• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 697 Views, 4 Comments

Entombed by Vanity: A Tale of Vampirism in Equestria - Robotlegs



Rarity is beside herself over the inevitability of old age and loss of her beauty. She takes matters into her own hooves and through a chance encounter with a handsome stranger, her wish for beauty is granted. However, Equestria is now in danger.

  • ...
1
 4
 697

6th Movement

Spike was deep in the Everfree Forest as night fell. The only source of light was the full moon. Spike was in such a rush he forgot to bring a lantern. The only thing he carried was a red jewel that he would gift to Rarity. He naively believed the act of kindness would turn Rarity back to her normal self.

Wow, it sure is scary here at night! If I were Rarity, where would I be?

Every sound in the EverFree Forest made Spike jump. As he travelled deeper, he began to realize he was in over his head. The EverFree Forest was so large for such a little dragon. He didn’t have a real plan of action. Spike clutched the jewel tight to himself, much like a filly would hang on to a stuffed doll for comfort. Despondency mixed with fear. He sat down on a rock and started to cry.

Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. I wish Twilight were here.

Aside from his sobbing, he thought he heard whispers within the shadows.
“Spike.”

“Huh? Who’s there?”

“Spike.”

His scales stood on end.

“Oh Spike. My Spikey Wikey.”

He could have sworn it was Rarity.

“Rarity, is that you?”

Spike turned around and saw Rarity walking towards him. To Spike, Rarity had never looked so beautiful in her gown at that moment. He was utterly entranced.

“Spikey Wikey, you came all this way to see me? Is that jewel for me? How did you know red is my favorite color?”

Spike was completely lost in Rarity’s eyes and smile. He had failed to see Rarity’s fangs. His guard was down as she plunged her fangs into his neck. However, her fangs couldn’t penetrate through his tough scales. The pressure of Rarity’s bite on his neck was enough to make Spike come to his senses. Rarity continued to hang on. Her biting changed to gnawing.

“Help! Help!” Screamed Spike; barely getting the words out.

Spike took a swipe at Rarity in desperation. His claws dug into her underside and Rarity fell back, releasing him. She got back up and saw Spike running towards his pony comrades and the Royal Sisters. Much to Rarity’s surprise, Pinkie Pie was also with them, healthy although bandaged and bruised.

“Spike are you ok?” Asked Fluttershy.

“Scales are a dragon’s best friend!”

Rarity sneered at the group.

“Look what we have here. Pinkie Pie, you’re doing well.”

“No thanks to you, big meanie!”

“I see you brought reinforcements Princess Luna. What do you plan to do, eradicate me? Rest assured I won’t make it easy. What could have been a battle between the two of us will now be a bloodbath. Poor decision.”

Princess Luna was silent. Rarity floated and swayed above the other ponies. She had an ominous appearance against the backdrop of the night sky. Twilight Sparkle plucked up her courage and took a few steps forward.

“Rarity, things are not what they seem. We learned of Prince Nocturnus and his past. We don’t know what he was in store for you. You’re in great danger. Let us help you.” Said Twilight Sparkle.

Rarity waved off Twilight’s imploring.

“Behind every fear is a wish, Twilight. I feared old age and physical decline. I feared my beauty fading but most of all, I feared death. Prince Nocturnus helped me realize that. Because of fear, I searched and found the solution. Everything I wanted came to fruition. Strangely, its after-effects were nothing I had in mind, but I digress. Matter of fact, I have taken to them quite well.”

Rarity quickly descended towards Twilight Sparkle and glared at her.

What do you fear Twilight? Do you fear being abandoned by Princess Celestia? Do you fear being all alone to fend for yourself? Do you fear incompetence? Do tell us Twilight.”

Everypony stood in stunned silence at the revelation.

“You abandoned everything in your life, aligned yourself with a malevolent entity, basically putting Equestria in danger just so you could preserve your looks?” Said Twilight Sparkle in disbelief.

Rarity rose once more into the sky and turned her attention to the others present.

