• Published 3rd Feb 2015
  • 5,602 Views, 348 Comments

MLDC: Firestorm Crisis - Michael_Ravencroft



Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, total opposites, the bad girl, and the studious girl. But one fateful night will change everything for them, and quite possiblly the world.

  • ...
20
 348
 5,602

Chapters Next
Entry 0: If at first you don't succeed...

Test tubes and beakers filled with unknown concoctions, supercomputers calculating a near infinite amount formulas, diagrams and notes scattered about a metal work desk, of this was just par for the course when one was a scientist. Within the state-of-the-art lab, one man by the name of Bill Neigh toils away to unlock the secrets of the universe, as a scientist, he believed his duty was to help mankind achieve greater heights of not only technology, but also understanding. To that end he poured his life into his research, gaining grants left and right, achieving Nobel prizes for what he dubbed “minor” innovations and discoveries. They would all pale in comparison to his real work. But…like all great works for the betterment of mankind, there was always someone willing to turn that hope, indeed the possible salvation of all, into a weapon of death and damnation.

Take now for example, being held against his well in a laboratory that was the envy of every physicist on the planet, equipped with tech and various other knickknacks that could make any scientist’s day at the lab heaven. But it was all for one purpose, to create human weapons, beings that were near that of a god. Of course, Professor Neigh knew of the dangers of his project, and what it was capable of, but really, every new discovery was a double-edged sword. But these fools actually wanted him to mesh it with a human body.

Fools, he thought, the lot of them.

Such power could not be held by one human being, but he had no choice. The “Organization” wanted a super weapon, one that rendered all military weaponry, even possible otherworldly powers, useless. He never understood why they had mentioned that portion specifically. To Professor Neigh, it seemed these people were fighting a war, but it didn’t appear to be war fought on only just one front, if he had to wager, they were possibly cells, communicating with others and from what the Professor was able to gather, these guys were up and running.

Something must’ve happened to one of their other cells, making this one in particular pick up the slack, he hypothesized.

Professor Neigh was allowed very few privileges, they fed him well, allowed him sleep although the good doctor hardly did much of that. But recently they’ve wanted more results, probably because they as a cell have been activated. They’ve been rushing human trials, forcing him to conduct experiments on human test subjects, all in order to finish his work. They could never understand.

How could they…They’re only concern is power, not knowledge or understanding, without those, power is just meaningless, nothing but pure destruction. Only one person understood…only one…

Professor Neigh remembered back long ago, meeting a young girl no more than six years of age, and yet she possessed an intellect that was so pure and innocent, he hardly believed she was just a girl. She was only interested in the benefits of what science could do for others, though she was a bit of a shy thing.

If there was anyone at all that could understand what my work is truly meant to do, it’s her…

“Professor Neigh.”

The lights in the lab flicked on, dousing the area in illumination. Professor Bill Neigh stood at his work desk in his dark tan sweater vest overlapping his white shirt and brown tie, a pair of large framed, brown colored glasses resting on his nose. His white hair was disheveled, which was the case most of the time. His light-gray skin did little to hide the bags under his azure eyes, showing just how much sleep he had lost over the course of his work.

The man who addressed him stepped forward, he was a youngster compared to the forty-year-old, couldn’t be more than twenty-three, twenty-four tops. His uniform was all black, except for the white gloves that covered his hands. He carried himself with great authority and decor, his violet eyes gazing over the messy lab. The light caught his smooth purple skin, and his well-groomed violet hair, with a pink and purple streak going through it. Indeed, this was the fabled “pretty boy” of every girls dream, at least that what it was back in Professor Neigh’s high school days.

Flanking him were three of his personal protection detail, they were women, of that much he was certain of. They were smaller than him, and the pretty boy was certainly tall, coming up to just below his shoulders. They worse hoodies of all things, keeping their faces away from the light so that the shadows concealed their identities. They wore no signs of ranking, but during Professor Neigh’s time in this place, he was certain they had a high rank, probably to the point that just seeing them was enough of a validation.

“Commander Shine,” greeted Professor Neigh.

“Professor, I told you, when it’s just us in the lab, you can call me Dusk.”

“Well Commander to what do I owe the pleasure of your company this fine day?”

“It’s actually night time.” Dusk Shine corrected.

“Oh, really wouldn’t know, since I never see the outside anyway,” he retorted.

One of the girls looked as if she were about to go and strike the Professor, but the girl in the middle raised her hand in front of the other, a simple command gesture to halt the other’s aggression. The girl stopped and let out a huff as she crossed her arms in front of her. The middle one kept both hands on her hips, while the left one just kept her hands behind her back, tilting her head back and forth as she listened to Dusk Shine and the Professor.

“Yes well, were I to give you that privilege would you even step foot away from your work?” Dusk Shine queried.

Professor Neigh rolled his eyes in annoyance, knowing the answer. “Not really, no.”

“Well, if you ever want to, I could always arrange for an escort to bring you out and get some fresh air. Lord knows your brain cells might benefit from some.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Whether he knew it or not, Dusk Shine was giving the Professor good Intel about his prison, little by little he would get small tidbits of information like this, like a jigsaw puzzle. “So again, why have you come here?”

“We have another suitable candidate for trails, all we need is you and your work to start.”

Professor Neigh snorted and walked over to the vault near the back. Dusk Shine and his protection detail followed the professor and watched as he punched in the code to open the large steel door that kept his works safe. A light shone from inside as cold air whooshed through the room. Dozens upon dozens of large, five foot long by three feet wide capsules lined up the shelves within the vault. Inside the glass and metal container was a swirling ball of fiery light, almost as if the sun itself had been captured and stored within it. Professor Neigh took one of the capsules and left the vault as it automatically closed behind him.

