• Published 21st Mar 2012
  • 453 Views, 0 Comments

The Curse of The Sixth Element - Rocky Isle



Friendships are tested and dark secrets are revealed when Twilight discovers the Elements of Magic.

  • ...
 0
 453

And So It Begins

Chapter 2: And So It Begins


With a slight push of one of her front hooves, Twilight Sparkle opened the door to her library residence embracing the noon sunlight. Panning left and right, she let out a sigh of relief as the ponies of Ponyville ran, or in the case of the pegasus ponies, flew about their normal daily lives. After watching the three races of earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns for a few more moments longer, Twilight began to smile as she finally stepped outside.

"I'm going to head to Sugarcube Corner for a pick-me-up Spike." Twilight called to her dragon pet as she walked outside.

"Hey can I come too?" Spiked asked as he swallowed the last piece of a fire red ruby. "I've been dying for a sapphire cupcake, so can I? There's not much to do here as you slept in and didn't make a mess or anything."

Stepping back inside to assess the state of the library, the pony was indeed surprise how tidy it was. With the exception of a few books on the floor, a couple sheets of parchment spread out on her desk, and ruby crumbs on the table her home was pretty much spotless. Content with her humble abode and with Spike looking at her with pleading eyes, Twilight decided to take her scaly pet along for a treat. Once again stepping outside, this time with her dragon Spike, Twilight began her trot to the bakery. Out of the corner of her eyes she noticed a mare pegasus standing next to her mailbox.

"Excuse me," Twilight started at the mare, "do you have anything there for me?"

With a flick of her yellow tail, the grey coated pony turned around holding a crumpled letter in her hoof which she apparently had failed to place in the mailbox repeatedly. With a puzzled expression on her crossed-eyed face, the mailmare Derpy Hooves handed the letter over to Twilight.

"I tried to put it in but I don't know what went wrong. It just wouldn't go in the box..." Derpy confessed apologetically. "I’m really sorry Twilight."

"It's ok." Twilight smiled weakly as she took the letter and open the mailbox with a quick dash of magic. To both of the ponies’ dismay, the box was completely empty. While closing the box and opening the straighten letter simultaneously with her magic, Twilight forced a simple "Thank you Derpy." before reading it.

Chuckling, Spike gave the pegasus a slight poke at her torso and said, "Better luck next time Derpy. Maybe you should..."

"Oh no! I'm gonna be late!" Twilight gasped as she dropped the letter. "I totally forgot that Pinkie Pie was having a get-together today. Why didn't this get here sooner?" She demanded.

"I forgot to take it with me when I left for my morning route. So when I was finished I went back to the office and grabbed it before I went to try some new muff..."

"Ugh never mind" the unicorn interrupted before disappearing in a flash of light.

"Hey don't forget me...ah shoot." Spike cried before realizing his master teleporting herself away. "I really hate it when she does th...BLURP" With a belch and a spit of green fire, a letter appeared with the royal seal on it. Breaking the seal and unrolling the fine parchment, the little dragon’s eyes opened in amazement. "Umm...it's from Princess Celestia and it's for you Derpy."With both disbelief in his voice and an expression on his face, the dragon went to pass the parchment over to Derpy.

Sitting down on her back and clapping her two front hooves with excitement, she demanded "Oh read it, read it!"

"Umm ok. Ahem..." Clearing his throat and straightening his back, Spike began to read the letter,

"I, Princess Celestia, hereby request the assistance of the pegasus Derpy Hooves in a simple endeavor. While I'm away with my sister Luna, I request that you keep an eye on my student Twilight Sparkle, who I'm sure you have met by now. If, however, that this task will interfere with your work as a mailmare and/or mover or with any planned activities, future or present, with your filly, Dinky, then please disregard this request. I have already informed Zecora to keep an eye on Ponyville during my absence. Should you accept, please report to Zecora if my student gets involved in anything out of the ordinary. You may find Zecora in the Everfree Forest living in a small hut. The pegasus Fluttershy should be able to aid you should you need any guidance through the forest. Rest assured you will be rewarded for the trouble, whether anything happens or not, once I return to my castle in Canterlot.

With the best of regards and to a pleasant report,

Princess Celestia

P.S Please keep this a secret from Twilight and her friends."

