• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 3,584 Views, 78 Comments

What Came Before - Lynwood



Memories of the apocalypse. Power unfathomable. Unseen controllers. History hidden. Fallen tyrants. Vengeful gods. War. Everything is at stake.

  • ...
21
 78
 3,584

III

Twilight was in a swirl of senses. A large array of noises, smells and sights had been mixed together for her to experience. Then, just as quickly as it had come on, the swirl stopped. Twilight was laying on her back, in the dust-filled room. however, she made no effort to move. Who was Dr. Hammond? Was he a god? A mortal? Who were the other subjects? Questions like these swirled around her head, but then she realized she hadn't casted the spell to remove herself from the memory. It must have finished. Twilight looked around the shelf. The Orb she had entered was sitting on the shelf, the first in a whole row of Orbs. It extended down to the end of the room, and every Orbs stand was wooden. Twilight was overwhelmed. They just had to be the rest of Cee's life! She couldn't wait to experience them all!

Twilight's stomach rumbled. She remembered that the Princess would retrieve her at suppertime. Twilight realized that Celestia had never mentioned history before the Hearths Warming Era, and she probably didn't know. Twilight was excited! She would compile all the history she found in the secret room, and surprise her mentor with it! but if it was going to be a surprise, she couldn't know!

Twilight ran out of the secret room, and felt around for the button, until she felt a section of the wall move in under her hoof. As the wall slid shut, Twilight made a mark on the shelf opposite the button, so she would be able to find it again. Twilight could hear hoofsteps echoing down the hallway. She ran over to the door to greet her mentor, right as the lock clicked. The door swung open to reveal not one, but both princesses! Twilight quickly recovered from her initial shock, and greeted them both.

"Hello, Princesses! I didn't expect you both to come!" Twilight blushed a little.

"That is alright, Twilight." said Celestia. "Luna has come to hear of your discoveries of Equestian History! She has been busy, and has not had a chance to catch up on the millennium she missed."

"Yes," said Luna. "I has hoping you could tell us over supper! Cadance and Shining armor will be attending."

Twilight agreed, eager to tell her brother and sister(in-law) about what she had seen. But Twilight wanted everypony to be surprised by her soon-to-be groundbreaking report, and decided not to tell anypony, until she was finished.

~-~

"-and so then, general Hoofingson ordered the charge, and the Griffons were overwhelmed! That's how we won the battle of Fillysburg!" Twilight had been telling everybody about the history she had learned The dinner had been long enough for her to tell most of the history from the thousand-year-period of Luna's absence. It had been a dreadful experience for Celestia, and the Royal Couple. Celestia had witnessed most of it, and Shining and Cadance were required to know it. Luna had been the only pony really paying attention so neither Luna nor Twilight really ate all that much. Twilight was about to begin another story when Shining quickly jumped to action.

"Well, looks like we're all full, and its late. We had better be getting home, Twily." Twilight hesitated, but decided it could wait another night. As she was heading out the door with Cadance, she could have sworn she heard the princess thanking shining. She shrugged it off, as she knew that her pre Hearth's Warming report would blow everypony away.

Twilight and the Royal Couple conversed about their day on the way home. Cadance told about how she had met Fleur de Lis and Fancy Pants, and Shining meeting up with some of his old Royal Guard buddies. Apparently, They had gone bowling, and when Cadance had hasked him how it was, he had merely commented "The bowling? yeah, it was, uh, great! We, uh, bowled a lot."

They got home rather quickly, it was close to the palace, as Twilight and Shining's parents had royal jobs. They all sat down on the big, soft couch that they had, and listened to Shining tell stories of his adventures in the Royal Guard. They were all tired, and eventually, Cadance fell asleep

"Shh.. Cady's asleep." Shining whispered. "Ill bring her upstairs. Goodnight, Twily."

Twilight smiled. "Goodnight, BBBFF."

A large cloud of magic enveloped the sleeping princess, and she was lifted off the couch. She snorted, and the two siblings giggled. Shining carried her up the stairs, and soon twilight was left alone, in the living room. She shortly got up and went to bed. After all, she had a big day tomorrow.

~-~

The next morning, Twilight slept in. As she didn't usually do this, and she decided it had to be from reading the Memory Orbs, and telling the history of a thousand years. As she came downstairs, she smelled a delicious breakfast coming from the kitchen. Shining and Cadance were making breakfast. It was Neighwegian pancakes, and maple syrup. They greeted Twilight warmly, and then the group sat down to eat. The pancakes were delicious, and they were gone within half an hour. when they were done, Cadance spoke.

"Twilight, I know how much you love to study, but can you come to the house early today? I wanted to spend time with you and Shiny, and we leave tomorrow afternoon. We don't know when we'll see you again!"

Shining nodded. "Yes, we would all be home around 3 o'clock, and then we could spend the afternoon having fun!" Twilight bit her lip. She was torn between spending time with her Big Brother, and discovering more of Cee's story. Eventually, she conceded.

"Alright," she said. "Ill be back at three." Cadance squealed in a very un-princess like manner, and enveloped Twilight in a hug. Soon, shining was swept into the fray, and they all giggled.

"I had better get going," Twilight commented. "I have to cram in as much as I can!" The royal couple let her go, and Twilight dashed out the door.