“What do all of you fear? I was brave enough to do something.”

She then turned to the Royal Sisters.

“Now Princess Luna, your crown will be mine. If you wish to stop me, this is your last chance. And Princess Celestia, don’t think I forgot about you. You will feel my wrath as well. My dear friends, en guard!”

With that, a great battle ensued. Rarity dived towards Princess Luna, but Rainbow Dash tackled her. Rarity and Rainbow Dash landed on the ground with a great force. Both ponies wrestled each other but Rarity easily pushed Rainbow Dash off, sending her into the air and landing on a tree branch.

“Rarity is suprisingly strong!” Said Rainbow Dash bewildered.

Both Applejack and Pinkie Pie jumped on Rarity as she was down in an attempt to constrain her. Rarity struck both of them, sending them flying with hooves flailing. The Royal Sisters fired several energy beams as Rarity stood up. She dodged them and returned fire, hitting and hurting both Princesses. Rarity was hit in the back by an energy beam from Twilight Sparkle. Her legs buckled from the impact. Rarity fired back in turn, hitting Twilight.

“Take that!” Said Rarity.

Twilight gritted her teeth but stood her ground. She rapidly fired several beams back. A few hit Rarity, forcing her to stumble.
“Rainbow, Pinkie charge her!” Yelled Applejack.

Immediately Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Applejack rushed Rarity from her blind spot, knocking her off her hooves. Twilight shot at Rarity again, sending her tumbling back even further. She landed with a grunt near a cowering Fluttershy, who was trying to remain inconspicuous during the melee.

“Hello there, Fluttershy.” Said Rarity with a smirk.

Fluttershy squeaked. Rarity was about to bite her when she felt a strong tug on her tail.
“Get away from her!” Said Spike.

Rarity kicked Spike, knocking him unconscious.

“Spike!” Yelled Fluttershy.
Fluttershy instinctively ran to Spike to aid him. Fluttershy didn’t realize she grazed Rarity as she darted passed. Rarity turned to face Fluttershy who was cradling Spike. With a growl, Rarity pounced.

“Now!” Yelled Princess Luna.
At the moment when Rarity was inches away from striking Fluttershy, Princess Celestia shot an energy beam that took the form of a lasso around Rarity. It rendered her immovable in mid-air.

“Twilight, her horn!” Shouted Princess Celestia.

Twilight shot a similar energy beam, this time around Rarity’s horn to prevent her from using magic. Rarity was squirming and gnashing her teeth as she was incapacitated.

“Cowards! All of you!”

With Rarity constrained, Princess Luna calmly walked towards her.

“My dearest child, you have lost your way. This is not your natural state of being. It is not in you to selfishly take. You, Rarity represent the Element of Generosity. All of your life, you have shared your wondrous talent with others and never turned anypony away. Every dress you made, from the simplest to the most opulent, was a reflection of your joyous and giving spirit. You also inspired other ponies with your creations. You have become the mentor of many. Sweet child, the night is not meant for terror and fear. I shall reveal the restorative and healing powers of the night, and through it you shall be reconciled with yourself, your friends, and all of Equestria.”

Princess Luna looked towards the sky and gracefully spread her wings. She closed her eyes and whispered inaudible incantations. She ascended straight heavenward. Higher and higher Princess Luna rose until she was seen as a faint dot flying across the moon. Everypony fixed their gaze upon Princess Luna’s flight and observed as Luna flew, the stars and moon followed her aerial dance. It was subtle, yet clearly visible. After a few moments had passed, Princess Luna began her descent back. The night sky pulsed and rippled as waves upon the ocean. The moon and stars were getting closer. Princess Luna returned and everypony looked in amazement as Princess Luna wore the night sky as a cape. She had brought the moon and all the stars down with her. The moon was so close; a pegasus can easily fly up to touch it. The stars resembled giant glowing fireflies. Rarity was breathing heavily through gritted teeth with her head down.

“My precious child, gaze upon the moon and be at peace.”

