• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 614 Views, 12 Comments

The Calm before the Storms - Shieldheart204



Twilight and Shield aren't having good weeks. Shield has to deal with fashion and Twilight has to deal with training, how will they deal with these situations?

  • ...
3
 12
 614

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

To most people it was a beautiful day in Ponyville, the sun was up, the birds were singing and the town was full of its usual laughter. Any regular human being would appreciate this day, for the heat of the sun was enough to brighten anyone's day and it allowed. And even people could hope to get a tan if they wanted to.

But this day was nothing short of a nightmare for Shield. He was not a person to live in the heat, his pale skin now drenched in sweat was enough proof of that. He preferred a cloudy day, a day when his biggest danger wasn't being cooked alive. People might say that it was his fault for carrying his crimson duster, but what was he supposed to do, not wear it?

But the sweat in his face wasn't all about the heat. No, the worst part was the azure-haired librarian next to her. Why in Equestria she wanted to join his merry band of asskickers was beyond him. Maybe it was female logic, but who could say. The truth was that her being there was the worst nightmare he could think of. Any civilian is a giant liability on the field of battle, especially when it's against a monster. But there was no way he would be able to get rid of her. The second he pulled her out he was sure the Princess would just put her back in, and slap Shield's hand in the process.

"So Moon, did you happen to bring me that overcoat I asked for?" he asked his friend as she pressed the brooch under her chin.

"Sorry, but they sent it to Cherry. You know how requisition orders go." replied Moondancer with a shrug of her shoulders.

Shield sighed, letting his annoyance be heard. "Great, so here I am, standing in the middle of a town so hot that it evaporates clouds wearing a wool coat and a dragonscale vest. How do you people manage to stay solid?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Then take off your coat if it's so hot. I don't understand why you keep complaining to such a simple solution. Or at least undo the buttons, sheesh."

"I would, but I'm wearing my vest and I'm sure people wouldn't like it if they saw me walking around with a dragon's skin. And I also brought Ash and Snow, and I don't plan on getting harassed by anyone today."

"Is it really necessary to have your guns with you at all times? I mean, half of your problems would disappear if you simply stopped acting so... irrational."

This time it was Hawk Eye who looked surprised. "Are you serious?" Twilight could only look in surprise at the girl's attitude, who was even shaking her head in disappointment. "This girl can't be serious. I refuse to believe that the Princess has such low standards of intelligence. I just... can't"

"C'mon, don't be so hard on her." Intervened Moon, her hand caressing the girl. "She's just thinking like a civvie, that's all." she then proceeded to scratch the blond head.

"If it's so simple they why don't you explain it?" retorted Twilight.

"It's easy, really." replied the little girl. "How can you expect a soldier to do his job if he lacks the tools he needs? If a bounty hunter came after your head he'd be powerless to blast him into dust. If an army of shamblers came through he'd have to run home before doing anything, and by then they'll have already destroyed the park..." she wasn't allowed to continue as Shield raised his fist in a gesture of silence.

"At ease Hawk, we don't want her against us. She's just baffled by our customs. Give her time, she'll see the genius behind it. Hopefully." he replied as he lowered his hand.

"But... but..." she stammered. "but I'm just..."

"I said at ease. Her brain is not tuned to the sound of war, but after our training course she'll be able to make snap decisions like a soldier. If not she'll die trying." replied Shield as he walked up the street where his house rested. He thanked Ysmir for the cloud on top of him, but then he realized that the cloud was following him. He looked up to see why he had a puff of evaporated water trailing him.

A head poked out, Eyes peering at the librarian. "What'cha doin' Twi?"

"Nothing yet Rainbow, and why are you here? Shouldn't you be taking care of the weather?" replied Twilight as she stared at Rainbow Dash.

"Do you see any clouds in the sky?" asked the tomboy condescendingly. Twilight simply shook her head. Rainbow turned her head at Shield "Hey man, how's it going?" He merely grunted. "What's his problem?"

"Your job." answered Hawk Eye as she turned to face the cloud.

Rainbow scoffed. "What's my job got to do with his broody attitude?" The soldier grunted in displeasure once more.

"He's boiling himself to death because you destroyed all of the clouds." replied the little girl. The tomboy drew some breath, but Hawk spoke first: "He can't take the coat off because reasons"

"So anyways, I kinda wanted to talk to him. It's about our friend Whiplash." said Rainbow as she motioned her cloud to follow him as she disembarked. As she landed she noticed Moondancer, to whom she merely extended a frienldy hand. "Hey how's it going, I'm Rainbow Dash."

Moon met her hand. "Aside from this blistering heat, fine. What's this about Whiplash though? I can't see the connection."

"She's apparently from Cloudsdale, and they met years ago." said Shield as he blasted his face with Snow's cold bullets. "God, I didn't realize that would actually work!" he sighed in relief as he opened his coat and shot his stomach repeatedly. The pistol slides soon burst open, hissing out jets of scorching air.

"Why don't we just go home so you can freeze to death with your A/C?" asked Moon. "Last thing we want is you spending all of your ammunition just trying to keep yourself cool."

"No kidding?" he replied condescendingly. "Me waste valuable ammo? Do I look like Cherry to you? I'll recharge the pack later."

"Look!" intervened Hawk as she joyfully pointed at the thatched house. "That's our new safe house!" Moondancer followed her finger, and gestured in approval.

"Nice place, definitely better than Catachan I'll give you that." Moon said. "So, what's this base called?"