~-~

"Alright, Twilight. Here we are." Celestia opened the door, and allowed both herself and Twilight in. "I shall be back in the evening." Twilight blushed. "Actually, princess, could you come and get me at half past two? I was planning on spending time with my BBBFF and Cadance." Celestia grinned.

"Of course, Twilight. I shall come at half past two." Celestia left the room, locking the door behind her. For a minute, Twilight stared at all the Orbs in their wonder, and then shook it off. She had a job to do, after all.

She ran over to the wall with the button, and looked for the corresponding mark she had made the day before. After a little groping, she found the button, and pushed in. Part of the wall slid open, revealing the dust covered room. Twilight stepped inside.

The mare made her way over to the shelf full of the Orbs that documented Cee's story. She ran to the second one, and prepared herself.Twilight casted a spell to tell her when her time was up, then started casting the entering spell. She paused. She didn't know what lay inside, but she was about to find out. Twilight resumed the spell.

~-~

This time, after the sensual Swirl, there was no waking up. She was thrust into the white room, on the bed, into Cee's body. At the moment, Cee was eating from a bowl of oats. She had strange devices on her soft grey forelegs. On the right foreleg, the device was sticking out into a shape that resembled a spoon, only it was smaller, and modular. The other foreleg had a device on it, but nothing coming out. This led Twilight to believe that the tools could be retracted, allowing her to walk. The devices looked very mechanical, and advanced.

The door at the end of the bed opened, and Dr. Hammond entered. Twilight still couldn't tell what his hooves looked like, as they clacked on the floor. She felt Cee grow excited at the entrance of Isaac Hammond. She squealed in excitement, bringing the doctor to a laugh.

"Happy to see me?" he said, grinning.

"Yes!" was Cee's reply. Hammond grinned. Twilight was surprised. Given Cee's speech ability, she guessed it must be a few weeks after the first memory. Foals tended to learn fast. The doctor sat down in the chair next to the bed. He looked at Cee.

"Cee, have you been remembering to do your leg exercises, so you can walk?" Cee nodded fervently. "Good, remember how I said you would get a surprise if you did?" Again, Cee nodded. "Excellent! Do you know what the surprise is?" Cee started to nod, but then realized so and shook her head. "Fantastic! I get to tell you! Cee, you get to meet some friends!" Cee squealed in delight. She had read all about friends in her books, and was excited to have some of her own.

"Okay, Cee. Ready?" Cee nodded "Up we go!" said Hammond. He lifted Cee up off the bed and placed her on the floor. She wobbled, but stayed upright. The floor was made of white tile, and it was cold. Hammond stood up.

"Do you remember your exercises, Cee?" She nodded, and then started to wobble around. She bumped into Hammond's legs, pulling out another laugh. Hammond's feet were not hooves at all, but were oddly shaped shiny things. Twilight decided they must be some kind of foot, again, like Spike's. Except these had no toes. Cee turned around and headed towards the door, and the doctor opened it for her. She passed through, into a long, white hallway, lined with doors that had numbers and letters on them. Cee's room was at the end of the hallway. The door directly across from them was labeled "B-13" Twilight guessed that there were other "-13" subjects, and Cee was only "C-13".

The doctor turned down the hallway and they traveled down the nameless halls, for what felt like an eternity for Twilight. Finally, they arrived in front of a large pair of double doors. Maybe they just seemed large, because Cee was so short. Before opening the door, the doctor turned towards Cee.

"Ready?" he asked. Cee nodded.

They traveled through the doorway, Hammond pushing it open, revealing nurse Schott, and three other foals. Twilight counted a pegasus, an earth pony, and an Alicorn? What? Twilight had never seen this Alicorn before. He had a normal, green mane, and brown eyes, but Cee's attention was grabbed by Hammond.

"Cee," he said, "Meet subjects A-13, B-13, and D-13. They prefer their other names though, which are Eiy, the Terra subject," he gestured to the Earth pony filly. She had a reddish coat, and an orange mane. Terra? Twilight had never heard of earth ponies being called that. ", Beta, the Ventus subject." he pointer with his claw-arms to the pegasus colt. His mane was brown, and his coat was a slightly lighter shade of brown. Again, words Twilight didn't recognize. They sounded Draconic. "And Delta, the Ali Subject. Say hello, Cee."

Cee squeaked out a "Hello" from behind Hammond's legs. Then, nurse Schott produced a cardboard box.

"Alright," she said. "who wants to play chutes and ladders?" All four foals rushed forward, eager to play a new game.

Twilight felt her magical alarm, and quickly pulled herself from the spell, into the Swirl.

~-~

She found herself in the crystal room, and quickly ran out to reseal the door. After that was accomplished, and the wall slid closed with a click she ran over to the door, again just in time to hear the key scrape in the lock. Celestia entered, saw Twilight, and and greeted her.

"As you asked, Twilight, it is half an hour past two o'clock."

"Thank you, princess." The two exited the vault, Twilight bewildered. Questions had been answered, but new ones had arisen.

Author's Note:

Thanks for all the favorites I've been getting! Some of the names for Cee's friends might me confusing, so I'll help. "Eiy" is pronounced like one would the letter "A". "Terra" and "Ventus" are both Latin for "Earth" and "Wind" respectively. Beta and Delta are are both greek letters being the second and fourth. Thanks all you guys who are reading this story!

Jiggy