• Published 12th Nov 2013
  • 1,363 Views, 20 Comments

Equestria - A Nomad Soul - MattDrummy



This is the story of a man named Kayl Jaden. He doesn't think much about friendship or hold it of any value. But he's about to get a serious lesson from Twilight and the rest of the gang after a freak event with a mirror.

  • ...
10
 20
 1,363

A Lesson of Kindness

Kayl walked out into the main room of Twilight's house. Light from the early morning sun was barely creeping above the window sill. It was quiet in all of the house, all except for the loud snoring of Spike. It was a wonder Twilight could sleep with that racket.

His mind was barely awake, but he remembered the warning that Spike had given him last night. He was still filled with dread. And if there was a darkness in his heart, it would have soon consumed him. So what would he do?

"For starters, you should stop being so trusting of new people. Which is the lesson you were supposed to learn from high school."

As Kayl thought to himself, he wondered what would truly happen if he was thought of as an enemy.

"I doubt they would really banish me to the moon. That sounds too ridiculous to be taken seriously. But imprisonment? More likely. Perhaps even execution, if they were so inclined. I wonder what the socialists would think in these kinds of situations."

Kayl looked to the kitchen, and he became hungry. He also had a good idea.

"If my hope lies on the approval of these horses, I'll do what I can to delight them. Perhaps if I make some breakfast for them..."

Kayl had started walking to the kitchen as he thought, the soft, clip clop, sounds of his hooves against the wooden floor gave the soothing sound of oriental tea houses, something that Kayl rather enjoyed.

However, when he reached the door he found he could not push it open. Annoyed, he tried again to summon the will of his new found magic to open the door, but it rejected him. Try as he might, the door would not give way. Something was holding it still.

Kayl tried again to push the door through. It would not budge, even when he tried to bang it open. He had not realized the ruckus he was making until Twilight called from above.

"What are you doing!? Don't break my house!"

Kayl spun around and saw Twilight looking terrified as Kayl had booth hooves on the door. Kayl thought quickly, he must have looked crazy at the moment.

"I...wanted to make breakfast. It was going to be a surprise. You've been, uh, working so hard that I wanted to do something nice."

Twilight yawned, and the smiled happily. She was clearly too tired to read much into it.

"Kayl how sweet! Of course you..."

But then, she stopped.

"Oh! No, um. You can't! Not today. The kitchen is a mess and only I know my way around it really..."

In a heart beat, Twilight was down the steps and racing for the door. Kayl had to back away, mostly in fear that Twilight was about to run straight into him.

Twilight laughed, "Sorry, I'm such a forgetful mule sometimes. I'll tell you what! I'll make us breakfast, and you can...um..."

She looked around and saw the stacks of books she had organized.

“Go read a book! Pick a book and start skimming through it! And then I'll have breakfast ready."

Kayl refused to argue. He was fighting not to yell back at her. He wanted to call her out on her deception. It was clear that something was in the kitchen that Twilight was holding to. What was it?

Kayl nodded with a smile so fake it would have paled to the diamonds of Twilight's kindness. He turned and made for the books.

"Perhaps the cage for which I'll be put into shall I fail my tests." Thought Kayl. "I can't let it deter me. I've done this a thousand times before, I can fake it now."

Kayl sat down near the books, and decided to see how his magic would work on books. With a deep breath he was able to focus two beads of energy. With one he brought the book over, and the other brought over a small stool to sit it on.

Kayl started skimming through the books, but was not sure what he was reading. He understood it, or at the least he thought he did. But the kind of words he was reading about were confusing. Was the crystal kingdom a real kingdom? Or was it a forest? And what was behind that door in the kitchen.

Kayl shook his head, "Pull yourself together."

But the thought wouldn't go away. What if Twilight had no intention of letting Kayl go back to his own world. What if Kayl seemed too dangerous to them to allow to be free. He had to know. He had to confront Twilight.

He got up and walked over to the kitchen, he gave a call out to her before pushing the door in.

"Twilight, there's something I need to talk to you about..."

Kayl began to push open the door, and to his surprise he caught a small glimpse beyond it. There were bright colors flowing everywhere. He could tell nothing of what it meant, but he would not get the chance to investigate.

"Don't come in!!"

Twilight used her magic to force the door closed. Kayl jumped back suddenly. It certainly didn't seem like any cage, but he wished he had got a better look at it. After a minute, the door opened, though everything behind Twilight was as dark as the blackest night.

Twilight came out from the kitchen, with a parade of objects floating behind her: two plates of omelets, two big glasses of milk, two plates of toast, a plate of butter, a bowl of gems, a glass of water, and a bowl of some strange pellets that looked like animal food. She used part of her magic to reclose the door, and Kayl heard a very distinctive lock from the other side.

"Twilight, we need to talk..."

Twilight sighed, "I'm sorry Kayl, I know you wanted to do something nice. But the nicest thing you can do right now is to be patient. I promise it'll all make sense very soon."

Kayl could hardly hide his disdain, but he did what he could to change the subject.

"These books...I have no idea what most of these words are talking about. Would you help me?"

Twilight nodded, "Yes...let's do that! But first everyone should get some breakfast. Spike! Spike!"

Twilight effortlessly moved the objects around her to a near by table as she ran upstairs to fetch Spike. As the bowl of animal pellets came to rest, Owilicious came swooping down from the rafters to eat heartily of the meal. Spike came grumbling down the stairs.

"But why do I have to wake up so early?"

Twilight grunted, "Well, if you don't want the bowl of gems I have placed for you, I suppose I could find some other dragon to give them to."

Spike's mouth dropped, his eyes burst awake. He looked up to Twilight with a smile and declared his undying devotion to Twilight Sparkle, and then he raced to the table.

Kayl decided to set aside his problems while he ate. It would be hard enough to confront Twilight, but harder to do it on an empty stomach. As they sat down to eat, Twilight was the first to break the silence.

"So Kayl, I want to hear all about your adventures yesterday!"

"Why Twilight, I thought your spies would have reported everything to you by now."

Kayl's thoughts would have come out of his mouth had he not been in control of himself more. Thankfully, Kayl was able to keep a straight face with his reply.

"Oh, well I went to help Applejack like you wanted me to. I've got a pretty good handle on my body now. It's a strange thing to move like I am, but I'm getting a hang of it more and more as time goes on."

Twilight nodded, "That's great! What else happened."

Kayl cleared his throat with a smile, preparing to eat his food, "Well this all does look good. Oh what else? Well after lunch, Applejack thought I could use some flying lessons. Apparently having wings doesn't mean I know how to fly, you know?"

Twilight smiled, "That doesn't surprised me. Oh! Does that mean you got to meet Rainbow Dash? She's the best flier in all of Ponyville you know."

Kayl smirked, "Yes, in fact it was odd. Applejack seemed ready to deliver me to her. Can you imagine?"

Twilight gave a chuckle, "Well that seems weird. Because I hadn't talked to Applejack since the day before yesterday."

Kayl took a big bite of his food and chewed happily. He was delighted to be playing the same game he had always played. Here he was, in his element. Feigning kindness where all he wished to do was to play his hand.

"So what did you all talk about?"

Kayl swallowed his food and cleared his throat, "I'm sorry?" If he had not been so focused on his own devilry, he would have agreed that the food Twilight made was fantastic.

Twilight spoke a bit slower, "I said, what did you all talk about? I can't imagine that you spent all day not saying a word to anyone."

Kayl smiled, he wasn't going to give Twilight the satisfaction of knowing what had happened from his own lips. That's what her spies were for.

"Well actually, Rainbow Dash did most of the talking. She was excited to have met me. Apparently I'm all the news from here to Canterlot. She didn't seem the least bit surprised when I told her I was from another world. Almost as if she had expected me to say it."

Twilight laughed nervously, "Well, I wonder where she might have heard all that?"

"Oh Twilight," thought Kayl. "You are far too easy to read for your own good."

