• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 1,324 Views, 50 Comments

Generosity Games - Talon and Thorn



Fluttershy and Rarity are both known for their charitable work. When a charity ball is held near the town tensions run high as they compete to obtain a donation from Prince Blueblood. Part of the Cadenceverse.

  • ...
3
 50
 1,324

Chapter 1 - Fluttershy's Secret Shame

Angel awoke, yawned and scratched. He looked around the room, the sun was not yet out but already the light of his life had arisen. The butter yellow mare that he adored above all others was already awake and was preparing for the day ahead. She was no stranger to early starts but this was extreme even for her. It must be one of those days again, he thought hopping out of his basket, which was pressed against the foot of his mistress’s bed. A quick glance up at the calendar confirmed his suspicions, he did not fully understand the device, but he knew what when the crosses stopped just before the faint pink circle that meant that Fluttershy would get up early, disappear for the morning and come back smelling strangely.

As her number one assistant it was Angel’s job to ensure that everything was ready for her to leave and that nothing went wrong while she was away. It was a heavy burden but one he accepted gladly. Without a further thought of himself Angel pushed open the door and started to hop downstairs to awake the house’s other occupants.

Fluttershy finished her quick shower and looked at herself in the mirror. She sighed at what she saw, her mane was looking limp and lifeless and she noticed that her rear left hoof was badly chipped. She stretched her wings out and examined the disordered feathers, she really did look a state, still today was the day. She always felt better after her special sessions. Then kicked her self internally, she was being selfish again just thinking of herself. She wished that she could stop being so vain, spending a whole morning each week on her own pleasure. Why couldn’t she be more like her father? She was the worst pony ever! Still it did feel good, and just a little naughty!

Sighing again at her behaviour Fluttershy left her bathroom and walked downstairs. To her surprise most of her animals were already awake and lined up ready to be fed. Walking up and down the line like a drill instructor was Angel Bunny.

“Oh, did you arrange all this Angel?” she asked, “Thank you.” She gave the rabbit a pat on the head and he practically glowed at the attention.

Thanks to this organisation it took Fluttershy less than an hour to arrange the feeding of all of her friends and to check on the few patients she currently had in her care.

“Now I have to go out early to do some... things,” Fluttershy stated nervously trying not to meet the gaze of Angel and her other helper animals, “I should be back in a few hours.” She sweated nervously, she hated lying to her friends in this way but she just couldn’t bring herself to tell them what she would be doing.

Her pets were all familiar with her behaviour by now and most only huffed, barked, mewed or tweeted a farewell to her before going back to whatever they were doing. Angel embraced one of her hooves and gently led her to the door, he know that sometimes she’d delay leaving so long that she’d have to gallop to where ever it was she went. Where ever it was she normally came back much more relaxed and in a good mood often skipping or singing. Fluttershy gave him a final pat and a scratch behind the ears, which caused his leg to twitch, before she left the house.


Outside the sun was only just rising, the faint sound of music seemed to be carried on the breeze from Ponyville. Spring was well underway and if she hadn’t been so nervous she would have enjoyed the walk into town. She tried to walk casually before ducking down next to a tree stump at the edge of her property. Looking around to make sure no animals were present she scratched at the ground near the base and uncovered a bag containing a pair of glasses with a moustache attached. Making sure her disguise was firmly affixed to her face she started on her way again.

She was about half the way to town before she heard the swish of wings coming the other way. She dashed off the path and swooped up into a tree ignoring the branches poking her. She peered out of her hiding place and saw Ditzy Doo the local mailmare gently drifting through the air towards her, she was whistling rather off key while flipping through a magazine containing colourful pictures of the Wonderbolts. Fluttershy waited several minutes after the grey pegasus had passed before coming out of hiding, her tail and mane covered in twigs and leaves. Looking around cautiously to see if anypony else was passing she started to scamper towards Ponyville.


By the time Fluttershy got into town it was just starting to come to life for the morning. Early rising ponies were already up and about. Fluttershy tried to avoid being noticed by dashing from house to house. She was almost within sight of her goal when three mares turned a corner in front of her. Two of them, both pink, one with a blond mane the other green were deep in conversation, the third with a white coat and a pink and red mane was wandering behind looking board, she looked up and mumbled a greeting.

Instinctively Fluttershy replied although she had the presence of mind to try and disguise her voice making it as deep as possible.

Blinking and looking confused the mare stared at the disguised pony, “Fluttershy, is that you?” she asked.

Panicking Fluttershy said the first thing that came into her head, “No, I’m Rose.”

“You’re Rose?” said the pony looking even more confused, “Isn’t that who I am?”

“Errr, no I’m Rose I run a flower shop with my friends. I need to go now IthinkIleftthesunongottogo!” cried the panicked pegasus rushing away.

“If that was Rose. Who am I?” asked Rose with rising panic. “Who am I?!” she cried waving her hooves wildly.


Chest pumping Fluttershy glanced around the side of the building she was hiding behind, there didn’t seem to be any further ponies in her way. The shock of meeting Rose and her friends had left the pegasus drenched in sweat. She tried to calm herself; at least she had reached her objective now. She carefully removed her disguise before concealing it in a potted plant and tried to brush her mane over her eyes. She winced as her hoof caught in a tangle. She felt a wreck; maybe she’d treat herself to the full works this time. No, she shouldn’t! That could take hours and she had responsibilities, but she would feel so gooood after.

Still fighting with herself she brought a hoof up to the door and knocked three times. The door was quickly opened by a blue earth pony mare with a shiny pink mane, Lotus the co-owner of the establishment. “Ah, ‘Mz Doe’ ve have been expecting you, come in.” she announced cheerfully in accented Equestrian.

The waiting room beyond the door was furnished with several plush chairs and decorated with fragrant plants which spread their scent throughout the building. Lotus’s sister Aloe, a pink mare with a blue mane, was busy mopping up a puddle of water which had collected in one corner.

“I’m afraid we have a bit of a flooding problem at ze moment Mz Doe,” said Lotus sounding apologetic. “Much of our facilities are closed but we should be able to fit you in. I’m afraid you vill have to share with another customer. There vill be a discount though.” She smiled brightly.

“Oh dear,” muttered Fluttershy, “Who is the other customer?” Maybe it would be somepony she didn’t know. She didn’t want any of her friends to know her dark secret, that she visited the spa each week to use the sauna and get a massage or hooficure. She knew it was wrong to spend so much time and money on herself, a whole morning each week. She could spend that time helping other ponies, but being pampered just felt too good for her to resist.

Before the spa pony could reply a while unicorn entered the room her mane done up in a cloth, “Excuse me darling, do you have any more heated towels?” she asked before turning to Fluttershy.

Oh, no not her, thought Fluttershy, not Rarity!

“Fluttershy, darling, I didn’t know that you frequented this delightful establishment. You simply must join me.”

Giving a squeak of panic Fluttershy fled from the room, pausing only to grab her disguise as she went before leaping into the air and flying away towards the safety of her home.

“Was it something I said?” asked Rarity to the cloud of dust where once a pony had stood.

My little pony...

Ah ah ah...

(My Little Pony)

Friendship sounded so off-key to me.

(My Little Pony)

But now you're here, and now I see...

A loyal backing

Honest melodies!

Songs to share

With loving harmonies!

Joyous dance --

Such a lovely feat --

And magic makes the perfect beat!

You are my little ponies...

Friends make the best music of all!

Angel was just starting to settle down for a nap to make up for his early morning when he heard the door slam. He was instantly up and hopping towards the stairs, Fluttershy was not due back for several hours, who could it be?

To his surprise his owner had arrived back earlier and she was a mess; her mane was full of sticks and leaves and her coat was sweaty and dishevelled. Even worse she was clearly upset pacing backwards and forwards across the room, panting hard as if she had just run a marathon. Most of the other animals were keeping their distance from the distressed pegasus but without a further thought Angel rushed forwards to comfort her.

“Oh Angel,” exclaimed Fluttershy taking the rabbit into a deep hug, “It was awful, she was there and she almost found out my secret. If she knew she’d tell everypony, she’s such a gossip, and they’d all know what a horrible pony I am. Or worse she’d keep it to herself to use against me later like she has my other secret.”

The butter mare collapsed to the ground sobbing. Angel climbed on to her and started to gently pull the foliage from her mane straightening it as he went. He gestured to a family of otters that were looking on and indicated the bathroom to them. Their stared dumbly for a second he gestured again and they seemed to get the idea and scampered off.