Once he finished reading the royal request, Derpy and Spike both stared at each other in complete bewilderment before the young dragon asked " So what are you gonna do? You are going to do this for the Princess right? I mean even though this is an odd request, a personal request from the Princess is...amazing"

Resting her head on her two front hooves, Derpy began to contemplate on what to do when a slight rumble of hunger broke her thought. "I don't know what to do, but for now I'm gonna go and try some of the new muffins that Pinkie is making. Wanna come too?" And with that she stood up on all four hooves and gave her wings a stretch.

Unknown on whether he should comment on how the pegasus quickly changed the topic to muffins or how odd it look to watch her think with her eyes crossed, Spike quietly asked "Mind if I hop on your back for a ride to Sugarcube then?"

Crouching down so the dragon could mount her back, Derpy readied her wings and warned Spike “This might be a little rough so hang on tight."

*****

"I reckon that Twi should’ve been here by now." Applejack, an orange coated and blonde mane pony, commented as she looked at a clock posted above the table. Adjusting the tan colored cowboy on top of her head, she added with a hint of concern in her voice, "She's not one to be tardy ya know."

"Indeed. I wonder whatever could be keeping her. It's already past noon." Rarity added as she brushed her curled violet mane from her eyes. Taking a sip of iced water from a spiraled pink straw, the unicorn glared at the cyan colored pegasus. "I do hope she hasn't got her nose stuck in a book like some pony we know."

Picking up on the subtle implication, Rainbow Dash slammed the book, Daring Do and The Golden Horseshoe, and objected in her tomboyish voice, "Hey! I was at a good part and I almost had that chapter read. And besides, at least I didn't spend over an hour combing my mane and tail." With a mischievous grin, she ran a hoof through her untidy rainbow colored mane and flicked her tail in Rarity's face.

"Well pardon me for trying to look presentable." Rarity scuffed. "Unlike you, my beautiful white coat tends to show every bit of dye from my fabrics. Do you even know how hard it is to keep it clean? Oh and don't get me started on my mane." Taking another sip of water, she sighed deeply in preparation for an explanation on grooming ones mane.

Knowing that Rarity would go on forever, and that Rainbow dash couldn't care less about grooming techniques, Applejack interjected "Ok y'all. Let's settle down now." Pointing to an empty chair on her right side she then continued, "Any minute now Twilight will storm through those there doors all huffin' and puffin' and we'll enjoy whatever the hay Pinkie Pie is cookin' up in there." No sooner where the words out of her mouth, a blinding light lite up the whole sitting area in the bakery, and Twilight Sparkle appeared on the mentioned chair. With the other two ponies speechless, Applejack concluded with a satisfied smile, "Told ya'll she'll be here soon."

"Well. How nice for you to um...drop in?" Rarity greeted with uncertainty as to what words to use.

"Yeah..." Rainbow added, "Nice way to make an entrance."

"Sorry everypony for being late." Twilight started. "I somehow slept in and before I knew it, it was almost noon." Looking around and noticing that the store was completely empty except for herself and her three friends, she asked slightly puzzled, "Why is the store empty? And where are Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie?"

"Well sugarcube, Fluttershy said she had to deal with a grumpy ol' bear or somethin' and Pinkie's bakin' up somethin' in there. Should be done soon I'm thinkin'." Apple answered Twilight. Once again the earth pony was right. With faint ding coming from the room behind the counter filled with various bake goods in its display case, following by the rapid opening and closing of what sounded like an oven door, a pink blur plopped two trays of steaming golden muffins next to the cash register. "Eh, told ya."

"Whew, who knew try to make golden muffins would be so hard to make." said a playful voice from behind the counter. "Once they cool down in a few they should be all yummy in our tummies!" Walking from behind the counter, Pinkie Pie smiled once she saw the other ponies. Noticing that Twilight was now amongst the gang, she acknowledged her presence with enthusiasm, "Heya. Glad you could make it for my super ultra-once-in-a-lifetime taste test Twilight. Want something to drink? Where's Spike to anyways?"

Taking a moment to sort through the bombardment of words from the hyper pony, Twilight realized that she had forgotten Spike back at the library. Sighing heavily, she answered tiredly, "I forgot him back at the library. And yes I would like something to drink. Do you have a pick-me-up or something to wake me up? I'm feeling a little bit tired."

"No probelm-o Twi! I'll whip you up something in two shakes of a hoof."

