly upon such a thing, as well. In all likelihood, she would destroy me if I attempted it.

Thankfully, there was a far better option available. A year ago, Celestia had offered her dear Shadow a legitimate ascension to alicornhood. Shadow had refused, for some foolish reason. Now that a debt was owed and a promise made, she would have to offer the same to me. ‘Twas the only way to restore my body. Well, mayhaps there were alternatives, but none so appealing as this.

Her Royal Highness, Sunbeam Sparkle: Princess of the Night. Yes, that would do quite nicely.


The topic was a difficult one to broach; one does not lightly ask to be elevated to godhood. The time, place, and manner of the request would all be of the utmost importance. I would need to plan the encounter out meticulously, to ensure that all possible factors were stacked so as to increase my chances of success.

Fate, it seemed, had other plans.

Two days after I’d decided upon my new ambition, Celestia sought me out. ‘Twas not as if I were particularly hard to find, given my immobility. Aside from those breaks required to attend to life’s necessities and the daily visits by the chirurgeons to evaluate my condition, I spent all my waking hours within my personal library. E’en though I had my goal firmly in mind, there was much to be done before I was truly ready to act. If there was but a single means of healing that I had failed to account for, the credibility of my case would be destroyed.

Sadly, I could not distract myself with any research whilst in the midst of Temperance’s daily visits. The chirurgeon was skilled at his art, but I cared little for his treatments regardless. Despite his carefully cultivated bedside manner, I disliked having a medicae poking and prodding at my body as if I were a particularly fascinating specimen. As had often been the case since my crippling, the chirurgeon’s attentions had put me in a foul mood, made all the poorer by the fact that he had already lingered for longer than normal.

I felt a welcome sense of relief when I heard somepony at the doors to my private quarters; few would seek entry to my tower, and most of those who would were far more welcome company than the chirurgeon. That making myself fit for company required wearing my robes once more was an added benefit; one can hardly entertain guests whilst openly wearing a diaper, but they had become something of a necessity. My dignity had taken many blows, in recent days.

My visitors proved to something of a mixed blessing; on the one hoof, my daughter was always a delight. Unfortunately, she came in the company of Gale Kicker, whom I cordially despised, and Celestia. As had become her custom, Midnight approached me and nuzzled my cheek before settling against my chest, draping my forelegs over her. Given her sudden fondness for physical contact, I suspect she is deliberately taking advantage of my disability.

‘Twas hardly a proper embrace; more akin to draping oneself with a blanket. Still, my daughter seemed content, so I suppose ‘twas sufficient to please her. “Greetings, Mother. I hope your condition has improved rather than worsened.”

I considered my words carefully; there was nothing to be gained in upsetting my daughter by speaking too much of my ills. “I have fared as well as can be expected.”

Celestia gazed down at my daughter, an approving smile on her face. “Thou art within fair company while we seek a cure, at the least.”

“I suppose there is that much.” My daughter’s company was certainly preferable to that of the chirurgeon. “How farest thou, my child?”

“I am well, Mother,” my daughter replied dutifully. “Gale has treated me kindly the last few weeks. She has also seen to continuing my education, though her methods are not the same as yours.”

Considering my displeasure with the outcome of the last training exercise I’d crafted for my daughter, that Gale used different means only struck me as prudent. Whatever benefits Midnight derived from the experience, ‘twas still the result of error on my part. “How do her methods differ?”

“My magical and academic studies are much the same, though she disagrees with thine opinion regarding Lyequine philosophy.” She paused, and briefly directed a discontented glare towards Gale. “However, once my leg healed she began making me do calisthenics with the other children at the Kicker Compound.” She returned her attention to me, and announced matter-of-factly, “I was unaware that non-unicorns were capable of using dark magic, but I am certain these calisthenics are some form of especially foul black magic. Once I succeed you as Archmagus, I will take appropriate steps to see them wiped from the face of Equestria.”

Celestia quickly brought a hoof over her mouth to stifle the smile that had already begun to grow upon her lips. For her part, Gale stepped forward to defend her actions. “Physical training is important, Midnight. Not every problem has a magical solution.”

My daughter let out a resigned sigh. “So I have been taught, though I question whether calisthenics is a suitable form of training rather than a method of torture. I am aware that martial training is vigorous, but I fear what survival camp will bring when I go through it in the summer.”

Midnight’s final remark drew a frown from me. “Thou art already planning so far in advance?” ‘Twas most presumptuous for Gale to make plans that would not come to fruition for many months. I had only been wounded for a month’s time, and fully intended to be restored ere winter’s end. Yet Gale already made plans for how my daughter would spend her summer months?