Princess Luna again took flight and stationed herself above the cosmic ambiance. A warm blue glow emanated downward from her horn upon the moon. The moon began to change its appearance rapidly. Princess Luna’s magic transformed it to pure diamond. Rarity picked her head up at the Diamond Moon. Her agitation became tranquility and she stared at it with astonishment. Tears came to her eyes as the magnificence of the sight overcame her.

It’s so beautiful! It’s unbearable!

Her cutie mark began to glow a blue light, climaxing into a bright flash. Rarity threw her head back and landed on the ground hard as Princess Celestia and Twilight Sparkle released their magical grasps on her. She groaned and writhed in discomfort. Everypony immediately ran to her. Rarity turned her head up to see all of her friends looking back at her.

“Rarity? Rarity!” Yelled her friends.

Everypony waited in anticipation as to Rarity’s next action. Would she still be a vampire or back to her normal self? Rarity got up by her own strength and looked around the EverFree Forest. She marveled at the moon and stars around her. The hunger that drove Rarity to do unfathomable things was no longer. What was old was new again. Everything was as before. She removed her gown that was now tattered. She knelt down before Princess Luna.

“Princess, there are no word to express my gratitude. You brought down the night sky to heal me. I didn’t realize I was headed down a dark path.”

Princess Luna unfastened the night sky from her neck. The moon and stars returned to their original configuration in the heavens. Yet the moon remained as a diamond, gleaming high above. All of Equestria was illuminated in a dazzling brilliance. Ponies all across the land went outside to bear witness to the glittering scene.

“Rise Rarity. Friends need not kneel before each other. You received your cutie mark by finding a large diamond, and in turn, you found yourself. Your cutie mark of the most precious of gems is a testament of that event. I made it so through another diamond, you found yourself again. Diamonds do not shine in darkness but in the light. Those that truly care about their friends will come to their aid. And just as you freed me along side your friends, I have freed you.”

Rarity’s gaze turned towards Pinkie Pie. She began to break down in tears.

“I can’t believe the pain and grief I have caused! How audacious of me to attack a dear friend. I’m so sorry for what I’ve done!” Said Rarity contritely.

“I didn’t know it was you until the rest of the gang told me. I mean, you were you, but not the Rarity I knew. So that means you were kinda sorta you, but not really.”

Rarity and Pinkie Pie could only laugh as they embraced warmly. Rarity then turned to Fluttershy, who had her head down.

“Fluttershy, I need to apologize to you as well. Your chickens were more than pets to you. They were your friends. I feel nothing but regret.”

“I do miss them so.” Said Fluttershy.

Rarity and Fluttershy hugged.

“I’m so truly sorry.” Rarity whispered in Fluttershy’s ear during their embrace.

Rarity then turned to Spike. Fluttershy had helped him come to but he was still unsteady from the blow Rarity dealt him earlier.

“Spike, you too deserve an apology. You so innocently tried to fix what was wrong. There is no malice in your heart.”

Spike beamed, as he couldn’t have been happier to see her.

“Thank you all for your compassion. I’m so overjoyed to be back and to have all of you back!” Said Rarity.

Everpony gathered around Rarity to give her a big hug. Afterwards Spike turned Rarity.

“I’m so glad you’re all right Rarity! But can you please make everything stop spinning though?”

Everypony laughed but the beautiful moment wouldn’t last for long.

“Dear Rarity, you’ve failed me.”

An energy beam that came out of nowhere struck Rarity. She tumbled back a great distance. Everypony ran to her aid. She slowly got back up with assistance from her friends.

“It’s him!” Said Rarity in a pained voice.

“What a touching site. My heart would break at the sight before me, if I still had one.” Said Prince Nocturnus as he materialized out of thin air.

“Prince Nocturnus!” Said Princess Celestia.

“At your service my Princess. Said Prince Nocturnus as he bowed sarcastically.

“And you’ve brought friends. They shall be witness to my power and your doom.”

Prince Nocturnus’ face was a mask of fury as he turned to Rarity.

“I’ve grown tired of this prison of a forest! Rarity, I had such high hopes for you. But having you as my puppet wasn’t a total loss. It was the first time in a long time I drank pony blood instead of dining on vermin and bottom feeders.”

The Prince shook his head.

“You played the part so well. I was considering having you as my vassal. I’ll have everyone also know she was a willing servant. However, you must pay for your incompetence.”

His horn glowed ominously as he pointed it at Rarity. Just has he fired an energy beam towards her, Princess Celestia leapt in front of Rarity, shielding her and absorbing the full impact. She fell head over hooves.

“Princess!” Shouted Rarity.

Princess Celestia groaned. Determined to not show weakness in front of Prince Nocturnus, she got up on her own. Her legs instantly gave and she fell forward. Twilight Sparkle ran to her.

“Hmm, not what I had in mind but still a gain. Get used to bowing in front of me just as you are now Princess of the sun! Rarity, I shall deal with you later.”

Meanwhile, Twilight assisted her mentor up. Princess Celestia’s legs were shaking violently.

“Princess, are you okay?”

“Don’t worry about me Twilight. I’ll be fine.”

He turned his sights to Princess Luna.

“Ah, my precious Princess Luna. It’s so good to see you again. I’ve missed you.”

Princes Nocturnus looked up at the Diamond Moon.

“Impressive, but it could use a shade of red, don’t you think?”

The Prince laughed.

“I also learned a little secret about you. How about we both have some privacy?”

His horn began to glow a shade of black. An all-consuming darkness overtook the forest scenery. The Everfree Forest changed into a place as black as pitch. Princess Luna found herself alone with Prince Nocturnus in a gloomy dimension created by his dark magic. Prince Nocturnus continued to speak.

“Rarity spoke of the origins of Nightmare Moon to me. How you were envious of your sister—how you intended to plunge Equestria into eternal night—how you were imprisoned on the moon for a thousand years—everything.

The Prince smirked.

“She even told me that you still have the ability to transform into Nightmare Moon, just as you did when you two did battle last night. I wished I could have seen that side of you.”

Prince Nocturnus turned his back to Princess Luna.

“So I guess nothing is what it seems. Everything is not as pure and simplistic as first thought. Everything is a façade. Imagine that, disharmony between the Royal Sisters, how deliciously unexpected. And to think, Rarity became evil after becoming a vampire, yet the evil was in you the whole time. All that was needed was the proper inspiration.”

Princess Luna put her head down while Prince Nocturnus turned back to face her. He started walking towards her slowly.
“Tell me Princess, how can you not have hatred for your sister for what she did? You have reunited with Princess Celestia, but have you really forgiven her? One thousand years is a very long time. You were all alone, with no contact with anypony else, as if you were a common thief. She wouldn’t even keep you in the castle dungeon. She imprisoned you on the moon no less! The travesty! The arrogance! How dare she! That tyrant!”

Prince Nocturnus stomped his hoof. The sound echoed and reverberated.

“There must be rage in your heart.” Said the Prince in an angered whisper.

Prince Nocturnus licked his lips.

“There must still be that desire to overthrow your sister and rule Equestria. We can rule Equestria. You couldn’t do it by yourself but we can do it together. We can send her to the moon.”

Prince Nocturnus disappeared and reappeared next to Princess Luna. He continued to speak softly in her ear.

“We can be such a lovely royal couple. We can be together again.”

What the Prince said gave Princess Luna pause.

“Prince Nocturnus—”

“Yes my dear?”

“You are still as deviant and wicked as we last encountered! I see through your lies!”

Princess Luna’s horn started to glow brightly and the darkness was dispelled. Both Prince Nocturnus and Princess Luna found themselves back in the EverFree Forest with the others.

“Sister, it is time to purge this evil from Equestria. Just as we planned.” Shouted Princess Luna.

Princess Celestia, though still in great pain, began to fly above the Everfree Forest. Her horn glowed a brilliant yellow light. Dawn slowly began to break in Equestria as she began to raise the sun in the sky. Princess Luna joined her sister in the air, holding the Diamond Moon in place. Prince Nocturnus began to fire energy beams at them. Both Royal sisters deftly avoided them and upon seeing this, Rarity directed energy beams of her own towards the Prince.

“What!” Exclaimed Prince Nocturnus.

“I’m not afraid of you!” Said Rarity defiantly.

Her friends were astonished at her bravery. Prince Nocturnus glared at Rarity in disbelief.

“Such impudence!"

The Prince turned his head upward. Princess Celestia began floundering in raising the sun, as she was still in pain from the injury she sustained earlier. The horizon oscillated between total darkness and slight illumination.

“I think the time to deal with you is now.” Said the Prince nodding his head.

Confident in believing he had time, Prince Nocturnus began to walk with a slow, arrogant pace towards Rarity and her friends.
“I’ll show you.” Said Prince Nocturnus under his breath.

Rage burned in his eyes.

“Now girls—“

Rarity’s friends gathered around to hear her plan.

“In all honesty, there is no way we can put up much resistance, he is much too powerful. But we must fight. By distracting him we’ll buy time for the Princesses.” Said Rarity.

“He’s getting closer!” Yelled Pinkie Pie.

“If it’s any consolation, he wants me the most. This is a chance for me to atone for the wrong I’ve done. If this is our last stand together, please know I love you all.” Said Rarity.

“Let’s go!” Yelled Rainbow Dash as she flew into the sky.

Rainbow Dash began to dive towards Prince Nocturnus. He was the epitome of calm as he looked up at Rainbow Dash approaching him at an incredible speed. As Rainbow Dash was about to strike, he raised is hoof up to Rainbow Dash. She came to a jarring stop and was suspended in mid-air.

“What the hay!”

Prince Nocturnus waved his hoof nonchalantly, and Rainbow Dash was flung a great distance. She landed hard within a thicket.
“Where am I and which way is up?” Said Rainbow Dash as she tried to disentangle herself.

The Prince continued to calmly walk towards Rarity.

“C’mon Pinkie! It’s time to go hoof to hoof with this varmint.” Shouted Applejack.

“Okie Dokie Lokie!”

Both Pinkie Pie and Applejack rushed Prince Nocturnus in an attempt to swarm him. Prince Nocturnus easily evaded their wild attacks and physically countered them. Both ponies were knocked back and collided with each other.

Princess Celestia wasn’t kidding about him bein’ tough!” Said Applejack deeply dazed.

“You’re telling me!” Replied a mutually bewildered Pinkie Pie.

“Engaging in hoofsticuffs? How unsophisticated!” Said the Prince with a scoff.

Prince Nocturnus was getting closer to Fluttershy, who was trembling uncontrollably.

Fluttershy flinched and cowered before him with her hooves over her face.

“Simply pathetic.” Said Prince Nocturnus as he levitated her out of the way and onto Applejack and Pinkie Pie, who attempted to mount another attack on him.

Meanwhile, Princess Celestia continued to struggle in raising the sun.

“Please hurry my sister, he is attacking our allies! More light!” Said Princess Luna with urgency.

Gritting her teeth, Princess Celestia redoubled her efforts. The outer edge of the sun became visible on the horizon.

Back on the ground, Twilight readied herself against the Prince.

“Everypony stand back!” Exclaimed Twilight as she concentrated her magic through her horn.

Everypony ran away as Twilight Sparkle’s horn glowed bright purple. Twilight shot a powerful energy beam at Prince Nocturnus. A large plume of smoke and dust rose upwards as he absorbed the full impact of Twilight’s attack.

“Twilight! You did it!” Shouted Spike.

Everypony cheered, even Rainbow Dash, who saw what happened where she was still stuck. The celebrations ceased when the dust cleared. Prince Nocturnus continued walking towards Rarity to everypony’s dread. Smoke emanated from his body as he was only singed slightly.