As the four watched Pinkie vanished in a pink blur, Twilight plopped her head down on the table and let out a slight moan. The nightmare which she had begun to creep through her mind. Unsure of whether to ask the others for their opinion on the matter or not, she just rested on the table. Bringing up the topic of Discord would just ruin everyone’s day, she concluded to herself.

"Somethin' got you bothered?" Applejack asked softy. "Seem like there's a cloud hanging over yer head."

Opening her eyes, Twilight mumbled with her front hooves over her face, "I just had a really weird dream last night, that's all."

Glancing at Rainbow Dash, who just shrugged her shoulders, Rarity added to Apple's question, "Do you want to talk about it darling? You might feel a bit better."

Removing her hooves from her face, the troubled unicorn responded, "I had a dream about Discord..." Instantly, the three ponies looked at each other with a sense of concern. They knew the troubles that Discord caused Ponyville several months ago. Nearly tearing their friendship apart, the beast was a truly terrible foe and any matters dealing with him were not to be taken lightly.

"Ha!" Rainbow laughed with a brave tone in her voice. "We beat that loser ages ago. There's no way in Equestria that he'll come back to get us. The six of us turned him into a statue with the Elements of Harmony."

"I know," Twilight added, "but it seems like there's something we missed."

"Now you listen here sugarcube, there's no way anythin' bad is gonna happen. We fix everythin' back then." Applejack reassuringly pointed out. "Besides, between the town’s ponies, ourselves, and the two princesses, we would've noticed somethin' by now if we did miss anythin'."

"I'm sure it was just a nasty dream dear." Rarity chipped in as she gave Twilight a gentle rub on the back. "If it'll make you feel better we can all go check on his statue once we're finished here."

Looking at the smiles of reassurance on the three ponies faces, Twilight smiled weakly and sighed, "Yeah, let’s do that." Peering over her shoulders, she noticed Pinkie Pie carrying a tray on her back with five glasses filled with a pink bubbly liquid. "Looks like she made some drinks for all of us." Once the pink pony reached the table, Twilight gently lifted the glasses with her magic and placed them down. Watching Pinkie go back to grab one of the muffin trays, Twilight glanced at the store's entrance and thought out loud, "I wonder what's keeping Spike?" Unsure on how to answer, the remaining three ponies exchanged glances before they tried their drinks.

Taking a sip of the green, bubbly concoction before her, Twilight's eyes, along with Rarity's, Applejack's and Rainbow Dash's, opened up as an energizing sensation filled her body. "Wow!" she exclaimed, "This is really good." Taking another sip, Twilight picked up on the sour flavor of green apples followed by the sweet after taste of sugar. Sipping again, the mare finally felt truly awake for the first time that day.

"If you thought that was good, try these." Pinkie suggested as she placed a try with the golden muffins in the center of the table. "I used some golden powder that the Cake's had poked away to get them...well...golden. But sure enough it worked!" Pointing to a red box she had tied around her neck, Pinkie continued, "I got the second batch here for my muffin taste tester, who should arrive right about now."

The five ponies turned towards then swinging doors of the entrance as Derpy staggered in followed by Spike. Tripping up in her own hooves, the mare pegasus fell down on the wooden floor with a slight thump. Slightly dizzy his own self, the dragon wobbled towards Twilight, almost tripping up in Derpy's front hooves. "Remind me to never to ride on her back again." He grumbled as he sat down next to his owner.

"Mighty nice for ya'll to join us." Applejack said with a smile as she chewed on the baked good. "Want one of these here muffins. They're deee-licious." She exclaimed.

"Nah." Spiked refused. "You got any sapphire cupcakes Pinkie Pie?"

"Sure do Spike. Just give me a sec and I'll have one for you in a jiffy." Helping Derpy back on her hooves, Pinkie handed her the red box that was strapped around her neck. "Hope you enjoy them!"

With a grinned plastered on her face, Derpy happily replied, "Thanks. I'll let you know if Dinky likes them too." With the parcel tied to her neck, she gave the ponies a smile and waved goodbye before dashing outside.

"Well then. Now that everyone pony and dragon, except for Fluttershy, is here. Let’s chow down and have some fun!" Placing Spike's cupcake, which was a light blue in color with sapphire chips throughout the white icing; Pinkie plopped on the stool next to the dragon and began to munch on a muffin. Eventual the room was filled with a pleasant mixture of friendly chatter and laughter.

