• Published 14th Nov 2013
  • 477 Views, 1 Comments

memoirs of a private detective: volume 1 - Inkwell_the_writer_horse



A private detective from the mean streets of Baltimare goes after the Equestrian mafia and pays the price for his curiosity.

  • ...
 1
 477

Chapter 7: "cold case"

I got my coat from my apartment and went to the bar down stairs. I needed to clear my head, and a stiff drink seemed to be the best way of doing it. I planned on staying there until last call, trying to block out the thought that I had no more leads, that I couldn't solve this case and that I'd have to look into those big blue beautiful eyes as they filled with tears of disappointment.

I sat at the bar and grunted

"Just the usual."

As I placed five bits down and slid them towards the bartender. He just rolled his eyes and poured me a glass of whiskey, It was dirty, bitter and rough, they say stallions share personality traits with their drink of choice, the resembalance wasn't hard to see.

I was on my 15th whiskey, when two, large stallions walked in, I could tell they were all buisness. They took one look at me and began walking closer.

"Can I help you gentlemen?"

I spoke with an audible grin, it didn't help the situation. I heard them pull guns and before I knew it I was holding my own gun and hiding behind the bar with another dead bartender. I was too drunk to realise I was in danger, but just sober enough to get a decent shot off.

I squeezed the trigger until I heard clicking, in my drunken state, I had riddled one stallion with bullets, and practicaly crippled the other one. He lay in a pool of his own blood, clutching his shoulder and choking back tears and screams of pain.

I stared into his eyes, when he finally decided to open them.

"Who sent you?"

His expression of pain quickly turned into one of anger.

"Buck you, pal!"

I placed my hoof on the gaping wound in his shoulder.

"Let's try this again, why do you want to kill me?"

He was squirming, letting out brief screams, before subsiding.

"Your worth ten grand, to the right ponies."

It was good to know my flank payed good money, but it didn't answer my question.

"And who are the right ponies?"

He began to violently cough and gag, before finally passing. I searched his body and found a book of matches for a bar called the cuckoos nest, I also found a casino chip, for one bit, wrapped in a scrunched up note that read

"Show this to the boss in the bar, he'll tell you what to do"

With that, I finally had a lead, I closed the dead stallions eyes and made my way to the cuckoos nest.