"Oh," Kayl continued speaking, "Well she did say she had heard all about me in Canterlot. So I suppose that's where she learned I was a human"

Twilight thoughtfully prodded her chin, "I didn't Rainbow Dash went to Canterlot. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they were talking about it in Cloudsdale."

Kayl neither knew nor cared what Cloudsdale was, but he smiled and nodded exceptionally. Just then, there was a knock on the door. Twilight nearly jumped out of her seat and ran head long towards the door.

"Who on earth is calling on you at this hour of the morning."

Twilight laughed as she reached the door, "Oh I don't know, maybe the mail man is starting early today."

Just then a loud boisterous sound from a girl came from the other side, "Twilight! I'm here! Rise and shine sleepy head!"

Twilight stammered and yelled, "Well would you look at that! That's my mail man alright! Spike!"

Kayl turned around to see what was the matter, but to his surprise he saw Spike sitting with his bowl doing nothing.

"What? I was hungry..."

By the time the door slammed behind Kayl he was too late. He had already fallen for Twilight's scheme. It was then he started hearing loud murmuring from behind the door. Kayl approached the door to see what was going on, but the two from outside had already started running away.

Kayl caught the sight of Twilight and some other horse creature running around the side of the library. But at best, he could estimate they were going to the kitchen, where Kayl could not gain entry.

"For a scheme to capture and imprison someone, this is pretty weak," thought Kayl.

Since Twilight was distracted, he decided to head outside for some fresh air. He wasn't too afraid of what she was planning. He doubt that anyone was so terrified of him, or else they would not have pretended to act so friendly to him.

The morning sky had come into view, but it was still early. In the distance he could hear the pulling of carts and the cry of small children, or perhaps foals would be better to say. The early birds were singing in the trees; several squirrels were scampering around for food on the ground; and somewhere off in the distance Princess Celestia was using her power to raise the sun.

Had that all been an illusion to? Kayl had not had the time to properly think over the weight of deception he was facing. He knew he was powerless against the creatures of this world, but what else would they be planning for Kayl? Then, he heard the familiar whoosh of a dare devil pegasus come from over head.

"Well hey Kayl!" Rainbow Dash came floating down to meet Kayl.

Kayl looked up in the sky. Not a cloud to be seen for miles.

"Working hard this morning Mrs. Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow snorted and shook her head, "Just call me Dash. Mrs. Rainbow Dash is my mother."

Rainbow gave a short laugh, and Kayl even joined her reluctantly.

"So what gets you up so early in the morning?" asked Rainbow Dash

"That's what I was going to ask you."

Rainbow shook her head, "Nah, I asked you first."

"Just woke up early I guess. Twilight's already awake, if you wanted to talk to her."

Rainbow looked towards the library, "Yeah I know she's awake. She wanted me to come by today to do her a favor."

Kayl turned a stink eye back towards the library. So Twilight hadn't been awoken so abruptly. And he had almost felt ashamed of himself for making so much ruckus.

Twilight came bursting out of the library.

"But Twilight! What about...!?"

The same high pitched voice from earlier was cut off as Twilight slammed the door behind her. She began to laugh nervously as she trotted up to Rainbow Dash.

"Haha, Rainbow Dash! You're here, what a surprise!."

Rainbow laughed, "A surprise? But you..."

Twilight laughed loudly, obviously covering up for her lies, "Oh let's not fret over details Rainbow Dash. Well you're here, and I guess that's as good as anything."

There was a slight pause. Kayl stood there, smirking between the two. It was comical to see the two attempt to cover their tracks.

"Oh!" Dash shouted. "Twilight, can I borrow Kayl for the morning! I want to take him to visit Fluttershy today."

Twilight was caught off guard, stammered a bit, then gasped.

"Oh...oh! Oh, um, yes! Yes! That's a great idea. I think you should take Kayl to see Fluttershy. Take him and make sure he enjoys himself. Kayl, you'll absolutely love to meet Fluttershy. She's just as precious as an angel, I promise you!

But I'll warn you that she's also very timid and shy. So try not to be too loud with her, or you might scare her, okay?"

"Just play along," thought Kayl, "Soon enough everything will fall into place any way. You don't want to burn bridges with the horses you just met. If I ever get back home I will never visit another ranch."

Kayl nodded. With that Twilight bid Kayl goodbye and hurried back into the house. As she opened the door, Kayl could have sworn he saw the same colorful arrays that he had caught a glimpse of earlier. Kayl turned back to Rainbow Dash with a smile on his face, but his mind and heart were full of frustration.

Rainbow Dash could not hide well the fact that she was in on this game. Perhaps she had merely slipped when she explained that she was there at Twilight's request, but now that no one else was there besides Kayl and Dash, she had nothing to defend herself with.

"So, let's get going. Ready to use those wings today?"

Kayl sighed, looking back at his wings, "Do we have to go through the same ordeal as yesterday to get them to work?"

Dash floated down to Kayl, putting a leg around his neck. She pulled Kayl in and, what best could be described, gave Kayl a warm embrace.

"Hey, no hard feelings remember? Just look straight ahead and don't be scared. I'll be right beside you the whole way, okay?"

Perhaps it was because he was tired, or maybe he was doubting his own resolve against these conspirators. Perhaps Rainbow Dash played her part too well, or perhaps she wasn't truly in on the tricks of Twilight and the other strange mysterious pony inside. Whatever the case, Kayl felt a personal bond with Dash. She had drive, confidence, and she was encouraging: all signs of a great coach and mentor.

So as Dash moved away to give Kayl his room, Kayl spread his wings and began to flap them slowly. He picked up speed as he kept the lesson he had learned yesterday in his mind.

"Bird's don't know how they fly, they just know that they can. Look ahead and don't be scared. I can fly because I have wings, that's how a pegasus flies."

As he continued to repeat this Rainbow was chanting softly, "You can do it! Be strong!"

And then he was in the air. The wings pushed him up with such force that he almost lost control as he flew into the sky.

"Yeah! Right on Kayl!" Rainbow Dash cried out as she flew up to follow him.

Kayl began to soar through the sky, wind blowing in his face as he flew over buildings. His wings continued to flap hard; his heart was pounding with each push of the wind; and he dared not look below, for fear that he might fall. Dash caught up to him and laughed.

"Look at you! You're really soaring! Hey, are you sure you're not related to Soarin? You're a real natural! Come on, lean your body to turn, like this."

Dash banked off to the right and Kayl, still ecstatic about the experience of flying, gently curved his body around. His wings shot out and held firm, and soon he was turning with grace. It all made sense, as if he had always had the wings, now that he had them.

"Come on slow poke. Fly this way and we'll get to Shy's place in no time!"

Sure enough, the trip to Fluttershy's cottage was short, and the view from the sky was amazing. But as they came to the edge of Ponyville where a dark forest was on its brink, Kayl fell hard from the sky as he realized he was not sure how to land.

Dash sped down and caught him just in the nick of time, and Kayl stumbled weakly along the ground as his lungs panted for air, feeling that each gulp might surely be the last.

"Whoa there! Maybe we should have covered landing before we got so ahead of ourselves."

Kayl shouted from his heart, "That was amazing! I've never felt such a rush! Is that how it is all the time? How have I lived so long and never thought of the thrill of and rush of the air through my hair, or the control of the world around me by the simple turn of my limbs. It's incredible! I've never felt so alive! I..."

Dash held up a hoof to Kayl's lips, "Easy there, you don't want to get too hooked on the rush. Trust me, I've got myself into a lot of injuries that way. Come on, let's introduce you to Fluttershy."

Rainbow Dash led Kayl to the cottage ahead of them. As he looked on ahead he was amazed to see fish swimming freely through the brooks, with ducks swimming with them. Birds were fluttering everywhere around the cottage, of many different kinds. He saw pigeons, doves, falcons, hummingbirds, and vultures sitting around the rims of the house.