Slowly Fluttershy started to calm down and her breathing returned to normal. Angel continued to stroke her hair. “Oh, I’m being such a silly pony aren't I?” she asked the room. “Rarity isn’t really a bad pony, it’s just that I was so looking forward to this morning and now it’s all ruined. I suppose I should get up and get to work, I’ve got such a lot to do today.” She got to her hooves but Angel scampered down and tugged at one of her forelegs. “What is it?” she asked following his guidance into her bathroom.

Inside the small tub had been filled with warm soapy water and it looked like half of her bubble bath supply had been used to produce a huge quantity of foam. As Fluttershy entered the otters were just turning off the water. “Oh, is this for me?” she asked, “Thank you, all of you, you shouldn't have.” She sighed as she started to step into the bath feeling the hot water work its magic on her tense muscles. Behind her Angel reached for the scrubbing brush, he wasn’t entirely sure what had upset his friend but he knew that it was his duty to make sure she felt better.


By the time that Fluttershy had emerged from her bath she felt much better. She quickly examined the few patients she was currently treating. Mr Mouse’s leg was healing nicely and she thought the cast could come off in a day or two. She wasn’t so happy about how the tortoise was looking though, he had not been eating well and his eyes were gummy. It was probably just a minor infection but she decided to keep a close watch on him for a few days, just in case.

Her job done for the moment she quickly tidied the house and went through some papers, mostly various requests from charities. She decided that today she would focus on the new Hoofington animal shelter. It had only been set up a few months ago and was already doing a good job caring for and housing the city’s significant stray population. Still such care didn’t come cheap and they were desperately short of funds. It had been a few weeks since she had did a local collection drive so she decided to walk into town to try and raise the needed bits. She picked out some jars of honey and homemade jam from her small garden as well as her collection jar and placed them on a tray before strapping it around her neck. Filled with renewed vigour the activist set out into the world to collect for a good cause.


Fluttershy decided to start her rounds close to her home and then work outwards. Given that her cottage was quite out of the way the nearest other house was in fact quite a distance but, Jack Lumber was the closest thing she had to a neighbour. In his youth Jack had been a wood cutter working at the Scratch clan lumber mill but that had been many years ago he had long since retired to a small house on the outskirts of Ponyville.

Fluttershy found Jack to be a rather prickly customer and she didn’t consider him a close friend but he had donated to some of her various causes in the past and he carved very lovely ornaments. In fact the borders of his property were marked out with various wooden animals which looked almost real. As Fluttershy approached she heard the old stallion singing, he sounded like he was in a good mood, maybe he would be extra generous today.

“Mornin’ neighbour,” called the red and black spotted earth pony stallion standing outside of his house.

“Good morning Mr Lumber,” said Fluttershy, “You sound happy.”

“Well oi’ve just ‘ad a visit from a beautiful young mare, well two now.” Fluttershy blushed at the complement. “She was very complimentary, she was, downright flirtatious.” He stretched and thrust out his chest, “Oh, I know she didn’t mean most of it, but at my age it feels good to think that the mares still want you. Still if oi were a few years younger,” he thought for a moment, “Oi’d probably still be older than her grandparents.” He sighed, “Still oi feel younger than oi ‘ave for a long time. She was collecting for an orphanage, she was, oi think she earned her donation. Still enough about me what brings you ‘ere?”

Fluttershy’s ears drooped at this news. “This mare, she wouldn’t happen to have a white coat and a purple mane would she?”

“Yes, real fancy like she was. Like she’d walked out of a magazine or something.”

“Rarity,” hissed Fluttershy.

“That was ‘er name. Oi’d say she lives up to it, you don’t see many like ‘er in these parts. So what can oi do for you?”

Fluttershy looked down at her tray of goods. Jack wasn’t the richest of ponies and if he’d already given his bits to Rarity it was unlikely he’d have anything left for her. It wouldn’t really be right to ask anything more of him. “I just wanted to say hi and see if you wanted anything from town,” she lied.

“That’s mighty kind of you, but oi’m fine for the moment.”

“Well I hope you have a good day,” said Fluttershy turning away from Jack and heading towards town looking a little disappointed.


The day continued to be disappointing for Fluttershy as she wandered from house to house trying to collect money for the animal shelter. Although many ponies seemed quite interested few would actually donate and only her friend Bluenote bought any of her goods, a jar of honey.

It was well into the afternoon when she decided to head out of the town itself and into the surrounding farms. There were fewer ponies out there but they did tend to value homemade food like her jams more.

She was walking up to the main gate to Sweet Apple Acres when she saw a sight which made her stare. Standing in the middle of the yard was a large red stallion, Big Mac. That in itself was not unusual, it was his property after all. What was usual was what he was wearing, a silken robe with patterns of flowers embroidered on it. He was slowly turning around, apparently trying to get a look at himself.

“Big Mac,” Fluttershy called a greeting.

The large stallion immediately looked up, then lowered his eyes looking rather nervous. He could be terribly shy sometimes. “Afternoon,” he muttered.

“Where did you get that robe?” she asked trotting over to him.

He looked at the garment rather self-consciously, “Rarity.”

Of course it would be Rarity, she thought.

“Umm, it looks very good on you, very exotic.”

“Eyup, exotic. From Neighpon.”

The mention of the country reminded Fluttershy that there had recently been some terrible storms there. The city of Yokohamare had been badly damaged and many had been left homeless, maybe she should have tried to collect for them instead, but the animals in Hoofington needed support as well. Oh, there were so many good causes, it was so hard to choose. She shook her head to try and clear it, “That must have been expensive.”

Despite his red coat Mac blushed, “For a good cause,” he said defensively, “An orphanage.”

Fluttershy bit her tongue, she was tired of hearing about Rarity’s orphanage. Then she felt terrible for thinking that. Of course the poor orphan’s needed help, but so did the animals and the Neighponees and so many others.

“I guess you don’t need any jams then?” she asked a little hopefully. The apples mostly made their own but she had some flavours they didn’t.

Mac seemed to sink a little into himself, “Nope, sorry.”

Trying to hide her disappointment Fluttershy smiled at the larger pony, “Well it’s been nice talking with you, but I better be on my way.”

“Bye,” rumbled Mac as she walked away.


Finally after several mostly fruitless hours Fluttershy found herself at Carrot Top’s small farm. In a way she had left the best for last, Carrot Top had always been very generous to her always happy to help in her various collections. The orange mare had a big heart and in a away Fluttershy felt a certain kinship with her, even if she didn’t agree with all of her farming methods. Fluttershy didn’t approve of the various chemicals and devices she used on her crops, although she had to agree that they worked so secretly thought of them as unnatural.

Fluttershy carefully stepped around the large hydroponics tank with its sun lamps that filled much of the yard and walked over to the geodesic dome shaped building that Carrot Top lived in. She didn’t have to look far to find the farmer fiddling with some exotic equipment on a workbench.

“Afternoon Fluttershy,” said Carrot Top lifting her goggles, which consisted of multiple lenses, off her eyes and blinking in the light.

“Good afternoon,” said Fluttershy, deciding to get straight to the point this time, “I’m collecting for the Hoofington animal shelter and I wondered if you’d like to donate, or maybe buy some jam or honey, all profits go to the poor animals.”

Carrot Top looked awkward, “I.. I.. don’t know,” she stuttered hopping from hoof to hoof, “I suppose I could buy some jam,” she picked up the smallest pot on the tray, “How much is this one?”

“That would be five bits. Are you feeling alright?” she asked, her friend seemed nervous for some reason.

The orange mare reached into her mane for her purse and started to rummage around in it. “Um, I’m a little short right now, how about I just donate a few bits?” she held out two coins.

“Are you sure that’s all you can afford? There are so many poor animals in Hoofington and they really need all the help they can get.”

“I’m sorry, I really am,” mumbled Carrot Top backing away.

“It’s Rarity isn’t it?” said Fluttershy advancing on the farmer, her temper starting to boil over, “She got here first didn’t she?”

“She told me all about the orphanage, how much they needed the money, how badly the foals need it. She asked what would become of Sweet Wheat if something happened to me and my parents. I had to give her what I could, I had to. I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” she started to cry.

“What about the poor animals?” cried Fluttershy stamping her hoof on the ground, “I’m sick of Rarity.” Then she realised what she had just said and brought her hoof to her mouth, what was she doing and saying? Of course the orphans needed help. Then she saw the crying mare in front of her and her heart broke. No matter the need she shouldn’t be forcing anypony, much less her friend, to give her money, this was unforgivable. “I’m sorry Carrot Top, I’m so sorry,” she sobbed, “I didn’t mean it, please forgive me, I’m sorry.”

“That’s alright,” said Carrot Top drying her eyes and giving a wonky smile, “We all get upset sometimes.”

“No, I shouldn’t have pressured you like that. Here take the jam,” she held out the jar.

“You don’t have to do that.”