“A valiant effort. Now it’s my turn.”

His horn glowed a bright red before firing a powerful energy beam of his own, striking the ground where Twilight stood. The ground exploded violently and Twilight was launched in the air. She landed in a nearby tree. As Twilight gathered herself as quickly as she could, she saw Spike putting himself between Rarity and the Prince.

“Spike, no!”

With great effort she got out of the tree but it was too late to intervene. Twilight was merely a helpless bystander as the Prince drew closer to Spike and Rarity.

“Leave her alone!” Yelled Spike at the Prince.

The Prince struck Spike out of the way and grabbed Rarity by the scruff of her neck as she tried to run away. She yelped as he lifted her off the ground.

“I will show you what happens to those who betray me!”

As he brought Rarity’s neck to his mouth to bite her once more, sunrise fully broke over the land. Princess Celestia continued to move the Sun behind the Diamond Moon. The Diamond Moon didn’t blot out the light from the sun, but instead intensified it. A spectacular scene beheld throughout Equestria. It was solar eclipse with the Diamond Moon. The light was so intense, there were no shadows being cast anywhere. Prince Nocturnus had nowhere to hide from the light.

“No! This can’t be!” Prince Nocturnus growled.

Prince Nocturnus let go of Rarity as his strength left him. She ran to the safety of her friends.

“If this be my end, it shall be yours as well!” Screamed Prince Nocturnus to the Royal Sisters above.

Though weakened from the sunlight, he invoked all his dark magic through his horn and fired the most powerful and formidable energy beam he could at the Diamond Moon. Meanwhile, with the Sun and Moon in line, a beam of powerful sunlight clashed with the Prince’s dark beam. The Prince exerted much effort, as his body was tensed during his attack.

“Focus my sister!” Yelled Princess Luna.

With the combined powers of the Royal Sisters, the sunbeam became too much for Prince Nocturnus to repel. His dark beam was neutralized and the concentrated sunbeam fell upon him. The Prince let out pained, blood curdling screams as he was being burned. His face distorted in indescribable agony as he turned his sights upwards. Princess Luna locked eyes with Prince Nocturnus.

“No!”

Princess Luna stopped the sunbeam by moving the Diamond Moon out of line with the Sun. She flew down to the Prince, who was mortally wounded.

“Sister! What are you doing?” Said Princess Celestia.

“No Princess, stop!”

Everypony and Spike ran over to Princess Luna and Prince Nocturnus.

“Keep away! Let us be! Get back!” Yelled Princess Luna.

Princess Luna put the Prince over her shoulder and walked out of sight. Princess Celestia flew down to join the others.
“Don’t follow them. The fate of Equestria now lies with my sister.” Said Princess Celestia out of breath.

Princess Luna laid Prince Nocturnus on his back under the shade of a tree. She noticed his facial features had changed. He no longer had vampiric features, but looked as she remembered him millennia ago. His rattled breathing was labored. He looked up at Princess Luna in wonder.

“Princess, you look radiant. It feels wonderful to be held by you again.”

Princess Luna fought back tears.

“This can’t be happening.” Said Princess Luna.

“Princess, I’m sorry it has to be this way. Now I wish I never found that book. I must pay for the misdeeds that I have done, both then and now. There is no magic that can save me.”

Princess Luna kissed him on the forehead tenderly.

“It is my hope that through my death, both Equestria and I shall find peace. Keep me in your thoughts, and dream of me when you sleep.”

Princess Luna brushed his face gently.

“I still need your help Princess.” Said the Prince as he coughed up blood.
Princess Luna nodded her head.

“For you, my final act of love for you will be to set you free.”

Without hesitation Princess Luna drove her horn into Prince Nocturnus’ chest, piercing his heart. And In one quick motion she turned her head, breaking her horn off. The sound made from her horn breaking resembled a thunderclap. Blood freely flowed from the wound and splattered on Princess Luna’s face. Prince Nocturnus’ body began to disintegrate into dust in Princess Luna’s hooves. The wind blew hard, scattering his ashes far and wide.

“No!”

Princess Luna’s cries of anguish echoed throughout Equestria. A pain so deep, it would move the hardest heart. She began to weep uncontrollably with her face in her hooves. Princess Luna’s tears mingled with his blood on the ground. Hearing her wail, everypony and Spike ran to her.

“Dear sister—”

“Prince Nocturnus?” Asked Rarity.

“It is done. He is no more.”

Everypony felt a weight lifted off their shoulders. Their concern turned to Princess Luna. She looked mentally and emotionally spent. All were ready to offer her comfort, however words of consolation were not needed, for another astonishing event occurred before them.

“Princess, look!” Said Rainbow Dash.

“What beautiful flowers!” Said Fluttershy.

Princess Luna picked her head up and saw a carpet of delicate flowers had sprang up where his blood and her tears mixed. They were violet lilies with shimmering streaks of dark red. The flowers blossomed all around her. Princess Luna laughed softly to herself.

“He would travel to the highest mountain peaks to pick flowers for me. Even now, he has given me flowers once more.”

She smiled through her tears. Princess Celestia walked over to her sister and put her hoof on her shoulder.

“These flowers would make a wonderful addition to the royal garden.” Said Princess Celestia.
“Yes, yes they will.” Sobbed Princess Luna.

Everypony was surprised at the sight of Princess Luna without her horn.
“Princess Luna, your horn!” Exclaimed Pinkie Pie.

Princess Luna touched her forehead where her horn was. She felt a sharp edge remaining.

“Yes, it will be a while before I can use magic again. It can be reattached but it will take time to heal, as all wounds need.”
Rarity found the broken piece within the lilies.

“Allow me Princess to carry it for you. It’s the absolute least I can do.” Said Rarity as she levitated Princess Luna’s horn.

Princess Celestia scanned the horizon. The sun blazed brightly and she could hear the distant chirping of birds. She winced in pain.
“It has been a harrowing time for all of us.” Said Princess Celestia.

She quickly looked at everypony.

“All of us have injuries. The best thing we can do now tend to them.” Said Princess Celestia.

“Let’s go everypony. Time to mosey on out.” Said Applejack.

Applejack turned to Rarity.

“Just so you know, Sweetie Belle is on the farm, for safekeeping.” Said Applejack.

“Yeah, she misses you a whole lot.” Added Rainbow Dash.

“I miss greatly her too.”

“Spike do you need me to carry you?” Asked Fluttershy.

“No I’m ok. If anything I may need to carry Rarity home.”

“That is quite alright Spike, but thank you for the gesture.” Said Rarity as she patted him on the head.

Everypony started heading back to Ponyville. Some walked slowly while others limped. Princess Luna remained back for a moment. She couldn’t bear to leave.

“Goodbye my sweet Prince.”

As Princess Luna began to join the others, she suddenly stopped and looked back at the field of flowers pensively again. Rarity noticed she stopped walking and went to her. She stood along side Princess Luna.

“Princess, I take the blame for this whole mess. If I hadn’t foolishly entangled myself with him, this would have never happened.”
Princess Luna took a deep breath.

“Rarity, there are times in life where there are no easy decisions. Sometimes, you must choose which regret you must live with. As Princess and my royal duty, it is my responsibility to protect my subjects. I saved you and rid Equestria of an ancient evil. He could have possibly done the same or worse to another one of my precious subjects and put Equestria at risk, if I continued let him live. Yes, at one time I did love him, but personal feelings should have no such bearing in matters such as this. Everything I do is for the benefit and goodwill of Equestria. Whatever personal outlook I may have on the matter, I must struggle with alone.”

Rarity nodded her head in understanding.

“You are wise and I am forever grateful.”

Princess Luna smiled bravely.

“Come now, let us join the others.”

Princess Luna and Rarity quickened their pace to catch up with the others as they traveled to Ponyville. All were contemplatively silent on the way home.