And then he heard the singing. With in the house, a sound of chorus, joined by birds and led by a woman. Dash trotted over to the door, giving it a knock on the door. But then, the singing stopped. With in a moment, the door opened and there was another pegasus. Her yellow fur was barely visible behind the mountain of hair that came from her pink mane. Behind the mane was a soft face with charming, eyes. Her wings were tucked in tightly, but as she saw Dash, they unfurled comfortably as a smile crept on the meek creature's face.

"Oh Dash, thank you for coming." Fluttershy turned to Kayl, she nearly fell over in terror, "Oh! Oh my, you're an alicorn princess, I'm so sorry..."

Fluttershy began to bow to Kayl, an act that made Kayl incredibly uncomfortable, but not nearly as uncomfortable as being called a princess.

Kayl wasn't sure what was worse: being confused for royalty, or being confused for a woman. All at once Kayl found himself feeling both ashamed at his own bigotry and honored by this treatment.

"Whoa whoa, Fluttershy. You don't need to bow. This is Kayl."

Dash turned to Kayl as Fluttershy picked herself up sheepishly.

"Oh, Kayl," Fluttershy began, "I'm so sorry. Please forgive me."

Kayl now understood the warning he got from Twilight.

"Oh, no worries, um, Fluttershy is it?"

Fluttershy bowed her head and nodded quickly. And then, all at once it came to Kayl in his thoughts.

"What a petty creature. Pathetically sheepish. Such meekness is not real, and if it is it's hardly endearing. Where was the enchanting voice Kayl had heard from the garden? Because, it did not belong to this creature."

Dash gave Fluttershy a small nudge, "Shy, don't be so...well, shy! Kayl is from the human world. He's a friend of Twilight's, I brought him here so you could show him the forest!"

Fluttershy all at once brightened up, her wings fluttering out like a butterfly. Such a comparison would be fitting considering her name, but Shy was much more excited to hear about her precious animals.

"Oh is that true? Did you come here to see the forest?"

Dash gave Kayl a very big wink. So, she wanted Kayl to play along with Fluttershy, and allow her to show off the beauty of the forest. Fair enough, he had nothing else better to do at the moment, but wait for his fate. So why not waste that time in the forest where he could get lost if need be.

"I'd be delighted to see your forest," Kayl began with a bright smile. "I have heard quite a bit about you Fluttershy. You're the element of kindness I take it?"

Fluttershy smiled brightly, nodding her head, "Oh yes, I mean, well. I am, but that's not such a big deal. Mostly I just take care of the animals here in the forest."

Kayl stifled a laugh, "Oh, well, don't be so modest. If you're a hero of this land, if may I ask, what did you mean you take care of the forest? Are your forests under the attack of deforestation as well?"

Fluttershy shook her head, "Oh no, not that I know of. Come, let's go see them! The bears are very playful today, since they're getting ready for hibernation a bit early."

Fluttershy pushed past Kayl and Dash to walk around the side of the house. Kayl shot Dash a sidelong glance. He wanted to ask her if this was all for real. But Dash just smiled and motioned with her hoof.

"After you hot shot!"

Kayl gave a nervous laugh. It wasn't that Kayl had never been out into the wilds in his life. His mother had brought Kayl along on forest trips on many occasions. He very well could have written a book about his adventures with his mother, and I promise that it would be filled with many great tales. But needless to say, Kayl was well versed in such things.

What scared him was that this world was certainly not like the world he had come from. There were already dragons. What of the griffons and other creatures? Could this world have all the many kinds of mythical creatures that his co workers back home would talk about when they discussed such silly things.

As Kayl and Dash followed the exuberant Fluttershy out through the paths of the wood, Kayl had wished he had paid more attention to their ramblings. But at the moment, Kayl was slightly distracted by another site. A family of foxes, no doubt from the woods, had come up to join the group in their trip.

Kayl was dumbfounded, because even then several birds came around Fluttershy and perched on her back. And field mice were dancing around her hooves. Fluttershy herself had resorted to flying gracefully over the land, probably to avoid stepping on a single woodland creature.

Fluttershy was not protecting the forest from attackers. She was the care taker of its animals. And as it became clear, she was not only their watcher and muse, but also their physician, tutor, and even nanny. She conversed with them and helped any that was in need.

"Ah, the bears are just around the corner."

The declaration from Fluttershy brought Kayl out of his trance.

"Now Kayl," As Fluttershy turned to Kayl she smiled, "The bears are used to Dash and I because we come to visit them every year together. But they may not notice you. Please, be patient with them. They'll be more scared of you at first, but once they see us all together they'll probably be more curious."

Kayl nodded, he wasn't about to mess around with bears. Dash however, wasn't nearly as worried.

"You'll be fine. Bears don't attack the really cool fliers. Once they see you, they're gonna know what you're made of!"

Shy shook her head at Dash, "Don't you remember when you first met them?"

Dash blushed, laughing nervously at Kayl, "Well, you should probably do what Shy says any way, she knows her way around the animals better than I."

The three of them together walked around the corner. Sure enough, there were a family of three bears playing in an open grove. As they approached they took notice, the mother of the two cubs started walking out ahead, putting herself between her offspring and Kayl. Her eyes were nailed to Kayl, and as fear took over Kayl; he froze.

But the most amazing thing happened, and Kayl could hardly believe it. Fluttershy flew right over to the bear and nuzzled up next to it. The bear took one look at Fluttershy and they had an understanding.

How Fluttershy could have conveyed so much communication with the animal with only a look, Kayl could only guess. How anyone could be so talented, to be able to calm a bear by sight.

A talent. Is this what all the fuss was about? The ability to speak and calm animals. Fluttershy's talent, perhaps? Rainbow Dash, clearly faster than imagination can fly and a streak of rainbows left in her wake. Applejack, strong and diligent farmer of apples.

As Kayl was still recovering from his thoughts, the mother bear sat down and proceed to motion her cubs towards Kayl. The cubs bounded over to Kayl as he began to give a shrill gasp.

"Don't worry Kayl," called Fluttershy who was busy petting the mother bear behind the head, "The mother said any friend of mine is a friend of hers."

It was insane. Impossible for for Kayl to comprehend, it was, to be faced with such trust. He was a threat of darkness, a time bomb that was feared by Twilight Sparkle. But here, nature it self was bounding to declare friendship with Kayl. All because of the words of one pony.

Kayl stood still and watched as the bears ran around him. He smiled at their playful nature, but he was over all scared and confused.

"I don't understand. How can I be friends with bears. I can't even speak to them, and yet you call them friends. This has to be some kind of trick."

Fluttershy shook her head. "Of course they can be your friends, this is no trick. Why would it be wrong to be friends with the bears? Just because you can't understand them, doesn't mean they don't like you!"

Dash flew over to Kayl and laughed, "What's wrong, you don't have any bear friends in the human world?"

Kayl shook his head. No where in all the world where he was born could such magical engagement of nature exist. Trainers would spend years gathering rapport with animals, gaining their trust, training them, being with them.

And most importantly showing them kindness, as Fluttershy was doing. He found himself weakened again, and sat down on the grass as the bears sniffed him and climbed on top of him. Their warmth was a catalyst to his spirit, and words flowed from him just as easily as they had with Rainbow Dash.

"But such kindness, it only works on animals. People, at least people from my world are not moved by such kindness like you say. Kindness that you exhibit towards these animals has little weight when you are talking about true friends."

Fluttershy nearly gasped, but Dash held up a hoof.

"Yeah, it's a long story Shy. I promised Kayl it was our secret, and I have to keep my word. But Kayl, maybe you should listen to Fluttershy. If anyone could tell you what kindness really amounts to, it's her."

Kayl was numb from head to toe. Animals were appearing from all corners of the grove. Deer, owls, falcons, eagles, bats, wasps, and many other animals of the forest. It was impossible to imagine. Nature was not accepting of humans, it was scared of the dangers it brought, this was madness.