****

"Is it just me or has it gotten awfully quiet outside?" Twilight questioned after all the treats were eaten. Returning on all four hooves, she walked towards the door to take a quick look. Noticing an oddly shaped figure surrounded by a large group of ponies near the town hall, she motioned the other to follow her to check it out. As they slowly approached the mass of ponies, a shiver of fear trembled down their backs once the figured came into view.

A beast, similar to a dragon stood before them. Standing on its hind legs, the black scaled monster stood perfectly still with its arms crossed and eyes closed as if it was in deep meditation. Two massive wings, each large enough to fit at least six grown ponies on them, with a deep burgundy spread out form its back. The beast's tail rested lifelessly by its feet which were equipped with a set of five ivory claws.

"Hey Twi." Applejack whispered into Twilight's ear, "Is it me or does that guy look like a heap of trouble?"

"Yeah...something is definitely not right here." The unicorn responded. "I'm getting a really weird vibe from it."

"Well then, what are we going to do? Stay here and gawk at whatever it is like everyone else?" Rarity questioned quietly, trying not to wake the beast.

Jumping into the air, Rainbow Dash fearlessly flew over to size up the strange creature. "Doesn't seem like he’s hostile. But man you should see these muscles. His arms are almost as big as me" She called to Twilight and her gang. After circling around the dragon-like beast several times, she landed close to his tail and stared up at its face. "He must be at least four or five times my height."

Feeling a bit more secured to approach the stranger, every pony slowly trotted forward until an authoritative voice shouted from the crowd, "Everypony stay back!" Poking through the crowd, Mayor Mare emerged and gave a forceful stare to the ponies. Walking around to face the beast, she motioned Rainbow away before asking, "Who are you and what business do you have in Ponyville?"

Spreading its wings to double their size before relaxing them again, the beast opened his solid yellow eyes, and pointed at Twilight's group with one of his now unfolded arms. Pointing specifically at Twilight with an ivory tipped clawed, he started in a deep voice that matched his appearance, "I've only come here seeking the one who holds the sixth, Magic"

"Magic?" The mayor questioned. "What do you mean by 'sixth' and 'magic'? If you're wondering about magic then every unicorn here can use 'magic'"

Ignoring the tan coated mare the beast continued, "You, the purple unicorn. You hold the Element of Magic do you not? After all," he grinned maliciously, exposing his razor sharp white teeth, "you did indeed summon me to this place."

Confusion ran amongst the residences as they question to each other what he meant by summoned and element while taking subtle glances at Twilight. Confused her own self, she stared at the ground for a few seconds until the mayor backed up beside her and whispered, "Do you have any idea what this thing is talking about Twilight?"

Shaking her head no, Twilight then took a few steps before the beast. Looking straight into its yellow eyes, she addressed the beast in a serious tone, "I may indeed hold the Element of Magic within me; however I did not summon you here. I suggest you get to the point on why you're here or else we're going to ask you to leave."

Staring down on scowling face, the monster then looked amongst the crowd with his devilish grin. "Me, leave? Well that'll depend on you and the other five no? Which leads me to two questions. Where is the last bearer of the Elements, after all there should be six of you, and if you do intend to make me leave wouldn't it be wise to make some room for a fight?"

Pasting together the words of the monster, Twilight's face became emotionless as a revolution came to her. Maybe the dream that she had that previous was a forewarning of things to come, and that Discord had indeed planned something to happen.

"Take the mayor and round up everypony to the farm. Stay there with everypony till we send him packin'." Applejack ordered Twilight. "If you stays here who knows what he'll do to ya."

"But who knows what he'll do to you guys?" The unicorn argued back.

"Don't worry sugarcube. Between the four of us we should be able to handle this guy I think. He may just look all big and strong but size means nuttin'."

"Yes, do take these bystanders away from here. It would be a pity if someone had to needlessly get hurt." the dragon agreed with Applejack mockingly. "I'll play with these four until you come back."

Wasting no time, Mayor Mare called everyone to follow her to Sweet Apple Acres, the farm which Applejack was talking about. Tossing Spike on her back by grabbing his tail with her mouth, Twilight joined the retreating ponies.

"Alright big guy, let's see how you hold up against the fastest flyer from Clousdale." Rainbow Dash declared as she readied herself for flight. Following suite, the other three ponies braced themselves for combat.

Pleased with the group, the beast opened his hands, welcoming anything that they would throw at him. "And so it begins." He started. "I do hope you at least last until Miss. Magic and the fifth arrive."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment