• Published 25th Jan 2014
  • 370 Views, 15 Comments

Moment of Honor - Cold Fire



Something amazing has been discovered in uncharted space. Could this lead to the war being won?

  • ...
 15
 370

Chapter Two

Chapter Two
War is what happens when the idiots making the rules decide it would be a good idea to send the idiots volunteering for their country off to die.
-Anna Foshay, 83 A.D.

Princess Twilight Sparkle was reading about space. She was researching how the stars may change their positions over thousands of years, and this research could lead to allowing the sun and moon to rise and set by themselves, allowing Princesses Luna and Celestia to take care of other pressing matters. In fact, Twilight also was thinking about building some flying device to take her into the stars. That would require quite a bit of magic, but it should work. Her only worry was if she could breathe up there. After all, nopony knew just what was up there. That would take more research.

Just then, Rainbow Dash walked into the library. “Yo Twilight! You in here?” She called about, and Twilight sighed as she got up. “Twilight,” Rainbow said, “you really need to get out here. Something big is going on.”

“What’s happening? Is there danger? Please tell me it’s not Discord again,” Twilight said.

“Naw, not that. I’m about to break the all-time record for the highest a pony’s ever flown.”

“Well. That’s certainly big,” Twilight said. She resigned herself to not being able to take care of her astronomy until at least a day later. Rainbow was still going on about what she was about to do.

“I’ve got all of Ponyville out to see me break this. It’ll be the story of the year!”

“I’m sure.”

“Aw, Twilight, no need to be like that. You can go back to your studies if you really want to.”

“No, Rainbow, it’s fine. I’ll watch as well.”

“Sweet! You won’t regret it!” Rainbow flipped in mid-air. “I just hope you’re as excited as I am.”

“Probably not,” Twilight answered honestly. “This is your moment.”

“Heh! You’re right, it is my moment! I wonder if Fluttershy will cheer me like she did at the Young Flyers Tournament. That was seriously awesome.”

Twilight was just about to give a snarky remark on how Fluttershy can’t really cheer, but she was interrupted by Pinkie Pie. “Hey Twilight! I bet you’re gonna be super duper excited at what Rainbow’s gonna do! It’s gonna be sweet! Like cakes! And chocolate! Ooh! Or chocolate cakes! Hmm, chocolate cakes,” Pinkie blurted.

“I’ve already told her,” Rainbow said.

Pinkie frowned, but before she could retort, Twilight interjected her. “Rainbow, aren’t you supposed to be breaking a record?”

“Oh yeah, that. I’ll get right on that,” Rainbow said, and she launched herself. All of Ponyville watched as she flew higher and higher, up and up, until they couldn’t see her anymore. Twilight brought out her telescope, and everybody clustered around as Rainbow flew up, the sky darkening around her.

“And… she’s… got it!” Twilight cheered as Rainbow breached the previous record, and all of Ponyville followed in turn. Suddenly, Rainbow stopped, looking at something behind the telescope’s field of view. Twilight began to turn the telescope, but Rainbow suddenly dove for the ground as fast as she could. Twilight saw the speed cone form around her, and as she watched, rainbow executed a Sonic Rainboom. But she didn’t stop there, she just kept diving. She leveled out just in time, and she came up running to where Twilight stood.

“Twilight. We have big problems. We need to talk to the other Princesses right away,” Dash said.

“What sort of problems?” The question was uttered by everypony.

“Bad ones,” Rainbow said, “and I don’t think we can deal with them without Luna and Celestia. I think your studies have just been made redundant.”