Dusk Shine led the professor to their usual testing facility. It was just a quick elevator ride up some stories. Professor Neigh already guessed long ago that they were underground somewhere, but whenever they brought him to the testing facility up top, it was always different. One time was in a mountainous region, another time was in the desert, the time after that an island in the middle of nowhere, and so on and so on. All of them were remote locations, and for good reason too.

Professor Neigh, Dusk Shine, and the three girls arrived in the control room. Various other scientists were there as well, but they were all working for the Organization, not forced to like he was. Dusk Shine took the capsule from the professor and gave to one the other scientists. Once in hand, he placed it in a tube that closed and shot the capsule through a long tube, like the drive-thru of a bank. There was a glass window that gave everybody a good view of the outside, up above it were monitors that had cameras trained on the test subject. It was a man, fairly muscular, he didn’t seem at all afraid of what was going to happen to him.

How could he, I doubt they even told him the risks. Professor Neigh glanced to Dusk Shine. That boy is dangerously smart and manipulative, I doubt there isn’t a poor sap he couldn’t doop.

Professor Neigh briefly wondered if that’s how he got these three young ladies to follow him. Although, having them as bodyguards was something else. If they were deadly and strong enough to protect him, then it only meant he was even more dangerous. From the window, all they saw was nothing. But on the monitors they watched as the capsule arrived to the test subject.

“Vitals?” Professor Neigh asked.

“Normal BP.”

“Heart rate is steady.

“All nano-doctors show no change in the subject’s metabolism.”

“All organ functions are nominal.”

“We’re ready to commence the test.”

Neigh gave a reluctant sigh. “Give the test subject the go ahead.”

On the monitors, the red light on the pole changed to green, indicating that it was time. The man held the capsule tight as he spoke aloud the word.

FIRESTORM!!!

The capsule broke and the small sun expanded, engulfing the man. A bright light was emitted from the release of the power, at the center of it all, the man stood strong, roaring out as his body was infused with the power of a blazing sun. Inside the control room, the other doctors were recording the data of what kind of changes were occurring to the man as the power was absorbed into his body. After about thirty seconds the light dissipated, and what stood was not man, but something else.

His body had crimson red armor on, but instead of a flesh and blood body, it appeared as if the flames had woven themselves together to form a body for him. The man’s skin replaced with plasma fire, his eyes blazed red as his head had flames lapping off it. He was surprised at first, but with the surge of power coursing through him, he was more excited than scared really.

“Report,” ordered Dusk Shine.

“Energy levels are holding at 100.05%.”

“Molecular stability is confirmed.”

“Radiation emission is zero.”

“All subject vitals and condition is green, no abnormalities.”

“Except the turning into a walking fireball, but, you know, that’s normal.” Professor Neigh joked sarcastically.

“Think of it as the next step in human evolution Professor,” said Dusk Shine. “And be happy, you’ve finally –”

*BEEP*

*BEEP*

*BEEP*

“What is going one?!” Dusk Shine demanded.

“Sir, energy levels are building! Two-hundred, two-fifty, five-eighty, 1,000 and still going!”

“Vitals are erratic! BP is spiking! Heart rate elevated!”

On the monitors the man was holding his head as he screamed at the top his lungs, the plasmatic flames of his body lashed out in every direction, scorching the ground around him. The man flailed his arms out and fell to the ground, rolling around and continuing to scream. His body glowed brighter and brighter, his red eyes shining brilliantly at the same time. Beneath him, the ground was turning into molten rock, literally burning a hole in the earth.

“Radiation levels are at critical!”

“RAISE THE BLAST SHIELDS!” Dusk Shine shouted.

Thick titanium barriers slammed down over the viewing glass, their only means of seeing what was happening was the monitors and they weren’t going to last much longer.

“Oh my god! 9,000 and still rising! He’s going into meltdown!”

At that moment a powerful white light shined from the monitors and then static. There was an eerie quiet that settled over everything, but that was not to last. A powerful “BOOM” roared out in every direction, the shockwave from the explosion rattled the observation bunker, making everyone inside hang on for dear life. The rumbling of the ground and roaring of the explosion seemed to go on forever, but after a minute or two, it all subsided. Dusk Shine had fallen to the ground and was given a hand up by his subordinates. Once back on his feet, he dusted himself off and looked to the doctors.

“Status report.”

“Vitals are all flat lined.”

“Energy levels zero.”

“Radiation fallout is high, but containable sir.”

“Firestorm Protocol #561 is a failure, sir.”

“No, there are no ‘failures’ we just learned how to not repeat ourselves next time. Remember, failures can teach us ways to avoid worse ones down the road and bring us closer to a success. Now run the data and send it to Professor Neigh’s station.”

The other doctors nodded and went to work.

“Funny, with your higher ups wanting this project done quickly, you don’t seem to be bothered by things like this,” said Professor Neigh.

“Well, any true artisan knows it takes patience and work to take inspiration and turn it into reality. Some of my ‘higher ups’ don’t have much patience I’m afraid.” Dusk Shine raised his right hand and stared at it intensely as he made a fist. “But those fools have all the time in world…as where I…” The young man unclenched his fist and looked directly at Professor Neigh. “It’s as the old saying goes Professor Neigh, ‘If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again’.”

Author's Note:

The battle of nuclear might commences...

Chapters Next