• Published 23rd Nov 2013
  • 293 Views, 0 Comments

Thirty Minute Ponies - QuirkyQuills



Self-contained stories written for Thirty Minute Ponies on tumblr.

  • ...
 0
 293

Dream Sisters

The Prompt: Princess? What princess?

"Princess? What Princess?"

"Me. The Moon Princess."

"You know - the other one, the dark one."

"Oh. Huh, what’s it matter? That princess isn’t… what was her name, anyway?"

"Luna… please, you know us…."

"You know, Princess… er… ah, never mind. Celestia’s the only one that matters."

"Right. Never mind the other one."

"But I…."

"Who needs her?"

"Does she even have any friends?"

"I… I do!"

"No… who would be?"

"Don’t need her…."

"Don’t want her…."

"Don’t like her…."

"Please…! Do not forsake us…. me…."

Luna woke with a faint, choking sob, dark pelt and soft pillows damp with tears as she took a moment to reorient herself.

It was stupid. The dream was stupid. She had never been as alone and forgotten as she’d once convinced herself. Celestia loved her and had waited a thousand years for her.

Cadance loved her. Twilight Sparkle loved her.

Pip and Scootaloo loved her.

They have never liked us - and they never shall. And even Celestia has found new little princesses….

"Oh, do be quiet," she grumbled at her own thoughts as she got to her hooves.

This could be solved. There was one pony that would never deny her reassurance.

***

The shadows told her it was a scant two, perhaps three hours after noon; as usual, her sister was resting in her chambers, drinking tea made entirely too sweet as she looked over reports from the whole of Equestria.

Busy. Luna hesitated in the doorway was she saw this, head lowered, and started to back away.

Too late - Celestia had seen her, and raised her head with a warm smile.

"My little Luna - what a rare surprise to see you at this early hour!" She stood and walked toward Luna with sedate grace, pausing with a faint frown as she noticed the tear tracks still visible on her sister’s face.

"Luna…?"

"Tis… nothing," Luna said softly. "Only a dream of… of past insecurities, rising to haunt me in my vulnerable hours."

"Past?" Celestia asked gently. She lowered her head to nuzzle her sister lightly. "Oh, Luna…."

"I know it is only foolishness, my sister… I only…." She gulped, and Celestia nuzzled her again.

"Your feelings aren’t foolish, Luna. After everything… I…." The white alicorn took a breath and returned to her place, legs folding elegantly beneath her as she looked at Luna. "But I am here. And so are others… oh Luna, if only you could patrol and soothe your own dreams. Come here."

Luna hesitated briefly and then hurried to her sister’s side to lie against her like a foal.

"Remember always that we’re here, Luna. And I at least will try always to keep you aware of that."

A great white wing folded over Luna, and she snuggled gratefully into the elder alicorn’s side to sleep in peace.

***

"Twilight who?"

"Guys, it… it’s me. Twilight Sparkle?"

"Purple unicorn? At the library? Nah."

"There’s a purple pony I saw! But who knows that one?"

"It… it’s me… I’m the same, the same!"

"Another princess! Pah, who needs her?"

"Who wants her?"

"Spike… Applejack…! Rarity? Pinkie Pie… girls… please…."

"Relax, Twilight Sparkle. I am with thee now, and despite unsettling dreams thy friends are ever with you in their hearts."

Twilight gazed up into Luna’s gentle, sympathetic face and sniffled, wiping a hoof over her snout.

"I… I know, but…."

Luna smiled wryly.

"We are not so different, thou and I. You and I, I mean to say."

"Mm." Twilight sighed. "I’m just… I…."

"Are still you, as you say." Luna looked over at the silent dream figures of Twilight’s friend. "Dearest little sister… does any part of your heart believe this?"

Twilight looked briefly startled at the form of address, but shook her head at the question.

"I… no… but I’m scared, so scared this will change things, I…."

"Then you are ahead of us… me… for I once believed these dream whispers in my heart of hearts, and fear it will become true."

"Y-yes, but…."

"My little Twilight…." Luna paused, wondering at her own tone, but smiled faintly as she continued, echoing another sisterly voice of mere hours before. "Your feelings are not foolish. But I am here. Celestia… and your fellow bearers of the Elements… they are here. Remeber this always and we - by which I mean a true we, not the royal sort - shall try always to remind you."

Twilight nodded, smiling through lingering tears, and Luna nodded in turn.

***

Twilight woke as Luna nodded. Alone.

She took a deep breath to reorient herself, wings shuffling as she tried to arrange them comfortably.

Not real, a stupid dream, it would never be real….

A soft tap came before the door opened, and Luna stepped in, quiet and hesitant.

The two princesses stared at each other a moment. Then Twilight smiled, and Luna smiled in return, and the Moon Princess came to her junior’s side, legs folding elegantly beneath her as she stretched out a wing and Twilight scooted in close to her side like a foal.

A great night-blue wing folded over Twilight, and she snuggled gratefully into the elder alicorn’s side to sleep in peace.