“I insist, please, it will make me feel better.”

“Ok, but take the two bits.”

With some hesitation Fluttershy look the coins and placed them in her collecting jar. “Thank you.”

“I better get back to work,” Carrot Top gestured at the machinery she had been working on and folding on of the lenses in front of her face, hiding her look of pain.

“Yes, I should go. Sorry again,” mumbled Fluttershy again as she walked away from the farm in a daze.


Octavia was returning from a walk through the woods on the outskirts of Ponyville when she bumped into Fluttershy, literally. She had been working all morning on a new composition and she felt like her brain was tied up in knots. She had decided than a walk would help her mind relax and maybe help her creative process. It seemed to be working and she was just starting to visualise a new section of music when the yellow and pink pegasus had crashed into her.

Both mares had been knocked off of their hooves. While Octavia picked herself up her friend remained on the ground mumbling frantic apologies while surrounded by fallen, but luckily not broken, jars of jam.

“Fluttershy, are you alright?” asked the grey mare putting a hoof on her friend. The Pegasus seemed more upset than a mere bump would normally cause. “Has something happened?”

“Octavia?” said Fluttershy starting to stand brushing her mane from her eyes. “I’m sorry, I’ve been having a hard day. Oh, it’s all Rarity’s fault. But no that’s not right, I’ve been acting disgracefully, I’m such a bad pony.”

Octavia started to collect up her friends goods. It hurt her to see the pegasus so distressed, “Why don’t we go into town and get a drink? It’ll help calm your nerves and you can tell me what happened, maybe I can help?”

“That sounds nice, you’re such a good friend.”

Octavia felt a little glow of pride at this, she was still rather new at dealing with friends and it felt good to have somepony tell her she was doing things right.

The two of them walked into town in silence and stopped at a small cafe where Octavia ordered a pot of tea and two cups. They were quickly delivered and Octavia breathed in the smell of her drink. Fluttershy started to speak but her friend silenced her with an upheld hoof and indicated she should inhale the scent of the herbal concoction as well. Fluttershy did so and felt her tension start to slip away.

Octavia took a mouthful of her drink, “Now, tell me what has happened. What is this about Rarity? I don’t know her all that well but she’s always seemed a reasonable mare to me, somewhat melodramatic I suppose.”

“She seems to be everywhere I go today. I’ve been trying to raise money for the Hoofington animal shelter but she keeps getting to my donors first and getting them to give her money for her orphanage.”

“Her orphanage?”

“The Rosey Hearts Orphanage in Canterlot, she’s always been collecting money for it as long as I’ve known her. I’m sure it’s not nice to be an orphan but it’s in Canterlot, there are probably much worse places. I think she only supports it to attract the nobility.” Fluttershy flushed, “Oh that’s such a bad thing to say, the orphans still need help. Maybe I’m just jealous she’s so much better as collecting money than me, but she’s so manipulative. She used her,” she moved closer to Octavia and looked both ways before continuing, “Feminine wiles on my neighbour. I could never do that.”

Octavia almost snorted at this, she wasn’t an expert but she suspected that if Fluttershy actually tried she would find her ‘feminine wiles’ would be just as effective as Rarity’s, if not more so. She would have to spend hours each morning to get her mane to look half as good as the pegasus’s when she’d just gotten out of bed.

“Then she talked Big Mac into buying silk clothes,” continued Fluttershy. Unnoticed Octavia’s ears perked up in interest. “Silk’s very expensive, he probably can’t afford them, and she really scared Carrot Top with talk of what could happen to her sister if something happened to her parents. But I was even worse I scared her too, I was just so angry.” She looked down into her drink, “I don’t know what to do.”

Octavia considered for a moment taking another sip of her drink, “Have you tried to talk to Rarity about this? Maybe you could find out more about the orphanage or she could help you raise money for the animals?”

Fluttershy’s eyes opened wide in terror, “Oh no! No! I couldn’t talk to her, she knows what a bad pony I am.”

Sighing Octavia slid a hoof across the table and rested it upon Fluttershy’s, “Fluttershy, you are one of the nicest ponies I know, you are not ‘bad’.”

“Oh, you don’t know what I’ve done, but Rarity knows. Once..” Fluttershy pulled her hoof away from Octavia and looked down, “Once I did a really wicked selfish thing and she knows, she could tell everypony, everypony would hate me,” she looked up again, “You’d hate me.”