"I don't know yet, though I was thinking of either Caliban or Tanith. What do you think?"

The dark blue-haired woman rubbed her chin. "Caliban Forward Command or Tanith Forward Command, I'd go with Caliban if I were you."

"CFC," though the blond soldier. "I like it! Once we've got the whole crew here we'll baptize this place and make it official!"

"Sorry to interrupt your dreamhouse ideas." intervened Rainbow Dash. "But I kinda wanted to ask you about Whip's fighting style, cuz sooner or later she and I will have a fight and I wanna be sure that I can kick her butt." Her sentences were responded with laughter from the male Commissioners. "Hey! What's so funny?!"

"Sorry, but you're gonna need more than tips if you seriously plan on taking down Cloudsdale's Guardian Angel. You'll need months of training to even dream about hitting her." he replied. "There's no way you'll get past her flails unless you can casually break the speed barrier."

"Ha! I can make Sonic Rainbooms whenever I want!" she scoffed. "Heck, I can probably punch you so fast you won't see me coming!"

"Really?" asked the soldier incredulously. "You think you can punch me?"

"Pssh! I know I can." she replied.

"I don't believe you." said Moon. "In fact, I'm willing to bet that you can't touch even a single hair on his blond and punch-worthy head."

"Oh yeah, And what happens when I win?"

"I'll tell you all the ways in which you can beat Whip to a pulp." said Moondancer. "But if you lose you'll have to make it rain on his house for an entire week."

"Deal"

"NO!" protested Shield. "NO DEAL!" Rainbow and the other Commissioner stared at him. "It's my face that's getting punched, I should be the one to decide if I take the hit or not."

The caped woman smirked. "You're afraid she'll be able to do hit you, right?"

"Of course!" he replied as he began ascending his porch.

"So then.. wait, WHAT?" came the surprised reply from Moon "You're joking right?"

"Of course I'm not." he replied in a very dry tone. "Unlike you, I tend to read on people of interest. One of which is clearly this woman. She has the record for fastest Seraph alive."

Moon paused for a minute. "Where did you read that again? I usually read the Legion Files whenever I'm bored, but I don't remember anything about this girl." she pointed her thumb at Rainbow Dash.

"The Canterlot Guard Report. They made a special twenty four-page document about these women last year." he replied, allowing his comrade a simple oh. "They released it last year, after the return of Nightmare Moon. Didn't you get a copy?"

"I did, but I was too busy to be bothered." she replied as Shield opened the door. "Thanks. Hey Fire, how's married life treating you?" She asked as she removed her shoes and cape. She also droppped her black bag.

Fire Storm gave an emotionless chuckle. "Nice to see you too Moony. How was your trip?"

"Fine and..." she began, before her eyes fixed on the young woman with violet hair. She turned to look at Shield. "Who's the beauty?"

Shield patted her shoulder. "She's Rarity, a friend of Twilight's. She's been kind enough to handle all the remodeling this house has needed. So if you like the look this place has it's her handiwork." It was at this moment that the seamstress looked behind her and realized what was happening. She patted her white pants and straightened her hair, extending a hand to greet the newcomer.

"Oh hello! So nice to meet you." she said with her melodious and cheery voice. But to her surprise Moondancer never met her hand, instead she kissed her on the cheek.

"Nice to meet you! I'm Leftenant Moondancer, and I love the way this place looks." Moon then released the buckle holding her sword. She swung the belt at the nearest couch and dropped her body onto the sofa. "Bloody hell. Who knew that train travel could be so exhausting!"

"No clue, now could you be so kind and get settled?" said Shield as he dropped the red duffle bag. "We've got stuff to do before lunch."

"Well then good luck." replied the blue-haired soldier. "I'm gonna rest for today, so go do whatever it is you do here and leave me alone. Unless you plan on going to a spa. If you're going there I'll come with you."

"We're not going to a spa." replied Hawk. "We're going for pizza, right big bro?"

"Of course we are! But first you'll have to enlist in the local school." A rather disappointed sigh erupted from the girl. "Hey, no school means no pizza. Now say your goodbyes while I look for something that won't roast me alive." barked Shield. He turned on his heel and took a step towards the stairs.

"Oh, wait a second, I brought you a little present." sang Rarity as she presented a large white box to Shield. Tentatively, he opened the box to reveal its contents: a lava trench coat. As his hands coursed through the red fabric he realized that this was really comfortable coat, and he also deduced that it would be perfect to stave off this heat. He shed off his old duster and tossed it over the discarded belt.

Shield quickly extended the coat and waved it like a toreador's cape, sliding his arms in as he tried to keep the graceful motion. He straightened the lapels and raised his hands above his head.

"I thought you might like it, especially since your other coats are better suited for the cold climates of the north. I would suggest you avoid using trench coats at all, since it really gives you an antiquated look."

"Thanks for your opinion, but the coat stays." replied Shield as he tried refitting the straps of his guns. "Okay then, so I'm guessing you're staying." he directed his head toward Moon.

"On second thought," she lifted herself up and faced Rarity. "do you happen to know where's the nearest spa?"

"Well of course!" Rarity said, she eyed her small golden wrist watch and headed for the door. "In fact I have to go there in a couple of minutes to meet up with a friend."

"Would you mind if I tagged along?" questioned Moon, her body unwilling to move. "I'll pay for my own expenses and you won't even notice me."

"Oh you needn't take it that far. I'll just ask Fluttershy, but I'm sure she won't mind." replied Rarity as she opened the door to the outside world.