Fluttershy flew down to Kayl, speaking in as soft as a tone as could be heard by all in the forest.

"Why do you think that kindness only works on animals? Are we not all animals?"

Kayl shook his head, "You are perhaps, but humans are creatures of greed and malice. Kindness is wasted on us."

Fluttershy sighed, "You give the pony kind too much credit Kayl. There are plenty of pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies who let themselves be ruled by greed. Plenty others who are not caring. From what Twilight has told us, we can tell that we are not so different."

Kayl shook his head, "But it is different. Surely you do not show the same kind of kindness to other ponies as you do the animals. These animals must be trained. Animals do not gather around humans, they run, they're scared of humans. This is impossible. It can't be real. It has to be a trick."

Fluttershy stamped her hoof, "Can't? Trick? Impossible?" Her voice was stern, but still as elegant as ever.

"What are these things but distractions? I show the same kindness to anyone, whoever they are. It's true that the animals do not run from me because I care for them. But how then do you explain the friendships I make with ponies as well?

What about Rainbow Dash? I love her as my own family, and I show her no special kindness that I would not show to the animals here in the forest. What do you make of that then?"

Kayl shook his head, his breath was catching in his throat, and he felt something grip at his chest.

"I don't know. But such kindness is wasted. Friends can't last forever. They betray you, they hurt you, they will abandon you."

Fluttershy took a long look at Rainbow Dash. Theirs was a friendship as deep as the sea. They were as one, knowing each other through looks and observation. It was just as it had been between Fluttershy and the bear.

Dash broke the silence, "Actually Kayl, I have let my friends down before. I've made mistakes. I think we all have at one point. There are times that Fluttershy has made me mad too, but she's always come in the end for me."

Kayl felt himself well up with tears. He was humiliated, and had been ever since he arrived. He had never cried so much before in his life, and he hated it. He hated all of this. He hated being deceived. He hated being led around. He hated being belittled. He hated being controlled.

But most of all, he hated what his own friends had done to him. He had shown such kindness to his own friends. And they had repaid him with abandonment. He couldn't contain his frustration. .

Birds had landed upon his back, and foxes had started to rest against his legs. The entire forest was sitting with him, and creating a blanket of comfort to draw out his heart. He was powerless, and less than tears was his anger at the betrayal he had suffered.

"So what does this kindness mean then? What does it matter if you show kindness and you are betrayed!? You've hurt each other, and then what? Do you simply forget it? What is all friendship worth it is forgotten by inconsiderate acts?"

Kayl could not have known what Shy and Dash were thinking. There was a time when Rainbow Dash need Shy's help. Shy's fear had consumed her and kept her from creating a tornado for Cloudsdale. Dash remembered the time she let her ego control her, and she cared more of her own success than the friendship she had.

"Kayl," Fluttershy spoke weakly, "That can happen in friendships. But I would never stop showing Dash my kindness, even if she were to beat me away with all her might. Because I know that deep inside of her, and any pony, lies the desire for it."

Dash flew over to Shy and embraced her.

"Yeah, and sometimes it takes a great deal of loyalty to stand behind a friend. Because I know sometimes, even if you try to show kindness to your friends, it takes two to be friends."

It was always hard to relive hard memories. Still, rather than letting it split them, it brought them closer together. Kayl could barely look anywhere without seeing the face of some creature looking at him.

"I don't understand. I just don't understand...why would you show kindness without reward?"

Dash turned to Kayl, "Why should it be so crazy? What about you? Have Applejack and I not been kind to you?"

Dash's tone wasn't accusatory. In fact it was inquisitive. Kayl shook his head.

"No you have been very kind. But, you must have had some motive?"

Dash and Shy both shook their head. Kayl laid down on the grass. He knew they were lying. They had to be. Twilight was lying. There was deception lying all around him. He felt himself drift, and his eyes closed. Had he been tired, or had the experience in the forest weakened him to sleep.

Soon he heard the words again, and there near by in the darkness of his own mind was the dark alicorn again.

"Embrace the light, Kayl."