• Published 3rd Dec 2013
  • 938 Views, 11 Comments

The History of the Alicorn Amulet - Old Ben Kenobi



Ever wondered about this amulet's backstory?

  • ...
0
 11
 938

Chapter 9- To Neighagra Falls

The early morning light crept over the fields of grassland. There were a few bushes dotted across the landscape, and some birds erupted, tweeting out of the foliage. A white hoof trod forward onto the ground. A hoof belonging to Starswirl the Bearded.
"Moonswift," He yelled to a pink figure far ahead of him "Have you seen anything? Are we near the river?"
"Yes," a mare's voice yelled back. "But there is no way to cross."
Darn, thought Starswirl, another river I can't cross.
"Okay," he called back "Wait by the river until I get there."
He watched the pink figure turn around and gallop away over the horizon. Starswirl reached the river, passing a small copse on his way there. Starswirl stared up at the great Foal Mountain on the other side. This was the mountain range that acted as a barrier between the North and South divides of the newly founded region of Equestria.
"Well," he said to Moonswift "We have to try to get across this river somehow."
"Starswirl," Moonswift ventured "Could you tell me, um, where we are going? I mean, you only said you couldn't tell me what we are looking for, but could you at least tell me where we are heading?"
Starswirl scowled.
"I will not tell you my final goal until you have earned my trust. Let us not forget, you kidnapped me and nearly drowned me. For now, we are heading towards Neighagra Falls, but we have to find a way to get across the river, first."
Moonswift nodded as Starswirl turned to her.
"Moonswift," he said " You're an expert on rivers. Is there any way to traverse this?"
Moonswift trotted forward and dipped her hoof into the flowing water. She retracted it almost immediately.
" The river feels...different," She said to Starswirl at last. " I think my connection to the water may be wearing off, but I can tell that there are powerful underwater currents. There is certainly no way for us to swim across."
"Blast it!" grumbled Starswirl. "Another river I have to cross!"
"There's one thing I don't understand," Said Moonswift . "I've heard tales of unicorns taking themselves and others miles through teleportation. Why can't we just teleport to the other side?"
"That is not a safe method of using magic at all!" replied Starswirl. "Firstly, it takes an immense amount of concentration.
It would take me days of meditation to muster up enough magical energy to transport me even a tenth of a kilometre. There are rumours of ponies who are able to teleport a long distance under significant threat, for instance, if their life is in peril. However, it's not at all recommended, since you can't get the destination right. If I were to try to teleport across this river, there's no guarantee I won't teleport directly into the river, which would not end well for me. No, we cannot try to teleport to the other side."
"I migh' be able to help you with that," said a gruff voice emanating from a tree.
Starswirl and Moonswift jumped, to notice a thin, brown Earth Pony lying against a tree in the copse. He was chewing on a strand of hay and wore a brown Stetson over his eyes. His cutie mark took the form of a raft among blue waves.
Fast as lightning, Starswirl brandished his Staff and pointed it at the strange pony.
"Who are you and where did you come from?" Starswirl snarled gruffly.
"'I've been here all the time , friend," he said calmly " Not my faul' you didn't notice me,"
"How did you do that?" Asked Moonswift curiously, "I scouted the area and found no trace of anypony here."
The mysterious pony smiled.
"If I want to remain unnoticed, I have my ways," was all he said.
"You still haven't answered my question," Said Starswirl "Who are you?"
" Oh, I have many names," said the Stallion cryptically, "But you may refer to me as Bragoon."
"Very well," said Starswirl, lowering his Staff, " Now, how can we get across?"
"That depends," he said "Where are you headed,"
"At the moment,"replied Starswirl " We are headed towards Neighagra Falls. Can you take us there, or not?"
"Neighagra Falls?" Said Bragoon in surprise ""Now why would two travellers such as yourself want to travel to there?"
"Does it matter?" Groweled Starswirl, "Can you take us there or can't you?"
"Well," Said Bragoon uncomfortably "I could, yes, but are you sure you want to go? There are tales of a cave there...ponies go in, and never come out..."
"I have no use for old pony tales," muttered Starswirl, "Now, how much?"
"Hmmm," said Bragoon, "I suppose I could...for 8 guinea bits."
"8 guineas?!" Exclaimed Starswirl "We could buy our own boat for that!"
Bragoon grinned.
"From where? There's few in these parts who'd be willin' to rent a boat, let alone sell them."
Starswirl muttered something under his breath, but he knew Bragoon was right. These parts were not known very well at all, and Starswirl was frankly impressed that anypony should choose to settle here at all. Which brought up another question.
"Bragoon," he said "Why do you choose to live here? Why do you not live in the settlements to the east?"
Bragoon chuckled.
"My family have lived in the wilds for as long as we can remember. We have all made our livings from whatever our special talent is; farming, trading and now ferrying," he added with a touch of pride, "We have never had any reason to move to the east when we can make our lives out here,"
"Hmm, well," said Starswirl gruffly, "We're in a bit of a hurry, so" Starswirl summoned his travelling Staff and equipment " I'll give you the money now and we'll be on our way."
Starswirl handed over the 8 guineas, and Bragoon grinned.
"That's perfect," he said " Now, let's go!
The Earth pony whistled, and a raft floated into view from the other side of the bank and stopped in front of Moonswift's hooves. Bragoon, Starswirl and Moonswift jumped on board and the raft, seemingly of its own will, glided into the west of the river.

Author's Note:

Yay! I now have an ipad, so I can update this more often now. As ususl, any comment in the comment section is the best thing thing you can do; I genuinely appreciate every like, favourite, watch and especially comment! :twilightsmile: