• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 4,074 Views, 200 Comments

True Flight - Dasponi



Scootaloo got the two things she wanted most of all; she got a family and she could fly. There's just two problems; She already had a family, and there are lingering doubts about her ability to fly.

  • ...
7
 200
 4,074

Chapter Eight; Trust

Scootaloo came to in the evening, after all of Rainbow Dash's visitors had left. The room was still lit in case of an emergency and so Scootaloo could still see around her. Her eyes flickered open and then she closed them again quickly. Her eyes were unused to the light after being asleep for most of a day. She risked opening her eyes again and did so more slowly this time so as not to aggravate her eyes. She looked around and saw that she was in a place she didn't recognise, not at first anyway. She was also laid on her side. After taking more of the room in, it wasn't hard to come to the conclusion that she was somehow in a hospital. There were other ponies in the ward besides herself and she could see the moon shining in from a large window. She tried to move something and winced in pain. Her painkillers were wearing off and she was incredibly sore. She laid back down and took a mental checklist of everything going on with her body. Everything felt fine, just a little sore. The only thing that really felt off was her wings. Thinking about her wings made her remember the day's events and how she had probably ended up in the hospital in the first place. Her dad had come back and something had happened to Rainbow Dash. Something really, really bad. Scootaloo snapped her eyes open and scanned the room for any trace of Rainbow Dash. Her eyes were beginning to adjust to the light and the vague pony shapes around her began to form features. The doctors had been kind enough to place her facing Rainbow Dash so the pair could talk when they woke up and to comfort Scootaloo. She looked across and smiled as she recognised who was across from her; It was Rainbow Dash. For some reason she had Star Shine laid across her too. Nurse Redheart had allowed Star Shine to stay there with her. Scootaloo breathed a sigh of relief that Rainbow Dash was saved and her mind drifted to some of the better parts of the day. She smiled as she remembered something and realised something else.

She had flown and if that wasn't enough the fact that Rainbow Dash was safe meant that she must have managed to save Rainbow Dash's life. Star Shine hadn't reached them in time. The last thing Scootaloo remembered was flying just before she passed out. She tried to move her wings to see if they felt any different and let out a cry of pain. Something seemed to be wrong with her wings. She turned her head around to try and look at them. She couldn't see much but they were wrapped up in bandages.

“Try not to move them.” a voice close to Scootaloo said, making her jump. “Oh, sorry, sorry. Wasn't really thinking.” the voice added. Scootaloo calmed down when she recognised the accent. There was only one pony she knew who talked like that. Probably the only pony in all of Ponyville. Except perhaps Pip, but this voice was too deep to be Pip.

“Star Shine? That you?” Scootaloo asked cautiously. She turned back around to face forward and saw it was indeed Star Shine who was smiling at her and suppressing a laugh. “Don't make me jump like that!” she hissed, aware of the other ponies around them who were sleeping. She didn't want to disturb them any more than she had done if she had woken Star Shine up.

“I'm sorry.” he repeated, nuzzling Scootaloo. “Can you forgive me?” he asked, pouting a little. It was incredible how he could sound sincere and yet look so insincere at the same time.

“Aww it wasn't that big a deal.” Scootaloo replied, looking away nervously. “Say, what's wrong with my wings?” she asked, changing the subject. Now it was Star Shine's turn to look a little nervous and shy away.

“Can it wait until the morning? I kinda want Rainbow Dash to be awake for that. She should probably be the one to tell you...” Star Shine replied nervously. It was obvious to Scootaloo that something was terribly wrong. Her wings were in bandages and Star Shine didn't want to talk about it. “I need you to trust me, okay?” Star Shine asked seriously.

“I thought I could, but you don't tell me everything...” Scootaloo replied, looking down and despondent.

“If I told you everything, I wouldn't need you to trust me.” Star Shine said. He'd heard that in a radio play. It sounded appropriate given the current situation. He couldn't resist giggling a little. The sad look on Scootaloo's face left him feeling pretty sombre again.

“Why didn't you tell me I couldn't fly? Properly? I stopped flying. That's why I took the brace off, and then I couldn't fly again when I caught up to Rainbow...” Scootaloo asked sadly. She didn't like that something had been hidden from her. Especially something that she felt was pretty big like this.

“If I told you you couldn't fly, I'd be lying.” Star Shine replied. He didn't take a great many things seriously but he was deadly serious now. “You can fly, you know that. You flew in front of the entire town.” Star Shine said. He smiled a little at the memory. “Scoots, you saved Rainbow's life and I will never be able to pay you back for that one.”

