• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 12,846 Views, 964 Comments

Shadow of the Sun - moguera



Dawn and Twilight must deal with their own respective troubles as dangerous forces marshal against them.

  • ...
25
 964
 12,846

City of Games

Chapter 2: City of Games

Navigating caverns meant for creatures who could climb vertical surfaces as though they were level ground or take to the air as they pleased had not been easy. At times, Arkenstone had been obligated to carve his own hoofholds into the rock face to progress. With every meter, the sound of the changelings grew louder until their buzz no longer simply filled the air, but hummed through the rock itself. And yet, something was off.

Even after coming this far and penetrating into the very heart of changeling territory, even though they had every reason to be on guard, expecting some sort of reprisal from Canterlot, he had not been challenged. Though he could hear the buzzing noise of the hive growing closer, Arkenstone had yet to encounter a single changeling.

Finally, he reached the point where he was certain the sound had come from. The space around him suddenly opened up. The feeling of the air currents against Arkenstone's skin and the echoes around him suggested a large cavern. The buzz, which had only been coming from one direction before, now came from all around him. This then, was where the changelings were.

And then his hoof had come down on something brittle. The clean snap of the mysterious object breaking caused the buzzing to vanish. The chamber descended into silence, every changeling ceasing activity and motion. Arkenstone could feel their attention upon him. He took another step. Again, his hoof came down on something that broke beneath his weight. He progressed further, feeling more objects breaking with each ponderous step. Finally, curiosity overcoming him, Arkenstone reached out and ran his hoof gently against the objects clearly littering the ground around him.

They were plates, sometimes curved, sometimes jointed. Mixed in among them was something lighter, occasionally brushing against his legs with feathery touches. A musty scent, one that overpowered the scent of the changelings themselves rose from the floor. Arkenstone found himself all too familiar with this scent...death.

The normally dauntless Knight felt a shudder of revulsion run through him as he realized what he must be standing nearly knee-deep in. These were the shells and carapaces of changelings...dead changelings. Nor was this some repository of old moltings or deceased elders. The stench of death was too recent, too overpowering. This was a scent that could only belong to mass of creatures that had died within a very short timespan. The changelings had been dying...and dying in droves.

He shivered. He had been asked by Princess Celestia to determine if the changelings could be dealt with, whether negotiations could be made or whether they would have to be fought. But this...this was beyond anything he had ever expected to find.

A slight buzzing sound reached Arkenstone's ears. He could feel the vibrations through the air currents against his back as something descended from above. His ears swiveled to pick up the sound of chitinous hooves settling down onto remains nearby, snapping them even with the light weight of the landing changeling.

"Hello," said Arkenstone, turning his muzzle in the direction of the approaching creature, "I have come on behalf of Princess Celestia to speak with your queen. Please take me to her."


Twilight yawned as she stepped off the train and onto the platform. One look around confirmed the firm feeling already settled into her heart that she much preferred Ponyville to Canterlot. The constant sounds of the city pressed in around her, the noise of so many ponies talking and going about their business, so many acting as though the world revolved solely around them, made her ears ache. Ponyville was practically silent by comparison. It took a full-scale Pinkie Pie Party for the noise level to even begin to approach what a major city like Canterlot's was. On top of that, the gleaming white marble that many of the buildings were constructed from seemed to catch the morning light from the sun and throw it into her face, making her long for the much more earthy tones of Ponyville's houses and the gentle green of its grassy streets.

However, what really set her on edge was the magic. Canterlot, besides being the capital, was also the unicorn hub of Equestria. Thousands of them milled about, casting spells, using minor cantrips, levitating luggage, and generally filling the air with sufficient magical energy that it seemed to create a faint buzz that resonated through Twilight's horn, making her wish she had opted to ask for her room at the Royal Palace, with the dampening spells inlaid into its walls to cut down on outside interference. It was funny how she hadn't noticed the constant background noise of the city's magically active population when she had originally lived there. But after spending most of her time in Ponyville nowadays, the contrast between the two places was like the grinding of two rough surfaces together in her mind.

"Are you alright?" asked Arkenstone as he stepped off the train behind her, carrying both their saddlebags across his back, "You seem...out of sorts."

