• Published 7th Jan 2014
  • 444 Views, 7 Comments

Equestria in Ruins - Eclipse Shine



The destruction has already been dealt but is it possible to reverse what has been done? Eclipse Shine and her friends set off on a journey never attempted before to finally restore peace in Equestria.

  • ...
3
 7
 444

Chapter 12: Long Road to Ruin

Shining Armor made preparations for our departure. The road to the ruins of the Crystal Empire would be long and treacherous since the kingdom is located in the Arctic North. It would take a couple of days to traverse the Arctic but we must leave now, ready or not. It was always better to leave at dawn since we would be able to seek shelter before the eventual nightfall.

Like every other usual day in the castle that was much too large for those whom inhabited it, we ate breakfast with the Celestial Gods themselves. The light shone through the marvelous stained glass windows onto the long table fit for knights; shedding new light upon the days to come.

We knew what awaited us on the other side and we were prepared to face it with all our might. Whatever it takes, Equestria must have its salvation.

~

We had packed all the necessities in large saddle bags, making sure they weren’t too heavy for travel. We wouldn’t be able to take the carriage along for the ride since we would be practically dragging it through miles up deep snow. We would have to be alone this time, just the five us and whatever courage we could build up to face what comes our way.

Coats and saddle bags equipped, we trotted towards the north where we would seek to find the corrupted Princess of the Sun to change her back to her normal form.

~

The Sun shone its last rays upon the frozen land, blinding us as it reflected off of the snow which was a white as the celestial object itself. The only reason we see the Sun as being yellow/orange ball of fire is because of our atmosphere; when in reality our sun is as white as the stars and Moon that light the sky at nightfall. It’s fascinating how things are never quite what they seem to be. Celestia was right when she approached me last night, it’s not always sufficient to look at things from the surface.

As nightfall approached, we would need to seek shelter from the Arctic’s plummeting temperatures. Even in mid-summer, this land of snow and sorrow was still cursed with its nearly uninhabitable coolness that threatened us with taking our lives. Death can manifest itself in many different ways; whether it’s a corrupted King, Tymberwolves, a gang of street colts or hypothermia in our case. Death is unpredictable as life; you never know when the reaper pony will come beating at your door.

I was shivering from the temperature that had already started to plummet even after putting on several layers of thermal clothing. I could see a cabin in the distance, a light shone from it as it guided me like a star towards my destination.

We had all seen the cabin and were all heading in its direction as it lured us towards a promise of warmth. The closer we got; the warmer we felt until we finally made it to the steps of the welcoming building.

Knocking on the door, we saw yet another light illuminate the doorway as somepony opened the door. A grey pony greeted us, instantly recognizing Shining Armor. Her coat turning back to its original purple colour, she smiled, letting us into her home.

~

The mysterious pony explained that she had in fact been a citizen of the Crystal Empire but left when the crime got too intense in the homeland she grew up in. Even though the shack she currently lived in wasn’t anything to take pride in, it was better to her than living in the anarchic empire that had just commenced its descent into havoc.

She was glad to have guests, a rare opportunity for somepony that lived in the middle of nowhere. She seemed to be even more enthusiastic that one of her guests was an old leader that had tried so hard to rebuild his fallen empire. She respected his decision to leave and put no blame on him for the final outcome that was inevitable.

We spent the night explaining to her our journey and what it meant for Equestria; in return she offered us any help we could possibly need along the way.

“You know, I think what you’re trying to accomplish is sweet.” She started. “Equestria needs hope right now when the hour is at its darkest. It’s ‘bout time somepony stepped up to take the lead. I sure as hay hope to see Equestria rise once again in my lifetime.”

Accidentally giving off her age, she smirked. “Ah am sorry, I haven’t told you ma name yet; I’m Silver Lilac”

“It’s great to meet you Silver Lilac, as you know, I’m Shining Armor. This here is Scootaloo, Unity, Starshard and Eclipse Shine.” Shining Armor proceeded to introduce us all individually by pointing with his hoof. “We’re very thankful for letting us stay the night, Miss Lilac; we promise to be out of your mane by morning.”

“It’s no problem, y’all can stay as long as you like, although I do know you have an important task at hoof that needs to be accomplished as soon as possible. Ah did say I wanted to see change in ma lifetime!” Silver Lilac chuckled and proceeded to drink her tea.

~

We all went to bed early that night, to my surprise, sleep came easily to me. The cabin only had three rooms to sleep in; one for Silver Lilac, one for Shining Armor and Scootaloo and one for me along with Starshard and Unity.

No dreams came to me that night, only the comfort of darkness embracing me in my sleep. Unity had the tendency of making everypony she slept beside feel at ease which was a wonderful thing since we desperately needed our rest.

~

Morning was quick with its arrival, blinding us as we rose from our beds. Eyes squinted and hair tangled, we each awaited our turn to take a much needed shower.

After eating breakfast and getting prepared for the cold day ahead, we had no idea what to expect but we were prepared to face whatever would cross our path. Dawn promised hope but that hope was evenly matched by danger; it wouldn’t be long before we reached our final destination.

We marched for several hours in the snow covered land, searching for the empire that once stood tall; reaching for the heavens above.

There it was before us, the shattered remains of the empire that once housed the liveliest of ponies. It was now a ghost town covered by layers upon layers of accumulated snowfall that barely masked the dark crystals that threatened the heavens themselves; a promise to drag down whatever God from its throne and feast upon its divinity. It wasn’t hard to believe that this wasteland had been abandoned; it was almost as if it was wiped off the face of the planet once again by the very forces that corrupted it the first time around. Yet there it stood before us, whatever was left of it, slowly dying in its own sorrow.

The Crystal Empire stood frozen in time, trapped within its own artificial snow globe.