• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 269 Views, 0 Comments

Project Haven: The snow - Jakomi of the Rose



Princess Celestias troop may be the best. But the cold hides the worst of enemies.

  • ...
 0
 269

Chapter 5: Progress

Inferno’s horn lit up as the objects on his side and the other soldiers’ backs. The other ponies in the room looked at the newly added material. Some with wonder, some with less enthusiasm than a filly getting pampered by their mother in front of their friends. One in particular, an older unicorn stallion with grey fur and bronze mane and tail, looked more annoyed after every item placed on the table. His hexagonal glasses perched on his muzzle threatened to fall to the floor at any time with each frown he produced. He gave an angry sigh when one of the boxes tested the stability of the table.

“If you’re quite done with this garage-sale-setup I’d be glad if you could leave everything on the ground and let us do our job?” He said with a deadpan tone.

The sound of metal crashing to the ground was the only thing he needed to grind his teeth in agitation. Turning around, he saw that the guards had basically tossed the rest of the objects on the floor and then walked out without any care.

“Be careful, won’t you!” he yelled after them, getting an indifferent wave of a hoof in return.

Sighing through his nose, almost sounding like a growl, he turned to the first thing that caught his eyes: The advanced sheath. Turning to one of his assistants, a younger colt with jet black mane and tail and a very pale grey coat, who immediately grabbed a clipboard and a feather and inkwell. Along with them were several mares, all which started researching the contents of the boxes.

Fixing his glasses and his sapphire eyes focused on the sword in front of him, he started to light his horn. The sword was covered in a turquoise light and lifted off the table. Taking a deep breath and a thin smile adorned his muzzle as he looked over the sheathed sword.

“Appears to be made of a sturdy material. A hint of energy can be sensed from the hilt.” He spoke softly when turning it around in the air. His assistant scribbled it down.

He focused his magic on the hilt in attempt to draw the sword. It clicked and clattered as he pushed himself to pull it. Contrary to what many thought; he was far from an inexperienced unicorn. Graduating from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns as a 7th best student, he was far from weak. The problem lied in the weapon itself. Frowning a little until the sword was unsheathed; he gave a satisfied sigh when the sword now levitated in front of them.

They regarded it for a long while, maybe out of fascination, maybe some small foal-like excitement to see a new weapon, they looked at it. It strongly reminded them of a griffon scimitar but very light, very thin and very sharp. The hilt itself was woven in threads to improve handle and the coloring was alluring in some sense. What surprised him was a button near the rounded collar, located just underneath. While the swords carried by the guards were double-bladed; this was one-sided, only meant to hit and ensure instant death.

Curiosity getting the better of him, he pressed the button and instantly the blade shifted: The ridge separated the blade from the blade from the groove and started to glow silver that gave of a low hum. The effect startled him and his assistant. He studied the blade closely and smiled all the while. The separated parts were not major; only an inch but the power radiating from it was very noticeable.

Pressing the same button again restored it to its former appearance. Focusing his magic to the lower part of the hilt he noticed it was detachable. Focusing his magic once again he tried to pull it apart only for it to resist. Screwing didn’t help either. On the fourth try his patience began to run thin… only for his assistance to push a small button and finally extracting the hilts interior. He gave his mentor a slight grin that instantly died when said mentor gave him a death glare.

Clearing his throat, he lit his horn to lift the component out of the hilt and examine it. When his magic fully enveloped the component however, it dispelled it and sent a shock to his horn, causing him to grunt and shut his eyes in pain. Alarmed, his team-mates trotted to his side but he waved them off and focused on the now fully exposed component. It was clad in metal and showed of a cut glowing rock. The rock in question drew his interest.

Grabbing a tong with his magic he took it in for a closer look, avoiding proximity with his horn. It radiated a strong aura and he showed a grin at the recognition of the rock.

“Sir, is that… a mana-rock?” his assistant asked hesitantly.

The unicorn nodded slowly, his attention now fully on the metal-trapped rock. Carefully placing it on the table he wrote down on the parchment closest to him.

The creatures closely resembling smaller dragons have an ability to use mana-rocks as a resource in enhancing their weaponry, making it sharper and, possibly, faster in combat. Mana-rocks, while very rare outside of Equestria, are raw mineral used to help unicorns with their magic in day-to-day or in combat. When in close proximity the rocks can either harm or increase magical properties of magical beings. Dragons are known to eat them to become immune to magic. These dragons seem to use…

He turned to one of the mares levitating a pair of metal greaves and looking over them with deep interest.

… Armor to protect themselves. Could it be that these creatures are weaker than their Equestrian kin? Did they need weapons to protect themselves since they can’t breathe fire?

Just then a rapid ‘rat-tat-tat’ was heard followed by a lout yelp and then the sound of metallic clatter from the other side of the room, drawing all noise to complete silence. All eyes were now on a cobalt and red unicorn mare who was pressing herself against the far wall, almost hyperventilating. She looked to her members and blushed. The stallion sighed.

Need to investigate further with their projectile weaponry. Before somepony gets themselves shot.


Little known to the chief of research; One particular weapon was missing from the pile presented. A weapon two unicorn stallions, a scientist and a soldier, was tinkering with a peculiar miniature cannon almost twice their length. The soldier lit his horn to try and get the cannon to stay steady and looking through the lens… with slight difficulty.

“Why did they have one binocular?” The soldier asked while looking at the bottles lined up on the table on distance.

The researcher shrugged and secured a pair of goggles onto his muzzle.

“Maybe they had only one good eye or simplicity’s sake. How do you fire it anyway?” The researcher looked over the cannon while simultaneously levitating a quill and parchment for writing. After some looking he gave a smile when he noticed something small underneath the gun. “Hey, there is a small lever here!” He pointed his hoof to the small protrusion just underneath the holster.

The guard looked over the weapon until his eyes fell on the tiny lever just next to his hoof. This was faced with one tiny dilemma:

“How do I pull it?” The guard asked with his eyebrow raised.

The researcher stuck out his tongue in thought until a thought hit him.

“Use your magic! Can’t be that hard.” He noted and puffed out his chest in pride.

The guard just nodded, hoisted it up so that it was snug against his chest plate and focused his magic on the small lever. He felt it struggle but a smile was spreading when he felt quiver. It was going to give.

***

The entire base was filled with the resounding *BANG!* followed by a metallic clanking of armor and then followed by a stallion sent flying through the base until he came to a stop. He got up and looked with wide eyes at the room he came from. His chest plate had a dent the size of half an apple bucket. He stood on shaky legs and looked around at the ponies that had stopped and staring at him with various expressions. Some with concern, some with shock but the majority looked at him with annoyance.

He waved a fore hoof at them with a wide smile.

“I’m okay!” he declared almost victoriously.

There were murmurs of groaning while they got back to work. One of them was Icy who had stepped out of the room to find out the cause of disruption. Seeing the wobbling stallion remove his chest plate and rub a sore spot on his barrel made him shake his head and groan with irritation.

“Idiot…” he stated simply and walked back into the communication-room.

Author's Note:

This was oddly short but with everything going on I'd have little energy and imagination to continue. Wont be the norm... I hope. But the armor in question is actually inspired by the Kestrel armor and N7 Armor from Mass Effect 2-3. If you think this story is slow then tell me how to make it better.