"It's just..." Twilight frowned as she tried to put her feelings into words. It was true that the sensory overload of Canterlot was off-putting, but that had never really bothered her when she had come here in the past, like she had for the Hearth's Warming pageant. "...I don't like the idea of it being so dangerous here. This is where I was born. I used to play in the halls of the Royal Palace. I used to think of this entire city as home. But now..."

Slowly, the beige stallion sidled up next to her and gently brushed his neck against hers. "Come," he said, "Perhaps a visit to your true home will put you more at ease."

Slowly, Twilight nodded and gave him a sincere smile. "Thanks Arky."


Scootaloo kept her eyes glued to Dawn as the colt methodically went through the motions of his forms. It was early, ridiculously early. Only the farmers, like Applejack and her family, or the mailponies were awake and out at this hour...and a pair of foals. Scootaloo understood the logic of it of course. The party had served as an extended holiday for all of Ponyville, with many of the businesses on the day after remaining closed while their owners recuperated from the town-wide celebration. In accord with that feeling, Cheerilee had given her students the day off as well, given that many of them had been out late, enjoying the games and treats that Pinkie Pie had laid out.

The day after that marked the return of the routine, meaning that, for Scootaloo, Dawn, and their friends, they would have to return to school. In expectation of this, the ebony colt had come up with an idea that he explained to Scootaloo at the conclusion of their day-long practice session. They would get up early and meet up, run through their forms before flying to school, just in time to be there before the first bell rang. For expediency's sake, Dawn suggested alternating between Melon Cream's and Fluttershy's home, the mare in question having breakfast ready when they finished their practice, allowing the foals to wolf it down before heading out.

Scootaloo had initially thought the idea to be ridiculous. But then her memories conjured the image of Dawn as he had been on the occasions where she'd been at Fluttershy's house in the morning, the colt standing outside as the sky grew lighter, unfailingly proceeding through his forms. Dawn was a colt who practiced what he preached, even before school had become something for him to do. At the very least, she could manage the same.

Using their magic was not permitted during morning practice, ensuring that the two foals did not have to borrow an isolated locale to keep from causing damage. Thus, it was safe for Dawn and Scootaloo to practice in close proximity to each other. Dawn proceeded through all five of his forms at least once, sometimes trying one or the other an extra time if he felt something was off. Scootaloo continued to practice the first form at Dawn's order, also practicing emptying her mind as she did so. To her surprise, she sometimes came out of her form to see Dawn staring at her, his body frozen partway through his own practice as he stopped to watch her.

At those moments, Scootaloo couldn't stop a blush from spreading across her cheeks. She noticed no sign of disapproval from Dawn at what he saw. If anything, he appeared spellbound, as though he had witnessed something beautiful. It caused a fluttering feeling to build in Scootaloo's chest that quickly prompted her to throw herself into her next practice run, if only to sink into the comfort of thoughtlessness for a little longer.

Now, however, Scootaloo watched Dawn as he continued to move through his forms. He went through the first form at least three times, adjusting the movement of his wings for each one. It was clear that each adjustment was for a different kind of technique. The first time, he used broad flaps, snapping his wings out in movements that were designed to compress the atmosphere around him and turn it into a battering ram that could shatter solid granite. The second time, his wings moved in sharp, slashing motions, the motions necessary to launch those blades of air that could slice even through pure mithril. On the third time, his wings moved in a manner similar to the first time, however, his movements were sharper, more thrusting, as though he were aiming to stab his outermost primaries through an imaginary target. Having watched him yesterday, Scootaloo had determined that these were the motions used to manipulate lightning.

Every time he went through a form, Dawn moved with a surety that spoke of countless hours of faithful repetition. As she continued to watch, Scootaloo was struck by comprehension, almost able to literally see the continuous practice sessions Dawn had done before, stacking upon one another in layers upon layers, like sediment deposited by a river. At that moment, Scootaloo was able to understand just how Dawn had become so powerful.

It had nothing to do with his special talent (or true will, as Red River phrased it), whatever said talent might have been. She idly wondered how many hours of every day Dawn had spent living in the Everfree Forest had been spent on practice sessions like this one. She could imagine the colt using his solitude to practice freely and without distraction, only having to stop to find food or fend off the occasional monster. That relentless dedication spoke of his strength and skill, which left Scootaloo herself realizing just how far she had to go.

