• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 1,691 Views, 62 Comments

A Moon's Tale - Dark0592



Luna finds her way back into Equestria and competes for the glory she deserves

  • ...
10
 62
 1,691

Chapter 8

“So where are we going again?” Dash asked as they walked alongside their horses, Winona pulling the cart. They had left that morning, having discussed the trip for a few days now. Luna was in Ponyville for a total of two weeks before she had caught word of the next tournament she felt was worth leaving her new home for. They were on their way to Trottingham for a qualifying tournament which would eventually lead to the Equestria Championships in Canterlot.

“Trottingham, we’ve told you this four times.” Spitfire said, She had tagged along to participate in archery again.

“I’m so restless though! We’ve been walking all morning.” The runner complained.

“If you’re so eager to do something then do something useful.” Spitfire retorted. Dash was about to retort when she caught a little bag of coins Luna had tossed to her.

“Why don’t the two of you go on ahead and start restocking for us.” She said. Dash and Spitfire both saluted, mounted their horses and sped forward.

“I suppose we should go with them, it takes a smith and a clothier to know good material when they see it.” Rarity said, her and Belle mounting Opal while Spike mounted his own horse.

“Shame Twilight couldn’t come along.” Applejack said.

“Oh I know, she loves Trottingham.” Fluttershy agreed.

“She’s gonna miss out on all the fun!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Well when she needs to deliver her research and present them to the college in Canterlot in person there really isn’t much we can do about it.” Luna said. The others agreed.

“So Trottingham. Pretty sure Pinkie here has a couple of friends there.” Applejack said, nudging the pink clad baker.

“Oh yeah, they like to work at the taverns and music halls playing music and making everyone have tons of fun!” Pinkie exclaimed. Luna laughed and looked up at the sky. It would be another couple hours until they reached Trottingham walking. After spending two weeks in Ponyville she felt empty now that she was leaving, even for just a little while. Most of her friends were with her, but she knew that without Twilight she would still feel the way she did. She wanted all of her friends to be with her.

“Well we’ve got to get there first.” Fluttershy said. They all agreed on that and sparked up a random conversation to pass the time.

---

Trottingham was very different from Ponyville. Roads paved with cobblestone, buildings towering over head and even the peasants looked somewhat well dressed.

“You had better be glad that I’m your smith, the only ones worth hiring here ask for far too much for the quality they pump out.” Rarity said, placing a much lighter bag of coins in Luna’s hand as they met on the outskirts. Dash put a few sacks into the back of the cart.

“We’ve got a plot of land we can pitch up on too, We’ll set up while you go and register.” Dash said, hopping off Tank and leading Winona towards said grounds. Luna was wearing her tunic and trousers so when she did as her runner suggested she received looks even from the peasants.

“I didn’t know they let bums become knights, let alone a wench like yourself.” Luna heard when she stepped up to the lists. She looked over to find a man in fine clothes looking her over.

“And I didn’t know they let people who don’t know respect become knights.” She said.

“Please, A wench like you wouldn’t know what being a knight is if it struck you with a lance.” The man retorted. She turned towards him in full, he gave her scar a look.

“Hold your tongue sir, if you can even be called that. Save your judgements until we meet on the field.” She said, nearly slamming her leather wrapped patents on the table.

“Transcribed by Twilight Sparkle, I see. Very rare of her to transcribe an unknown family crest, it’s not in our books.” The noble in charge of listing Knights said.

“Now what would such a lady as prestigious as her be doing with the likes of you? If the crest does not exist then this wench shouldn’t be able to compete.” The man sneered.

“Twilight Sparkle is my lady, and check the signature beneath.” Luna said. The noble’s eyes widened.

“Approved by the Princess, I see. Which events do you wish to compete?” The Noble said, albeit with a much more polite tone.

“The Sword and the Lance.” Luna said. The Noble nodded and handed her patents back. She turned to the bewildered knight and nearly got in his face.

“Tell me your name.” She said.

“I am Sir Steine. Second in command of the royal army.” The man said with a cocksure attitude. Luna smirked.

“Well then, Sir Steine. I am Sir Rose, I hope we cross on the field so I can show you what a foreign wench can do to a man with a head bigger than his helmet.” She said and started to walk off, but turned around. “And, for future reference, you report to my Lady’s brother. Continue your unknightly behavior and he will know.” She continued and left.

Night fell quicker than Luna would have thought, though she was still a little agitated from that morning. She was surprised when a familiar royal voice called her name and entered her tent.

“Hail, Princess. I should have known you’d attend the National preliminaries.” Luna said, bowing her head as she got up from her chair she was sitting in to read.

“Hail, Sir Rose. I’m here on both official and unofficial business.” Celestia said with a smile. They clasped hands and Celestia took out a roll of parchment from a pocket.

“The official business is of your father. We found a last will and testament, as well as references to more information about you. Sir Vincent Rose had a daughter, and on the Queen’s request he left the country with her. That means that he is, in fact, your birth father. The will’s seal hasn’t been touched.” Celestia explained, holding the parchment out to her. Luna’s eyes widened and it took her a moment to take the parchment.

“He was…?” She started. Celestia nodded and Luna opened the will. Her eyes widened even further, turning it over so that Celestia could read.

“It would seem everything he wanted to leave to you he already had, explaining the blood relation between you… According to this, information on your mother is in the Queen’s Archives?” Celestia read.

“I had no idea… I wonder if she’s still alive.” Luna said softly.