Celestia answered me, her tone carefully diplomatic. “I am certain Gale has not made any presumptuous attempt to supplant thine authority, Sunbeam. However, Gale would do thy child a disservice if she did not think on how best to see to her education while it remains within her responsibility. She cannot go through every day refraining from making any decision that might prove moot if thou wert to be healed the next day.”

Gale herself offered a few words in further explanation. “E'en after your recovery, she would still benefit from the instruction. If it is your intention to have her succeed you as a magus, she would benefit from training in proper fieldcraft.”

Their arguments in defense of the arrangement were not unreasonable, but I still misliked that such plans were considered without first consulting me. I chose to seek my daughter’s thoughts on the matter; if she approved of the training, ‘twould be far simpler to accept without loss of face. “I would have thy thoughts on the matter, Midnight. Is thy training with Gale of benefit?”

My daughter considered the matter for a time, her gaze shifting between myself and Gale. There was clear hesitation in her voice as she answered. “I always prefer training with you, Mother. But Gale’s lessons are enjoyable as well, other than the calisthenics. I am learning new things. Gale acquired the services of a pair of knights from the Order of Sol Invictus to help me with my defensive magic.” She paused, briefly touching her now-healed leg, before continuing. “I think I may enjoy the time spent with my squad as well. Gale is having much of my education done with the other children in the Kicker Clan. I was uncertain of the applicability of the lessons, but Gale has assured me that she is accounting for the fact that I am not a pegasus.”

I gave the matter careful consideration. To date, I had been quite certain that she would learn best from her own mother. However, my recent errors in that regard had caused me to reexamine that belief, and ‘twas clear that Midnight derived some pleasure from the lessons. I was reasonably wary that Gale might steal my daughter’s loyalty from me, but barring the lessons could easily have much the same effect if Midnight grew to resent the restriction. As Gale said, there was value in having non-magical solutions available. “If thou art enjoying the training and learning things of value from it, then I see no reason we cannot continue it to some degree e’en after my recovery.”

As expected, the news drew a small smile from my daughter, no doubt pleased that she would not have to endure divided loyalties. Though Midnight was properly devoted to me, children will naturally become attached to any caregiver, and Gale Kicker had seen to her needs for the last month. For her part, Gale seemed rather taken aback by my magnanimity—in fairness to her, I do not have a reputation for conceding things easily. However, I saw little point in making an issue over my daughter receiving a superior education.

The approving smile on Celestia’s face also showed that the concession would not be without profit; royal favor is a precious currency indeed, especially with my current plans. “Very good, the matter seems settled, then. As we are on the subject of thy recovery, how fares thy progress with the chirurgeon?”

Ah. A less pleasant matter, though I could at least begin to prepare the ground for my eventual request. “I've noted no changes in my condition, and research continues to be fruitless. However, Temperance would be the better judge.”

The chirurgeon, who had deferentially remained silent whilst his betters spoke, now stepped to the fore. “If I might borrow a moment of your time, Princess? I would discuss the patient’s condition in private.” Despite his efforts to remain calm and professional, I noted a small hint of concern in his tone. Troubling, considering the subject of their discussion.

Celestia excused herself from our company, taking the medicae aside and speaking with him in the adjoining room. Midnight seemed content for the moment to simply rest within my forelegs, though before long she set to poking me with her horn, pausing occasionally to ask if I had felt her efforts. Given that one of her more enthusiastic efforts had drawn a small trickle of blood, ‘twas perhaps not entirely unfortunate that I felt nothing. Thankfully, the wound was minor and fresh enough that I could heal it with ease, once made aware of it.

Whilst Midnight amused herself, Gale remained silent, watching the two of us with an expression that attempted to be a carefully neutral mask, but betrayed a small measure of curiosity and confusion. Though normally less taciturn than her mother, Gale was still very much Shadow’s daughter, and seemed to share her tendency towards stoic, brooding silence when troubling matters occupied her mind. When she finally spoke, ‘twas with the same abruptness I had come to expect from her mother. “I would ask your pardon, for the role I played in your wounding.”

My daughter tensed as the subject was raised, drawing nearer to me and regarding Gale with less warmth than she had a few moments ago. I took note of her reaction, for any wedge I could drive between the two of them was a thing worth remembering. Once I was certain Gale had taken note of my daughter’s disapproval, I answered her request. “I have not forgotten what you did.” Striking me across the face had likely worsened the damage to my neck, though I would never know the severity of it. ‘Twas not a thing easily forgiven.