“I really did save her life?” Scootaloo asked, suitably cheered up. Star Shine nodded and kissed her on the forehead.

“Thank you for that. You might have just saved my life too.” Star Shine replied. Scootaloo looked at him in confusion. “You two pretty much are my life now, no doubt about that.” Star Shine explained. Scootaloo giggled a little before looking sad again.

“Doesn't change that I couldn't fly. Or that you didn't tell me.” she said a little more bitterly than she intended to. Star Shine wasn't going to be able to talk his way out of this one so easily. “Or that you're hiding things from me now.” she added, another nail to the proverbial coffin.

“Maybe I should have told you, but I thought it'd be best if you didn't know. I'm sorry I made that call and decided things on my own, I really am. The brace I gave you to wear...it did a lot more than building up your wing strength to help get you to fly.” Star Shine explained. He was hoping to have this conversation under different circumstances, if just not at all.

“What was it for?” Scootaloo asked. Star Shine let out a sigh.

“Scoots...there's something I probably should have told you...” Star Shine began, mentally preparing himself.

“Mom said something like that...when it happened...” Scootaloo said as she remembered what Rainbow Dash had said right before she got hit.

“Huh?” Star Shine asked, confused.

“Right before my....dad” the word felt bitter on her tongue. No father could do what he did to their own child. “Right before he hit her, Mom said there was something she needed to tell me.” Scootaloo explained. Star Shine's lips curled into a slight smile. Perhaps he could get out of talking about this after all.

“Then maybe she should tell you everything. She wanted to you know. It was my fault she didn't. I think you should let her explain it.” Star Shine said. It'd be easier coming from Rainbow Dash. Most bad news was to Scootaloo.

“Again? Why won't you tell me anything?” Scootaloo asked. It looked she was about to cry because Star Shine just insisted on hiding everything from her. “I'm not a little kid you know. Why won't you tell me anything?!” she hissed. This time she really was crying. “Don't you trust me? You want me to trust you, but you won't trust me? Is that it? You think I'm weak?” Scootaloo asked, her tone getting more insistent and angry. Star Shine simply shook his head.

“You? Weak? Scootaloo do you even know what you did?” Star Shine asked. Scootaloo wasn't sure how to respond. She didn't fully understand the question. She didn't even know what he was referring to. “You jumped. You. You saw Rainbow Dash was in danger and you jumped. You said you stopped flying before it happened, and yet you still jumped after Rainbow Dash. With all that fear and doubt in your mind you shouted my name and you were gone before I even got there. The only thing that mattered to you is that Rainbow Dash was safe. Your determination to save her, your absolute will that she live, THAT is why you flew. You tried your hardest to save her life and you succeeded. You are one of the strongest and bravest little ponies I've ever known and I would trust you with my life. You saved hers, I figure you'd save mine too.” Star Shine said, leaning in close to Scootaloo. She absorbed every word he said and shied away a little when he was done.

“You...you really mean all that?” Scootaloo asked. There was a slight pink hue to her cheeks. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been complimented that much. Star Shine smiled, nodded, and nuzzled Scootaloo a little again.

“I'll tell you something else too.” Star Shine whispered in her ear.

“Hmm?” Scootaloo replied, wondering just what else he could possibly say.

“You can trust me when I say you'll fly again. You'll definitely fly.” he said vehemently. Scootaloo found she trusted him without question. “Let's just try and avoid making it the only way you can save either me or Rainbow Dash, okay?” Star Shine teased. “Now go back to sleep, we'll talk more in the morning.” he added. He gave Scootaloo one last kiss on the forehead and went back to his position on Rainbow Dash's chest. Scootaloo closed her eyes as she watched him go. Her little mind was full of questions but a few of them stood out amongst the others.

Why did he say that I'll fly again? Surely it's obvious I will? What didn't he tell me? Why won't he tell me? Wait...wait...wait a minute...

WHY IS HE SLEEPING ON RAINBOW DASH LIKE THAT?!

Author's Note:

This space intentionally left blank to increase upload speed. Now I've gone back to edit, I don't even know what I would have said anyway. Ah well, enjoy the chapter, I guess. Oh, wait, the reference. Me and my girlfriend have been watching Doctor Who and I could not resist getting that line about trust in there. I've been wanting to do that since I first saw that episode a few years ago.