“I’m the only one that has access to the old Queen’s archives, I’ll get back to you on that. My work is done here, and nice seeing you again. I must take my leave, though. Farewell.” The Princess said, turning to leave.

“Wait, what was the unofficial business?” Luna asked. Celestia winked at her and kept walking. Luna made to follow, but was immediately stopped by a body crashing into her, nearly tackling her in a hug.

“Even if there was more than just one person who’d want to do that, I’d always recognize that head of hair.” Luna laughed, kissing the head of lavender hair.

“Three days hut more than I thought.” Twilight said, looking up with a tiny laugh. Their eyes met and they kissed.

“Now if you’ll excuse me I think I’ll have to take your bed, A straight trip from Canterlot to Trottingham is pretty exhausting.” Twilight said when they separated. Luna laughed and put her hands on her hips.

“Take? I don’t think you’ll be taking my bed, though I guess if you really want we could share.” Luna said, pulling her tunic off and plopping down on said bed.

“Gladly.” Twilight replied, not bothering to take off her gown as she crawled up next to Luna. They held each other for a while before Twilight fell asleep, Luna was a bit restless. She quickly looked up to see Dash entering.

“Good, she made it here. Some ass of a knight heard she was here and has been loitering around.” She said.

“If it’s Sir Steine tell him to kindly leave, and if he goes near the stables then my horse will kick him harder than any lance.” Luna said.

“Right, I’ll kick him out myself if I have to. He tried to bribe me to take him to her, by the way, so watch out. He’s not very Knightly.” Dash replied.

“Definitely Steine then…” Luna sighed. Dash saluted and left. Luna pulled the sleeping Twilight closer and settled down. She heard a bit of commotion, a man’s voice raising. It got closer and she was able to hear it.

“Hey, listen. You go any closer and that’s grounds to pull a blade on you.” Dash’s voice said.

“Get out of my way, Runner. I saw you go into that tent, that’s where the Lady Twilight is, isn’t it?” He demanded. Luna groaned and slipped away from Twilight reluctantly. She didn’t particularly care that she had nothing but her trousers and loose nightshirt on as she grabbed her blade that was leaning on a corner and walked towards the entrance.

“Stay your blade, Knight!” Dash said as the sound of two swords drawing sounded. Luna rushed out to find the two pointing blades at each other.

“A Wench like you can’t talk to me like that! A peasant with a tongue like that will lose it!” The man exclaimed.

“Tell me, how do you think a blade will hold up against a Smith’s hammer?” Rarity’s voice sounded, stepping out of the tent next to him. He turned, pointing his blade at her instead as he eyed the large hammer she hefted. He was surprised as his blade was flung from his hand by Dash’s, Rarity’s distraction giving her a safe chance to do so.

“Boy, Knight or not, if you think you can come on in here and threaten us in our own camp you’re sorely mistaken.” Applejack said, exiting the tent on his other side with her arms crossed, her arms enough of a weapon. He quickly turned to Luna when she drew her blade.

“Leave, Steine. With this kind of behavior you don’t even deserve being called Sir.” Luna said. She was surprised when someone behind her brushed past her, Lavender hair swishing past her vision. She was heading right for him. He seemed to grin, some ridiculous thought going through his head. She slapped him, hard, when she reached him and resisted the urge to kick him in the gut.

“You moronic piece of Shite. How many times have I told you, I am not yours. Stop following me everytime we’re in the same damned city or I will have you arrested.” She growled at him. He straightened up, enraged, and attempted to strike her back. She caught his hand and punched him in the face.

“I wouldn’t want to be doing that. Last time another knight tried to lay claim on me, Sir Rose unseated him from his horse. You just tried to strike me, I almost feel sorry for you.” Twilight chuckled. She turned to see Luna glaring at the man.

“Come back to bed, save it for the field. Our friends will take care of him.” She said as she passed luna, gently grabbing her shoulders. Luna exhaled deeply and nodded and they both turned and re entered the tent.

“If the Princess weren’t here I’d make you wish you were born a peasant…” Applejack said lowly. The man was surprised and looked around.

“The P-Princess?” He asked.

“And if it weren’t for the fact I’d like to see Sir Rose unseat you tomorrow, I’d have you expelled from the tournament.” Celestia voice came as she walked out of Rarity’s tent. She was talking to her and Spike about something when the commotion started.

The man said nothing as he looked around, there was blood slowly dripping down his face. He seemed to notice and held his nose. Applejack and Dash started laughing and Celestia chuckled.

“Try and touch her again and I have a feeling you’ll have more than a bloodied nose to take care of, that girl could compete and win if she wanted. Get out of here, before I decide to arrest you.” The Princess warned. The man huffed but did as he was told. Celestia sighed and looked at the girls who had come out.

“Thanks for that Princess, I thought we were going to have to literally throw him out.” Dash said, sheathing her blade.

“If he wouldn’t have left then I would have myself. And if she would have let him strike her, it would have been hell to pay. I’m glad you are so loyal to your friends, It definitely makes me feel better about letting Twilight travel with you. I also feel a connection with Luna, her father was at least close to my mother. I know you’ll take care of both of them.” Celestia explained, smiling at the three.

“Of course, we take care of our own.” Applejack said.

“It’s been a while since I’ve hit somebody with my hammer… I was almost excited for it.” Rarity said to herself, earning a laugh from the Draconian at the entrance of the tent. The others followed suit into their own tents and Celestia was left alone in the clearing between them all. She looked in on Twilight and Luna and found them asleep, though Luna mouthed a ‘thank you’. Celestia smiled and walked off towards where she was lodged in one of the better inns.