“I’d never hate you, no matter what you’d done. Are you telling me Rarity is blackmailing you? Has she threatened you?”

“No nothing like that, but she could if she wanted. I suppose I deserve it really I was so wicked, but it looked so nice.”

“What did?”

“Nothing,” mumbled Fluttershy clamming up

It looked like Octavia would not get anything further from Fluttershy so she considered ways to help her friend. “Look, shall I go talk to Rarity? I’m sure I can sort this all out.”

“Would you?” she looked hopeful.

“I’m your friend, of course I’ll help you. Now why don’t you just wait here and finish your drink,” she poured another cup of tea for her guest, “And I’ll go to talk to Rarity, her shop isn’t far. I’ll be back before you know it and I’m sure we can sort something out, it’s probably just a misunderstanding.”


The door to Carousel Boutique opened with a loud jangling sound.

“I’m sorry darling,” began Rarity, “But I was just about to shut for the day, can you..” she turned away from the rack of dresses in front of her to see her customer, “Oh, Lady Philharmonica. Please come in, how can I help you?”

Octavia sighed, she did not, and unless a horrible disaster wiped out most of her family or she married up, would not hold a noble title and thus should be addressed as Miss Philharmonica. She was fairly sure that Rarity was aware of this, however, the social climber seemed to have fixated on her as the closest thing to a true noble in the town and decided to treat her as if she was only a step or two down from Cadence herself.

“Would you care to peruse my humble offerings or would you like something specifically designed for you?” continued Rarity.

“I am afraid that I am not here to purchase anything Miss Rarity. I would like to talk to you on behalf of Fluttershy.”

“Fluttershy?” said Rarity somewhat bemused, “How is she? She rushed off in such a hurry this morning at the spa. Is she alright?”

“The spa?”

“Yes I was there this morning, just my regular little pick me up. It takes a lot of work to look this fabulous you know.” Rarity primped a bit. “Fluttershy was there but when I talked to her she just ran off.”

I knew it, thought Octavia, I know her mane couldn’t look that good naturally. She shook herself to bring her back to the matter at hoof. “She is fine but she is somewhat upset about some of the tactics you have been using to obtain donations for an orphanage.”

“Well the Rosey Hearts Orphanage is a good cause,” she picked up a brochure from a side table and held it open, is showed a number of foals of various ages playing in front of a colourfully painted if slightly dilapidated building. Octavia recognised the city scape of Canterlot behind it. “There’s always something more they need, renovations to the building, new toys and so on. I do what I can and try to encourage others to do the same.”

“Fluttershy seemed to think you might have been pressuring ponies into donating.”

“Pressuring? I wouldn’t say that, I’d just say that I’m a good salesmare. I’m good at giving the customer what they want. Take Mr Lumber, he gets lonely out there in the sticks, a little feminine company and he was more than happy to make a donation.”

Octavia blushed slightly.

“It’s not like that,” said Rarity haltilly, “I am a lady. Still I’m sure he was quite the figure of a stallion back in his day.”

“And what of Big Macintosh? Fluttershy thinks you might have forced him to buy something he didn’t want.”

“Darling, no one can get somepony to something they truly don’t want. But a good salesmare can give you all reasons you need to buy something you do want. Take this for instance,” the unicorn used her horn to float a long purple formal dress in front of Octavia, “This particular style is very popular right now. The cut is quite conservative but it is still rather flattering on the flanks. It’s made out of a Neighponees silk which I have heard a certain large red stallion is rather partial to and the colour matches your eyes. I only receive the cost of making it, the rest all goes to the orphans.”

Octavia admired the dress as it sparkled slightly in the light, it did look good. She probably could do with another dress to perform in at formal events or even one of the less formal dances at Sweet Apple Acres. All she had at the moment was her sari, if you had asked her a few minutes ago she would have been happy with it but now that she thought about it, it was a few years old. She peered at the tag, the price was a little steep but it was a good cause. She dragged her thoughts back to the matter at hoof, “You are indeed very good at that,” she agreed ruefully.

“It’s a gift.” Rarity beamed, “Now should I wrap this now?”

“No. Although I may be back for it later,” admitted Octavia, “But what about Carrot Top? Fluttershy led me to believe that she was quite upset.”

Rarity’s ears drooped, “I do fear I may have overdone it a tad there. I wouldn’t want anything to happen to her but I wanted her to realise that not all foals are as lucky as her or her sister. I will apologize when I next see her.”