After allowing her to stew in guilt for a time, I gave my answer. “Revenge is the height of foolishness. If pardon is asked, I grant it.” I have never cared for vengeance; in my experience, it too often interferes with the acquisition and maintenance of power. Regardless, ‘twas only sensible to offer thine enemies mercy when it was asked for. Meeting submission with mercy encourages others to do so, while meeting them with retribution only ensured that they would resist to the very end. E’en Pegasopolis bent its knees when we offered clemency after Maresidian.

Gale fell silent, seeming once more taken unawares by my actions. ‘Twas some time before she spoke again. “I owe you a boon, regardless.”

“Yes, you do.” I might not care for revenge, but a certain degree of recompense was called for after Gale’s actions. “I will collect that in due time. Until then, you shall continue seeing to my daughter’s needs whilst I am unable to do so.”

Gale frowned at me, no longer even attempting to hide her puzzlement. “A rapprochement, then?”

“So it would seem,” I agreed. “Somepony must see to the Viziership until I am recovered. Better you than one of the nobles. Do not grow too comfortable in the position, though—when the time comes, I will reclaim it.” I considered the matter, and chose to offer some consolation. “Though if we are to be on cordial terms, I shall most likely have to find some other use for you within the government. Assuming your mother can spare you.”

“I am sure something could be arranged,” Gale answered reasonably, though her tone grew colder a moment later. “Make no mistake, though. I will repay my boons, and work alongside you for the good of Equestria, but I am not your hooflick.”

Ah, ‘twould seem the thorny pride of the pegasi had been riled. Best to calm it before she did something foolish. “Peace, Gale. I know how matters stand.”

“So long as where matters stand ‘tween us is clear.” Gale answered, still seeming slightly discontented. ‘Twould seem it would be some time before we reached an amicable state of affairs, but for the moment I found civility and recognition of our mutual interests a quite satisfactory conclusion. Other matters would fall into place, given time.

With that matter settled, Midnight proceeded to tell me of her training with Gale in greater detail. The enthusiasm with which she spoke only confirmed that my choice had been the proper one.

She was in the midst of speaking about an obstacle course when Celestia reentered the room, an eternally unreadable expression on her face. “I apologize for the delay, Sunbeam. There are matters we should discuss.” She directed a brief glance towards Gale, and then Midnight.

The pegasus was quick enough to gather her commander’s desires. “Midnight, were there not books that thou didst wish to retrieve from the library?” She stepped forward and gently removed my daughter from her place within my dead forelegs. ‘Twas quite rude of her to do so without asking first, e’en if she did act as Celestia willed.

Midnight also seemed displeased by her removal, her expression downcast as she answered Gale. “Aye, ‘tis so, but I just arrived to see Mother. Surely we could attend to the library just as easily in an hour’s time.”

Celestia cast subtlety to the wind, and addressed her directly. “I would speak with thy mother in private, Midnight. I apologize for depriving thee of her company, and I shall occupy only as much of her time as is needful to conclude our business.”

My daughter’s eyes fell to the floor, but despite her clear displeasure, she could not deny Equestria’s ruler. “Very well, I will be in the library.”

“I will join thee there, once the Princess and I conclude our business,” I assured her.

Gale took my daughter in hoof, guiding her out of the room. Midnight frowned, and for a moment I feared that she might cause an incident by refusing to depart. Thankfully, her discipline won the day, and she dutifully exited the room alongside Gale. Temperance also discreetly exited, no doubt off to attend to some other pony’s needs.

Once we were in privacy, Celestia turned to me, the queenly mask slipping from her face. E’en though no words had left her lips, the remorse and sorrow on her face was plain to see. Given that she had just consulted a chirurgeon regarding my condition before requesting this meeting, ‘twas not hard to guess at the cause of her upset. “My health is that poor, then?”

Celestia offered a single reluctant nod. “I am sorry. Thy body ... ponies were never intended to live in thy condition. Muscles decay from disuse, and e’en thine internal organs weaken with each passing day. Thy health decays faster than Temperance can render it aid, and we are no nearer a cure now than we were weeks ago.”

Ah. So that was the way of it. “How long?”

Celestia let out a heavy breath. “If we struggle to preserve thy life for as long as we can? Perhaps another month. If we allow thee to spend thy days in comfort rather than needlessly prolong thy suffering? Enough time to put thine affairs in order.”

Neither of those options struck me as remotely acceptable. Still, there might be something good to be salvaged from the situation; the urgency of my condition would surely drive Celestia to accept my own planned resolution to the matter. “Have you any solution?”

“One,” Celestia conceded reluctantly. “If I were to seal thee in stone, thy condition would deteriorate no further, allowing us ample time to research and develop new techniques by which thine injury might be undone.”

“Unacceptable,” I answered simply. I certainly had no intention of ending my days as another decoration in the Canterlot statue garden. “I have not been idle in searching for a cure. ‘Twill be decades at best before there is hope, and that is assuming all goes as well as possible. If something were to go amiss, how much longer would I remain imprisoned?” My tone turned cutting as I added, “There would be no urgency to the matter, and thus no reason not to delay for a few centuries.”

Celestia’s head dropped low. “I mislike it as well, Sunbeam, but ‘twill preserve thy life. Better displaced in time than dead.”

“That is so,” I conceded. “However, there is a means by which I might be restored to full health.” I took a moment to prepare myself, then spoke the words that would shape the fate of Equestria. “Ascension would undo my injuries.”

“Ascension?” Celestia repeated incredulously. “Thou art presumptuous indeed to ask such a thing. What right hast thou to stand as my equal?”

“You gave your word, sworn by crown and magic.” My eyes narrowed, and my voice turned cold. “You not only swore to see me restored, but that I would be restored in a way which allowed my daughter to be returned to my care. Centuries of imprisonment would not allow such a thing, and all other options have been exhausted. You must either grant me this boon, or break your oath.”

Celestia fell silent, likely hoping to conjure some way to dispute my words. I did not allow her the chance. “If you do not do this, Celestia, then you will have murdered me. What right has a murderer and oathbreaker to rule? What decent pony would accept such crimes from their princess? You dream of making Equestria a kingdom of conscience, yet would betray your most faithful servant to her death rather than correct a grave injustice?”

Equestria’s ruler opened her mouth to dispute my claims, only to find herself at a loss for words. There were reasonable arguments to be made about the wisdom of granting me Ascension, but the truth of my position was undeniable. My wounds were her doing, and were beyond all hope of healing. Refusing to save my life through Ascension would leave my blood firmly on her hooves. Whatever her doubts as to my suitability, Celestia could not deny the truth of the situation.

A different ruler might have been cold enough to let me pass on, or simply imprison me within stone against my wishes. However, that was not Celestia’s way. Despite her earlier claims, her compassion was a great weakness. If forced to chose between being responsible for my slow and lingering death and elevating me to equal status, her compassion would drive her to the latter.

Finally, her shoulders slumped in defeat. She was trapped by the unassailable logic of my words and her own sense of morality. She spoke, giving the only answer she could. “So be it then, I shall fulfill my oaths to thee. I shall bestow an alicorn's mantle upon thee. Ascension shall heal thy body, and elevate it far beyond its original state.”

I could scarcely contain a triumphant smile at the concession. “I am glad to hear it. What must be done to arrange the process? When will it occur?”

Celestia was silent for some time, then offered a single nod. “I see no reason to delay the matter needlessly. I will take a few days to speak with ponies and ensure that all is in readiness for thy—for your elevation, and then it shall be done.” She fell into a troubled silence for a time, and then turned to me once more. “Go to your daughter, Sunbeam. I have much to do ere your Ascension, and little time to see it done.”

“Of course, Celestia. I look forward to standing at thy side.” I confess that there was a sort of giddy thrill at addressing Celestia as an equal, but such was privilege afforded by my new rank. Such was my joy at the prospect of my impending elevation that not e’en the need to transport my deadened body to the library could dampen my mood.


Celestia returned at week’s end. I had spent the intervening time immersing myself in what little was known of the alicorns. There was precious little information, both on account of an understandable reticence on Celestia’s part to reveal her capabilities and weaknesses, and fear that it might encourage others to go down the route of the false alicorn.

I confess that I felt no small amount of trepidation at the prospect of ascension. ‘Twas a great unknown, and the process would alter me on the most fundamental of levels. I would no longer be a unicorn, or e’en fully mortal. The thought of such a shift was ... unsettling.

When Celestia finally sought me out, I was somewhat taken aback by her grim countenance. I suppose it should not have come as a great surprise—I had forced her hoof in this matter—but ‘twas still jarring to be reminded that she did not care for my new status. Especially on the day of my greatest triumph.

Once we’d attended to the usual pleasantries, she transported me to the same room I had used for Midnight’s ill-fated training exercise. I was briefly grateful that somepony had cleaned the room since that day, for I would not have cared to be reminded of those events. Rather than linger on such unpleasant thoughts, I opted to move to the matter at hoof. “What must I do to assist thee in the process of Ascension, Celestia?”

Celestia turned to me, and for the first time since her arrival at my tower she seemed almost pleased. “The first step in the process is simplicity itself, Sunbeam. You must die.”

Her horn flashed, and fire consumed me.