Her eyes narrowed as she turned her attention back to her own actions. But I’ll catch up to him someday.


Twilight’s magic grasped the knocker on the door and rapped it against the wood several times in quick succession. She glanced over at Arkenstone, who simply swiveled his ears towards her attentively before turning back to the door. She smiled slightly, drawing strength and comfort from his mere presence. Perhaps now she felt alright with asking about the horrifying experience on the train.

That would have to wait a little longer though, as the sound of hooves clopping drew up to the door from the other side. The knob turned, the door swinging open to reveal a light-blue stallion with a darker-blue mane. His amber eyes surveyed the pair before his face broke out in a lively smile.

“Twilight!”

Before Twilight could even get off a single syllable, she was pulled into a crushing hug, her father squeezing her so tight that she thought her bones were going to break. "Oh it's so good to see you!" Night Light crowed proudly, grinning from ear to ear as he let go of his daughter, leaving her slumped on the ground.

"Nice to see you too dad," Twilight wheezed after finding the wherewithal to draw breath back into her abused lungs.

"Ah it's so good to have you back," he said, "You really should've sent us a letter to let us know you were coming. Your mother's out getting groceries right now..." He paused as he realized what he'd failed to do. "Ack! Where are my manners? Come in! Come in!"

He quickly ushered Twilight and Arkenstone into their house. It was a respectable two-story home of the sort favored by the middle-class ponies living in Canterlot. It was modest, especially by Canterlotian standards. The inside showed its owners' concern with basic comforts over showing off wealth or status. The walls of the living room that Night Light led them to were decorated with pictures of the family, particularly Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor at different stages of their life. Twilight smiled as she looked over a picture that showed her and Shining, one carrying a saddlebag stuffed with books (and a particular gray doll), while the other wore the uniform of a newly initiated Guard cadet.

Twilight settled onto one of the spacious couches with a relaxed sigh, whilst Arkenstone waited for their host to choose his seat before taking a plush cushion on the floor.

"Now then," said Night Light, grinning at his daughter, "What brings you to Canterlot? And who is this stallion you've brought with you? Don't tell me my little Twily has finally gotten herself a special somepony."

"No, not yet," replied Twilight, blushing furiously. A shift of her eyes told her that Arkenstone had barely reacted to her father's words. Whether that was a good or bad sign, she couldn't tell. "He's a friend. You should know him actually. You remember Arky?"

Night turned to take another look, a much closer one, at the stallion sitting on his cushion. "...Arkenstone?"

"Correct," replied the beige stallion quite casually.

Night Light's jaw dropped as recognition finally hit home. "Arkenstone! Shining's old friend. I can't believe it." He jumped to his hooves and rushed over to throw his arms around the stallion in a swift hug before grabbing one of his hooves and shaking it vigorously. "It's been so long? How have you been?"

"Quite well," answered Arkenstone, seeming unruffled by the boisterous welcome he'd just been given.

Night Light frowned curiously. "Just how did you end up here with Twilight?"

"I am accompanying her to the Royal Palace on business," explained Arkenstone, "I've recently taken up residence in Ponyville, so we are technically neighbors for now."

"I see," mused Twilight's father, "What prompted you to settle in Ponyville. Was it the scenery, or maybe the lovely mares..." He gave his daughter a teasing look as her entire face flushed a brilliant red.

"Daaaaaad!"

"It's a quiet, close-knit community," answered Arkenstone simply, "I've had an excess of excitement in my life, so it seemed to ideal place to rest my spirit for a while."

Night Light chuckled good-naturedly at his daughter's discomfort. "Sorry, I can't resist teasing you when I have the chance," he admitted.

"She is quite fun to tease," added Arkenstone, prompting a startled squeak from Twilight before she gave him a betrayed look.

Twilight's father coughed before changing the topic. "Anyway, all humor aside, what brings you two to Canterlot? Normally you'd be staying in the Palace."

"Uh..." Twilight hesitated for a moment before a nod from Arkenstone bade her continue. "We actually needed to visit and talk to Princess Luna. Because I'm not here on business for either of the princesses, I thought it might be better to stay here and not attract too much attention.

Night Light hummed softly as he mulled over her words before turning to look at Arkenstone. "How much does she know?"

"More or less everything," replied the stallion, "I've filled her in on the basics of the situation, what little she didn't already work out for herself."

"I see. I guess Shining was right to choose you to look after her."

"I'd like to think so. Twilight honestly doesn't need that much looking after, but I will do my best."

Twilight's head went back and forth as she listened to the conversation between the two stallions. "So you know about that whole thing with the nobility?"

"Of course," replied Night Light, "Why do you think we've been visiting you in Ponyville rather than encouraging you to come visit us?"

"Oh...right."

Night Light gave Arkenstone a dubious look. "I hope you aren't thinking of escaping the notice of the nobles by coming here. You've probably already been seen."

"Oh we have been," agreed the beige stallion, "I already noticed at least two spotters between the station and here. However, having to hear about Twilight's arrival from secondary sources and then spend time and resources to confirm those rumors will hopefully delay their reactions until we can accomplish our business in the palace."

"I see," mused Night Light, "I suppose that will work."

"We're going to head to the palace later this afternoon," said Twilight, "So that we can speak with Luna at the Night Court."

"And then you'll be on your way back to Ponyville?" asked Night Light, a little disappointed that his daughter couldn't stay for very long, even if the circumstances made it risky.

"Not right away," said Arkenstone, "The matter we need to speak with Princess Luna about is an extremely private one. Even though it's less popular than the Day Court, the Night Court still remains a public venue. Most likely the best we will be able to manage is arranging a private appointment with her at a later time. In all likelihood, it may be two or more days before we are finished here."

"Plenty of time for the members of the Court to come up with a plan of action," muttered Night Light.

"But nothing more than an off-the-cuff one," said Arkenstone, "Hopefully, we should be able to escape back to Ponyville before any of them can come up with something effective."

"What could they try?"

Arkenstone's ears swiveled towards Twilight as she tapped her chin. "Right now, the only thing they could use in Canterlot would be to try and bait me in with the rules of Noble Subordination."

"What does that mean?"

"Basically, they'd be making use of the fact that Twilight Sparkle is now a knight of Equestria, making her a member of the lowest rank of nobility. Because of that, the members of higher ranks have a certain amount of control over the members of the lower ranks." said Arkenstone.

"As a ranking noble, I'm now subject to the rules that govern the nobility," added Twilight, "In the past, the fact that I lived in Ponyville meant that I was still technically out of their reach, since they couldn't force me to do anything without being horribly ham-hooved about it, particularly since I'm just a lowly knight. But if I were to spend any length of time in Canterlot for any reason besides official business...well..."

Arkenstone nodded. "Fortunately, we have two assets. The first is the intended brevity of our visit. The second is the nobles themselves in that, in vying for control of Twilight, they are striving against each other and thus will seek to block one another's moves to prevent any member of the Court from gaining the upper hoof over the others."

"So it sounds like you don't plan on having any trouble this time," said Night Light carefully.

"Not if we can help it," agreed Twilight.

Night Light sighed. "Well, you're here now. We might as well make the most of it while we can. It's a pity Shining can't join us tonight. Luckily Velvet's just out getting groceries, so we should have more than enough for the two of you to join us. If you're staying the night, then this is a great opportunity to find out how things have been going in Ponyville."

"Of course," said Twilight grinning from ear to ear, "I'd love to..."


On such a sunny day, it was only natural that Ponyville was a lively place, particularly after the previous day’s storm had supplied much needed water to the crops, parks and forests in and around the idillic town. The previous afternoon’s storm had been an immense success, deftly saturating the soil and bringing new life to the faded vegetation as the thirsty plants drank in the long-awaited water promised by Spitfire. The success of the storm was a testament to Raindrops’ potential as future weather manager of Ponyville.

Naturally, after such a storm, the town was a hub of activity as ponies went about cleaning up after such a heavy downpour. It was but the first of many scheduled over the next few weeks, all the way up until the all-important autumn harvest, where the farmers would bring the majority of their crops in for the year. However, given the drought that had been threatening everything the inhabitants of Ponyville held dear, many of the farmers had been anxious over the fate of their crops. Fortunately, the recent downpour and the promise of more to come had relieved those feelings of anxiety. The mood was relaxed and largely celebratory as everypony luxuriated in the post-rainstorm sunshine.

In spite of this, the town was still engulfed in a flurry of activity that would have made it difficult to notice a new arrival slipping in at the best of times. However, when said arrival was actively masking her presence, even Pinkie Pie was left completely oblivious. Her grayish-white coat was so unremarkable that hardly anypony could have commented on it. In contrast, her grayish-green mane and tail were particularly notable for how damp they looked, completely sagging, as though the mare had just stepped out of a shower and gone out the door without so much as looking at a towel. And yet, not a single drop of water fell from that mane. Her dark-brown eyes, the color of wet mud, surveyed the scenery around her, not avoiding ponies, but glossing over them as though they were so much wallpaper.

She had the kind of look that would have driven Rarity to hysterics. And yet, nopony noticed the mare as she made her way silently through the town. Not even her cutie mark, a gleaming mote of silver that stood out against the drab gray of her coat, attracted a single comment. She continued on her way, silent, ignored, but with clear, deadly purpose.


"Hey Arky?"

"Yes Twilight?" Arkenstone looked up from where he'd been resting his head, one hoof calmly wandering across the page of his book. The two of them had settled quietly into the family library after spending more time chatting with Night Light about Ponyville's goings on. Twilight's father had been especially stunned to learn of the affair in Cloudsdale.

"Can I ask you about what happened on the train, what you did to me?" inquired Twilight nervously. Now that she'd had the opportunity, it was still difficult to work up the courage to actually bring the topic up.

"I've been waiting for that," admitted Arkenstone, closing his book and setting it aside.

"What was that?"

Arkenstone let out a soft breath. "There are many names for it; malice, animosity, bloodlust, murderous intent. When a pony comes at you with intent to harm or kill, she projects that intention outward. If she is any good, then that intention can be a tangible force in its own right."

Twilight remembered how she had frozen, completely unable to act or react. She'd been utterly helpless before mere intention.

"Nightmare Moon regarded you as less than an insect before her until it was too late," explained Arkenstone, "Discord was too busy playing games to hold any real malice towards you. Even the changelings that you fought were more animal than sentient being, their ferocity no match for the true intent of a pony seeking your life.

"The more powerful your opponent, the more powerfully they can project their intention outward. If I had not held back, I could have even shown you the illusion of your own death."

Twilight shuddered at the thought, not just that ponies were capable of something like this, but that Arkenstone was capable of something like this. And he had directed it at her...No! I promised I would never be afraid of him. It was terrifying, but he's trying to help me.

"Are you upset to find that I could do such a thing?" asked Arkenstone, as though reading her mind, "Or that I would do it to you?"

"I..." Twilight opened her mouth to protest, but found that her words died on her tongue as she saw Arkenstone's impassive expression. He already knew the answer. "Yes."

"This is the hidden side of Knighthood," said Arkenstone, his tone solemn, "None of us, not me, not Spitfire, not any of the others, have reached our place with clean hooves. The world is a dark and perilous place. Sometimes bloodshed is necessary, unavoidable even, at least for us."

"Why?"

"So that no one else has to," replied Arkenstone, "Celestia created our Order to follow the example of those three ponies who defended Equestria from the griffons long ago." His words brought back the memory of the story Celestia had told her.

"It may have been a great deed," said Arkenstone softly, "But a terrible one as well. They saved Equestria from invasion and conquest. But they did so by the slaughter of over ten-thousand living beings. I have heard that it was something that haunted those three for the remainder of their days.

"That is the real reason we Knights keep to ourselves and hide our identity and rank. We are not worthy of accolades and adoration. Our true purpose is to protect Equestria by bearing the burden of bloodshed so that the rest may live lives of peace, free from the darkness of war, free from the fear of having to take up arms, bloody their own hooves, and stain their souls."

"Y-you've killed?" In spite of the fact that she had phrased it as a question, Twilight had been aware of this fact intellectually. Equestria was supposed to be a peaceful land. But the lands outside of it were not so. Conflicts raged beyond Equestria's borders and many of its neighbors looked upon the prosperous nation with jealous eyes, eager for the slightest sign or hint of weakness. Of course Arkenstone had killed. But that had always been an abstract fact to Twilight. But now, she felt the truth terribly and viscerally.

"Yes," replied Arkenstone, answering her anyway, "I have sown death and laid down corpses, sometimes on a massive scale. I..." His voice trailed off, his tone rising the tiniest bit as he failed to articulate his words.

"What's wrong?" asked Twilight.

A shudder ran through Arkenstone's body. "Just a recent memory. It has not yet faded, so it haunts me somewhat," he said, his voice back under control. He turned his head away from her.

"It's more than that," said Twilight, "You're hurting Arky. Please tell me."

"It's just.." Another shudder... "I have always thought that, maybe our existence isn't as necessary as Celestia or the others think. I've always looked for ways to alter the course of events, to aid our cause without having to spill rivers of blood. Sometimes I failed. Many times I did not. I was riding high on one of my greatest successes, one that was lauded by Celestia as a deed even she was not capable of. But after that, I was reminded by what was either the brutal reality of the world, or my own failings at following the path I had laid."

"What do you mean?" asked Twilight softly.

"Do you know the real reason I retired to Ponyville, why I've gone so far as to set up a life for myself beyond merely preparing you to protect yourself from the Court?"

"Isn't it because you've done so much for Princess Celestia?" asked Twilight.

Arkenstone sighed. "When we met again, I was on my way back to Canterlot from my latest mission. I had been asked to venture out into the Badlands."

"The Badlands!" Twilight's eyes widened, a note of fear finding its way into her voice. The Bandlands were a barren wasteland that lay outside of Equestria's southern border. Little was known about the place, save for the fact that it was home to...

"After I returned from Saddle Arabia, I was asked by Celestia to go to the Badlands. I was to seek out the hive of the changelings and to...deal with them...one way or another."

A chill went down Twilight's spine.

Arkenstone continued on, his voice fading into a monotone as he talked on. "Tracking them down was not all that difficult. Their scent was easy to follow, once I found it, and I traced it all the way back to their lair. I...I..." He shuddered again, as though speaking had become so physically demanding that the mere effort nearly laid him low.

Twilight rested a gentle hoof on his back. The tremors running through the stallion's body faded as she gently ran that hoof up and down his spine. Settling down, she laid next to him, pressing herself firmly against his side and nuzzling up against his neck. It scared her to see Arkenstone's composure to be shaken in such a way. But it reassured her at the same time.

When he had first come back into her life, she and Arkenstone had fallen into much the same roles they had been in before he had earned his cutie mark. Arkenstone still behaved much like the second older brother she'd known since her foalhood. At the same time, there was also a certain quality of unreachability to him, as though, even with their reunion, there was a distance between them that Twilight couldn't cross. At times, Arkenstone had seemed like something more than a stallion, less like a living, breathing pony, and more like a statue to some kind of unachievable ideal that had been animated into a semblance of life. He almost always seemed to know what to do, what to say. At times, he seemed infallible.

And yet now, Twilight was able to truly appreciate how he had attained that quality; the burdens he had shouldered, the deeds he had done, both great and terrible. They had been etched into his soul, leaving marks that seemed invisible on the surface, but were still present nonetheless. It was this moment that made Twilight genuinely aware that Arkenstone really was a pony, an all too real one.

"Let's not talk about it now," said Twilight, "I trust you Arky."

Slowly, the trembling in the stallion's muscles subsided and he seemed to relax under her gentle ministrations. Finally, he seemed to relax somewhat as he brought himself back under control. "We seem to have gotten carried away on that tangent. Perhaps we should return to the original topic of our conversation. Where were we?"

"Intent."

"Oh, right." Arkenstone took a few calm breaths. "What you experienced from me was intent on a level that most ponies could not reach. There are a few, but almost none amongst the nobility, nor among those that the nobles keep on their retainer."

"Then why do I have to worry about it at all?"

"To prepare you to face the unexpected," explained Arkenstone, "We know that the members of the Noble Court have few ponies capable of malice on that level at their disposal. But they do exist. Furthermore, there is always the chance of one of them having access to individuals whom we have overlooked or who would look beyond their usual means. It isn't just ponies who are capable of such intent, but griffons, pachyderms, any sentient being really. However, if you can handle the murderous intent from a Knight..."

"Then anypony else would be a walk in the park," concluded Twilight. She looked down and studied the floor intently for a moment. "I see. So that's what we're going to work on when we get back to Ponyville."

"Yes. It is going to be unpleasant," said Arkenstone, "But it is for the best."

Twilight leaned gently against him. "I understand," she said, "I already promised this, but I won't ever be afraid of you, no matter what you do."

Arkenstone looked as though he wanted to challenge that statement, but he apparently thought better of it. With a sigh, he leaned back against Twilight, the two of them drawing comfort from one another as the day continued on.


It was fairly early in the afternoon when the fog began to roll in. The weather ponies were the first to notice the problem, seeing as they had a bird's eye view of the town. The mist seemed to blossom out of nowhere, like a silvery flower. Had any of them known where to look, they would have seen it streaming off of a single pegasus mare, almost like a block of dry ice sublimating. The fog spread quickly, washing over buildings and streaming down streets. The phenomenon was so innocuous and, at the same time, so unexpected, that the inhabitants of Ponyville were only able to stare as the mist engulfed their town.

However, wonder quickly turned to fear when they found out what lay within the mist. Cries of fear and confusion echoed through the air. The members of the weather team hovered in the sky above, at least those that hadn't been on the ground when the mist rolled in.

"What's going on?" demanded Cloud Kicker before turning to their acting leader, "You didn't order this fog bank did you?"

"It wasn't me," snapped Raindrops before turning to look down at the mist as it continued to thicken and solidify, rising above all but the tallest rooftops in town before it finally seemed to stop.

"Thunderlane!" shouted Cloud Chaser, darting back and forth uncertainly over the silver tops of the fog, "Thunderlane! Where are you?"

"I'm here," shouted the stallion from within the mass, "Where are you?"

"I'm up above," she shouted back, "Just fly up!"

"I can't!"

"Wha-why?" The troubled mare stopped to hover over the approximate spot where she thought she'd heard her coltfriend's voice.

"I...I can't...I can't tell which way it is!" To her surprise, Thunderlane's voice now came from somewhere else.

"What?" For a moment, Cloud Chaser's voice went deadpan.

"I-" There was a note of panic in Thunderlane's voice, that now echoed from yet another part of the impenetrable gray mass below. There was a ruffle of spreading and flapping wings, followed almost immediately by the sound of a heavy impact, a cry of pain...then silence.

"Thunderlane!" shrieked Cloud Chaser, diving down into the fog.

"Sis! Wait!" Flitter moved to dive after her older sister, only to be brought up short as the familiar form of a storm cloud-colored stallion in a silk shirt ducked in front of her.

"Don't," said Storm Front calmly.

"But Cloud Chaser...Thunderlane...!" Tears began to stream from Flitter's eyes as her gaze flicked back and forth across the featureless expanse of the fog below.

"You can't help them if you get caught up in this as well," said Storm Front firmly, gently wrapping a foreleg around Flitter's front and gently her pulling back away from the fog.

"What's going on?" asked Flitter, an edge of panic in her voice.

"Storm Front, do you know what this is?"

Looking up, Storm Front and Flitter saw that Raindrops and Cloud Kicker had joined them. The stallion turned to look back down at the fog, then turned to look back up at the two other mares from the weather team. "Where are the others."

"Snowflake and Blossomforth are missing," said Cloud Kicker, "I saw them go in to try and disperse it. But I haven't seen them since."

"Something's really wrong about this," protested Raindrops as she looked at the fog down below, "I can't work it like normal fog. I can't even touch it." She swooped down low and waved her hoof through the mist, teasing up some light curls, but nothing more. "It's like I'm an earth pony."

"That's because this fog was created through pegasus magic," said Storm Front calmly, "And her magic still infuses it. It's an extension of her own will."

"Her?" Raindrops raised an eyebrow. The way Storm Front was talking it was clear he deliberately meant that gender specifically, rather than defaulting to the feminine out of ambiguity.

"I've heard about this," said Storm Front, "There's only one pony in all of Equestria capable of this kind of magic."

"Who is it?" demanded Cloud Kicker.

"Knowing won't do you any good," said Storm Front carefully, "One of the most skilled assassins in all of Equestria is down there. This fog is her ultimate weapon."

Author's Note:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I took longer than I thought I would to get this out (Damn you ACIV!!!)

From here on out, I found it more manageable to split the narrative. So, from here on out, individual chapters will focus on either Dawn or Twilight, with about an even split between them.

Next chapter: Ponies get confused.