“Fluttershy is also worried that your own fundraising efforts, no matter how well meaning, may be distracting from more important causes.”

“Oh, and what cause would it be this week?” asked Rarity somewhat snitily. “I think that Fluttershy could do a lot more good if she just picked a cause and saw it through to the end,” she sighed, “I don’t think many of her charities really see much benefit from the little time she gives them. That mare could change the world if she would just focus her efforts. Still as a favour to you I will stop my collecting around Ponyville for the moment. I shouldn’t need to, not with Count Glitter’s ball next week.”

“I wasn’t aware of a ball,” said Octavia.

“I’m surprised you haven’t heard of it in your social position. The Count is holding it to celebrate the completion of his new summer home, it’s only an hour or so from Ponyville you know. With the recent destruction caused by Nightmare Moon and Burning Sun he’s decided to make it a charity ball in aid of the reconstruction.” Rarity looked around conspiratorially, “And you’ll never guess who the guest of honour is... It’s Prince Blueblood!” She squealed a bit and did a little jig in excitement.

Octavia frowned a bit. She had not met the Prince in person but from what she remembered from her tutors he was the ruler of the small principality of Monacolt. It, along with many of the border provinces had seceded from Equestria during the turbulent period around the fall of the twin tyrants, however unlike most it had not re-joined with the rise of Cadence, although the two countries had been friendly for well over a century now. There had even been talk of reunification although it never gotten far. “I have heard he is a great philanthropist.”

“Oh yes, his country is very rich, mostly from its diamond mines and he’s very generous. I’m sure he could make it so the orphan’s never needed for anything again. Plus he’s a very eligible bachelor. I can just see it now, our eyes meet across the dance floor, we talk all night then when it’s all finished he takes me in his strong arms and throws me down in front of the fire and...” Rarity looked rather overheated. “Err... Anyway he could really help the orphans.”

“That does seem a good opportunity for you. How did you manage to get tickets? I imagine they must be in high demand.”

“Oh, I have my sources, maybe closer to you that you think,” said the white mare enigmatically.

“There is one more thing,” said Octavia refusing to be baited, “Fluttershy seems to think you have some form of blackmail material on her.”

“Beg pardon?” said Rarity in surprise, “Blackmail, Moi?”

Octavia tried to detect if there was any dishonesty on Rarity’s part but as far as she could tell the fashionista was as surprised as she appeared.

“I can’t think of anything I’ve seen Fluttershy do that could be used against her in that way. Not that I would do anything like that even if I could. Maybe she’s confused about something, she can be a little high strung.”

“You may be right,” agreed Octavia, “Well I’ll tell her about you not fundraising in Ponyville for a while, I’m sure she’ll be pleased.”

“That’s good and if you change your mind later the dress will still be here, for a while anyway. I can’t guarantee that another mare won’t see its appeal in the meantime. Of course it won’t suit them as much as you but it is first come first served.”

Gritting her teeth against reaching for the offered garment Octavia turned and walked from the shop.


Octavia returned to the cafe to find that Fluttershy had finished her tea and was waiting nervously for her return.

“Please don’t hate me,” whimpered Fluttershy, “I know what I did was unforgivable but...”

“Fluttershy, calm down. Rarity said she didn’t know anything about blackmail and to be honest I believe her.”

Fluttershy blinked several times, “Really? But.. How..”

“She also agreed to stop her fund raising activities in Ponyville for a while.”

“That’s... That’s very nice of her.” Fluttershy perked up, “So ponies should have money for the Hoofington shelter or the people of Yokohamare?”

“Yes. Rarity said she was going to go to a charity ball and try and attract Prince Blueblood to donate for the orphanage so she won’t need to canvas Ponyville,” said Octavia a little smugly. She was considering ordering another cup of tea, she seemed to have defused Fluttershy’s problems, she was getting better at this friendship thing.

Fluttershy seemed to consider this situation for a moment then crumpled, “Oh, but think of all the good I could do if I could go to the ball and meet Blueblood. I’m sure he could pay for a whole animal shelter by himself. But there’s no way I could get a ticket,” she began to sob.

Ok, thought Octavia, maybe this will be a bit more difficult that I thought it would be.

Author's Note:

This is the second story I've written for Grassandclouds2's Cadenceverse its set about a month after 'The Music of Ponyville'

Thanks to Grassandclouds2 for his suggestions in the making of this story.